Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-01-2017, 07:21 PM   #31
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Kia's RWD Sedan "Leaked"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
So when both this and the new top spec AWD V6 Commodore go on sale I would assume the choice would be pretty obvious, both police and public.
Ummmmm, and the obvious choice is .... ???????
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2017, 07:29 PM   #32
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
I know I would prefer a twin turbo V6 RWD over a horrible naturally aspirated transverse GM V6 with a "reactive" AWD setup
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2017, 07:38 PM   #33
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I would be interested to see it on the road. For some reason I never really know whether I like the look of a car until I see it in person. Overall it seems like this could be quite special.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2017, 09:12 PM   #34
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It just makes me wonder what Ford Oz could have come up with if they had been given the money to do a clean sheet design.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-01-2017, 09:48 PM   #35
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2017, 10:14 PM   #36
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like it

Rather a V8, but yeh
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2017, 10:56 PM   #37
futura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
Do you really have to ask this question

Kia Stinger. Love it.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:22 PM   #38
Ippy289XP
Banned

The Australian public have been played big time by these overseas manufacturer's.

For years they pushed the small car crap onto us and now they start to release big cars.

They can shove this **** up their ****.
Ippy289XP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2017, 11:42 PM   #39
futura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippy289XP View Post
The Australian public have been played big time by these overseas manufacturer's.

For years they pushed the small car crap onto us and now they start to release big cars.

I think Ford have played us here.

Where is the Ford rear will drive or AWD sedan?
Old 09-01-2017, 11:59 PM   #40
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by futura View Post
I think Ford have played us here.

Where is the Ford rear will drive or AWD sedan?
We had one, hardly anyone bought it.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2017, 12:09 AM   #41
andrich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks great. Kia are on the up and up.
It also looks and is far more promising then the new commodore

-Herrod airbox, Pacemaker 1 7/8inch headers + 100 cell cats and Xforce 2.5inch catback, SSL/SSSL with bilstein shocks and whiteline swaybars, 4 pot Brembo/Red BBR's, 18% Tint, Silver Simmons FR1's in 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 , XR50 tail lights, 4.1 diff gears
andrich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2017, 12:20 AM   #42
futura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can see alot of current commodores owners buying this Kia RWD over the new Commodore.

Wonder who will be the first person to do a Barra turbo conversion.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:20 AM   #43
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Reckon priced sharply will sell better than the Ng commodore.

Easily
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2017, 01:23 AM   #44
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:

The Koreans have been making large, rwd sedans for quite some time now, they just didn't sell them here till it suited them.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2017, 07:33 AM   #45
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stig_3754 View Post
Nice looking car overall. Not quite sold on the rear quarter yet, and that 'T-Bar' shifter looks very '80s IMO....
I think the T-bar(ish) style shifter is a bit of a Kia thing, as it seems to be a common feature among their model range.... eg. Sorento, Optima etc. I kind of like it the more I see it, in a sort of retro way.

Agree generally that this new Stinger looks the goods and I'm looking forward to seeing one in the metal when they arrive.

Best contender yet, I reckon, for the new highway patrol cars based on size, features, performance and price. It would be a far better look for state governments to drop $50k/unit on a 4 door performance police car rather than $100k(?) or so for a Euro something-or-other.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2017, 08:23 AM   #46
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:

No one has been played.

Australians started buying smaller cars because they (the consumer) wanted to. Some manufacturers matched the market and made the most of it...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2017, 10:04 AM   #47
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Suspension will let it down, maybe not in town, but out running the Newell or other, it will be a crap handler.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2017, 10:20 AM   #48
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:

Yes, it would have been much more sensible if they had entered into the fiercely competitive large car market fifteen years ago when the Commodore and Falcon were still selling well.

I'm sure people would have taken the Korean car over both locally produced options whereas now that Holden and Ford are shutting down local production, it makes no sense to import a large car to fill that relatively empty segment of the market.

They should have done it when the competition was utterly stacked against them instead. That would have been great business sense.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2017, 01:29 PM   #49
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just have a few questions about the reaction to the release of this, there seems to be a mix of comments:

I think there is the reaction to a Korean based car company releasing a RWD passenger vehicle, how could a company who builds FWD cars suddenly make something "we" used to make? Ok it isn't a V8, but a twin turbo V6 sounds pretty damn good. So to me, there is a bit of jealousy that Kia are making something Ford and Holden used to do, a 4 door, rear wheel drive family sedan.

What I really want to know is, when Stinger is available for sale in Australia will the buyers really be looking for the RWD aspect of it? Does our country still have an obsession with RWD in general? What if it was AWD, would the release of it be such a fuss? To me, looking at car sales in 2016, we have an obsession for "trucks" and FWD small cars.

I find it truely amazing and quite funny how for years non Korean car companies were making RWD cars for years while Korean companies, like Kia were FWD only, and now, in 2017, the tables have turned.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:58 PM   #50
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t View Post
I just have a few questions about the reaction to the release of this, there seems to be a mix of comments:

I think there is the reaction to a Korean based car company releasing a RWD passenger vehicle, how could a company who builds FWD cars suddenly make something "we" used to make? Ok it isn't a V8, but a twin turbo V6 sounds pretty damn good. So to me, there is a bit of jealousy that Kia are making something Ford and Holden used to do, a 4 door, rear wheel drive family sedan.

What I really want to know is, when Stinger is available for sale in Australia will the buyers really be looking for the RWD aspect of it? Does our country still have an obsession with RWD in general? What if it was AWD, would the release of it be such a fuss? To me, looking at car sales in 2016, we have an obsession for "trucks" and FWD small cars.

I find it truely amazing and quite funny how for years non Korean car companies were making RWD cars for years while Korean companies, like Kia were FWD only, and now, in 2017, the tables have turned.
Lotta people still butthurt the Falcon isn't being made anymore. These are the same people who are driving 4WD utes and FWD buzz boxes.

I don't want a 4WD ute and I would feel restricted and claustrophobic in a buzz box.

I will be considering the Stinger, I'm not a fan of the name of the car and the stupid iPad style display in the middle of the dash but the V6TT intrigues me and if they offer a 7 year warranty how the hell can you go wrong?
Old 10-01-2017, 02:06 PM   #51
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Reckon 'change' has a fair bit to do with the preference for RWD. However in our urbanised society it doesn't matter much.
I think the reality of RWD V FWD hits home on a road like for example Bollon to Charleville in QLD. There are many, many similar roads in this wide brown land, where FWD will..... well, try and kill you. And no amount of Electronic stability control will save you either.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2017, 02:39 PM   #52
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
I think the reality of RWD V FWD hits home on a road like for example Bollon to Charleville in QLD. There are many, many similar roads in this wide brown land, where FWD will..... well, try and kill you.
Off topic about the Kia, but I grew up in Charleville and haven’t driven that road for about 50 years. It was a typical Qld rough dirt road, corregated, etc ......... and I haven’t driven a FWD on those roads ...... so where do FWD cars go wrong there?
Not being smart, just curious. (PS, I have never had a 4wd either)
Old 10-01-2017, 02:49 PM   #53
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Every time you hit a decent bump at speed the wheel lightens significantly or even leaves the road, then when traction is regained the steering wheel is pulled and in severe situations right out of your hands.

Same thing happens with RWD but it's not connected to your steering, so no problem.
On country cars the driving wheels are trashed long before the others give up.
I go through 3-4 sets of rears to one set of fronts.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2017, 03:45 PM   #54
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My ‘outback adventure’ vehicle is a Commodore ute. I sometimes get a confused, pitying look from drivers of 4wd wagons and utes when they see me surveying a rough or boggy bit, (especially around Cameron Corner.) As long as you have the clearance, RWD suits me fine.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:53 PM   #55
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Go to a big shopping center and take a look around at the people, That's why falcons and commodore big RWD sedans don't sell anymore

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2017, 03:59 PM   #56
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
Reckon 'change' has a fair bit to do with the preference for RWD. However in our urbanised society it doesn't matter much.
I think the reality of RWD V FWD hits home on a road like for example Bollon to Charleville in QLD. There are many, many similar roads in this wide brown land, where FWD will..... well, try and kill you. And no amount of Electronic stability control will save you either.
So out bush buyers are more RWD do you think? Does AWD come into the equation too?
Old 10-01-2017, 04:19 PM   #57
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Post 2012 Kia quality outdoes any Falcon I've ever owned. Our Rio has 102,000KM on it now, and doesn't make a noise. Still has original clutch and brake pads too.

I'd be all over this.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2017, 04:45 PM   #58
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hyundai-Kia has read the market very well. They have released two models that cover the demise of the local rwd production. The Genesis for the luxury market G6E, Calais, Statesman and Stinger for the performance market. I have seen a few Genesis hire Cars in Melbourne. I understand Genesis and Stinger are built on the same platform so maybe if the demand is large enough maybe we might see some V8 RWDs from Korea. What gets me why Dearborn with the one Ford policy would not develop a RWD model for the world?
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2017, 04:46 PM   #59
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t View Post
.....Does our country still have an obsession with RWD in general?.....
Nope. Just a lingering interest is all....

A quick look at sales numbers history tells the story.

Commodore: 86,000 sales
Falcon: 73,000 sales

Fast forward to 2016 in a much larger & more diverse market...
Commodore: 26,000 sales
Falcon: 2,500 sales...? I don't actually know the figure, but that is a guess.
(Biggest seller is the Hilux at 42,000 sales, followed closely by the Corolla)

My guess is that a lot of the Falcon/Commodore owners of old have migrated to the dual cab ute,
including the general bogan population. The V8 die-hards will likely hang onto the last run builds of their
aussie sedans and then there is the remainder of this market....

Thus, come the end of 2017 there are potentially around 20,000(?) sales on offer for a reasonably priced, well performing
RWD sedan. I think Kia know what they are doing and this market portion, albeit a smaller one these days, is well worth
having a crack at to bolster their Australian market presence.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2017, 05:18 PM   #60
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

No thanks. May suit Garth Tander though.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post