Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-11-2011, 09:13 PM   #31
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Letting go of a Financial black hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
I find it odd that you "can't get tyres" for a 1983 car...My '82 Celica has period Supra wheels on it, which are supposed to be fitted with 225/60-14's...you can get them, but they cost a fortune, so I looked up a tyre size comparitor calculator on the net, and found that there was only a few mm each way difference between that size and 215/65-14 tyres which are still commonly available for good prices.

There was no such thing as run-flats back then, so I also find it odd that the wheels would need replacing...although i do remember using the excuse to my old man when I was 17 that my Mazda Capella needed a set of alloys because "the tyres are wider and safer"...
the tyres he is on about will be metric...very hard to get these days...
the FC or FD LTD had the same problem..
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 09:30 PM   #32
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphanna

Plus an engine is never the same once they have been repaired. I walked away, and used my XE Fairmont every day, from that point on.

How is and engine changed after changing a head gasket?
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 09:49 PM   #33
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
I wish I had realised this before I sold my Toyota Now I'm lumbered with a car that leaves a trail of parts everywhere it goes and returns 14L/100 km I would have been better off fixing my old car for $1k.
Experience is a hard teacher but it also allows you to find that true bargain next time around...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 09:32 AM   #34
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
Originally Posted by jphanna

Plus an engine is never the same once they have been repaired.

How is and engine changed after changing a head gasket?
if it's not done properly it can lead to further breakdowns. if the engine and head are kept clean during the rebuild, there shouldn't be any 'change' afterwards (it's not like an accident frame repair)
Old 03-11-2011, 09:46 AM   #35
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
if it's not done properly it can lead to further breakdowns. if the engine and head are kept clean during the rebuild, there shouldn't be any 'change' afterwards (it's not like an accident frame repair)

i had a few let go, and i know of others with same results after they have been repaired. they run slightly lumpy, if only the head is repaired. i am not a mechanic, but when my first one went (torana) my then mechanic told me that if one or two pots have been running with water in the mix, then unless the block is rebored as well ($$$$), then how can you have equal compression? most head gasket repair jobs are only top end.
FG XR6 (son)
jphanna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 10:02 AM   #36
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did some basic maths late last year...

My AU Falcon had cost me $1500 in servicing last year (things were starting to go). It was costing abotu $70 in petrol per week. Rego and insurance added on top.

Then I worked out the cost of buying a brand new car on a novated lease. For less than the weekly cost of running the AU I am novating a new car.

Makes so much more sense in the long run!
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 11:31 AM   #37
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i don`t care for the repairs vs market value rule, i think you can recycle an old car if you like it, and it can be a very good banger as long as the body is good(worthwhile), and if it`s refurbished properly,............... and i`ve always enjoyed the refurbishing myself, even though i`m slowin down a bit in my old age :(.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 12:15 PM   #38
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytaka
I did some basic maths late last year...

My AU Falcon had cost me $1500 in servicing last year (things were starting to go). It was costing abotu $70 in petrol per week. Rego and insurance added on top.

Then I worked out the cost of buying a brand new car on a novated lease. For less than the weekly cost of running the AU I am novating a new car.

Makes so much more sense in the long run!
Are you comparing apples with apples? I can't imagine how financing a new vehicle, plus fuel and maintenance would be cheaper than keeping your AU on the road. The AU would have cost you around $7K last year on those figures. Lease payments alone on a $35K car would exceed that.

I've leased new cars for a while. I am having trouble justifying it now, especially with the new FBT laws.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #39
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

My old BA XR6 was fast becoming a money pit. In the last 2 years of owning it we've shovelled quite a bit of money into it on things that either went wrong or preventative maintenance on known issues with this model, in addition to servicing every 10,000km.

At the time of trading in it still needed:
1 set of tyres.
Seat repair, worn and torn bolster upholstery and foam leaking out.
Front end and suspension work (got a quote from Pedders that nearly gave me a heart attack).
Rear window tint bubbling badly, needed to be redone.
Lots of condensation recently at the base of the windscreen. I took it as a bad sign.

Next due service at 210,000km it was going to need full brakes front and rear.

Even halving the Pedders quote we were still looking down the barrell of having to spend plenty on it.

I was going to keep it until it was completely shagged but after discussion we decided to cut our losses and trade it.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 01:55 PM   #40
aualright

Funny you speak of the Mazda 929's head gasket. I had a '77 model in the late 80's that went through head gaskets like there was no tomorrow. Was the 1800cc too.

Re repairing cars. I have held onto to my AU XR8 because it is such a solid and enjoyable car. Just put a reco LSD diff in and it feels brand new. No more diff clunks and whines and great power delivery once again.

Will need a new clutch soon but after 200,000km I won't hesitate in keeping it 'maintained' rather than upgrade to a new or newer car.

At the end of the day it costs me bugger all and is a known entity having owned it for 8 years.

aualright is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 02:41 PM   #41
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Some of you guys are complaining about general maintenance..
Sheesh ....
I do most repairs / maintenance myself though....
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 05:07 PM   #42
GTP-03

yes. :0)