Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #31
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Everything is not all doom and gloom

The EcoLPI ute I have is just outstanding. Locally made and engineered, you can't get better in my books.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:42 AM   #32
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

We need to put the op's post at the start of the V-Facts thread every month.......
Old 11-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #33
falconator
Regular Yobbo

Whats everybody going on about?Haters,knockers their big beef ,to me is the marketing,not the product.The masses just do not know how good Ford products are,or whats on offer.

QLD number plate....V8 COUPE !!! for sale,make a offer!

Last edited by falconator; 11-06-2012 at 11:08 AM.
falconator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #34
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconator
Whats everybody going on about?Haters,knockers their big beef ,to me is the marketing,not the product.The masses just do not know how good Ford products are,or whats on offer.
And yet Ford had a 13% increase in sales compared to May 2011,
I think the disgruntled fan base has the perception problem
because Ford's overall sales tell a different story and
if imported product weren't so restricted
sales would be much higher..

Ford Australia is part of Ford Asia pacific Africa region and as
Thailand gets up and running, the majority of FoA's sales will
come from within our region. So money flowing from Australia
will go to FAPA, not Ford Europe.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #35
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Yes!

no one looks at the big picture...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #36
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To be honest I couldn't give a stuff about imported sales, I'm a Ford Australia fan not a Ford Thailand fan.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #37
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

While mine has had a few niggling problems, and I've had a moan about them, all were fixed under warranty.

As an overall package it's a fantastic car, as was my AU falcon.

Nothing quite like pulling up to the lights knowing that the $100,000+ Euro car sitting next to you doesn't stand a chance
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #38
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
To be honest I couldn't give a stuff about imported sales, I'm a Ford Australia fan not a Ford Thailand fan.
And that is why you're missing the big picture, it's the same company, not the Falcon Motor Company...
Production is safe for another four years, that's a heck of a guarantee from Ford in the face of low sales.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:16 PM   #39
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The situation now is no different to any previous decision, whether around model replacements, platform origin and manufacturing.

In fact, the announcement that there's commitment to the end of 2016 is completely out if the 'norm'!

It's only because there's so much talk in the media and political parties (and manufacturers for dollars) are using all the tactics to better position themselves for the future.

This was all closed door sort if stuff in years gone by, and everybody took it granted and didn't really think twice about where local product was heading.

I understand how some employees are feeling extremely uneasy, especially those down in Geelong, but the reality is, we've been down thus road many times before and we've come out the other side and Geelong is still soldiering on!

Don't give up, take pride in your work and in the value you bring to the organization and communities! You might think the fat lady is singing, but she's still busy eating her cake!
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #40
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
This was all closed door sort if stuff in years gone by, and everybody took it granted and didn't really think twice about where local product was heading.
I think that's the crux of the problem - in this age of information overload, perceptions are easily twisted by the media or anyone with an agenda. Ford are only doing what corporations have done in the past and continue to do; maintain confidentiality until THEY are ready to release information.

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #41
babyf6
Young Ford Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
We need to put the op's post at the start of the V-Facts thread every month.......

We should put it as a soughta motto.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #42
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliman
I think that's the crux of the problem - in this age of information overload, perceptions are easily twisted by the media or anyone with an agenda. Ford are only doing what corporations have done in the past and continue to do; maintain confidentiality until THEY are ready to release information.
We went through the same thing with FG, which was started in 2004 but no confirmation of approval until 2006.

In the great scheme of things, it's effectively mid 2004.....
Old 11-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #43
washoutbeach

Fusion would go gangbusters with the fashionable set.

And we should put the production guys post on a t-shirt, Id wear it every weekend.
washoutbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #44
RASER
Banned

Smile Re: Everything is not all doom and gloom

I like my Ford tray too, before i used a horse and carriage, it was slow, made mess, ate to much and low payload, the Falcon Ute does the trick and uses bugger all LPG to boot.

LONG LIVE FORD FALCON'S!

Last edited by RASER; 13-06-2012 at 03:40 PM. Reason: FAIRLANE NOT FARM!
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #45
NGN 351
FoMoCo Fan

Whilst everything is not all roses for sales all derivatives of the Falcon are great IMO. The elephant in the room is the fact that FoMoCo Aust do not promote the Falcon. Any advertising they have done doesn't grab a lot of attention. To me it's like they have set the car up to fail given the lack of Falcon advertising, just compare this to Camry advertising! FoMoCo need to start pointing out why the Falcon is a better car than it's competition to start off with, this will get public debate going and at least get people into Ford showrooms to hopefully open the door on a fantastic Falcon product!
Old 13-06-2012, 11:28 PM   #46
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Ford is going good with Focus, Fiesta, Ranger etc but it seems like the call has already been made on Falcon. That's why people are annoyed. Its been an Aussie icon forever and now its coming to an end.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 11:33 PM   #47
hawker

Thanks for the post. Good to hear people are still proud to build Aussie cars. I'm proud to drive a Ford Territory, and will be glad to add a Ford Falcon to the garage in the next couple of years. Ecoboost is looking good from my POV.
hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 11:48 PM   #48
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

NOTE - Everyone reading this thread - make sure u pay attention to what your local government/council buys.

I visited Newcastle and passed the Hunter RTA and saw only Toyotas and Hyundais. Suffice to say I sent them a polite complaint. With the EcoBoost and EcoLPI there's no reason not to have some Falcons, Cruzes, commos and Terris in the parking lot. Its unforgivable for local/state/fed govt to buy non-Australian unless they absolutely need, say, a Ranger-style vehicle.
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 12:34 AM   #49
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGN 351
Whilst everything is not all roses for sales all derivatives of the Falcon are great IMO. The elephant in the room is the fact that FoMoCo Aust do not promote the Falcon. Any advertising they have done doesn't grab a lot of attention. To me it's like they have set the car up to fail given the lack of Falcon advertising, just compare this to Camry advertising! FoMoCo need to start pointing out why the Falcon is a better car than it's competition to start off with, this will get public debate going and at least get people into Ford showrooms to hopefully open the door on a fantastic Falcon product!
Private Australia no longer want the traditional Aussie large car, the SUV is where its at now. Falcons market is more than ever fleets whom are downsizing to more fuel efficient cars, this is precisely where the EcoBoost and EcoLPI Falc fits in and where Ford is pitching it.

jjd80 may know more on this
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #50
LTDHO
The one and only

I'm all for posative thinking, etc. But will this change FoA marketing?
It would only take a few hours on her and FoA PR would know what the dedicated Fans want and need. Then sales will go through the roof.

Me a hater?
Nope.
Disapointed?
Very.

It was made very clear on Raid 02 that AU damaged FoA and BA did a lot to rise out of the ruins. There is still a long way to go and not alot being done in the last ten years.

rdmr, thanks for your insite. Most here (me included) seem to forget some of that.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 07:47 AM   #51
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pretty obvious that a lot of Ford fans have the worlds biggest rear vision mirror...
Old 14-06-2012, 08:05 AM   #52
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Well, in light of my desire of late to communicate that Ford need to market against their weaknesses, here's a suggestion for a desperately needed campaign.

"Ford - here for good".

It pilfer's the campaign created by the Newcastle Permanent Building Society - but it implies durability, long term commitment and the duality of them doing something good. And it goes against what seems to be the public perception of Ford.

Lukeyson
Old 14-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #53
gunner

I think there's no doubt that Ford Aus's Aussie manufacturing side is struggling, however nobody is pointing out the benefits of Aussie manufacturing to Ford globally.
  • Would Ford Aus have designed the new Ranger if they did not have experience designing and building the Falcon, Falcon Ute and Territory? No.
  • Would the Ranger be class-leading if Ford Aus did not have experience designing and building their Australian cars? No.
  • Without the shoe-string budgets Ford Aus has survived on for the past decade would Ford Aus have been given the responsibility and the faith to bring the Figo to developing markets? No.
Ford Aus is consistently bringing out world class vehicles with world class technology on a tight budget and it is all directly attributable to their Australian manufacturing experience. I believe that the value to FoMoCo that Ford Aus brings is worth sacrificing some money on Australian manufacturing.

What nobody is mentioning here either are the bright spots in the near future:
the Territory market in Thailand is huge. Nobody around here seems to know exact numbers but if Territory can sell even 500 a month in Thailand then all of a sudden the manufacturing numbers in Australia look a lot better. Ford may no longer be known as the Falcon company but they could be known as the Territory company, and that won't be a bad thing.
And that's not to mention the rumours of a Mustang / Falcon sharing development costs...

The future for Ford Aus is brighter than most realise and I am a firm believer that Ford Aus is here to stay. I will continue to buy Australian designed (Ranger), not because it's Australian designed but because it's the best in class. I don't need to make excuses for buying Australian because excuses aren't needed. And when the time comes to buy a big family car I will buy the Falcon. Not because it's Australian designed and manufactured but because it is best in class.
gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #54
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As a side note, a bit of positive thought to throw into the thread:

Pretty much all of the recent (locally produced) Fords I have tested in the past 10 years have beaten (IMO) the offering from Holden in build quality, steeering, and handling.

that's all I wanted to say.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #55
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner

What nobody is mentioning here either are the bright spots in the near future:
the Territory market in Thailand is huge. Nobody around here seems to know exact numbers but if Territory can sell even 500 a month in Thailand then all of a sudden the manufacturing numbers in Australia look a lot better. Ford may no longer be known as the Falcon company but they could be known as the Territory company, and that won't be a bad thing.
And that's not to mention the rumours of a Mustang / Falcon sharing development costs...
They have said they think they might be able to sell 100 or so a YEAR in Thailand. Good luck getting that 500 a month.

The Thai Government is taxing the hell out of it which basically makes it uncompetitive. So much for free trade.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #56
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
They have said they think they might be able to sell 100 or so a YEAR in Thailand. Good luck getting that 500 a month.

The Thai Government is taxing the hell out of it which basically makes it uncompetitive. So much for free trade.
Now that it has an engine under 3.0 litres, it now avoids a lot of those taxes..
There still are some taxes but not as bad as previously..
Old 14-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #57
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytaka
As a side note, a bit of positive thought to throw into the thread:

Pretty much all of the recent (locally produced) Fords I have tested in the past 10 years have beaten (IMO) the offering from Holden in build quality, steeering, and handling.

that's all I wanted to say.
That has ALWAYS been the way!

Other than when Ford dropped the ball with the V8 and GMH had the LS1 we have had it all over the red team. Everyone goes on about the VE's chassis when it took how long for them to finally get line ball?

Engineering has never been an issue with FoA, and this is reflected in us being the regional hub. Cost cutting the hell out the cars doesnt help the "quality" perception..and I think enough has been said about the rest of the business.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #58
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Now that it has an engine under 3.0 litres, it now avoids a lot of those taxes..
There still are some taxes but not as bad as previously..
I can't remember the figures but the tax is still significant. 50% or something like that, instead of 100%.

Still blows the price way out.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #59
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I can't remember the figures but the tax is still significant. 50% or something like that, instead of 100%.

Still blows the price way out.
IIRC, the locally built vehicles (bus/transport tax?) still have that tax applied too..
Old 15-06-2012, 12:32 AM   #60
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Thai tax was 60% to any foreign petrol engine car over 3l. The oiler Terri is subject to the same tax, but down to 50%. Either way, ford are expecting 100 sales/year.

I believe the above tax has been around for many years, Ford tried exporting the Terri in the early days under the free trade, but the tax screwed it.

Was in Thailand late last year and the Chevrolet Captive appeared quite popular, it has a smaller engine I think? and it also built in Thailand so the market is there for SUV's, possibly only compact ones though and that's were the Kuga will fit in quite nicely, not much room for our Terri I suspect.

New Zealand is the biggest export market for the Terri and that's less than 2,000/year.

I'm a life long Ford man, never bought another brand, something like 14 fords and I buy new, I don't know what will replace my FG XR8 but I quite like the idea of an AWD turbo Terri or a AWD turbo Taurus (badged as a Falcon) or of course a Mustang, all of which could be possible so i'm looking forward to Fords future.

Our beloved Falcon is on its last legs an an Aussie car though, but we can take heart in the fact that it's Australia's best selling car, Australia's longest serving name plate, longest serving locally designed car and of course, gave birth to Australia's most collectible car and arguably, one of the worlds most collectible cars, the mighty Phase III.

Last edited by Kieron; 15-06-2012 at 12:38 AM.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote