Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-09-2005, 09:21 PM   #31
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Not just V8's for sale, i bought a turbo diesel Hilux today, there were no less than 3 petrol driven Landcruiser owners at the dealership looking to trade on a diesel or a smaller 4 cylinder car, the market for them is collapsing and the trade in offers reflect it, 01 model Landcruiser with 70,000klm imac condition petrol, $60,000 plus new, trade in offered was $23,000
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2005, 09:25 PM   #32
Dodge
i like to be stroked

in 1978 ford gave my mum a cobra for her reps car, she worked for wynns and looked after all the big ford dealerships in sydney, after a few weeks of struggling to fit things in the boot she traded it for a new XC 5.8 wagon, both of the cars were 351's and both ford couldnt give away because of the gas strikes.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:53 PM   #33
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedriver
Yep its going to be great how this is affecting some ppl, I can't wait for my next upgrade, a very low k Mk11 GT/gtp will be mine.....dealers will be throwing them away.
I wouldn't bet on it.People that buy GTs arn't concerned about the price of fuel
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter

Last edited by GTP 320; 10-09-2005 at 10:00 PM.
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2005, 10:03 PM   #34
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I think its funny when people say I can't afford to run my big car anymore because of the petrol prices and then they go out and spend tens of thousands of dollars on a new small car so they can save 20 bucks a week on petrol. I wonder if some people even realise that.
I'm worried that when I go to sell my XR8 in the next 6 months i'm going to find it impossible to find a buyer, or i'll get all for it as no one wants V8's anymore.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2005, 10:11 PM   #35
turboute
turboute

some V8's at WA Auto Auctions today
03 VY SS - passed in at 25,750
00 statesman - 26k
(the best buy) 03 Landcruiser 100 series 4.7L V8 - 36.500
There were a couple of others but they all had under 100,000 km's and looked to be in good condition.
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2005, 10:24 PM   #36
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Yeah will i dont think its at a crisis point just yet....most people that buy new cars can afford to run it so its usually not an issue.

I own an I6 and im feeling it aswell...im even looking into a 4 pot untill I finish uni...unless I find a nice V8 on Gas of course :thebirds:
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 10-09-2005 at 10:38 PM. Reason: because mods dont take critisim of themselves very well
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2005, 10:36 PM   #37
RegSpec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My wife and I have been looking for a low km.Mk 11 BA XR8 6spd. for about 2mths now. Were not in a big rush so we can afford to wait for the right colour and option combination,or pretty close to it, to come along.
When I asked her the other day whether we should still be buying a near new
V8 with the current rising cost of fuel, she said " At the moment we can afford to do it, in 10 years time we might not be in a position to do it , so why not have it now?
Yep, that made sense, so we'll keep looking.
Meanwhile, the prices keep dropping :
RegSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2005, 10:39 PM   #38
shane3
FPV GT 0915

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I think its funny when people say I can't afford to run my big car anymore because of the petrol prices and then they go out and spend tens of thousands of dollars on a new small car so they can save 20 bucks a week on petrol. I wonder if some people even realise that.
I'm worried that when I go to sell my XR8 in the next 6 months i'm going to find it impossible to find a buyer, or i'll get all for it as no one wants V8's anymore.
Even at $3.00 per litre I will still drive my GT! These people that complain about the price of fuel be it LPG or PULP will think nothing of buying a slab of beer $30 and a carton of smokes $60 on a Friday night?
Me I don't smoke, and a bottle of Jim bean small batch will last me a month $42, so more money for petrol and having fun on the road!
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2005, 10:44 PM   #39
Philbie
Drvtme

Shane3 - i'm with you - My lungs are fine, and my head is clear, but the rumble remains.

What on earth is going on!........i’m Back in the ford camp.....#2019
Philbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2005, 10:51 PM   #40
shane3
FPV GT 0915

A guy that I work with was telling me that on a weekend he drinks 1 1/2 slabs of cascade I think they are $45 a slab? And he smokes like a chimney, a carton a week.
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2005, 11:59 PM   #41
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some people have different pleasures in life, horses for courses.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:10 AM   #42
One Drone
Lane HO

Exactly davocol. We all have different wants/needs.. Petrol is just another expense in the budget. It all depends on how well you can balance that..
One Drone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2005, 02:26 AM   #43
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

Just keep telling myself I'm well off & I'll be fine.
Definitely noticed more 5.0L fords for sale, especially Fairlanes in S.A (NC, NF mostly)
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2005, 05:32 AM   #44
82falcon

I just picked up a zj fairlane on friday, 351, toploader, 17's, all in all pretty decent for $1500. It was originally $2000 but the day after i looked at it he offered it to me for 1500. Few other 8's for sale at prices i thought were pretty decent.
But as its been said before, still fine when considering the cost:fun ratio.
82falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2005, 08:30 AM   #45
BOON250

Latest price in Auck for BP Ultimate is 1.67 litre

BOON250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2005, 08:33 AM   #46
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Way to get up them, John (EF Falcon)! lol

Anyway, yes the amount of 4WDs and 8s I've seen for sale is quickly increasing. I normally don't see that many cars around on the side of the road up here for sale but there have been enough that I have noticed. Even 6s are being sold off.

I am also noticing that when I am parked in a carpark, people are starting to notice my little red diamond on the number plate. I had one guy come up and ask me about the differences in fuel consumption and how much it cost to convert.

Hmmmmm, interesting times ahead. Casper, that crystal ball of yours... is it in good working order? May need to borrow it off you soon : :

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2005, 09:18 AM   #47
Dodge
i like to be stroked

my cobra jet drinks more than a pollotition and a fund raiser, u dont own these cars to worry about running cost specially when they go up in value like they did.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:40 AM   #48
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Seen it all before and people are recating exactly as you would expect.

No matter what you drive the cost out of your weekly expenses is going up and noticeably.

In the 70's when this happened you couldn't give away a V8 and a lot of sixes got traded. Remember the 4cyl VB commodore! a four cyl 202 or something! WTF!

I was the same when my 4 barrel 2 door VG pacer went up in flames (not insured by the way too modded for them) I didn't cry at all. I just got a bigger faster motorbike for fun and an old GT cortina to drive around in.

Generally most people do more dough on the buying and selling and depreciation than they ever do on the fuel cost rises. Its like LPG the payback is too long unless you do taxi miles and once everyone converted the tax regime would change to milk that too.

I give 10 years and we all forced to drive Prius'
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2005, 09:45 AM   #49
Dodge
i like to be stroked

its the market correction, just like real estate and rates, notice how the gov and companies have a 3% cpi yearly , well petrol , cars and some other things dont get the cpi so when they have to up the price it goes up big time and we all cry about it then they bring it down a notch and we are happy, meanwhile i have to charge customers more for my services ect and it becomes all part of the living cost of today, rich get richer and the bums get left behind
Old 11-09-2005, 09:54 AM   #50
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
In the 70's when this happened you couldn't give away a V8 and a lot of sixes got traded. Remember the 4cyl VB commodore! a four cyl 202 or something! WTF!
It was the (now) infamous 1.9 litre version of the Starfire four - originally designed for the Camira and used in a couple of Toyota models in the badge engineering days it was a misguided answer to a question no one was asking.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2005, 10:09 AM   #51
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
It was the (now) infamous 1.9 litre version of the Starfire four - originally designed for the Camira and used in a couple of Toyota models in the badge engineering days it was a misguided answer to a question no one was asking.

Russ
I had the misfortune of driving one of them once.... the magazines that bagged the hell out of them were being restrained... horrible things.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2005, 10:29 AM   #52
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When petrol was $1.15 a litre (not long ago) the cost to do 1 years driving (for example 15,000kms) in a V8 (with lets say a fuel consuption of 15L/100kms) was $2587 per year. Now at $1.50 a litre it is $3375 per year and if it got to $2 litre then it would be $4,500 per year in fuel.

So $1.15 = $2,587
$1.50 = $3,375, jump of $788
$2.00 = $4,500, jump of $1900

Point is at present rate of $1.50 a litre $788 a year is not a huge amount to be panicking over, when it gets to $1900 a year it is a concern but lets put it in perspective.

Guys buy a V8 as they are an enthusiast, enjoy driving want to enjoy something in their life. They will happily spend bottomless amounts of money on modding the buggery out of it. These same guys now panick about petrol and sell their V8's - WHY? $788...is the cost of a cat-back exhaust - you can go without that this year....$1900 is the cost of a full stainless system on a GT or a set of mag wheels. Cut back on the mods and keep the V8, its better than the alternative...no V8 at all.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2005, 10:35 AM   #53
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
When petrol was $1.15 a litre (not long ago) the cost to do 1 years driving (for example 15,000kms) in a V8 (with lets say a fuel consuption of 15L/100kms) was $2587 per year. Now at $1.50 a litre it is $3375 per year and if it got to $2 litre then it would be $4,500 per year in fuel.

So $1.15 = $2,587
$1.50 = $3,375, jump of $788
$2.00 = $4,500, jump of $1900

Point is at present rate of $1.50 a litre $788 a year is not a huge amount to be panicking over, when it gets to $1900 a year it is a concern but lets put it in perspective.

Guys buy a V8 as they are an enthusiast, enjoy driving want to enjoy something in their life. They will happily spend bottomless amounts of money on modding the buggery out of it. These same guys now panick about petrol and sell their V8's - WHY? $788...is the cost of a cat-back exhaust - you can go without that this year....$1900 is the cost of a full stainless system on a GT or a set of mag wheels. Cut back on the mods and keep the V8, its better than the alternative...no V8 at all.
exactly mate, well said
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2005, 11:34 AM   #54
cogdoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All I can suggest is www.simplybudgets.com Best $80 I ever spent. Can't recommend it highly enough. So quick and easy even Gammaboy could work it. It amazes me that my local bank manager tell me I am THE only person with a budgeting plan like this out of all the people he sees. Probably why I rarely stress about money anymore, and it's not like I am loaded. I just know what is comming, what I can spend, and the consequences over the next week, month, year. Makes fuel bills totally workable. Also makes seeing the bank a breeze. Also THE main reason I could justify a GT, that in itself is just so worth it.

Happy to talk to anyone about this, and I am in no way connected with the program, just a very very happy customer!
Old 11-09-2005, 04:08 PM   #55
YOOT
Banned

I just filled up the XR6 T Ute with $96 worth of unleaded, fortunately I have a XT sport company car so if I feel the need to drive a Falcon I just take that. A shame it doesn't have 400HP though...
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2005, 04:09 PM   #56
YOOT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogdoc
All I can suggest is www.simplybudgets.com Best $80 I ever spent. Can't recommend it highly enough. So quick and easy even Gammaboy could work it. It amazes me that my local bank manager tell me I am THE only person with a budgeting plan like this out of all the people he sees. Probably why I rarely stress about money anymore, and it's not like I am loaded. I just know what is comming, what I can spend, and the consequences over the next week, month, year. Makes fuel bills totally workable. Also makes seeing the bank a breeze. Also THE main reason I could justify a GT, that in itself is just so worth it.

Happy to talk to anyone about this, and I am in no way connected with the program, just a very very happy customer!
What a rip off! Who doesn't know how to budget. You only get so much money, you take out the bills and what is left is either for saving or spending. I think I might start charging people $80 to tell them what they already know. Hahaha.
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2005, 05:55 PM   #57
Dodge
i like to be stroked

i bought a jerry can $ 30 which i plan to save @ $ 60 / week until i chock on a mouth full of gas,, kiddn I think spending 300 a night to sleep in a bed in a hotel 1 hr away from home is silly but cruzn with 500 hp is not
Old 11-09-2005, 06:34 PM   #58
cogdoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOOT
What a rip off! Who doesn't know how to budget. You only get so much money, you take out the bills and what is left is either for saving or spending. I think I might start charging people $80 to tell them what they already know. Hahaha.
Glad it is working out for you living week to week.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:07 PM   #59
*rayman*
454 Power

ok dodge, i'm curious... what is it that you're driving nowdays thats making 500hp? We all know you sold the cobrajet... Surely the hilux you were taking about doesnt pump out 500 big ones?

So what is it?

TOY - 68 SS 454 Camaro
*rayman* is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2005, 02:01 PM   #60
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by *rayman*
ok dodge, i'm curious... what is it that you're driving nowdays thats making 500hp? We all know you sold the cobrajet... Surely the hilux you were taking about doesnt pump out 500 big ones?

So what is it?
Its not a Hilux, its a Triton! everyone knows they're infinitly more powerfull :P

Cmon Dodge! Fess up! have you got that XB running? or is it the XY yoot?