Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-12-2007, 03:01 PM   #31
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I reckon its simply a case of no one wanting to pay ridiculous prices anymore, the days of buying an investment GTHO are over, if you pay 600k + for one its unlikely you'll make much money on it in the future as most, or all of the appreciation has already been done. People must be realising that paying that much for one means you will stuggle to make money on it if you sold it, so the demand is dropping off, judging by the number of them being turned in at auctions recently.
How many Phase 3's have passed in at Auction recently? 1? hardly grounds for such bold statements.....

Old 14-12-2007, 04:25 PM   #32
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
How many Phase 3's have passed in at Auction recently? 1? hardly grounds for such bold statements.....
There were a couple of expensive GT's passed in.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2007, 05:27 PM   #33
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I suspose it will all come down to supply and demand and how our economy goes, my missus works for one off the leading bank's in instittional banking & financial institutions, and from what she understand's, with regard's to our economy and future direction, thing's are not going to stay the same, interest rates are very much a focus point and as the market is showing and from what they have forseen, thing's will be on the rise and not just as you might think, but time wil tell.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2007, 05:43 PM   #34
GK351

Quote:
And a few have gone missing too.
I guess people who cant afford them want to take them for free mabye?
GK351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2007, 05:44 PM   #35
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Were there? Which ones? allot of factors influence these kinds of sales.. including the results of inspection reports etc... dont just blindly assume the market has crashed just because a couple failed to meet their reserve, maybe the owners were too greedy with their reserve? maybe there were other factors.. maybe there were no buyers at the auction? some cars are in good condition, some not so good.. maybe people are scared off from auctions now, who knows.

Old 14-12-2007, 06:26 PM   #36
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Were there? Which ones? allot of factors influence these kinds of sales.. including the results of inspection reports etc... dont just blindly assume the market has crashed just because a couple failed to meet their reserve, maybe the owners were too greedy with their reserve? maybe there were other factors.. maybe there were no buyers at the auction? some cars are in good condition, some not so good.. maybe people are scared off from auctions now, who knows.
Fair enough, but I think its a sign of things to come. The bubble has to burst sometime.
Old 14-12-2007, 06:35 PM   #37
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Keep a strong eye on the American economy, what you see happen there is a very strong influence what will happen here, expert's have predicted a recession is not to far away. I'd be more worried about other thing's in general than the failing prices in muscle cars.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2007, 07:01 PM   #38
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Keep a strong eye on the American economy, what you see happen there is a very strong influence what will happen here, expert's have predicted a recession is not to far away. I'd be more worried about other thing's in general than the failing prices in muscle cars.
+1

If you think the price of all muscle cars is going to keep going up and up I think you're off ya tits. There's bigger things to worry about, and unless you have a genuine museum like historic piece in 30 years time, I don't think you're going to be on too much of a winner. Nor will you be able to afford running them!

I think the prices for the "low to mid" range of cars is probably the worst. The ones that have a fair helping of rust yet sell for ridiculous amounts because people are made to believe there's none left. Yet they're constantly on sites like eBay and if people bothered to get off from behind the computer they'd find there's actually a lot of the cars out there.
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2007, 08:47 PM   #39
Jayden
Graphic Artist

everything has gone up and will continue to go up untell something snaps. Ill wait cautiously till then.

C.mon Economy. break damn it.

jk
Old 14-12-2007, 11:39 PM   #40
Sprint347
Tickford

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
absolutely...
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Sprint347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2007, 02:16 AM   #41
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_eb_fairmont
Well, there's more old cars on he road now then there ever was, people are starting to find them in old barns and sheds and snatching them up. So, there are more around, but I haven't really noticed a big drop in prices.
That's impossible. How can there be more old cars than ever before. When the old cars were new, there was whatever number of them produced, then you take away all the ones that died and you're left with the number today - can't possibly be more.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2007, 02:43 AM   #42
T3-STROKER
AU.OUTLAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cob115
hello people this is my first post so if its all wrong please dont hurt me, : any way i reckon muscle car prices are falling if you look around you can see old school gt falcons droping in price iv also spoken to a few others who have noticed this too ,it may be the Rudd factor or xmas but a definit falling in a lot of cases
no way : : :
Old 15-12-2007, 08:42 AM   #43
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
That's impossible. How can there be more old cars than ever before. When the old cars were new, there was whatever number of them produced, then you take away all the ones that died and you're left with the number today - can't possibly be more.
I think he means more replicas???

I remember reading something in Australian Muscle Car Magazine about there being something like 20 times more GTHO replicas then there are actual GTHO's produced in Sydney alone.

I think a lot of former six cylinder Falcons have since sprouted Cleveland 351's.

For that matter where does everybody get their Cleveland motors from are they all reconditioned motors??

I know you can get aftermarket Windsor crate engines but I haven't seen any Clevos.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2007, 09:07 AM   #44
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
For that matter where does everybody get their Cleveland motors from are they all reconditioned motors??

I know you can get aftermarket Windsor crate engines but I haven't seen any Clevos.
Have a look here:

http://www.pavtek.com.au/index.php?o...d=18&Itemid=19

http://www.trickandmanswetoracing.co...-packages.html
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2007, 09:11 AM   #45
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I can't see them falling yet, not with Replicas asking over 100k.
Old 15-12-2007, 10:01 AM   #46
ebau
Starter Motor

The buyers of high end cars are usually very astute cashed up and aware of what the market is doing if it looked like the market was falling there would be a lot more cars back on the market , same as when stocks start to fall , the market get flooded. Classic Muscle cars are like land , they aint making no more. If you want to buy an older sports car that is still well priced look for early 70's 911 Porsches. As they get harder to find and more get trashed they will keep going up and you can also drive them with out freaking out that it will get bent or pinched. I dont think I would feel comfortable driving a $350,000 xy around to the local pub for a few beers. Another car that is still under priced compared to Aussie Muscle are Shelby Mustangs, can still be had for $200 k, Carol Shelby is 80 +++ now, once he dies they will go up same as Brock cars did. Thats my opinion
ebau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2007, 10:03 AM   #47
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
I remember reading something in Australian Muscle Car Magazine about there being something like 20 times more GTHO replicas then there are actual GTHO's produced in Sydney alone.
Umm.... I think you'll find that was tongue in cheek.....

Old 15-12-2007, 10:17 AM   #48
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
I can't see them falling yet, not with Replicas asking over 100k.
About the only thing that car has in common with a GT is the side stripe!
I don't know how they call it a replica, what's it replicating? last time i checked Ford didnt make XY 427 dart powered drag cars in 1971!!

This is my idea of a replica, at least its pretty close to the original, good value for 65K too:
http://www.australianmusclecarsales....le_view/102691

Old 15-12-2007, 11:22 AM   #49
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Because each time an updated model is released, the previous model changes status from new to old, thus adding a whole model range to the number of existing old cars on the road.

BA GT-P Blueprint
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2007, 11:53 PM   #50
FTGAutosalvage
Commercial Sponsor

I dont think prices have fallen , the right cars will still get the good $$$$
I have been getting some big offers. but mine are not for sale, I enjoy driving them way to much.

But another thing i have found with 'offers' is that if you turned around and said yes most of these people would turn and run.
FTGAutosalvage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 12:11 AM   #51
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTGAutosalvage
But another thing i have found with 'offers' is that if you turned around and said yes most of these people would turn and run.
Never thought of it like that!
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 12:24 AM   #52
Shaggzy
"BMX_datto"

I was just looking on www.australianmusclecarsales.com.au and an XY GT's are going for anywhere in between $170,000 and $1,000,000
Some how i dont think those prices are falling, although a wild violet one has been reduced to only $190,000 that must almost be a bargain!!!!!!
Shaggzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 12:34 AM   #53
FTGAutosalvage
Commercial Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMX_datto
I was just looking on www.australianmusclecarsales.com.au and an XY GT's are going for anywhere in between $170,000 and $1,000,000
Some how i dont think those prices are falling, although a wild violet one has been reduced to only $190,000 that must almost be a bargain!!!!!!
yeah if you want a purple car :
Old 16-12-2007, 08:15 AM   #54
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Quote:
yeah if you want a purple car :

Many do, it's one of the most sought after colors that brings big $

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11201229
Old 16-12-2007, 10:00 AM   #55
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMX_datto
Just because the sales price is high doesn't mean people will pay that for them. I'm starting to think sellers are jacking the prices up so high to unrealistic prices that eventually no one will want to buy them, and the prices will drop back down to realistic levels. E Type Jags did the same thing.

Fair enough that Ph 3's are pulling 400-500k, I reckon thats a realistic price for such a desirable and rare legend, but heading towards $1 million is going too far.
Old 16-12-2007, 11:06 AM   #56
FTGAutosalvage
Commercial Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Many do, it's one of the most sought after colors that brings big $

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11201229
yeah i know, i just put that in as a stir.
Old 16-12-2007, 07:37 PM   #57
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Its the sellers or speculators trying to make money...
If some fool pays $1m good on him...
But the auction in Sydney that was passed in at around $600,000
is about the right price imo..
From memory the guy paid $60k for it a few years back...
If you want a nostalgic car like that I'd look at U.S www.racejunk.com

I came so close to importing a 7 second turbo Mustang with 351 SVO motors etc.. $20k purchase and $3k delivery...Plus taxes...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 08:54 PM   #58
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Quote:
I would agree with that,I've had some large offers for a couple of cars,I don't take them seriously.
Old 16-12-2007, 09:04 PM   #59
FTGAutosalvage
Commercial Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloxbgt
I would agree with that,I've had some large offers for a couple of cars,I don't take them seriously.
I recently had a large offer for my lime glaze coupe. I said OK but then the excusses came. you will need to wait a bit for me to come up with the $$ blah blah blah. its still locked away in my shed and i dont think its going anywhere.
Old 16-12-2007, 09:30 PM   #60
smally289
growing up is optional

IIRC Ph3 prices have fallen once before they took off to where they are now. I recall when one sold for $75k it made headlines. Not long after you could pick one up for less than 50. Then they went berserk!
At the end of the day a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay, and like someone has already mentioned, a lot of the offers are from wannabe's.
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post