Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-12-2010, 10:32 AM   #31
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesson1980
No, back in the day, you could order a V8 in a GL/Forte/XT model if you desired one. Now I think the G6ET is the 'replacement' for the V8 Ghia and customers like yourself wanting the luxo V8 cruiser without shelling out a quillion bucks for the GTE will be forced over to the Calais. As said above, the closest you'll get is an XR8 with every interior option shoved in it.

Even though Ford has narrowed it's range for the FG, I assume due to $$ and selling volumes, the difference between a top spec XR8 and a 'G8E' is a different plastic body kit and different suspension, both of which they're fitting to the respective cars. Surely not that much trouble to make a hybrid of the two and might be worth a gamble in limited numbers to steal a few potential Calais buyers back to the blue side.

But it's about as likely as an FG wagon.
The XR8 doesn't exist anymore.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2010, 10:35 AM   #32
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
That doesn't mean it won't in the future.
Old 20-12-2010, 01:27 PM   #33
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I thought it was just rested while they phased out the Boss motors and brought in the Coyote motors.. to be returned with the FG2.. my mistake

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild
jamesson1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2010, 02:23 PM   #34
MexicanBatman
Banned

XR8 deleted and no one cares, a sad sad day LOL

is the XR8 worth the cost of development of a NA V8 considering the cheap price and popularity of the GS?
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2010, 03:26 PM   #35
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesson1980
I thought it was just rested while they phased out the Boss motors and brought in the Coyote motors.. to be returned with the FG2.. my mistake
Nobody knows for certain what is happening. I personally think we wont get Coyote because there is no point in getting a NA version hear for so little sales. The only point I was making before is that its not around at the moment so a specced up XR8 is out of the question. Heres hoping the XR8 nameplate lives on in the future.
Old 20-12-2010, 04:14 PM   #36
WOTDAH
Yes YOU

XR8 is not dead. Just having a sleep.
WOTDAH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2010, 04:39 PM   #37
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
No ,a G6E with a V8.shouldn't be hard to do ????
I'll go you one better. G8ES.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2010, 10:39 PM   #38
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

How bout a G8ETT?

Drool...
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2010, 10:53 PM   #39
sxckevo
Ford motor company

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOTDAH
XR8 is not dead. Just having a sleep.

Your the MAN WOTDAH thats good to hear

WORK CAR: RED 1996 manual XG ute
sxckevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2010, 04:53 AM   #40
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 388cube_edxr8
How bout a G8ETT?

Drool...
FPV tried TT the coyote fr the GT but couldnt as there wasnt enough room.
99AUXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2010, 10:30 AM   #41
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Will FG2 get this !!!!
"The first generation of Ford’s voice-activated car control system, Sync, recognised some 100 commands. The new version, beefed up with tech from voice-recognition company Nuance, recognises over 10,000. Basically your new Ford just became a way better listener.

The new voice recognition comes as part of the new MyFord Touch system, which will be available in the new 2011 Ford Edge. The expanded range of commands, in addition to enhanced voice-recognition capability, should make much easier for drivers to get used to chatting it up with their vehicle. Whereas you used to have to say, “PHONE: DIAL JOHN SMITH” – like you were talking to a robot – the new system lets you just say “Call John Smith”, like you’re talking a person who lives inside your car and just sounds like a robot.

Other new features include things like letting drivers to shout an address, all in one go, as well as offering multiple “aliases” for dictating the same command – “temp up” and “increase temp”, for example, both get you a warmer cockpit.
Old 21-12-2010, 01:16 PM   #42
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

From the new terri article. I know Ford Oz have spoken about the Falcon and Terri mixing their technology more as its cost effective.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2577FF0023FE1E

Quote:
Last week Ford said the 2011 Territory would come with a “heavily updated” interior, which like its exterior should herald next year’s updated FG Series II Falcon cabin and should include circular rather than rectangular air-vents and extra chrome highlights to deliver a more cachet value.

Other new technologies should include bi-Xenon headlights, voice-activated audio controls and, possibly, FoMoCo’s MyFord hard-drive multi-media system.
Old 22-12-2010, 02:54 PM   #43
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=aualright]
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmelon
I think Ford should be seriously considering better model differentiation for the interiors, especially the FPVs. Mates dad came away from the Homebush V8s massively impressed with everything on the new GS/GT/GTE except for the "...it still looks like a taxi" interior.

QUOTE]

I'm thinking that with the entrenched belief that 'it still looks like a taxi', your mate's dad would never buy a Falcon. Pretty sure his povery spec Audi looks just like an RS4 inside, assuming he drives the taxi model A4.

Started with VX SS, moved to 350Z after that lease, then Audi TT 3.2 V6 Quattro. He loves Aussie cars and loves driving our V8s when we see him. It's not an entrenched belief and I was about to refute the claim myself then I actually went and googled the falcon interiors and he's pretty much right- the FPV is so little changed from the XR it's ridiculous. Wow, it has leather seats-great! Everything else is pretty much the same as the XR though...and there are only slight differences between that and the base model ute.

Looking at the HSV compared to the Commodores, there are actual differences in the interior- different vent shapes, a different dash (Not just the same dash with matching oil pressure/voltage/boost gauges added), etc.

I hate to admit it, but he's right.

Another gripe I have- headlining and surrounding plastics which match the rest of the trim- black for black interior, etc. Or at least an option to have it in black or a charcoal or whatever.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2010, 03:08 PM   #44
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aualright
IPretty sure his povery spec Audi looks just like an RS4 inside, assuming he drives the taxi model A4.
...and just on that note- even a poverty spec A3 is considered an 'upmarket' vehicle in the Australian marketplace, despite it not actually being one. This helps to lessen the differentiation required to higher models as it's already perceived as upmarket.

The Falcon, despite Ford (and no doubt our) prayers/hopes/dreams is not considered upmarket- at least in base form and possibly further up the family tree, depending on the person. When someone can choose a Jap or Euro 'upmarket' car for the same price as a high spec Falcon, can you blame them for baulking at the interior when it looks like the poverty pack?

If Ford had sufficiently differentiated the base and upper models 20 years ago, this probably wouldn't be a problem now and there could well be a few more customers willing to take the upmarket Falcon than the lower end of the prestige brands. As it stands, all derivatives have received the 'taxi' reputation and I can now see the justification for it.

Customers' perceptions of value are often more important than actual value...
Old 22-12-2010, 03:28 PM   #45
Windsor220
Now Fordless

It doesnt help that the Falcons interior is quite good to start with.

I havent had a good look at the newer HSVs(series 2 and 3) but the original VE HSVs were very plain jane. The GTS felt the same as an SS. Sounded like one too. But from the sounds of it they have improved the interior. FPV will do the same as they have the engine work out of the way now.
Old 22-12-2010, 03:30 PM   #46
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It doesnt help that the Falcons interior is quite good to start with.

Definately agree with that- better than I was expecting.
Old 22-12-2010, 04:17 PM   #47
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I'd sooner Ford offered a V6 diesel Falcon in G Series than waste time chasing a few hundred XR8 sales.
Time for Ford to start offering engine variations Holden may not have access to..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2010, 04:25 PM   #48
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
I'd sooner Ford offered a V6 diesel Falcon in G Series than waste time chasing a few hundred XR8 sales.
Time for Ford to start offering engine variations Holden may not have access to..

Like it or lump it diesels sell, or at least make the consumer run the numbers on the petrol rather than just assume its thirsty.
Old 22-12-2010, 04:40 PM   #49
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

How about a V8 Diesel? I mean the F series ambulances always sound good. Power, V8 Sound, & Diesel Economy. Doesnt sound bad to me.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2010, 04:43 PM   #50
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Diesel would be a great thing for Falcon, It would help the brands yuppie rating no end!!

a G6E Diesel!! I reckon they would sell a few, especially at dealers like Metro Ford in the valley
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2010, 05:14 PM   #51
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Beast II
How about a V8 Diesel? I mean the F series ambulances always sound good. Power, V8 Sound, & Diesel Economy. Doesnt sound bad to me.
That 7.3L powerstroke we had in the F series wasn't exactly the most fuel efficient engine, the guys on this forum who have them say they can't get them under 17L/100km on highway.

Another reason Vic ditched the F series as ambulances is because of fuel as well.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2010, 10:44 PM   #52
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Dare i say it, i bet my house most people looking at interior will now benchmark FPV's offerings against the XR50th, which is awesome.

When you compare the two, there is no comparison!

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2010, 11:05 PM   #53
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Great, a fuel gobbler AND with excess harmful emissions. IMO the XR8 needs and deserves its place in the lineup as a halo car, even if they don't sell many if they use the n/a motor, they can offset some of the R&D costs by making a G8E which will sell rather well.

But that 2.7TDi in a Falcon with the ZF auto (or even a 6 speed manual??) would be an interesting package...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 12:56 AM   #54
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
But that 2.7TDi in a Falcon with the ZF auto (or even a 6 speed manual??) would be an interesting package...
I wonder why they didn't offer the 3.0TDi. Is there much difference between both engines?

---

There are about 170 Ford cars registered in the YCQ70x-87x (Victoria) rego range of which include those new Territory mules seen in the other threads.

Amongst them are dozens of Falcons with a few V8s. Could any of these be FG2 mules? I guess keep an eye out for FGs in that rego range. They might have some FG2 features (if it will be called an FG2).

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 04:52 PM   #55
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

7.2L! Bugger Me! No I meant a brand new engine block & setup in Diesel. Not the engine from a F truck. A 5L diesel in a Falcon would give good economy, & good power.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 08:44 PM   #56
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
7.2L! Bugger Me! No I meant a brand new engine block & setup in Diesel. Not the engine from a F truck. A 5L diesel in a Falcon would give good economy, & good power.

There was an on again off again 4.4l Diesel being developed in the US for the F150. Howver I think the 2.7 would be more than capable of doing the job.
Old 23-12-2010, 09:28 PM   #57
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
I wonder why they didn't offer the 3.0TDi. Is there much difference between both engines?
I would say price is the reason.

2.7L TD in Land Rover Disco - 140kw and 445Nm
3.0L TTD in Jaguar XF/XJ - 200kw and 600Nm.

The 3.0L would have some go. For comarison a BA XR6 turbo had 240kw and 450Nm.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 09:28 PM   #58
sxckevo
Ford motor company

I'm now in a pickle to weather to buy a XR50 T next year or FG2
damn you all! If they end up coming with voice control, projectors and the dreamy MY FORD TOUCH my decision will be made in a instant.

to save me from mega debt, please FORD if you reading can you bring in a 2.9% finance scheme

WORK CAR: RED 1996 manual XG ute
sxckevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 09:38 PM   #59
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehoon
Dare i say it, i bet my house most people looking at interior will now benchmark FPV's offerings against the XR50th, which is awesome.

When you compare the two, there is no comparison!
Agreed. The 50th is the best looking Falcon interior I have seen. I also think painting the plastic trim around the bumpers and foglights, really lifts it too.

I would buy a GS tomorrow if FPV put that interior in it and painted the exterior plastic trims like they did with the XR50th. The trim interior and exterior, even the nicer graphics around the speedo, really make a very classy car.

Simple things, but they really raise the look of the car. Cost isn't the issue if Ford can slap all that kit in a sub 40K car and still turn a profit.

Would be good if the GS got all the 50th stuff in the next update, including the old premium center console as standard and then the GT etc got the new voice stuff, touch screen and more bling from FG II to help differentiate it over GS.

GS is then reasonably competitive on features against SS-V and any XR8 that might come out, while GT owners don't begrudge GS kit, as the still have bragging rights on new tech and more powerful engine. Win for everyone I would think.

Dan
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #60
Bluterus
Heavy Weight

Default Re: What will be FG2 Upgrade??

Well saying BA to BF there were a lot of changes.

6 Speed Auto's and Manuals became Standard.
The XR8 and XR6T Received bigger brake upgrades.
The XR8 got better chain tensioners, different spark plugs and oil filter.
The air intake was redesigned on the XR8 don't know about other models.
Of course the major cosmetic changes the interiors on the FPVs looked tonnes better than the BA and the Bodykits were so much more aggresive.
Traction control went into the utes as standard in the BF.

Can't remember the others but I'd certainly prefer a series 2 over the one. Oh aren't the current FG XR8's Boss 290's and the new ones will be coyote?
Bluterus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post