Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-06-2007, 08:34 PM   #31
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverxr8
Mate, take your GT coloured glasses off, there is stuff all in it between 290 and 260 Boss in stock tune. And the GTS beats the pants off any of the Ford V8's, it is what they it is, doughy and needs to rev to get going anywhere quickly. I think the performance figures back the 260 vs 290 comparison up to, although the weight difference GT vs XR8 may explain some of that?
i am ford through and through . i dont have ford gt glasses on . i had an el xr8 before this GT , and the xr8 sounded way better than the boss ( outside the car. and the performance was disgusting. it had good torque but was asthmatic . something i never disputed . the few ba xr8's i drove had nothing at all when you floor it, kind of like extreme turbo lag. and runout of top end. the gt has a flatspot till about 3500 rpm , still good torque though from 3000 rpm . and thrilling topend with instant response ( no turbo lag. and i have seen F6 mid range break traction at 80km's an hour in a stock f6. something i've never seen an 8 do . i tell it like i see it . the 290 isnt a slug . i'm sorry you compare it to a 260, . i still think the 260 is ok though . everycar needs to rev to get going, in 1st gear these v8's are redlining in about32-3 seconds. faster than your gear changing reaction times.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:35 PM   #32
XR8Master

now, put a modular V8 in ur early e series 1500kg hoon car equiped with batman bodykit, take off its fuel injection, add a carby and u got some serious go go then
XR8Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:38 PM   #33
gtfpv
GT

another point, me as a novice driver, could probably do a better time in a stock 260,because of its lacklustre bottm end, where as id probably break something in a 290. isnt that the general perception around here .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:39 PM   #34
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Pfffff torque hole!

If you want more low down torque get the 3 valve.

BUT! If the BOSS gets VVT than it can be tuned for torque at low revs and max horsepower at high rpm.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:42 PM   #35
XR8Master

Maybe the new orion V8 will have Varible valve timming ?
Old 06-06-2007, 08:43 PM   #36
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8Master
Rolling starts where so so much fun against rice burners and skylines with the XR8, I used to get asked, "bbb b bb but...i drive a skyline...how could I loose ? what have you done to your car ?"
I'm not too sure what your saying here.

FYI, and VE GTS 307kw makes 550nm torque at 4400rpm, Typhoon make it a either 1750 or 2000, massive difference. Its why I think with Ford pulls harder on the road. However it runs out of puff around 5000, so you change gear and hit the 550nm again.....................umm
Old 06-06-2007, 08:48 PM   #37
XR8Master

yes, but the GTS revs to 6k and has an extra 37kw
Old 06-06-2007, 08:51 PM   #38
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
yes, but the GTS revs to 6k and has an extra 37kw
You may not know this, but KW mean top speed, torque means acceleration. Thats why the Turbo is faster in gear.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:54 PM   #39
XR8Master

The extra power the engine produces is converted into torque by the gear box, so yes, power does make a car faster
Old 06-06-2007, 08:56 PM   #40
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSF6
I'm not too sure what your saying here.

FYI, and VE GTS 307kw makes 550nm torque at 4400rpm, Typhoon make it a either 1750 or 2000, massive difference. Its why I think with Ford pulls harder on the road. However it runs out of puff around 5000, so you change gear and hit the 550nm again.....................umm
Don't let the specifications decieve you. The LS2 is one hell of an engine and the best V8 currently avaliable in a local car. It produces at least 87% of its maximum torque from just 1600rpm and this holds strong right through it's rev range.
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:57 PM   #41
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
The extra power the engine produces is converted into torque by the gear box, so yes, power does make a car faster
Dude, the only thing you are contributing to here is your POST count.

Please try to make some sense ?????????

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:07 PM   #42
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3
Don't let the specifications decieve you. The LS2 is one hell of an engine and the best V8 currently avaliable in a local car. It produces at least 87% of its maximum torque from just 1600rpm and this holds strong right through it's rev range.
Hey buddy, they dont. I own one and have driven the other.

But I do agree, the LS2 is superior to a BOSS in most aspects
Old 06-06-2007, 09:08 PM   #43
Phoon Hoon

MOTOR Mag recently published it's Performance Car Of The Year final which included a new VE HSV GTS.

Amongst other marques, they were pitted aginst the XR5 Turbo, two XRs (man & auto) and, of course, my beloved Typhoon. There were 20 cars in total.

The new HSV finished in 18th place. The Typhoon walloped the GTS by a mere 9 places to finish 9th - highest of all Oz produced cars.

I think there's still life in the old Phoon yet.

PS - If you believe that any HSV/SS can get a sub-5, you've been reading too many Holden press releases. Full of shyte.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:09 PM   #44
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Dude, the only thing you are contributing to here is your POST count.

Please try to make some sense ?????????
Times 2

I gave him the benefit of the doubt for the first 10 posts, now just doesn't make sence.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:10 PM   #45
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoon Hoon
MOTOR Mag recently published it's Performance Car Of The Year final which included a new VE HSV GTS.

Amongst other marques, they were pitted aginst the XR5 Turbo, two XRs (man & auto) and, of course, my beloved Typhoon. There were 20 cars in total.

The new HSV finished in 18th place. The Typhoon walloped the GTS by a mere 9 places to finish 9th - highest of all Oz produced cars.

I think there's still life in the old Phoon yet.

PS - If you believe that any HSV/SS can get a sub-5, you've been reading too many Holden press releases. Full of shyte.
Hail Hail.

Thats about the journo's form. Next comparo Ford wins
Old 06-06-2007, 09:10 PM   #46
XR8Master

A gear box converts power into torque in low gears and as you change up each gear you gain more power and less torque.

So what I am saying is that the HSV has more power to convert into torque then a typhoon does, Torque and power figures for an engine both play a role in a cars acceleration time

sorry if it still sounds confusing

This is a good link i found that explains how it all works

http://craig.backfire.ca/pages/autos/horsepower
Old 06-06-2007, 09:14 PM   #47
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes they do. Read the GT vs. Clubsport R8 comparo in Wheels.
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:17 PM   #48
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:

But I do agree, the LS2 is superior to a BOSS in most aspects
I'm kinda thinking that the BOSS with its IRON Block will fare much better in the long run. As most of us will no doubt modify for higher horsepower, these standard factory cast motors will cop a real beating over the years. IRON is certainly heavier which makes the BOSS powered cars more front end heavy, but the BLOCK is more rigid, will not lose it sealing surface as readily and certainly won't suffer as badly from electrolysis corrosion from a bad earth over time..........In the long term, I'm predicting less major issues for the BOSS.

When brand new, all cars are great.............give it 5 - 10 years and it'll be very interesting.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:28 PM   #49
bonspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon you guys shouldn't believe everything you read. Just because its in wheels or motor or whatever it dosen't make it true.
bonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:43 PM   #50
falzoony
Rockin '67

geez the VE would want to be better, the typhoons been out since 2002. And the funny thing is it isnt(well im very bias towards ford).

'67 XR Wagon
falzoony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:33 AM   #51
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by falzoony
geez the VE would want to be better, the typhoons been out since 2002. And the funny thing is it isnt(well im very bias towards ford).
Kindof. The BA has been out since 2002, but the Typhoon wasn't released until mid BAII in 2004.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:42 AM   #52
DirtyHarry
Do you feel lucky?

Quote:
WTF????????????????
DirtyHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:15 AM   #53
falzoony
Rockin '67

Quote:
Kindof. The BA has been out since 2002, but the Typhoon wasn't released until mid BAII in 2004.
shows what I know

'67 XR Wagon
falzoony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:51 AM   #54
BAxtER
ive been 4490'd

i've always wondered in the next falcon (orion) would ford go along the lines of scrapping the single cam 5.4 v8 and by doing so, inserting the DOHC 5.4 a fairmont ghia v8, and say make another falcon based car with that v8 in it (similar to what holden did with sv8 a few years back) and then chucks a quad cam 5.4 in the xr8 with 300kws and a GT,GTP with the same quad came engine but just with a 320kw tuned engine and the turbos can find a place in between all that.
i know it looks like im might be being silly and it may not be viable for ford for having a luxury model with the 5.4 dohc thats why i added another car that could take that engine on aswell.
but if we are going to make a fight with holden and ve series 2, this might be a track ford might be able to do, can anyone tell me if it would be possible for ford to achieve something like this or would they not be bothered cause of cost??
www.taipanmotorsport.com.au
BAxtER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:24 AM   #55
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

LOL, wheels and motor are biased, in comparison to the completely impartial and factual evidence you get on here. lol, you guys crack me up.

-Mathematicians have found that due to the excessive amount of women Chuck Norris has slept with, it is guaranteed that he appears in your family tree a minimum of three times

-Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He waits.

-Chuck Norris once worked as a weatherman for the San Diego evening news. Every night he would make the same forecast: Partly Cloudy with a 75% chance of Pain.
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:02 PM   #56
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All these cars have a fly **** of difference in times. It depends on the driver, the gearbox, and the conditions. If you wanted a ball tearing car you wouldn't be buying a 1700kg+ lump of metal to start with.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:38 PM   #57
zman
Starter Motor

Quote:
The report is quite factual, the GT is doughy, it is the top of the range and gets stomped by a turbo 6 of the same make and that same turbo 6 gets stomped by the GTS beacuse it has 307kw@ 6000rpm and 550nm @ 4400rpm

It has more power and a wider power band so of corse it has the edge

the typhoon is not on par with the new 6 litre holdens but hey, the typhoon is old and boring now. wait untill orion

Mate before you make statements like that I'd suggest you test drive an F6 first.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:47 PM   #58
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman
Mate before you make statements like that I'd suggest you test drive an F6 first.
Maybe should also read article too, it does state the Typhoon is quicker in rolling acceleration.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:15 PM   #59
zman
Starter Motor

Quote:
Maybe should also read article too, it does state the Typhoon is quicker in rolling acceleration.
I think the F6 is the best Bang for Buck Car out there.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:04 PM   #60
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
A gear box converts power into torque in low gears and as you change up each gear you gain more power and less torque.

So what I am saying is that the HSV has more power to convert into torque then a typhoon does, Torque and power figures for an engine both play a role in a cars acceleration time

sorry if it still sounds confusing

This is a good link i found that explains how it all works

http://craig.backfire.ca/pages/autos/horsepower
We have a rocket scientist here. Power= Torque x RPM, so basically power is a by product of torque and revs.

As for the Wheels story, I thought it was pretty poor. Sure the GTS was always going to win but some of the reasoning was shocking. Saying the interior of the Typhoon is uncomfortable because you sit up a bit higher than the GTS is just dumb. :
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote