Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Would you consider a Falcon XR 2.0L Ecoboost?
Yes 90 51.43%
No 85 48.57%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #31
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Would you consider a Falcon XR 2.0L Ecoboost?

If I was in the market for a non performance large car (ie XR6, SV6) i'd consider it, but i'm not and won't be.

Currently have an FG XR8 and I don't really know what I will replace it with, the idea of an AWD V6T Taurus/Falcon is quite appealing or a V8 /V6TMustang should it become available in Aus at an XR8/GS price.

FalcNut, saying Ford (not FOA) have had the I6 for 90 years doesn't mean they have exhausted it, the Model T used an I4 and Ford are still tinkering with it today for instance.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #32
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One would have to spend a ton of money of EcoBoost mods to match the power levels of a stock I6T ... I don't really think there will be mods market for that car ... maybe just ECU tunes at best.
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #33
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why do people assume that if you put the 2.0EB engine in an XR body that everyone is going to try and modify them to have as much power as an XR6T?

Maybe people prefer the look of the XR over the butt ugly looking XT and would prefer to having the option of choosing a modern fuel efficient engine?
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #34
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
One would have to spend a ton of money of EcoBoost mods to match the power levels of a stock I6T ... I don't really think there will be mods market for that car ... maybe just ECU tunes at best.
I highly doubt anyone with a EB4 will think they will come close to a 6T's performance by modding it. To me, it's in a different league. I would say the EB4 crew will be trying to compete with the likes of xr5 owners, and other 4 cyl turbo peeps out there.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2012, 02:33 PM   #35
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtRmn8
Why do people assume that if you put the 2.0EB engine in an XR body that everyone is going to try and modify them to have as much power as an XR6T?

Maybe people prefer the look of the XR over the butt ugly looking XT and would prefer to having the option of choosing a modern fuel efficient engine?

I reckon theres a good argument to bring back the Falcon S in EB4 & I6 form, with a few cosmetic upgrades, and reserve the XR badge for something that actually has some additional performance. Not the first time this idea has been floated I'm sure.

But then, the XR brand has been diluted so much over the last 10 years or so, (half the taxis in Melbourne are XR6's) it probably doesn't matter...
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #36
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Like someone already said on page 1.

Gone are the Days when Tickford would take care of the higher end cars. Nowa says everything needs to be badged with a body kit aswel.

Does the new 2.0L have room to be on the stage with the current XR series? NO. At times I even struggle justifying NA XR6's to this list much less a 2.0L. This is merely my opinion and dont get all hung up on it.

But think about it for a moment, why is Ford making this for? What is there objective? Now putting these things together, I seriously doubt the XR badge has a place on this considering stereotypically the market it is trying to seek.
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #37
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The V6 Ecoboost should go like the clappers.

Alot of yanks have already done some pretty cool stuff with them, just look at the performance garages.
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #38
turboxf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t
Pretty simple, would you?

I would.

I am asking because currently it is not available.
What extras will it have if it is made??? & will it add weight????
If it does why not go for a bigger 2 lt just for the XR models
turboxf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #39
Cobramad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fact remains, people cannot help themselves and love to tinker and modify their rides, from Daewoos to FPV's, so once the EB4's get out there, modification is inevitable. Even the most financially constrained enthusiast wants, no NEEDS, to make his vehicle better, faster nicer etc etc so no matter what Falcon it happens to be, its gonna get modded.
Great thing is almost all of the parts we use to mod our rides will apply equally to the EB4 eg suspension, wheels, brakes, audio..etc
Whilst they may not be chosen initally as a "performance vehicle" per se, they will certainly end up one, in all probability purchased as a 2 or 3 yo vehicle ex-lease or ex-fleet.
Cobramad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #40
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconnut

He was right, next to no one is going to do mods to the Ecoboost 4, it totally defeats the purpose it was designed for, and it will be limited by its injectors anyway, as AFAIK direct injectors can't be upsized, so will limit power gains to maybe another 10-20%. Someone can correct me if that's incorrect.

A tune and exhaust will probably push it to that. They also run very high compression for a turbo engine so that will probably limit how much extra boost they can cop too. A WRX it is not. It will also have the lower torque rated HP21 ZF thats only rated to 450nm too. And it will use the smaller M78 non LSD diff, not the bigger stronger M86 in the turbos and V8's.

WOFTAM to modify it outside of a tune, and maybe an exhaust if you like your cars to sound like a droney fart like inline 4's with exhausts do.

I'm happy they haven't sullied the XR6 badge any further than what they already have by sticking a 4 potter in it. Having a standard 6 in it is bad enough, even though they are still pretty quick.

Last edited by Auslandau; 02-02-2012 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Quoting deleted post
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #41
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboxf
What extras will it have if it is made??? & will it add weight????
If it does why not go for a bigger 2 lt just for the XR models
I believe it would be lighter than an XR with the I6 in it. No extras, basically an XR6 with a different engine.

I am asking for this engine in an XR because I believe it won't just be fleet customers looking at this engine and retail buyers don't buy XT's!

find me on instagram @adm.history for daily automotive historical Australian advertisements.
barra240t is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #42
Cobramad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
He was right, next to no one is going to do mods to the Ecoboost 4, it totally defeats the purpose it was designed for, and it will be limited by its injectors anyway, as AFAIK direct injectors can't be upsized, so will limit power gains to maybe another 10-20%. Someone can correct me if that's incorrect.

A tune and exhaust will probably push it to that. They also run very high compression for a turbo engine so that will probably limit how much extra boost they can cop too. A WRX it is not. It will also have the lower torque rated HP21 ZF thats only rated to 450nm too. And it will use the smaller M78 non LSD diff, not the bigger stronger M86 in the turbos and V8's.

WOFTAM to modify it outside of a tune, and maybe an exhaust if you like your cars to sound like a droney fart like inline 4's with exhausts do.

I'm happy they haven't sullied the XR6 badge any further than what they already have by sticking a 4 potter in it. Having a standard 6 in it is bad enough, even though they are still pretty quick.

Just wait and see, because someone will make you eat your words. Each persons ride may well be the best car in the world, for them.!
How long before an EB4 goes 12's..? Less than 18mths is my prediction. I do hope for your sake that Im wrong.
Remember, tuning aside, there are a lot of Falc bits that will bolt in to help those who are crazy and keen enough, get an EB4 honking! Many different ways to skin a cat.
Love to see a vehicle, touted as an economical I6 alternative, run hard with some mods. Much easier to get performance increases with force inducted engines than N/A
Apologies for shifting off topic.
Cobramad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #43
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well what would be wrong with the V6 Eco?
Old 02-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #44
Venomous1
5.0 means business

What I would like to see is a manual version option in XT.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #45
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You could always swap a manual trans in couldnt you?
Old 02-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #46
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobramad
Just wait and see, because someone will make you eat your words. Each persons ride may well be the best car in the world, for them.!
How long before an EB4 goes 12's..? Less than 18mths is my prediction. I do hope for your sake that Im wrong.
Remember, tuning aside, there are a lot of Falc bits that will bolt in to help those who are crazy and keen enough, get an EB4 honking! Many different ways to skin a cat.
Love to see a vehicle, touted as an economical I6 alternative, run hard with some mods. Much easier to get performance increases with force inducted engines than N/A
Apologies for shifting off topic.
I'm not saying someone won't have a crack at it, but it will be very rare for someone to go to those lengths with it.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #47
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous1
What I would like to see is a manual version option in XT.
Yeah, it could add another 50 or sales a year, would be well worth it.

It will have worse fuel economy than the auto based on all the other Falcons in the range that use more as manuals than autos. So once again would defeat the purpose.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #48
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconnut
Well what would be wrong with the V6 Eco?
It makes less power than XR Turbo, significantly less torque, and there is nothing even close to what the F6 can do, not in standard form anyway.

Plus it doesn't fit under the Falcons bonnet, which is why when the Falcon was to go V6 there was not going to be a turbo Ecoboost version.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #49
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

A few points...

-The 'XR' stuff is already there, so it wouldn't be that hard to do a XR4 thats cost effective..

-The ecoboost is aimed at fleets, but...that doesn't rule out XR4 as a fleet option

-A XR4 with FPV brakes and suspention would be ace...provided the power was up...

-No point trying to call it something else, it will confuse the line up.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #50
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I find it sort of weird that some people think a 4 cylinder XR is such a bad idea when you already find a dedicated LPG engine in a "sports" car at the moment. XR is the new retail base model and has been for quite some time.

find me on instagram @adm.history for daily automotive historical Australian advertisements.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #51
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I find it sort of weird that some people think a 4 cylinder XR is such a bad idea when you already find a dedicated LPG engine in a "sports" car at the moment. XR is the new retail base model and has been for quite some time.
I dont get it either, private buyers prefer the XR, so give them what they want.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #52
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
I dont get it either, private buyers prefer the XR, so give them what they want.
and you know they want a 4cyl because......

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtRmn8
Maybe people prefer the look of the XR over the butt ugly looking XT
i don't think the ugly duckling tag fits anymore with FG2. XT is one of the biggest improvers in the looks department in my opinion.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 10:47 AM   #53
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
and you know they want a 4cyl because......

Look at the top 10 cars for sale for goodness sake

honestly Ford could decide to run over some member's grandmas and those members would be applauding the decision.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #54
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

honestly Ford could decide to run over some member's grandmas and those members would be applauding the decision.
And Ford could make a carbon fibre and titanium vehicle range that did 400km/h, 0-400 on 2.5 seconds, ran on solar panels and cost $2.50 plus GST and some of our members would complain about it.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #55
prydey
Rob

Quote:
i think you're clutching at straws there. how many of these top 10 cars are large cars with 4cyl's in them?

of the 4cyl cars that are selling, how many are the garden variety and how many are the sport model? i don't see too many corolla sportivos (or whatever they call them now) etc.

i think some members are always 'anti' to any decision ford make. its not like the 4cyl isn't available.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #56
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
And Ford could make a carbon fibre and titanium vehicle range that did 400km/h, 0-400 on 2.5 seconds, ran on solar panels and cost $2.50 plus GST and some of our members would complain about it.
if they made one of those, but offered in a base model with manual gearbox and no extra's, and if it had auto up and down on all windows etc i would buy one tomorrow.

monopoly money is fine isn't it?
Old 03-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #57
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hopefully my wife's next car !
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #58
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i think you're clutching at straws there. how many of these top 10 cars are large cars with 4cyl's in them?

of the 4cyl cars that are selling, how many are the garden variety and how many are the sport model? i don't see too many corolla sportivos (or whatever they call them now) etc.

i think some members are always 'anti' to any decision ford make. its not like the 4cyl isn't available.
The 4cyl isn't available in the most popular Falcon model.

I'm looking at my ecoboost order right now and looking at it wondering what I am going to take, XT- we never sell them (unless it is fleet, once in a blue moon on the Sunshine Coast), G6- only ever sold them in limited edition G6E- not very often at all

Old 03-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #59
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Do you really consider the XR6, especially that on gas, to be a 'sports' car? Its nothing more than a bodykit and some badges - that's it. XR's used to be 'special' - now they're fleet cars more than anything.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #60
prydey
Rob

Quote:
The 4cyl isn't available in the most popular Falcon model.
whats your point? is the most popular falcon going to stop selling because a different engine is available on other models??

its not meant to replace existing 6cyl sales. obviously there will be some overlap.

obviously you are a dealer. not exactly helping the cause their mate with your negativity. do ford really have to convince their own first!!