Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-04-2011, 07:28 PM   #31
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: diesel terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
This is rather disappointing after all the hype. I was going to recommend one to a relative but now I am having second thoughts. Spending $3k+ to save $540 a year hardly seems viable to me. The turbo lag also sounds like a bit of a drawback. I cannot help but think an LiLPG version would have made better sense.

You can also tell your relative about the new EcoLPI Falcon
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 07:41 PM   #32
NudgE^SIKBRO
Never late with a V8

Default Re: Diesel territory review(s)

Melbourne to Sydney on a single tank, my 4.0L BA did FRANKSTON to Sydney on a single tank 66L it used...

(Daily)2004 Explorer V8 Limited
(Work) 2014 Kenworth K200 Aerodyne
(Classic) 1969 Mini K, 1340, twin SU's
The beginning is near!!!

Body by Ford. Soul by NudgE
NudgE^SIKBRO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 07:53 PM   #33
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Good point, we havn't heard the aftermarket potential of the Diesel as yet, a new tune etc could see more power and better economy to boot.
I've posted some information on tuned TDV6 2.7L in previous threads.

http://www.kraftwerk.com.au/car_selector_2.php?id=624
140kW/440Nm > 169kW/510Nm

http://www.chipexpress.com/products/1072/
140kW/440Nm > 170kW/520Nm

http://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/....7-tdv6-190-ps
140kW/440Nm > 171kW/530Nm

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 08:15 PM   #34
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
You can also tell your relative about the new EcoLPI Falcon
If there was a wagon available, yes. Unfortunately a sedan simply doesn't suit their needs.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 11:55 PM   #35
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem with the carsguide article is that a squillion more people will read it vs the go auto article.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:37 AM   #36
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
I'm always amazed after passing a car in our 2.0L Diesel Peugeot how fast I'm going when I pull back in the correct lane, in 6th gear too. No down shifts required.
Is it because you have fallen asleep waiting for the overtake to be completed before you wake up and realise you have actually made it past :-)
Old 08-04-2011, 05:38 AM   #37
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NudgE^SIKBRO
Melbourne to Sydney on a single tank, my 4.0L BA did FRANKSTON to Sydney on a single tank 66L it used...
Done it a few times in the F6 ute.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:37 AM   #38
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
Is it because you have fallen asleep waiting for the overtake to be completed before you wake up and realise you have actually made it past :-)
Nope, once the turbo spools up then you're off and flying, although it doesn't feel like it. One of the characteristics of driving a modern turbo diesel.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:24 PM   #39
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Typical Car's Guide Ford bashing.

It will sell very well, as will the new LPG Falcon.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 06:58 AM   #40
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
Done it a few times in the F6 ute.
Doesn't the ute have the largest fuel tank.

Edit: Ute 81L, Sedan 68L and Terry 75L
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 09:54 AM   #41
mcnews
Trev

Good review of the Territory in this morning's Drive.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:41 AM   #42
stang65
FPRJET

Link?
stang65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2011, 09:15 AM   #43
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang65
Link?

Territory Vs Territory

RWD TDCI Titanium Territory

Log book

Total distance: 7666km

Time taken: 6.5 days

Total driving time: 79 hours, 39 minutes

Fuel use: 694 litres

Average fuel use: 9.1L/100km

Best fuel use: 7.0L/100km (Ararat to Melbourne)

Worst fuel use: 10.4 L/100km (Darwin to Daly Waters)

Most expensive fuel: $1.94 (Daly Waters)
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2011, 10:04 AM   #44
Flat Top
lid man

i think theres a good aftermarket opening here?? chips chips chips
Flat Top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #45
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Top
i think theres a good aftermarket opening here?? chips chips chips
More like intercooler intercooler intercooler...you should see the size of it, it looks like a postage stamp

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2011, 12:58 PM   #46
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
The problem with the carsguide article is that a squillion more people will read it vs the go auto article.

Yes. The whole liftout was bereft of any advertising for Ford cars (and Holden for that matter). And the main thing that stuck out about the Territory write up was the "under performance of the engine" and the fuel economy. But just to rub it in a bit more, the author went onto to say, it would take 6 years to get back the extra money one would pay for the Diesel engine.

It takes alot of good publicity in a 50,000 readership magazine (or expensive television ads) , to counteract bad publicity in a 2 million readership newspaper.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2011, 01:14 PM   #47
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
Yes. The whole liftout was bereft of any advertising for Ford cars (and Holden for that matter). And the main thing that stuck out about the Territory write up was the "under performance of the engine" and the fuel economy. But just to rub it in a bit more, the author went onto to say, it would take 6 years to get back the extra money one would pay for the Diesel engine.
The Drive article came to the same conclusion, so it's not 'carsguide ford bashing' as you are implying.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #48
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
The Drive article came to the same conclusion, so it's not 'carsguide ford bashing' as you are implying.

I wasnt implying anything. It was just how I read the article. As I dont buy car magazines, and I probably wont see any Ford advertising contradicting the article, then its the only impression of the new territory that is going to stick in my (and I assume quite alot of others) heads.

The author has driven the car, I havent. When I mentioned the line "But just to rub it in a bit more, the author went onto to say, it would take 6 years to get back the extra money one would pay for the Diesel engine", I was commenting not on the authors view, but the way in which any potential buyer is going to view the benefit of buying a diesel. ie Its hardly a money saver fuel wise (which was going to be one of its main selling points), if it takes 6 years to get the fuel savings back..

And in all reality, if you have to pay an extra $3000 upfront for a diesel, then you are losing an extra $360 a year in extra interest payments (or opportunity lost), so the costs are actually greater than $3000, so their will probably never be a payback period.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #49
stevz
Banned

Quote:
I wasnt implying anything. It was just how I read the article. As I dont buy car magazines, and I probably wont see any Ford advertising contradicting the article, then its the only impression of the new territory that is going to stick in my (and I assume quite alot of others) heads.

The author has driven the car, I havent. When I mentioned the line "But just to rub it in a bit more, the author went onto to say, it would take 6 years to get back the extra money one would pay for the Diesel engine", I was commenting not on the authors view, but the way in which any potential buyer is going to view the benefit of buying a diesel. ie Its hardly a money saver fuel wise (which was going to be one of its main selling points), if it takes 6 years to get the fuel savings back..

And in all reality, if you have to pay an extra $3000 upfront for a diesel, then you are losing an extra $360 a year in extra interest payments (or opportunity lost), so the costs are actually greater than $3000, so their will probably never be a payback period.
If what the journos are saying is true then I have no problem with it. Maybe Ford shouldn't be making unrealistic claims in their advertising.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #50
1TUFFUTE
Banned

i dont hear them mentioning that ALL diesels have a premium. Its them jumping on some stupid notion that its an extra so you have to make the money back.Never mind the driving experience of diesle tourque the whole time. Idiots. Ive read numerous comparoes where the captiva was clearly the bottom feeder and not once do they bag it out. there a pack of biased whingers. ITs Australian..Its Diesel...Its an amazing car...Great value..looks great. Toools
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2011, 03:29 PM   #51
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

You really are a Troll !!

No post you make is in any way positive towards the Ford Brand

Why are you here, what is your agenda ?
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #52
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The payback period for a diesel's premium price rarely makes sense for any make or model where equivalent petrol and diesel models are compared purely on savings at the bowser. What tips the equation in favour of diesel in so many instances is the superior resale value.

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2011, 10:38 PM   #53
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

If you read the drive article the 6 year payback was worked out in doing 15,000k's a year. Thought the average k's is higher then that.

It also states that if Fuel prices go higher then Diesel will be even more attractive.

The only thing it doesn't talk about is that the car would have a better resale when it comes time to trade up.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:31 PM   #54
stang65
FPRJET

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang65
Link?
Thanks for the link awesome reading.
I tried a search earlier with google and couldn't find it.
stang65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2011, 11:37 PM   #55
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
If you read the drive article the 6 year payback was worked out in doing 15,000k's a year. Thought the average k's is higher then that.

It also states that if Fuel prices go higher then Diesel will be even more attractive.

The only thing it doesn't talk about is that the car would have a better resale when it comes time to trade up.
i think what should be happening if they want to whinge about diesel costing...is add the option and then start comparing costs to its competitor diesel suvs. Option smotion..ha
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2011, 11:55 PM   #56
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
i think what should be happening if they want to whinge about diesel costing...is add the option and then start comparing costs to its competitor diesel suvs. Option smotion..ha
I personaly would like to see one test with a RWD petrol and a RWD diesel.
All these articles don't actually compare the two models and see how much less fuel you use.

Using real world figures and comparing with ADR derived figures seems really pointless and makes the article complete rubbish. But why should things be done properly its easier to do a ACA/TT style of report get to drive a new model and go home.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:13 AM   #57
mcnews
Trev

The new Territory also has the updated petrol too? So yes would be interesting to put the two head to head, overtaking time splits, 0-60, 0-100, 80-120, 60-100 etc. etc. And also compare fuel economy, highway and city.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:40 PM   #58
bmorris

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/516...-diesel-review

A good review for the new Territory
bmorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2011, 12:42 AM   #59
Buntz
Straight Eight

By the way. New Territory officially on sale today.
Old 27-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #60
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Biggest disappointment of 2011 - Diesel Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Hack
And the Ford Territory diesel: sorry, it’s not as good as the Koreans.
Last year it was the new GT, this year it's the Territory

http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2011...ear-2011-28131
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post