Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #31
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2006 - 2009 VE Commodore used car review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeldust
wow they made the ls1 out be something its not. Lots and lots of ls1 that run sweet as pie out there, yet they mention they are oil burning rattlers.
BS article.
Holden claimed it was 2% of LS1 affected, which is a bit off the mark. In my final year of high school 2005 I was a part time groomer at the local Holden dealer, and pretty much every LS1 VT and VX I drove had piston slap on start up.
They also forgot to mention the VEs like to flood the cabins after a decent downpour. People go on about AU and B series rust... Well see how these go in the next few years.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #32
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

its funny, my mechanic is pure holden through & through, he currently has 4 at home & sold his ve & went back to a vy.
one of my other mates is looking at a a new sv6 or xr6 & happened to be all together so i asked the mechanic his thoughts.. he said the fg xr6 anyday, the ve is crap & will give u heaps of mechanical problems
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #33
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Tone
I've got a 2007 VE GTS, haven't had any problems such as those described......and thats with 50,000km with a turbocharged engine.

BS article I reckon, based on maybe a handful of ****ed off owners.
I'm sure you wouldn't be using oils like Magnatec at 15,000km intervals on your baby, Uncle Tone, which is probably the reason for a lot of the problems mentioned.

My thoughts is that the sludge problem could be more prevalent in the V engine configuration due to the more indirect ventilation compared to the inline engines, when using mineral oils like magnatec at extended intervals. Perhaps the more knowledgeable like Windsor220 or 4.0i_Six can comment on this?

But then I must keep in mind that Carsguide articles especially written by this guy have in the past been quite inaccurate and illogical, so posts from Windsor220 and 4.0i_Six throw a bit more light on the issues raised. However I'm still a bit uncertain of the actual extent of the problems that Mr Smith indicates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000
its funny, my mechanic is pure holden through & through, he currently has 4 at home & sold his ve & went back to a vy.
one of my other mates is looking at a a new sv6 or xr6 & happened to be all together so i asked the mechanic his thoughts.. he said the fg xr6 anyday, the ve is crap & will give u heaps of mechanical problems
A friend of mine has had several Holden SS's etc. over the years some time ago told me of his disappointment with his VE SSV, "its just a car" he said.

Last edited by Silver Ghia; 20-10-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #34
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6T0Y
Even I need to step in on this one
Please tell me you're not serious? I still remember reading something from years ago, stating the massive improvements from AU/BA and how they finally brought it into the 21st century. The only thing similar to BF/FG is the headlights. They are all worlds apart

I have never said the panels are interchangeable...I have said the shape hasn't changed since 1998.....(comes from dealing with people that don't have a lot of eye for detail).

As for improvements.....Have I ever said things haven't improved? Like every update of a model, they improve something....Doesn't matter what badge is on it.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #35
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
Holden claimed it was 2% of LS1 affected, which is a bit off the mark. In my final year of high school 2005 I was a part time groomer at the local Holden dealer, and pretty much every LS1 VT and VX I drove had piston slap on start up.
My VZ with an LS1 is fine. I think you'll find it only affects the early model LS1s. They got it together towards the end of their run.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #36
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

Can someone post a pic of an AU & a FG so we can see the differances please! I had an AU BA & now FG & I can tell the difference??

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #37
Falcman0o7
Banned

Last edited by Falcman0o7; 20-10-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #38
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good! that just means they will be that little bit cheaper to buy on the second hand market. Anyone that wants a cheap performance car would buy the crap out of a VE 6 litre. imho they wont rust, apart from around the windows you can't make even a VN rust if you leave it parked in a river and VE's get the same metal treatment
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2012, 01:08 AM   #39
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
My VZ with an LS1 is fine. I think you'll find it only affects the early model LS1s. They got it together towards the end of their run.

Exactly....They had problems with the VT ones.....Fixed after that.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 21-10-2012, 01:13 AM   #40
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
Good! that just means they will be that little bit cheaper to buy on the second hand market. Anyone that wants a cheap performance car would buy the crap out of a VE 6 litre. imho they wont rust, apart from around the windows you can't make even a VN rust if you leave it parked in a river and VE's get the same metal treatment

Where did Ford stuff up then?????Territories and Falcons rust from new....look round this forum for examples of people complaining their new Falcons and Territories are rusting...

Goes to show how good Ford was with their rust prevention measures.

There is also a thread done about 2 weeks ago, how the resale value of territories is up the creek....

So before downgrading the opposition, look in your own backyard....

Old 21-10-2012, 01:19 AM   #41
1TUFFUTE
Banned

anyone who thinks that the falcon either looks the same or whatever crap about panels between AU-BA or FG...is a blind dumba%$%#$.

And without direct stats to back me up...i can off the top of my head remember many many occasions where a commadore has had a failure orbroken down during a mag or comparo test. espescially from memory the performance tests where youd assume they get pushed pretty hard. Falcon i can remember once or twice.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #42
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Where did Ford stuff up then?????Territories and Falcons rust from new....look round this forum for examples of people complaining their new Falcons and Territories are rusting...

Goes to show how good Ford was with their rust prevention measures.

There is also a thread done about 2 weeks ago, how the resale value of territories is up the creek....

So before downgrading the opposition, look in your own backyard....
Yeh we have a AU and it's rusted out.
We are scared to go over speed bumps in it.
My ED is the same.
Old 21-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #43
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7
Yeh we have a AU and it's rusted out.
We are scared to go over speed bumps in it.
My ED is the same.

That's a BJ issue, more than a rust issue

Old 21-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #44
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
That's a BJ issue, more than a rust issue
What ??????? Ohhh - you mean ball joint
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #45
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8
What ??????? Ohhh - you mean ball joint
Ball joints are shot to. Horrible cars.
Old 21-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #46
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Typical, an artical about a used VE commodore, turns into a thread trash talking Fords...so, so much dribbling crap, from the same few.

This isn't about Territory ball joints, XF hoodlining glue, or some misguided tribe that the falcon hasn't changed its shape since the Au. This was about the artical in which a review of used VE's a few years down the track fare, and the artical truthly (and fairly states) the major issues of the VE.

As a reveiw should.

I think some should move over to LS1 forums, they need a member boost, but then again, they probally have a good quality control...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #47
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
so you base your comments on smithy's comments, who based his comments on the experience of one!!! yep, one person.

my bf2 had the 15k servicing and was still going strong at 100k when i sold it. my fg has 90k on it and still going strong.

i don't think extended servicing is an issue at all.
+1 to the above.

The old mans AUIII ute has been serviced every 15000km using Penrite HPR Gas 10 oil, and either Ryco/Purlator/AC Delco oil filters. The car is coming up to 350000km...the engine still runs fine, consumes under 1L per 15000km and leaks the tinniest bit of oil around the timing cover.

For A-B driving, in my opinion there is no issues servicing the Falcon 4L I6 engine every 15000km. YMMV though...
saber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #48
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Typical, an artical about a used VE commodore, turns into a thread trash talking Fords...so, so much dribbling crap, from the same few.

This isn't about Territory ball joints, XF hoodlining glue, or some misguided tribe that the falcon hasn't changed its shape since the Au. This was about the artical in which a review of used VE's a few years down the track fare, and the artical truthly (and fairly states) the major issues of the VE.

As a reveiw should.

I think some should move over to LS1 forums, they need a member boost, but then again, they probally have a good quality control...
Agree!
Old 21-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #49
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saber
+1 to the above.

The old mans AUIII ute has been serviced every 15000km using Penrite HPR Gas 10 oil, and either Ryco/Purlator/AC Delco oil filters. The car is coming up to 350000km...the engine still runs fine, consumes under 1L per 15000km and leaks the tinniest bit of oil around the timing cover.

For A-B driving, in my opinion there is no issues servicing the Falcon 4L I6 engine every 15000km. YMMV though...
Your experience is not relevant to the VE Commodore which the comment was aimed at. The VE Commodore has a different engine, different engine configuration to the AU. Also using dealer oils as serviced by the dealer, not Penrite which I've found performs for a longer distance than magnatec.

I know myself with my BA, I used Penrite HPR5 at 15,000km intervals and no problem. The subject is VE Commodore.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 12:40 AM   #50
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

reliability between the henry straight 6 potter and the sidi ahahahah, joking right? henry all the way.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 12:54 AM   #51
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7
Ball joints are shot to. Horrible cars.
I'm sure most 10-15 year old under-maintained cars are horrible.

To those whining about the Commodore's body shape being 6 years old - it's one of the best proportioned sedans in the world on sale today, it doesn't need a refresh. Also check out how long most BMW and Merc body shapes run for.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 01:09 AM   #52
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline

To those whining about the Commodore's body shape being 6 years old - it's one of the best proportioned sedans in the world on sale today, it doesn't need a refresh. Also check out how long most BMW and Merc body shapes run for.
It may have a good shape but it does look old now. It did a year or 2 ago. That's the problem when there are so many around they age quicker.

The BA/BF was a good looking car but looked very stale towards the end.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 08:16 AM   #53
pursuit2359

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbutler
Can someone post a pic of an AU & a FG so we can see the differances please! I had an AU BA & now FG & I can tell the difference??
Here's a good source for AU and FG images...

As I understand it, AU and BA had the same bodyshell - but the BA structure was significantly stiffer and the wheelbase was 36 mm longer. For the FG, the wheelbase was extended another 9 mm and the structure was stiffer again. Progress has been made.
pursuit2359 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #54
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

That's the thing he fails to mention. Commodore bits are dirt cheap, you could replace half the car for what it would cost to replace a couple of minor things in eurotrash. Mate of mine had a VN in his workshop the other week for a new radiator, $180 for a new radiator!
Old 22-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #55
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:

Both cars are fine.
I was being sarcastic
Old 22-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #56
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

mmm fashion/beauty is a very subjective thing, personally i have never liked the cut off look of the boot, excessively high boot, chunky protruding wheel flares, but hey it`s big it can`t be all bad!
if you call the ve good , the b series /fg is better.

Pursuit2359 i know the ba has a different roof/smaller windscreen area, not sure about the rear one,
the roof is different again in the FG, it`s slightly more straightened/squared off around the top of the front door frames, i believe this was to make entry/exit a little easier, as this was a complaint by some people with previous models.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #57
pursuit2359

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
That's the thing he fails to mention. Commodore bits are dirt cheap, you could replace half the car for what it would cost to replace a couple of minor things in eurotrash. Mate of mine had a VN in his workshop the other week for a new radiator, $180 for a new radiator!
This is where Falcons (and Commodores) have it all over imported cars: replacement parts. Quality and reliability may not be world's best, but there's peace of mind in knowing that even if something does go wrong, it won't cost a small fortune.

P.S. I've long thought Smithy was a bit of a hack and that these articles are really simplistic.
pursuit2359 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #58
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
mmm fashion/beauty is a very subjective thing, personally i have never liked the cut off look of the boot, excessively high boot, chunky protruding wheel flares, but hey it`s big it can`t be all bad!
if you call the ve good , the b series /fg is better.
I personally think the Commodore's body is beautiful. I've had 3 FGs because they are simply a better car than the VE is, but there is no doubt in my mind that the Commodore has better proportions. Subjective I know, but the smoother glasshouse, shorter overhangs, C pillar sculpting etc is very attractive. The flared wheel arches look silly on everything except the SS - which is the only variant I'd buy so it doesn't bother me.

Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #59
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
so you base your comments on smithy's comments, who based his comments on the experience of one!!! yep, one person.

my bf2 had the 15k servicing and was still going strong at 100k when i sold it. my fg has 90k on it and still going strong.

i don't think extended servicing is an issue at all.

perhaps this person hardly drove their car and 15000km was 18months worth of driving. too many variables that could contribute to sludge build up.
15,000 is fine...

The sludge issues start when you don't service them for 40,000 kms.. I know of a car ex lease plan with the Alloytec motor and it started sludging up at 170,000 kms.... The car had no service history prior to 100,000 kays so its hard to say the cause but at 170,000 kms I dont know what people expect. I always stick to the saying, the first 100,000 is always your best, and 150 kay is a bonus... 150k is time to ditch on Fords and Holdens, typcially due to transmission related issues.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #60
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont
deleted
I do like the VE also but only the SS and HSVs. Black with good sized rims and you cannot deny the fact that they look the goods.

Then theres the FG black edition and thats when you don't care how good the VE looks!

Last edited by Professor Farnsworth; 22-10-2012 at 08:18 PM.