Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-05-2010, 02:02 PM   #31
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
I don't know but the 'no one has the right to judge anyone' idea doesn't work. If everyone ignored this type of thing (again i'm talking generally, i don't care about the snake) then the government would decide what is acceptable and people would be jumping up and down about that too.
You're taking my words to literally.
The implied statement was "dont be so quick to judge", or "people in glass houses shouldnt throw stones", etc

Quote:
We should, and do for the most part, judge each other. If we don't, someone else will and we won't be happy about that no matter how fair or unfair the result is.
I disagree, if you start judging based on your own opinions then you are trying to push your opinions on to someone else... that will not work.
Old 31-05-2010, 02:08 PM   #32
LTDHO
The one and only

It's a case of "Cute Pic, nothing wrong with it"
Until the snake decides to crush it's food.
Then it's "Bad parenting, How can people do that?"
Same senario, different outcomes, different posts!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2010, 02:17 PM   #33
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm sure to those who were present when the photo was taken, they knew all precautions would of been done, yada yada.

To the untrained third party it looks a bit obscene, and to someone who knows nothing about snakes it looks down right stupid
Old 31-05-2010, 02:18 PM   #34
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Nation full of pussies.

It was obviously a controlled situation and as others have already stated, the handlers wouldn't have done it unless it was safe.

Risk is something that is in most situations, it doesn't make people 'good' or 'bad'...there is just greater or less exposure to the risk, but obviously in todays society people are quick to blame.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2010, 02:25 PM   #35
Mz Revvv Head

It's a real shame, these lovely Reptiles have such NEGATIVE options in society ... very sad indeed :(

These are also the newest pets - Reptiles to own ... people are no longer going out to buy the " normal " cats & dogs ...
Mz Revvv Head is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2010, 02:56 PM   #36
zdcol71
zdcol71

Not too much discourse in this thread regarding the babies point of view.Lot of discussion about the handlers capabilities, and the parents rights or wrongs and people passing judgement on all, as well as the snake.
Ultimately it was the baby at risk and ultimately the baby has no say in this incident.I am guessing she may very well have turned down the cute photo opportunity given half a chance.
I have seen, first hand, snakes lashing out for any number of reasons, and I am pretty sure that the youngster in the photo doesn't look too able to get out of the way of a pair of snapping jaws even if she were awake.
I take risks every day, but I do so bearing in mind the consequences.
To be honest, I think the photo is probably taken from the 'Things bogans like" forum
Old 31-05-2010, 03:06 PM   #37
BOSHOG
avenge me

i would never put my son at risk for a photo op. im sorry its just not worth it. risk v reward etc etc
Old 31-05-2010, 03:27 PM   #38
Mz Revvv Head

We have Reptiles & I have been bitten by 1 of our baby lizards,
he thought my finger was food ... lol

If you KNOW any thing about snakes at all, this pic is very clear this baby is at NO RISK what so ever !!! If you don't then your comment will most likely be NEGATIVE !!!
If the baby was put into the snakes enclosure, then this story would be horrific to say the least !!! This pic isn't feed time, that's for sure ...
The RULE with snakes is to ALWAYS have 2 people around !!!
NEVER get a snake out on your own, just in case something does go wrong !!!

Most kids are the 1st to get in a pic with snakes - reptiles etc, it's the parents who know nothing about them, who say NO ! And due to all the negative they hear & read in society that make them so feared !!! A WILD snake, now that's really another story IMO ...

The guy from Snake Busters was at Parkmore Shopping Centre last year ( may have been year before ) on the school holidays, it was packed ! Many kids have NO FEAR which is good to a point, where you can learn & be opened minded instead of ****** scared ! He had many many different breeds of snakes, they were just LOVELY !!!
The guy tho was the idiot !!! He has alot of bad & negative feedback, omg ...
We go to Reptile shows every year & luv it ...

I would trust a snake before some breeds of dogs, that's for sure !!!
Mz Revvv Head is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2010, 03:32 PM   #39
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats awesome. Those pythons are fairly docile, especially when well fed, it could easily swallow the baby whole but it would have no need to. They aren't venemous either.. Give you a nasty bite though
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2010, 03:34 PM   #40
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
I disagree, if you start judging based on your own opinions then you are trying to push your opinions on to someone else... that will not work.
That does work, its how society functions.

I don't walk past my local school naked at 9am because most people would find that offensive. Over years and years peoples opinions on certain things have been transcribed into laws that govern what is acceptable and what isn't. Peoples opinions if shared by enough other people, eventually find their way into the law and then the minority whinges because the police stop them walking past schools with their sausages flapping in the breeze.

If you don't agree with something then you should speak up. I'm not talking about breaking into the zoo and killing all the snakes but if you feel strongly one way or the other then you should share your opinion with others, what good is it kept to yourself?

If this were another subject that you disagreed with, would you not say anything about it?
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #41
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
That does work, its how society functions.

I don't walk past my local school naked at 9am because most people would find that offensive. Over years and years peoples opinions on certain things have been transcribed into laws that govern what is acceptable and what isn't. Peoples opinions if shared by enough other people, eventually find their way into the law and then the minority whinges because the police stop them walking past schools with their sausages flapping in the breeze.

If you don't agree with something then you should speak up. I'm not talking about breaking into the zoo and killing all the snakes but if you feel strongly one way or the other then you should share your opinion with others, what good is it kept to yourself?

If this were another subject that you disagreed with, would you not say anything about it?
That's a problem with opinions and laws, they are different.

Using your example of walking in public naked.
It's illegal because it's offensive, but the opinion of what is offensive may be different depending on where you were raised.
So while it is a persons right to not be offended, things that cause offence are an opinion that is formed during upbringing.

I get what you're saying and I somewhat agree. The problem is finding the right balance. There's sharing an opinion, then there's forcing one.

You said earlier that we should judge "each other" or "someone else" will.
You're saying I can pass judgement on that same sex couple that I just walked passed, because I dont think its right and I think they are hurting their child by not raising it in a 'standard' family situation? (just an example, not my views) and If I can get enough people together with the same opinion as me, we can pass a law that says no same sex couples.

All of this is too complicated and is why I said earlier, common sense is the only thing that will work. You cant legislate against everything.
I see common sense as above opinions, it is accepting of other opinions, doesnt jump to conclusions without all the proper information and can use discretion based on others' situations.
Old 31-05-2010, 07:41 PM   #42
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't have children but, how many of you stop your children doing things we did as kids? Riding bikes without helmets, climbing fences, climbing trees, riding a skateboard without safety gear, jumping on a peewee 50, driking from a garden hose...Society makes me sick.
Just like the family groups representing families...I don't know of one family that they have approached to ask their opinions, so how can they represent what the majority of families wants
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2010, 10:57 PM   #43
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
That's a problem with opinions and laws, they are different.

Using your example of walking in public naked.
It's illegal because it's offensive, but the opinion of what is offensive may be different depending on where you were raised.
So while it is a persons right to not be offended, things that cause offence are an opinion that is formed during upbringing.

I get what you're saying and I somewhat agree. The problem is finding the right balance. There's sharing an opinion, then there's forcing one.
I think you'll find that most of the time laws line up pretty well with the majority opinion of those governed. It doesn't seem like it sometimes e.g. speed cameras, but then the people complaining about it might be the majority on here and other car forums but don't make up anywhere close to the majority in the 'real' world. Of course there are laws that everyone would suggest are just stupid, things that have been left in place for hundreds of years from ye'olde England that are outdated and out of place. I'd never suggest our laws are 100% perfect.

I think you've hit the nail right in its brainal area, its about balance. No one likes being told what to do, and often its unnecessary anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
You said earlier that we should judge "each other" or "someone else" will.
You're saying I can pass judgement on that same sex couple that I just walked passed, because I dont think its right and I think they are hurting their child by not raising it in a 'standard' family situation? (just an example, not my views) and If I can get enough people together with the same opinion as me, we can pass a law that says no same sex couples.
Isn't that exactly what happened in the US recently? A group of churches made their opinions known, laws were drawn up banning same sex marriages, other groups made their opinions known and the laws were overturned. I could have that wrong though, i wasn't following it closely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
All of this is too complicated and is why I said earlier, common sense is the only thing that will work. You cant legislate against everything.
I see common sense as above opinions, it is accepting of other opinions, doesnt jump to conclusions without all the proper information and can use discretion based on others' situations.
I'd agree with that, though i see opinions as being the foundations of common sense. No matter what someones opinion is, jumping to conclusions without all the information is never the smart option. I just wish common sense was a bit more common if you know what i mean
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2010, 11:10 PM   #44
Steve11

I must admit I was stunned when I saw the photo but after a had a think about it I relaxed a bit.
A well fed snake does NOT look for food (unlike a cat that kills for fun), once they are full they just chill.
I think Steve Irwin's baby over the croc was far more stupid.

I would not do it with my children but I do not think the parents are totally stupid.

No reptile can be considered trained or docile so there will always be a risk that you must consider.
Steve11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2010, 11:53 PM   #45
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve11
I think Steve Irwin's baby over the croc was far more stupid.
you mean holding a baby 3m away from a crocodile whilst on land (crocs dont move so fast on land) is more stupid then this, when in the hands of a professional?

get your facts straight mate
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2010, 12:00 AM   #46
BOSHOG
avenge me

lets keep things in perspective, these parents are rocket scientists compared to the morons who let their kids sleep over at Michael Jacksons place
Old 01-06-2010, 10:16 AM   #47
nang3

i think its none of my business if this is good or bad parenting - its their baby not mine.

that being said i would probably take a pic of any future babies i had with said snake assuming it was as calm and tame etc as they say etc..
im sure the PC wowsers out there will be furiously ringing ACA/TT and other fictional newsitem reporting tv shows
nang3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2010, 02:08 PM   #48
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG
lets keep things in perspective, these parents are rocket scientists compared to the morons who let their kids sleep over at Michael Jacksons place
Not as rich tho :P