Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Is MOTOR Magazine Biased?
Yep, Sure are!! Stupid Bribed Journalists!! 121 59.02%
Nope, Ford just need to Improve on there cars 84 40.98%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2006, 08:02 PM   #31
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No I don't think Motor is biased to either Holden or Ford and I have a healthy respect for some of the writers, David Morley owns an XR6T ute and an AU XR6 ute before that and he pretty much calls a spade a spade. I would think they have a slight bias to Australian made especially at a new release but that is understandable.
Cheers
Bill.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:04 PM   #32
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No, I don't think they are biased. They have favourites and tendencies, but I think on a whole they are pretty good.

I'd bet $100 that in 18 months when the Orion Falcon is launched and Motor are raving about it in almost every aspect (ala BA in 2002 & VE now) the Holden forums will start a similar thread. And so on and so on...
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 10:09 PM   #33
Falcon Freak
Banned

I have been reading (Modern) MOTOR since 1986. The pro-Holden stance of this publication has been evident right from the beginning. The whole local automotive publication scene has gone to the dogs since Australian Consolidated Press (ACP) took over all the main titles. I would like to buy a non-ACP automotive publication but none exist.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 11:27 PM   #34
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think its funny how the mag being biased is only really a problem when it goes against us.

Personally, if a mag annoys me or is clearly involved in chequebook journalism, down the potty it goes.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 06:28 AM   #35
Abacus
Life's a Gas

On balance, the Motor crew are generally the most objective bunch in the Australian automotive media.

They were never afraid to call a spade a spade, and favour the BA/BF XR8 over the VZ SS, even though the SS had the better engine. They always noted that the XR was the better all round package.

The simple fact is Holden have raised the rung and its Ford's turn to play catch-up. That's the way of the world. You can't blame Motor magazine for that.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 09:11 AM   #36
killer_taxi

I’m puzzled on how the VE SS managed to beat the BF Typhoon over both the 0-400m and 0-100km/h. Both have 270kW, however the Typhoon has 20Nm more while carrying only 6kg more in weight. Could this acceleration off the line be all down to the VE’s new drive train? I don’t think so. I’d like to see that test vehicle on a dyno. If the power was found to be over what Holden quotes, couldn’t that be a form of false advertising?
killer_taxi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 09:49 AM   #37
Boss 290

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_taxi
I’m puzzled on how the VE SS managed to beat the BF Typhoon over both the 0-400m and 0-100km/h. Both have 270kW, however the Typhoon has 20Nm more while carrying only 6kg more in weight. Could this acceleration off the line be all down to the VE’s new drive train? I don’t think so. I’d like to see that test vehicle on a dyno. If the power was found to be over what Holden quotes, couldn’t that be a form of false advertising?
its faster then a stock vz clubby which had the same torque, 30 kilowatts of power and over 100 kilos lighter? i wonder how they can do it too...this new gearbox must be brilliant
Boss 290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 10:28 AM   #38
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Given that the power, torque and weight are very similar to the F6 and that the SS has a brand new chassis and suspension set-up optimised for straight line performance (in the case of the SS) + better tyres then I dont see how those very similar times are at all unbelievable.

In the case of VZ vs VE SS times then yes i also find it a bit puzzling - but I guess chassis/suspension and tyres can give a pretty big difference in times.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 10:48 AM   #39
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
I think it's the phoon that needs to be on the dyno
Also take into account the weight distribution and just maybe on the day when the times were done conditions might have been slightly different driver reaction foot to floor gear shifts anything can knock .1 or more off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
Given that the power, torque and weight are very similar to the F6 and that the SS has a brand new chassis and suspension set-up optimised for straight line performance (in the case of the SS) + better tyres then I dont see how those very similar times are at all unbelievable.

In the case of VZ vs VE SS times then yes i also find it a bit puzzling - but I guess chassis/suspension and tyres can give a pretty big difference in times.
It's more then a straight line weapon now they have added handling to it's repertoire.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:51 AM   #40
XAGSV8
Member 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKPhoon
I love this type of crap... :

Anytime Ford loose a camparision some people on here cry, "biased magazines" : No one complains when they print "F6 - Wins PCOTY"

We do know that Holden (with proof from Motor magazine) have previously provided them with "enhanced" cars for certain tests but that is hardly the fault of the magazine.

Can everyone just accept that sometimes... SHOCK HORROR... the Ford is not the best car in the camparison... as someone else stated when the BA came out it was the Holden guys who cried that the magazine was biased to Ford and they had paid huge bucks to ensure they finally won something. Jsmilie:
I'm with him. Get over it.

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
XAGSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 11:26 AM   #41
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKPhoon
I love this type of crap... :

Anytime Ford loose a camparision some people on here cry, "biased magazines" : No one complains when they print "F6 - Wins PCOTY"

We do know that Holden (with proof from Motor magazine) have previously provided them with "enhanced" cars for certain tests but that is hardly the fault of the magazine.

Can everyone just accept that sometimes... SHOCK HORROR... the Ford is not the best car in the camparison... as someone else stated when the BA came out it was the Holden guys who cried that the magazine was biased to Ford and they had paid huge bucks to ensure they finally won something. Jsmilie:
Well said. The Falcon is certainly by no means the final word in motor vehicles and some people need to accept that sometimes credit is due elsewhere, which I think has been an issue AFF has struggled with in the past.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 09:17 PM   #42
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't buy any of these magazine other than for some pictures of them. Really you're not going to buy a car based on what a magazine says are you? Put your bum in both and come to your own conclusion
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 10:44 PM   #43
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya
Another question to ask. With the ne VE weighing over 100kg more then the VZ, how can the Journo's get the thing doing a qtr of 13.4? Lets look at it, They didn't get close to 13.4 with the VZ and the power inc is only 10kW and 30Nm. Are Holden providing the journos with the HSV tuned engine or have Holden increased the driveline losses but crapper loads.
if im not mistaken all the fords were autos and the holden was a manual, not really a fair test
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 10:46 PM   #44
MattyJ

MOTOR used to hype up the BA's over the VY's and VZ's - now that the VE is out they're back with Holden. I don't think they're biased - the VE is just a brilliant car.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2006, 07:40 AM   #45
red_hotxr6
Banned

Does any one know why STREET FORDS magazines has not come out this month.?
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2006, 09:25 AM   #46
Rob
Living the dream

Motoring journos depend on controversy to stimulate interest, like all other journalists. If the conclusion to a BF XR8 vs VE SS comparo was something like:

"Both are nice cars. We couldnt pick a winner."

...the magazine would probably get mighty boring real fast. People want to see a winner and loser in most cases.

They're paid to say something, so they've got to can one car and praise the other.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2006, 10:04 AM   #47
duz
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
if im not mistaken all the fords were autos and the holden was a manual, not really a fair test
Yes the F6 was an auto, but the XR6T was a manual
duz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2006, 10:05 AM   #48
red_hotxr6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC
Motoring journos depend on controversy to stimulate interest, like all other journalists. If the conclusion to a BF XR8 vs VE SS comparo was something like:

"Both are nice cars. We couldnt pick a winner."

...the magazine would probably get mighty boring real fast. People want to see a winner and loser in most cases.

They're paid to say something, so they've got to can one car and praise the other.
Fair and unbiased.. dont they realise that could cost a car company a few thousand cars, which in turn means keeping workers working.?
Old 13-10-2006, 12:38 PM   #49
aualright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M
No I don't think Motor is biased to either Holden or Ford and I have a healthy respect for some of the writers, David Morley owns an XR6T ute and an AU XR6 ute before that and he pretty much calls a spade a spade. I would think they have a slight bias to Australian made especially at a new release but that is understandable.
Cheers
Bill.
And Morley has been bagged for being bias towards Ford, particulary after he wrote an article about Ford's export program. The essence of the story was that Holden gets alot of exposure exporting cars to the Middle East but Ford gets little acknowledgement for exporting 'smarts'. He also brought up the topic of profit over market share...and how Ford Australia's profit margins per unit were superior to the other mob.

Seemed anything but bias to Holden.
aualright is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2006, 07:14 PM   #50
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

The magazine has a lot of different contributions...many journalists all with different views and then at the end of the production line you have an editor who reviews the entire thing. It's a tad hard to point fingers but its not hard to belive that a journalist would be a tad biassed one way or annother be it holden, ford, VW, BMW, Dodge, Cheverolet. They're all human after all.
Old 13-10-2006, 09:09 PM   #51
Donut King
Officially Unemployed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hotxr6
Does any one know why STREET FORDS magazines has not come out this month.?
SF is out on the shelves now ;)

Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2006, 11:43 PM   #52
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut King
SF is out on the shelves now ;)
is that the one with the riced white XR6? with fake carbon fibre everywhere?

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2006, 07:33 AM   #53
red_hotxr6
Banned

There is a nice xd in there with 11.6 @ 113mph, not bad.
Old 14-10-2006, 10:08 AM   #54
Donut King
Officially Unemployed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonkoXR8
is that the one with the riced white XR6? with fake carbon fibre everywhere?
The editor drives a white XR6 turbo, it has carbon on the bonnet and bootlid, the roof has a printed vinyl carbon sticker on it cos it was going to be too hard to do in the real stuff

Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2006, 11:58 AM   #55
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
I have found both mags to be very contradicting at times with what they right on both sides.
But the VE is in every way better then it's predecessor and it's showing.
Holden just hopes that it sells on the showroom floor.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2006, 12:46 PM   #56
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Holden just hopes that it sells on the showroom floor.
I think the days of 7000 units in a month is long gone. But 5000+ will be the go now if they can keep it up?. So far it's doing OK and they are getting around.
Old 14-10-2006, 04:50 PM   #57
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
I think the days of 7000 units in a month is long gone. But 5000+ will be the go now if they can keep it up?. So far it's doing OK and they are getting around.
Remember the 5000 units will inc VZ's. I'm just hearing talk that Holden have been very worried in the last two weeks with dealers not wanting more VE's in their yard.
Old 14-10-2006, 06:42 PM   #58
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

If you had seen the dealers i have seen they are so full with new stock there is no more room for them too fit.
Last one i was at they had the new LWB models on the laws 10 of them.
Old 14-10-2006, 06:49 PM   #59
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
If you had seen the dealers i have seen they are so full with new stock there is no more room for them too fit.
Last one i was at they had the new LWB models on the laws 10 of them.

Thats the problem. Full of stock and not moving them.
Old 14-10-2006, 06:50 PM   #60
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

If you see in 2 min too same models and colours there moving.