Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-12-2011, 08:03 AM   #31
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Queensland police trial new hand-held speed cameras that automatically issue tickets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd_on20s
which proves my point they (government) don't care whether you, or anyone in your family live or die.

to them, you are a dollar sign. nothing more.

funny thing is, we won't do anything to stop them from trotting out this garbage.

In Vic, they also stated that since they started publishing the camera locations there has been NO DIFFERENCE in crash stats at these sites!, however less revenue....
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 08:06 AM   #32
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

Default Re: Queensland police trial new hand-held speed cameras that automatically issue tickets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgette01
Interesting...none of this bothers me. I haven't had a speeding ticket in over 12 years. I always watch my speed. However, I am in Melbourne, not Queensland, but if one sticks to the limit, what does it matter.
Just because you're sticking to the limits or not breaking the law, doesn't mean you won't get caught, & the police & their equipment is right.
My boss got fined for talking on the mobile phone last week, when a police car was stopped next to us at the lights, unfortunately, he wasn't on the phone, he was resting his head in his hand, leaning on the steering wheel whilst stopped. The cop wouldn't believe him, & he now has to go to court & prove his innocence, the cops took all my details too (I'm assuming as a witness). The court will summons his phone records from the phone company & find him innocent, the state tax payers will then pay all court costs, but he loses a days work & pay.
Plenty of innocent non speeding people have been fined incorrectly, by incorrect operation of speed measuring devices. If you've got time & money to waste proving you're innocent, because you don't speed (as you say), don't worry about it, otherwise it should bother you.
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 08:08 AM   #33
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IMPORTANT!!!

Do you people realise that speeding causes less than 2% of crashes! IT IS NOT THE 25% they say. That is such an important statistic and so shows the greed of the GOVTs to trick us into believing speeding is the worst thing out there. The other 23%, maybe more, of the 25% is from inappropriate speed for the conditions, and then its only a contributing factor, not the only factor, but UNDER the speed limit.

Then there is the other 75% which is other issues entirely, like fatigue, and general not concentrating.
Old 17-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #34
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Interesting...none of this bothers me. I haven't had a speeding ticket in over 12 years. I always watch my speed. However, I am in Melbourne, not Queensland, but if one sticks to the limit, what does it matter.
Remember 1km/h over EVERYONE DIES.
Old 17-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #35
z80
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Remember 1km/h over EVERYONE DIES.

Post of the year....
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 11:10 AM   #36
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just went 65km/hr in a 60km/hr zone..no one died? but every k over is a killer??
Typical Government PR BS!!! They must think motorists are stupid??
Old 17-12-2011, 11:13 AM   #37
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
I just went 65km/hr in a 60km/hr zone..no one died? but every k over is a killer??
Well we did vote them into power so they may have a point.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 11:17 AM   #38
Bridgette01
Happy Wife = Happy Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
And in those 12 years how many kilometres have you driven?

You are in Victoria, a state that is nearly as big a some of the cattle stations up in the north.

Doing 120 in a 100 zone between Melbourne and Albury will save you a few minutes.
Doing 120 in a 100 zone up here can mean the difference between driving in daylight or fighting off all the night nasties (which WILL kill you if you are not careful).

How many wild animals have you had to take evasive action to avoid recently?
When was the last time you drove for 500km and met maybe 10 vehicles coming the other way while overtaking none?

The problem is perception. A high percentage of city dwellers have very little concept of distance or open roads while many country dwellers do not really understand high density traffic, city parking or road rage.

Trying to use city methodology such as speed cameras on country roads is as silly as using country methodology such as single lane bridges and 80km/h school zones in the inner suburbs.
Please correct me if I am wrong...are you saying that in certain conditions it's ok to do 120 in a 100 zone (I am not saying its right or wrong) However, I see your point from a country dwellers point of view. My point of view IS from a city dwellers perception and its worked for me for over a decade. In saying this, I guess I am lucky not to have come across a camera which was giving the operator incorrect speed data. If this were the case with me, my attitude may be different. So to those out there who challenge the accuracy of these cameras, I see your point and agree, it's a valid one.

I guess I am part of a minority of drivers who dont have a problem with speed cameras, regardless where they are situated, country or city as my driving style does not bring them into play. However, when I was very much younger, I ended up on the wrong side of these cameras more then once. Loss of licence and several fines. Then one day I realised that I cant keep living like this, my attitude changed.

G6ET 2010 Seduce. Tax return = GTX upgrade DONE
Bridgette01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 11:48 AM   #39
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One of those misleading things. The reality is if a vehicle is moving before it collides with something, the collision is "speed related." Better leave your cars in park and avoid any speed related collisions.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 12:27 PM   #40
FLUTTA

This is all just pathetic revenue raising by the government. They see speeding as an easy excuse when it comes to car accidents, therefore they use it to their advantage and try to book every person doing 1km/h over the speed limit.

In the Northern Territory, all the outback roads used to be speed limit free, meaning you could do any speed you want. My family used to travel these roads quite a bit back when we used to live in Darwin, and my dad owning a modded VX SS at the time didn't just cruise at 100km/h, we used to casually sit on speeds of around 160-180km/h, and he even pushed it to 270km/h once upon a time. According to the way the government acts in regards to 'speeding', wouldn't we be considered deceased by now? Hardly any accidents would ever happen on the Stuart Highway, even though it is considered one of the main highways of Australia, and hardly anyone just sat on 100km/h on those roads.

The government should really wake up to themselves and actually focus more on saving lives rather than this revenue raising speeding crap. There are plenty of things that cause these crashes that they don't tell you about; unroadworthy vehicles, inexperienced drivers, fatigue, bad condition roads.. just to name a few, most of which they don't campaign about anywhere near as much as speeding, if at all..
FLUTTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 12:30 PM   #41
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
One of those misleading things. The reality is if a vehicle is moving before it collides with something, the collision is "speed related." Better leave your cars in park and avoid any speed related collisions.
No, its if speed was a contributing factor - ie: If they were doing 60 in a 60 zone when it was belting down with rain, it is a speed related crash because they are going too fast for the conditions...

A car towing a car trailer doing 110 in a 110 zone
A car doing 70 in a 70 zone during heavy fog
A car doing 80 in an 80 zone with pooled water over the road
Grandpa doing 60 in a 100 zone and getting rear ended

These are all examples of speed related incidents... Not actually speeding though, but the two statisitcs are thrown together and then displayed simply as "SPEEDING" - so therefore, to reduce the speeding statistics, speed deterent ideas are rolled out: Fixed speed cameras, auto-ticket cameras, speed bumps, chicanes, speed limit reduction, P plate speed limits, variable speed limits with speed cameras...

Do any of these reduce the statistics? Not really, because what prevents all of the speed related incidents? Simple education, or even police presence, or both - police giving warnings and educating people - ie: someone doing 71 in a 70 zone in a Datsun 200B isnt really speeding, but pull then over, give them a breatho, and tell them why its dangerous...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 12:58 PM   #42
Bridgette01
Happy Wife = Happy Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
And in those 12 years how many kilometres have you driven?

You are in Victoria, a state that is nearly as big a some of the cattle stations up in the north.

Doing 120 in a 100 zone between Melbourne and Albury will save you a few minutes.
Doing 120 in a 100 zone up here can mean the difference between driving in daylight or fighting off all the night nasties (which WILL kill you if you are not careful).

How many wild animals have you had to take evasive action to avoid recently?
When was the last time you drove for 500km and met maybe 10 vehicles coming the other way while overtaking none?

The problem is perception. A high percentage of city dwellers have very little concept of distance or open roads while many country dwellers do not really understand high density traffic, city parking or road rage.

Trying to use city methodology such as speed cameras on country roads is as silly as using country methodology such as single lane bridges and 80km/h school zones in the inner suburbs.
In regards to your wild animal comment....I did unexpectedly come across my Mrs in the hallway the other night, and yes, I took quick and decisive action to avoid a nasty collision

Old 17-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #43
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So as we know actual "speeding over the limit" causes at the most a generous 2% of deaths, why dont they say instead of "dont speed" which makes you think of being over the limit, but "drive to the conditions and to your skill"?

The latter is a contributor (to the cause of more than 90% of speed related crashes, but I have NEVER heard this said by the GOVT or Police!
They book people speeding over the limit which actually contains an almost insignificant percentage (and even that is only a contributing factor to a crash, they could well be drunk, on drugs, young racing their friends, stolen car in police chase, even committing suicide) of the crashe toll!

I will never believe their lies! :-)! And continue to drive as I do.

The normal driver who speeds in a normal kind of a way I believe are the best drivers on the road.
Old 17-12-2011, 04:31 PM   #44
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

If they weren't wasting money bringing these stupid revenue raising things out. How many actual extra police could they put onto the roads to curb all the real stupid stuff people do on roads ie tailgating, drink and drug driving, lane hopping, p platers & milo tin exhausts.

I think if roads were more individually and accurately rated I think things would improve. More consultation with community would be a good idea too. I think the locals (including the local bobby) would know where the real dangerous roads and safer ones are.
SirHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #45
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
But you do 'speed'

You are a very very very clever driver not to sway into the 63k's in a 60 zone ..... or do you check that you are doing 63 and then go back to 60? You know you are breaking the law EVERY time you do this? NO ONE .... and without an exaggeration ... 100% of people who drive drift a few K's over EVERY time they drive. It is impossible to stay under 100% of the time safely unless you are not paying attention to the road .... and ESPECIALLY in a G6ET. Difference being .... you haven't done it in front of a speed camera Sorry but with your attitude it is the very reason govco is laughing all the way to the bank.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 05:43 PM   #46
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Please correct me if I am wrong...are you saying that in certain conditions it's ok to do 120 in a 100 zone (
I was on a country road for 2 hours one night and saw 1 other car. As long as you drive to the conditions I don't think its that bad to give it a few extra km/h.

Only thing you have to worry about is Kangaroos, but with a bullbar you just drive over them and keep on going.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 05:57 PM   #47
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
i do believe the government are not lying when they state that every 5kph over the limit doubles your risk of accident
the catch is though - the chances of actually being involved in an accident are that low, that doubling it means almost nothing. the average person is involved in so few accidents (having already had their chances doubled/quadrupled and more) that their chances must be something like .00001% or less. double it and not much extra danger
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 06:06 PM   #48
Bridgette01
Happy Wife = Happy Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
But you do 'speed'

You are a very very very clever driver not to sway into the 63k's in a 60 zone ..... or do you check that you are doing 63 and then go back to 60? You know you are breaking the law EVERY time you do this? NO ONE .... and without an exaggeration ... 100% of people who drive drift a few K's over EVERY time they drive. It is impossible to stay under 100% of the time safely unless you are not paying attention to the road .... and ESPECIALLY in a G6ET. Difference being .... you haven't done it in front of a speed camera Sorry but with your attitude it is the very reason govco is laughing all the way to the bank.
Interesting point, I check my speed every 5 seconds, how often do you check yours? Forget what car I am driving, it makes no difference.Checking the speedo takes the same time if not less time then checking your mirrors. Why do I feel like I am the bad guy here.

Old 17-12-2011, 06:20 PM   #49
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Interesting point, I check my speed every 5 seconds, how often do you check yours? Forget what car I am driving, it makes no difference.Checking the speedo takes the same time if not less time then checking your mirrors. Why do I feel like I am the bad guy here.
Not saying your the bad guy here .....

It does matter what car you drive though. A new model with a few kilowasps will go from 60 to 63 in around 1 second (or less) ..... if you check your speedo every 5 seconds that would be enough to go from 60 to 70 and then back down again. I check my speedo often ...... couldn't say in seconds as I tend to drive more to my surroundings, being as totally aware as my surroundings as possible and adjust my speed when it does creep over the limit. Speed alerts are as useful as tits on a bull unless your on a freeway or long highway but tend to use cruise in the instances.

It is impossible to drive and stay under the limit 100% of the time ...... 3 k's over and people die, you loose points, you get hefty fines ..... it is breaking a serious law and everyone does it every second of the day without the puppies dying.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 06:22 PM   #50
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Still, in that 5 second gap you might creep over. Really clutching at straws, doesnt matter how often you check your speedo IMO, add to that checking that often removes your attention from the road. Im not having a go at you but im sure you have crept over more times then you can count.
Old 17-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #51
Bridgette01
Happy Wife = Happy Life

As you say, I may have sped many hundreds if not thousands of times on the road over the last 10 + years. However, I try to keep it to a minimum and its worked for me. This is the last comment I will make on this matter

Last edited by Bridgette01; 17-12-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 17-12-2011, 06:59 PM   #52
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
which proves my point they (government) don't care whether you, or anyone in your family live or die.

funny thing is, we won't do anything to stop them from trotting out this garbage.
Govco uses the 'news' on TV to scare the bejesus out of people and constantly beat the "Speed Kills" drum. They are accomplishing this by preying on fear. Take this power away from them and they wither and die...

Oh and the fact that both 'sides' of the political fence are trumpeting the 'safety' camera route to reducing the road toll speaks volumes about who actually runs the show in this formerly great land of Australia.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 07:16 PM   #53
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

Quote:
If that statement is literal, you are one dangerous driver & are very lucky to be here telling the story, just hope I'm never driving around you.
There's 12 lots of 5 seconds in a minute, but lets cut it back to 10. If you look at your speedo 10 times per minute, allowing for 2 seconds each time for eyes off the road-onto speedo-back to the road, that's 20 seconds in every minute you drive, where your eyes are off the road & you have no idea what's in front of you or surrounding you. Just think how many people you can run over, or how many cars/trucks you can run into the back of, that you don't see in that 20 seconds. 1/3 of all your time driving is spent being distracted from the road & your surroundings, whilst you're watching the speedo, so you don't get caught speeding, or so you can supposedly drive safe.
At 60km/h you travel at 16.7 meters per second, so for every 2 seconds your eyes are off the road & on the speedo, you've traveled 33.4 meters, (longer than a cricket pitch, almost half a football field (not Aussie Rules)). That's roughly the distance it'll take you to completely stop from 60km/h, so if someone hasn't stepped onto the road in front of you, or the vehicle in front hasn't put their foot on the brake before you look down at your speedo, you're going to collect them on the front of your car.
Old 17-12-2011, 07:39 PM   #54
Bridgette01
Happy Wife = Happy Life

My FG has a big digital speed read out in BIG NUMBERS. My eyes are capable of checking speed in LESS then .5 of a second. If your eyes take 2 seconds to check your speed, best not to check it at all perhaps. Hope I dont meet YOU on the road

Old 17-12-2011, 08:25 PM   #55
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

Quote:
My FG has a big digital speed read out in BIG NUMBERS. My eyes are capable of checking speed in LESS then .5 of a second. If your eyes take 2 seconds to check your speed, best not to check it at all perhaps. Hope I dont meet YOU on the road
It seems no official studies have been done into time taken to look at the speedo (what I can find), but unofficial studies have been done in the UK & it seems about 1.5 seconds is the norm. It's not just a matter of reading the numbers, you have to allow for distraction time (from road - speedo - back to road), & the focus time for your eyes from distant (about 20 meters in front of you) to closeup (1 meter in front of you) & back to distant again. Your 0.5 sec is just fanciful. Maybe this makes me a bad driver, but I'm not obsessed with drifting a few k's over the limit, I only check my speedo once every 2 -3 minutes, so my eyes are only off the road for 2 - 3 seconds every 3 minutes, in the same time frame even using your times, your not watching the road for 18 seconds.
There's no official set times to check your mirrors or speedo, but if you check it every 5 seconds, your obsessed with your speed & far too distracted, your mind can't possibly be focused on the road & your surroundings, it's concentrating on your speed & what the speedo says.
Old 17-12-2011, 08:30 PM   #56
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

But whats the solution? You can vote the government out again, but the next one will come in, and will have a need to milk the motorist to help pay for all their election promises. Its a never ending merry-go-round.

The Governments of Australia are getting away with far too much, federal and state governments are constantly sinking to new lows to fleece the people to pay for their screwed up failed projects and cost blow outs, and its time the people rose up to stop the rot, but it takes a nation of millions to stand together, not for a few to stand up and for the others to sit back and watch, so nothing will happen.

How do we change this, who knows.

Rant over.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #57
Bridgette01
Happy Wife = Happy Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramania
It seems no official studies have been done into time taken to look at the speedo (what I can find), but unofficial studies have been done in the UK & it seems about 1.5 seconds is the norm. It's not just a matter of reading the numbers, you have to allow for distraction time (from road - speedo - back to road), & the focus time for your eyes from distant (about 20 meters in front of you) to closeup (1 meter in front of you) & back to distant again. Your 0.5 sec is just fanciful. Maybe this makes me a bad driver, but I'm not obsessed with drifting a few k's over the limit, I only check my speedo once every 2 -3 minutes, so my eyes are only off the road for 2 - 3 seconds every 3 minutes, in the same time frame even using your times, your not watching the road for 18 seconds.
There's no official set times to check your mirrors or speedo, but if you check it every 5 seconds, your obsessed with your speed & far too distracted, your mind can't possibly be focused on the road & your surroundings, it's concentrating on your speed & what the speedo says.
Ok, forget the speedo, just look at the road and the tickets will continue to flow for some.

Old 17-12-2011, 09:22 PM   #58
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ok, forget the speedo, just look at the road and the tickets will continue to flow for some.
Yes, but there won't be an increase in accidents as a result, and I think that is the main point here.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 11:20 PM   #59
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Even if it takes you 0.5 seconds to check your speed, doing that ever 5 seconds means you will be looking away from the road for 6 seconds every minute.
Drive the east cost of Australia and you will spend a couple of those hours looking at your dashboard instead of the road.

Sure you need to check your speed, but I don't think we should be looking every few seconds.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 12:42 AM   #60
patxbcoupe
aussie coupes belong here

But whats the solution? You can vote the government out again, but the next one will come in, and will have a need to milk the motorist to help pay for all their election promises. Its a never ending merry-go-round.

The Governments of Australia are getting away with far too much, federal and state governments are constantly sinking to new lows to fleece the people to pay for their screwed up failed projects and cost blow outs, and its time the people rose up to stop the rot, but it takes a nation of millions to stand together, not for a few to stand up and for the others to sit back and watch, so nothing will happen.

How do we change this, who knows.

Totally agreed with this comment above, the main point of this thread is that unfortunately we are being fleeced more and more every year by our greedy and corrupt goverments, and we really need to stand as a group and say "ENOUGH".... pointless bickering among ourselves here over how many times we check the speedo etc, that type of driving behaviour is just another negative side effect of the brainwashing we are all subjected to daily by the gov't, police and mass media. Certainly this isnt the country I grew up in and was proud to be a part of, not so long ago...:-(
Cheers Pat
patxbcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post