Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-01-2007, 11:14 AM   #31
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Have a good mate who works for a large retailer's vehicle service arm.

Whilst the wage for 2IC might not ignite fires of excitement (around $18/hr IIRC), with overtime and store performance bonuses... he frequently takes home $700 a week. Now, i know there's a few people bragging about their tax bill being higer than this... but down here in the real world, $700 clear is a decent living.

But this is one of those guys who just LOVES working on cars and LOVES helping people get their cars fixed up. As a result, he does a great job, customers are always wrapped, they come back, they tell their friends... the bonuses keep rolling in...

Sounds like the place of employment is the key to how much someone likes/dislikes this line of work??
Old 31-01-2007, 11:23 AM   #32
El_Poochino

Well, you can go to Mackay. Beaut of a city, close to mines, dodegy Qld laws. But from what I've heard you need connections to get into the mines.

Other alternatives are oil rigs. Knew a mechanic that was at the local Ford dealership, didn't stay for long. Worked on the rigs for a few months, and is better off. You don't spend a dime while your out there. Good wages (not sure how much) then you get a month or two off, plenty of time to bolt that big ol turbo on the E(A-B-D ect)

The only other place I can think of is BHP in Wollongong, first year engineering students showing up in BHP kit. Looks like there paid to study. And from what I have heard wages start at very good levels. And the (good) parts of Wollongong are very nice, there is also dodgey suburbs if you want to do it on the cheap.

The main problem with all 3 is getting your foot in the door.
El_Poochino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 11:28 AM   #33
coupdy do

I totally agree i did a Useless apprenticeship haven't and will not work in the trade again shite pay, dealing with the idiots in the public. (optics don't bother with it- only the optometists make any money)
You should have done a spraypainting apprenticeship a guy on here the other week was paying his 4th year over 50k or the same for builders or carpenters (jesus was a carpenter thats how old the **** is)
There should be a minimum trade rate, if your going to do an appenticesship then you should be guarenteed a decent wage (i.e atm it should be around 50k at least, optics only pays ~34k)

:
coupdy do is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 11:30 AM   #34
mowog
Discovery 4

[QUOTE=4.9 EF Futura]
Now, i know there's a few people bragging about their tax bill being higer than this... but down here in the real world, $700 clear is a decent living./QUOTE]

It wasn't intended as a bragg in my case... It was just my way of dealing with Mr wont get out of bed for less than $250...

I lived and worked for a long time as single income family with 3 kids earning around $700 a week (and less) Which is why I looked for a way out of being a Tradie. There are options if you have the skills to learn a trade then its never to late to learn new things. You might have to do some part time study to get there but if you pick the right path it will be worth it.
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
mowog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 11:43 AM   #35
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was about to start an apprenticeship back in 2000, but the mechanics there basically talked me out of it. The question they asked was "do you like being at the bottom of the food chain". Their basic argument was you work your a*se off and get paid nothing for it.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 12:23 PM   #36
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Join the Airforce. You'll use your skills, aquire more, get mega benefits and work on new technolgy.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 12:26 PM   #37
Ringo
I see you....

I used to be a mechanic, now I work for a fleet leasing company.

Its far from ideal but it has worked for me. Leasing company's are full of finance orientated people so laterel thinking mechanics are pretty handy people to have around.

They can translate numbers on a page into what it means to the car in question...it is easy if your car orientated but the majority are not.

I sit in front of a computer all day and the office is not always a great place to be (today is sunny 24 degrees and i'm inside...bugger) but i'm paid (a lot) more, have clean hands, my car industry knowledge is respected and I have a career path to follow and develop my business acumen.

I got in here through being a Maintenance Controller (talking to dealer servicnig our cars...and arguing about costs, book times, labour rates etc ) which was a good job.

If you think you could handle being away from a workshop, are reliable, have good communication and can drive a computer (data entry only really - basic excel would be a bonus) then it could be an option for you.

You don't say where abouts you are?

I echo what else has been said about going diesel but a lot of trades are well paid and in demand. I wish I had thought about being a sparky or builder - good $$, and widley applicable skills.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 12:36 PM   #38
perthxr6t
PERTHXR6T

All Apprenticeships get crappy wages all of us know this but if you want to leave the city for a job maybe fly in fly out you'll get good money in the mines i'm on $2500 Net a week. It's taken some years to get to this wage and alot of hard work and putting up with alot of crap but i stuck at it and i'm now reaping the rewards.

Fly in and fly out is not for everyone and i for one would never work at a car dealership but there are plenty of road transport companies to work around town.

Take a week off and go and suss it all out they are screaming for good mechanics Australia wide and if you can't get more than $25 plus an hour in the city and $35 per hour in the mines you ain't looking hard enough.

You got 4 years of crappy wages as an apprentice but out of that you have a trade so go and work it for all it's worth the money is out there just waiting for you pick it up.

It's not hard to get into Diesel mechanics if anything it's easier as the gear is bigger to work on but you will have days when you get covered in crap on the mines and it doesn't have to be underground there are plenty of open cut mines out there.

Go and see people like Skilled Engineering etc etc and check out what they have to say.

Panther Black XR5T Mondeo
Sunroof
BlueTooth
Mods So Far

Air Box Mod
Lowered Eibach Springs 25mm
Alloy foot Pedals
Waiting for the Edit to come
Custom Cat Back Zorst
perthxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 12:58 PM   #39
Ringo
I see you....

I forgot to add that I wasn't a very good mechanic....if you read the 'workshop mistakes you have made' thread you will see I'm better off behind a computer.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 01:03 PM   #40
haycait

I can echo some of the comments above.... I was a mechanic for 10 yrs and got out when my second kid was coming along and went to Uni. On Austudy (In those days) I was earning above $50/week less than what I was slaving my gut out for someone else. What pizzed my off worse was that no matter how good you were and how professional you worked, to the general public you were always just a rip off grease monkey.

I used to mainly fit LPG to brand new cars and prided myself on people not being able to see what was my work under their bonnet and what was factory.

Anyway now I am A Property Valuer so I spend about half of my week on a computer doing reports and the other half in my BA XR8 driving around looking at houses. I find this to be the perfect fit for me @ present and am earning about triple what I did as a mechanic.

All I need now is those elusive 6 numbers for thursday or saturday night and I won't have to worry about working at all. :

Cheers
Haycait
haycait is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 01:03 PM   #41
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probably the main reason why I want to have nothing to do with cars other than enjoying them. $550 is a joke. I used to clear $600-700 at a drycleaning place.

I worked a lot of hours, but I doubt the work was anywhere near as hard as being a mechanic.

Learning IT now and have heard that $50k would be a walk in the park in this field. Not particularly hard either.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 01:41 PM   #42
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgo40rd
Well ive had enought ive only worked in the automotive trade as a mechanic for the past seven years but ive had enought.firstly the money is crap you do a trade work on crap apprentice wages and at the end you dont earn much better. the award is $15.65 a hour (what a joke) its a skilled job.thank god i earn slightly more than that.you work your guts out for a company making them around 5k-6k a week in services and you take home $550 and you work dam hard for it.why would you wont to do a trade as a mechanic i must say you do have a great skill at the end but nobody wants to pay good money.well thats my ***** i wonder if anybody else has the same feelings as me.
I know where your coming from mate. I'm in the same boat however different profession (Design draftsperson minimum wage sucks). A mate done his mechanic apprenticeship and was getting paid **** wages after being a trady for a few years and he was supposed to be at the best paying mechanic in town. He got a job at Hastings working on mine trucks. Great working environment, all the overtime he wants at $50+ an hour with standard rate at something like $28 an hour. He plans to stay a few years then go out to the mines. I think i would just stay. I would be stoked with that kinda money. If your in an industry thats got anything to do with mining the money seems to be good, and there is heaps of it going on up here in central queensland. Thats why homes are getting so expensive up here. I can only get a loan for like $150,000 and shitty houses in flood zones start at $250,000. Most of my mates are brining home like a minimum of $1000 in the hand a week. Wonder why i wanna get a different job.
Old 31-01-2007, 02:05 PM   #43
MON10A

one thing to keep in mind with mining jobs if your close to town rents or unreal prices,try renting in mackay or emerald,cobar nsw is impossable to get anything unless some one leaves ,then everprice food, crap fruit &veg,how much you put up the wall at the pub.
MON10A is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 02:09 PM   #44
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hear ya.

If mechanic paid better, I'd jump in.

Instead, I'm stuck in education wishing teacher were replaced by super-intelligent cyborgs making myself redundant.

Then I'd have no idea what to do with myself.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 02:24 PM   #45
XR-ENVI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jamie worked as a Mechanic and now does maintainence in a factory for alot better pay, proper overtime conditions etc,
I "only" look after peoples children all day so they can go off and earn money and get less than $37k a year, and thats as a fully qualified Child care worker with 8 years up my sleeve, it shows how important children are when people who clean the workplace get paid more than some of the staff i work with!!!!
XR-ENVI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 02:24 PM   #46
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Whilst the wage for 2IC might not ignite fires of excitement (around $18/hr IIRC), with overtime and store performance bonuses... he frequently takes home $700 a week. Now, i know there's a few people bragging about their tax bill being higer than this... but down here in the real world, $700 clear is a decent living.
Food, entertainment, going to the cricket all cheaper in SA (I have found), would it be fair to say the cost of living is cheaper there?
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 02:32 PM   #47
coupdy do

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
Food, entertainment, going to the cricket all cheaper in SA (I have found), would it be fair to say th ecost of living is cheaper there?
$700 clear is over $52k per year before tax he is saying he gets $550 after tax (38k+) thats a big difference
coupdy do is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 02:45 PM   #48
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupdy do
$700 clear is over $52k per year before tax he is saying he gets $550 after tax (38k+) thats a big difference
Which is propably the equivalent of $70K in Sydney as money doesn't go as far as in SA.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 02:46 PM   #49
DODDO
Can man

You could try working for a local council or government run utility, like Energy Australia or even State Transit Authority. Most of those places have their own award scheme which is usually updated every 2 years; which means better pay, better conditions, some even have RDO's and some provide you with your own tools and uniforms. There isn't the pressure of near impossible deadlines to have the job finished by, and theres no threat of the boss not paying all of what your owed. You are guarenteed to get paid every weeks The work always varies, from working on chainsaws to semi trailers.
You should think about it.
Cheers
Old 31-01-2007, 03:12 PM   #50
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Work for the council, some are getting $22/hour and its not like you see them working hard.

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 05:40 PM   #51
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
Food, entertainment, going to the cricket all cheaper in SA (I have found), would it be fair to say the cost of living is cheaper there?
In terms of housing, well... everyone in Australia is in the same boat for similar reasons. House prices prob not quite as bad here as they are in Perth/Darwin and not as bad as Sydney has been.

I rent a 3 bedroom house in a suburb called Burnside... considered to be a fairly "flash" area... plenty of mansions around (lol, my place aint one of them!!). Crime rate almost non existant. 15 mninute drive to the middle of the city on a good day, 30 minute drive on a bad day. This costs $265/week. Not sure how that compares???

From what ive experienced in melbourne and sydney, there's not much difference between pricing for groceries, cigarettes, beer etc.

Cricket... last time i went was about $35 for a one dayer....

Bus/train/tram... about $25 for 10 trips (i.e. a weeks worth)

Parking in the CBD... about $10/day at most places for earlybirds like me.

Petrol... bout 1 or 2c dearer than Sydney/Melbourne usually.

Rego... $700 a year for a V8. $550 for a 4 cyl. Our rego fees include compulsory third party...

So, that's the general jist of cost of living in Adelaide....
Old 31-01-2007, 05:54 PM   #52
XR6TickfordBoy
Now XR8TickfordBoy

Considering that a plumber/carpenter/sparky can easily become a sub contractor when fully qualified that earn min. $800 per week its pretty disgraceful that a mechanic must suffer the fate of a retail hours/operation business! If the government wants to attract trades especially mechanics something will be done about the diplorable wages! There's nothing I would like more than to be a mechanic but knowing the pay earlier on I realise it pays better as a hobby!
EF XR8- Respray in Monza Red with Clear Coat, Custom Rear Bar, AU V8, EL GT MAF, Rebuilt and Strengthened Auto with Stage 2 Shift Kit, 2,500RPM Stallie and tranny cooler, Rebuilt Diff with 4.11 Gears, Custom Radiator, King Ultra Lows, Pedders Shocks, NL Concorde Rims.
XR6TickfordBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 05:59 PM   #53
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
I know what your on about mate....
I cant believe how bad the money is in the industry. You guys that are qualified have put in 4 or so years of learning, practical experience etc should be getting more than the kid flipping burgers at mcdonalds does.
There is simply no incentive for anyone to jump into the trade or to work at full steam when you are getting paid peanuts.

One word of advice, dont look into the Transport Industry, I am looking at getting out of it soon, It WAS good about 2 years ago, but too many new law's are being passed and making it harder and harder to do your job.
I'm 19, and i get ALMOST $14ph flipping burgers :P

if i stay on a couple more years ill be earning like $20ph LOL
Old 31-01-2007, 09:38 PM   #54
redranga

Im a diesel mechanic. I earn reasonable money here in SA but I consider the award wages for my trade to be a joke.

Consider what a sparky or a plumber earns. How hard are their trades? They are a piece of **** compared to mine.

A sparky plays with 3 wires - active earth and neutral and there colour coded. Electrics on what I work on is all black or all white wiring which the numbers wear off. Theres hundreds of wires in a vehicle.

A plumber unblock drains, fixes taps are plumbs up thing in copper pipe and brazes it together. Seems easy to me.

Both of these tradies are earning more than a mechanic.

A mechanic has to know how to fault find repair rebuild engs, trans, gearboxes, pumps, hydraulics, generators, starters, alternators etc etc which is all computer controlled these days.

A mechanic also plays with tyres, brakes, steering and suspension components of a vehicle which all effect safety.

Surely with all of this diversified and varying workload and responsibility for peoples safety we deserve a decent award wage?
redranga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 09:51 PM   #55
Ford_V8

I agree with you police, mechanics are like doctors for cars. Diagnose and repair. And when you think about it they take on the equivalent of many specialist roles as well, not only is it diagnose and repair, but also maintain, uprgade and customise. I think diesel is the way to go nowadays, I remember last year the first thing my engineering teacher did when he walked into the room was wave, and said "That's me saying goodbye to V8s and hello to diesel "
Ford_V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 08:23 AM   #56
boss-290

****, what am I supposed to do?

I'm about to do my second year of Cert 2 at TAFE in Automotive, and I want to get into an a apprenticeship once I finish VCE.

Of course Apprentice wages are going to be crap. But maybe in this blokes case its sour grapes, perhaps somebody is more liked than another. Jelousy of another, getting promotions and such.

I'm still going to fllow my Auto path. Theres nothing stopping you from getting back on the learning curve.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:04 AM   #57
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

I'm a Fitter/Machinist by trade which I pulled the pin on in 2002. I was on just under $19 an hour with no smoko and a 20 minute lunch. The conditions were poo too but the straw that broke the camels back was when the boss saw me go to the boghouse and was watching me wipe me bum. He thought I was bludging, I thought he was a poof. I made my mind up right there that I was going to look for a public service job.

I enjoyed the trade and it payed good. I was living in the Hunter Valley NSW and at that time it was not impossible to own a house or live a good life on $40k. Today with the cost of purchasing a home and the uneasiness of these new IR laws does make it a unfriendly place. One thing I learnt was that good money doesn't = good work. Find a job that you like doing and doesn't pay too bad and in the end you're a happier person.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:15 AM   #58
auvct

Here we go : --when i was an apprentice(1990) it was about 10 bucks an hour
you gotta start somewhere.
I'm a mech fitter where i used to work on the mines.
money is good but its either live there or ur on a roster of 2 and 1, 4 and 1 or some even offer 9 days on 6 days off!
There are plenty of oportunities around but its up to you what you want to do.
Now i'm in gas compression and have travelled to places like pakistan syria PNG indo and UAE.
If you like travelling, its great and the dough is good.
We have had mechanics join up to .
Our boss did his time at city holden.
A friend of mine actually got out of fitting and made more money landscaping fountains etc.
If ur not happy look around.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:58 PM   #59
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

[QUOTE=mowog]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura

It wasn't intended as a bragg in my case... It was just my way of dealing with Mr wont get out of bed for less than $250...

You are pathetic mate!
Maybe you need to re evaluate life, and stop being such a stick in the mud!
Oh, by the way... It's more like $300 these days now we are busy............. :ymca: :jab:
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 04:15 PM   #60
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by police
Im a diesel mechanic. I earn reasonable money here in SA but I consider the award wages for my trade to be a joke.

Consider what a sparky or a plumber earns. How hard are their trades? They are a piece of **** compared to mine.

A sparky plays with 3 wires - active earth and neutral and there colour coded. Electrics on what I work on is all black or all white wiring which the numbers wear off. Theres hundreds of wires in a vehicle.

A plumber unblock drains, fixes taps are plumbs up thing in copper pipe and brazes it together. Seems easy to me.

Both of these tradies are earning more than a mechanic.

A mechanic has to know how to fault find repair rebuild engs, trans, gearboxes, pumps, hydraulics, generators, starters, alternators etc etc which is all computer controlled these days.

A mechanic also plays with tyres, brakes, steering and suspension components of a vehicle which all effect safety.

Surely with all of this diversified and varying workload and responsibility for peoples safety we deserve a decent award wage?
Here's the thing tho. Plumbers and sparkys demand such high pay because of the current labour market for their skills.

The complexity of the job is irrelevant. The important role a mechanic plays in safety is not the force that drives the remuneration.

It's about how many people need their skills and how many people are available to provide that skill. It's a market, the remuneration is the price.