Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-02-2015, 01:39 PM   #31
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 
Default Re: How to stop Callum's fb rip offs

If you post things online there is not much you can do.

I post some pictures online and on Facebook under a page I manage and I regularly see them getting pinched and put on other facebook pages and that Survivor Car Magazine .....

No point getting flustered. You don't like don't post or just watermark them!
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2015, 05:57 PM   #32
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBv8mmm! View Post
No problem with the pic being there, if he had done the right thing and asked.
The issue is the lack of manners and actually asking for permission to use my photos.

If you can't see the problem then i feel sorry for you.
It doesn't take a lot of effort to show some respect and ask permission to use someone's photo.

Sorry mate if you want permission it is not going to happen, if you post up on the internet then it is posted for all to do what they like with your images unless you have it copyright protection, be honest with yourself how many pictures have you downloaded off the net with out permission.

If you do not want others to copy your images then don't post them.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2015, 06:09 PM   #33
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Callum is just the modern day version of Tony Martin isn't he?
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2015, 10:53 PM   #34
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

I think some people have missed the point.

Sure, you might feel comfortable sharing your photos within this community of registered enthusiasts (remember, the show & shine section is a private forum) with the reasonable expectation that those photos might find themselves shared elsewhere.

In Callum's case, it's not someone taking the photo to use as their avatar. Or share via their instagram feed. Or show to their friends. Instead, he is publishing them on a public Facebook page with a fanbase of ~45,000 people. That's a pretty big deal and it's mighty rude not to inform the owner. He didn't even blur the rego plates. I couldn't give a rats if someone thinks it doesn't matter- it's up to the owner and they weren't given a choice. We know who Callum is, we've asked him to stop, he continues to ignore us. It's as simple as that. It's not about the sharing of photos in general.

Also appreciate that Callum has benefited personally from the facebook page- he's been invited to private Ford Australia events, met execs, received freebies (anyone remember the FGX XR8 badges he was flashing around the forum pre-launch?). The majority of the material on his page has been ripped straight from this forum. As OP has stated, it's as simple as asking permission or at the very least giving credit.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2015, 11:09 PM   #35
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh jeez sorry, I didn't realise.

I guess the cease and desist letter is probably warranted. Has anyone gone to the police about this? ACA should probably do an expose. I'm sure 60 minutes could expose him and raise awareness so others ain't forced to endure the pain and suffering inflicted by this monster.

Why didn't anyone say he got a free XR8 badge....bloody tyrant I say.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2015, 11:50 PM   #36
FPV414
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here here Adrenaline. I don't mind if I have my pictures shared. Just not by Callum ;) A grade bell end.
FPV414 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2015, 12:06 AM   #37
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If nothing else , he might flog a picture of it but you're the one who gets to drive it mate. I know which of those seats I'd rather be in
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-02-2015, 12:16 AM   #38
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Then dudes suggesting to send a cease and desist letter
You obviously don't know the finer points of copyright law. The person who took the photo owns the photo, other than some sort of agreement in writing to the contrary. The copyright owner has the exclusive right to post it elsewhere if he so chooses at his sole discretion. Anyone else who does that is infringing copyright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Sorry mate if you want permission it is not going to happen, if you post up on the internet then it is posted for all to do what they like with your images unless you have it copyright protection, be honest with yourself how many pictures have you downloaded off the net with out permission.

If you do not want others to copy your images then don't post them.
Copyright protection is automatic. You don't have to "have it copyright protection" [sic].

Just because someone has posted their image on the internet doesn't mean it's posted "for all to do what they like". That's a load of nonsense.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2015, 01:02 AM   #39
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

This is one of the sadder threads I have read in a long time.

FWIW I agree with Stefan so I won't bother posting anything more.....build a bridge...
Old 28-02-2015, 09:14 AM   #40
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
You obviously don't know the finer points of copyright law. The person who took the photo owns the photo, other than some sort of agreement in writing to the contrary. The copyright owner has the exclusive right to post it elsewhere if he so chooses at his sole discretion. Anyone else who does that is infringing copyright.
The finer points of copyright law? How about just sticking to the basics first.

The OP does not make money from the image posted on FB, he probably posted the image himself elsewhere for free with no intention of being compensated for doing so.

Copyright law is designed to protect the author so the author can be compensated for their work. Copyright law is enforced through civil action.

Given there are no losses and the image has been posted on the net and freely available to anyone by the OP himself I doubt copyright applies. But lets assume copyright does apply, given that it is enforced through civil action the op has to sue Callum for hurting his feelings.
4 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2015, 09:57 AM   #41
marty351
Shenanigans..............

I wonder if you can copyright farts?
marty351 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2015, 10:00 AM   #42
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your photos so if they are being ripped off without your permission then a polite cease and desist should be sufficient.
Don't expect much support as the illegal use of images and copyright material is endemic through out the community.
http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/c...online-images/
Old 28-02-2015, 11:41 AM   #43
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL View Post
Callum is just the modern day version of Tony Martin isn't he?
What do you mean by that?
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2015, 12:17 PM   #44
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Copyright protection is automatic. You don't have to "have it copyright protection" [sic].

Just because someone has posted their image on the internet doesn't mean it's posted "for all to do what they like". That's a load of nonsense.
Doesn't Facebook own every photo anyway?
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2015, 12:54 PM   #45
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_XR View Post
Doesn't Facebook own every photo anyway?
No that is not correct. If it is your photo posted on Facebook you are still the legal owner.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2015, 12:57 PM   #46
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
No that is not correct. If it is your photo posted on Facebook you are still the legal owner.
But, by posting it on FB you give them permission to do what they like with it.
Old 28-02-2015, 01:23 PM   #47
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Photos of my XR8 appeared on this facebook site a couple of weeks ago. I'm in no way into facebook but have followed this page as part of the FGX build up.

I fully understand that photo I have posted on the internet (here on Ford Forums) are likely to appear elsewhere, but was a little miffed to find them on that facebook page without being asked first, especially considering that Callum is a forum member.

I suppose his age means he doesn't yet fully grasp that a persons actions can affect others in negative ways, as shown by his lack of courtesy to where he gains content for his page.

I gave him a certain benefit of the doubt until he launched a tirade of Ford because they are not advertising the Falcon on TV.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2015, 02:37 PM   #48
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
But, by posting it on FB you give them permission to do what they like with it.
No you still have control over the information put on Facebook; they would be unable to use it without your permission if you are the owner of the photo.

People think that Facebook own the rights due to the thousands of post that happen when Facebook changes their privacy policy.

But at the end of the day, the same laws apply to pictures posted on Facebook to pictures posted on this forum. Facebook is not above the law.

Due to it being impossible to police, people rip off each other pictures all the time.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2015, 03:28 PM   #49
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
The finer points of copyright law? How about just sticking to the basics first.

The OP does not make money from the image posted on FB, he probably posted the image himself elsewhere for free with no intention of being compensated for doing so.

Copyright law is designed to protect the author so the author can be compensated for their work. Copyright law is enforced through civil action.

Given there are no losses and the image has been posted on the net and freely available to anyone by the OP himself I doubt copyright applies. But lets assume copyright does apply, given that it is enforced through civil action the op has to sue Callum for hurting his feelings.
Actually, copyright law is supposed to protect intellectual property. Money is incidental.
Old 28-02-2015, 04:01 PM   #50
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No you still have control over the information put on Facebook; they would be unable to use it without your permission if you are the owner of the photo.

People think that Facebook own the rights due to the thousands of post that happen when Facebook changes their privacy policy.

But at the end of the day, the same laws apply to pictures posted on Facebook to pictures posted on this forum. Facebook is not above the law.

Due to it being impossible to police, people rip off each other pictures all the time.
Oh I thought there was something in the fine print that no one read, you don't get as big as Facebook by playing by the rules.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2015, 07:02 PM   #51
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:

In effect if you don't tell FB via you're settings they do what they like.

From FB terms of service.............

Sharing Your Content and Information

You own all of the content and information you post on Facebook, and you can control how it is shared through your privacy and application settings. In addition:
For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings:
you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License).
Old 28-02-2015, 08:41 PM   #52
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I think some people have missed the point.

Sure, you might feel comfortable sharing your photos within this community of registered enthusiasts (remember, the show & shine section is a private forum) with the reasonable expectation that those photos might find themselves shared elsewhere.

In Callum's case, it's not someone taking the photo to use as their avatar. Or share via their instagram feed. Or show to their friends. Instead, he is publishing them on a public Facebook page with a fanbase of ~45,000 people. That's a pretty big deal and it's mighty rude not to inform the owner. He didn't even blur the rego plates. I couldn't give a rats if someone thinks it doesn't matter- it's up to the owner and they weren't given a choice. We know who Callum is, we've asked him to stop, he continues to ignore us. It's as simple as that. It's not about the sharing of photos in general.

Also appreciate that Callum has benefited personally from the facebook page- he's been invited to private Ford Australia events, met execs, received freebies (anyone remember the FGX XR8 badges he was flashing around the forum pre-launch?). The majority of the material on his page has been ripped straight from this forum. As OP has stated, it's as simple as asking permission or at the very least giving credit.
Well if you all know about him using photos without permission then why has no one reported him to F.B. to have photos removed or is it because F.B. does not care or cannot do anything about it?
Old 28-02-2015, 11:23 PM   #53
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Well if you all know about him using photos without permission then why has no one reported him to F.B. to have photos removed or is it because F.B. does not care or cannot do anything about it?
He's been reported a few times, FB usually takes the stuff down. Although I don't think it should come to that- obviously he takes the time to log in here and grab the photos, it wouldn't take much to shoot a quick PM to the member(s) he's taking them from. If he absolutely cannot do that, then something as simple as "Credit to [username] from Fordforums.com.au" might see a lot less frowning faces over the matter.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2015, 12:36 AM   #54
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have those complaining about use of their photos ever downloaded films or music, knowingly used non original software, ever bought a knock of watch, clothing, furniture or hung a print of a famous painting on their wall, modded their xbox to play pirated games?
Im pro copyright and intellectual property rights, as I sell, ideas ans knowledge, day to day. So If your going to play the ethical-use-of-copyright-game make sure your squeeky clean, as people in glass houses shouldnt, hmm can I finish this quote without correct and complete attribution?

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2015, 12:41 AM   #55
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
Have those complaining about use of their photos ever downloaded films or music, knowingly used non original software, ever bought a knock of watch, clothing, furniture or hung a print of a famous painting on their wall, modded their xbox to play pirated games?
Im pro copyright and intellectual property rights, as I sell, ideas ans knowledge, day to day. So If your going to play the ethical-use-of-copyright-game make sure your squeeky clean, as people in glass houses shouldnt, hmm can I finish this quote without correct and complete attribution?

JP
The OP was not talking copyright, he was simply saying that if anyone uses an image that he took of his car............. asking, or at least crediting the owner, would be nice.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:32 AM   #56
Itsme
Experienced Member

Well going by Adrenaline posts Callum is obviously not listening nor does he care, nothing else can be done other than reporting him to F.B. when he post up others ppl photos.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:47 AM   #57
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2015, 03:35 AM   #58
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The finer points of copyright law? How about just sticking to the basics first.The OP does not make money from the image posted on FB, he probably posted the image himself elsewhere for free with no intention of being compensated for doing so.

Wrong. How much money is made from the photo is irrelevant. The fact is that copyright has been infringed and the copyright owner will be well within his rights to seek legal redress, irrespective of how much money the copyright owner makes from the photo, or how much money the infringer made from the photo. They can sue for damages and for legal costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post

JP
I only ever buy CDs and DVDs. I only ever buy original copies of software, and I never, ever buy counterfeit items, no matter how much cheaper it may be.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2015, 09:31 AM   #59
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Wrong. How much money is made from the photo is irrelevant. The fact is that copyright has been infringed and the copyright owner will be well within his rights to seek legal redress, irrespective of how much money the copyright owner makes from the photo, or how much money the infringer made from the photo. They can sue for damages and for legal costs.
Yeah OK...what damages are you proposing to sue for?

Lets sue someone for posting a photo on fb that I already posted on fb too..

Good luck in your legal career

Last edited by Stefan; 01-03-2015 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:08 AM   #60
Deo

Pls delete my last post - I was ninja'd but now I can't edit!

Sent from my GTi-9305 using bloody Tapatalk
MC Ink Blue Diesel Hatch
Deo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post