Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-03-2006, 09:22 PM   #31
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Motorbike licenses have been power graded for yonks...there is not one single piece of evidance posted here to suggest that grading does'nt work.

As far as I'm concerned I don't have a problem with graded licenses and training as has been suggested......as for me I'm one of the lucky ones...I was involved in car clubs not long after I got my license and they taught me to respect both mine and my cars capabilities.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 09:37 PM   #32
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As an after thought it would probably be a good idea that all new road users started on motorbikes as I did and progressed up the grade to unrestricted before they even got a car license.

Believe me there is nothing better to teach you good driving/riding skills than this....when you consider that you have to make allowances for every d/head on the road....'cos if you don't they're going to kill you!

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 19-03-2006, 10:07 PM   #33
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
It's all good on paper but finally getting to 25 and jumping from your 1.3lt 20kw barina into a 250-300kw whatever is still going to get that inexperienced driver in trouble. Why do I say the drivers inexperienced? You can drive a 20kw barina round all day @ 100% WOT. Jump into the higher powered car using normal driving habbits and they'll end up running into someone or something.

They need experience in the higher power vehicle not ИИИИters.
I agree, driver Education is the answer, not limiting what young people are allowed to drive...

but what is cheaper for the govenment...

A New Law or Forking out on a Driver Education Program?
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 10:10 PM   #34
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's not a case of whats cheaper. It's what makes $. They make $ from fining people who are driving high powered vehicles when they aren't supposed to be.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 10:34 PM   #35
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Like everyone else said here, a compulsary defensive driving course would be good (: Regardless, they'll always be P-platers who drive like maniac's and P-platers who cruise at normal speed (:
xurbanx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 10:45 PM   #36
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
It's all good on paper but finally getting to 25 and jumping from your 1.3lt 20kw barina into a 250-300kw whatever is still going to get that inexperienced driver in trouble. Why do I say the drivers inexperienced? You can drive a 20kw barina round all day @ 100% WOT. Jump into the higher powered car using normal driving habbits and they'll end up running into someone or something.

They need experience in the higher power vehicle not ИИИИters.
Brenx, id rather deal with a 25 yo who's spent 7 years learning how to read the road conditions and matured enough to know a bit more AND PASSED the compulsary high performance licence upgrade, jumping from a 20kw barina into a 250-300kw whatever than take the gamble with someone with 4 FULL years less experience without the extra test!!! :Reverend:

Old 19-03-2006, 11:49 PM   #37
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

Since when did experience and skill have anything to do with age ????

Practice and being interested in the craft enable one to get experience.

Skills do not appear after a certain abount of time, laziness and boredom do, and just because it is too difficult to assess and damn near impossible to get revenue from it will ensure that no effort is put into the real issues.

As for motorbike licences, I have been on 125's that will put to shame many a larger bike, and a whole lot edgier, less safe and certainly not ideal for new riders.

Attention, interest, and refining and improving skills are the only way to be a safe driver, Pity the system is more about being a legal driver.

Practical training, longer training, and constant assesment is the key,

AGE is mearly a figure (in my case unfortunatly a larger one)

Then there is the other side of the coin at what age (or more importantly skill level) do we take away the privliges of our senior citizens, how do we assess it etc.
Old 20-03-2006, 12:13 AM   #38
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Am I the only one who's done a defensive course (Murcott) and got nothing at all from it? If you had ABS the day would of been a complete WOFTAM.

The stuff they taught had been taught to me by both my dad and driving instructor. In fact I'd even go as far to say I'd learnt more from them than the course.

Now fair enough not everyone out there is getting professional lessons and I'd like to think my dad was a fairly good driver (losing it a bit as he gets on) with Vic Police driving courses, heaps of years in the TOG and some racing stuff under the belt, but if you don't know that a car won't steer with the brakes locked up you SHOULDN'T be on the road.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 02:27 AM   #39
2kool4u

Location: I live in my own little world, but it's alright, the people know me here

I'm 17 and on my P's, I think the driver training is a good idea, if they had such a place in Cairns I would definetely go to it. I think the power restriction is a waste of time though, my stock EF is easily fast enough to kill myself in.
Old 20-03-2006, 07:48 AM   #40
LTDHO
The one and only

Changing the age from 21 to 25 will do absolutely nothing!

Firstly it is a law that is not enforced now, unless you're in a V8. Most turbo 4 pots leave V8's behind.
Secondly, the 'power to weight' is only a contributing factor. As said several times already, defensive driving course should be mandatory. You can still kill yourself in a heave powerless vehicle.
Thirdly, Some people don’t get their licence until they’re in their 20’s. Why should they get into a powerful car?

Simple this, 16-18 learners, 19-21 P’s with current power/weight law (but enforced) and 22 on defensive lesson/test to get of P’s.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 08:31 AM   #41
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
Am I the only one who's done a defensive course (Murcott) and got nothing at all from it? If you had ABS the day would of been a complete WOFTAM.

The stuff they taught had been taught to me by both my dad and driving instructor. In fact I'd even go as far to say I'd learnt more from them than the course.
I did one and got heaps out of it - i really recommend it. On the day everyone with ABS had to pop the hood and the instructer pulled the ABS fuses out! If nothing else it certainly changed my driving attitude at the time (I think I was 19).

Having said that I think p/w is a good idea for cars, it works really well for bikes, but I think age is irrelevant, it should be based on how long you have held the provisional license.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 10:05 AM   #42
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
The problem is not only age it is experience. You only get experience by driving.

To get a pilot's licence requires many hours training both practical and theory along with very stringent testing and re testing every two years.
It also requires training and testing for every flying style and aircraft type.

In cars terms, you would need to be tested separately for day driving, night driving, driving in rain, driving in cities, driving a manual, driving a V8, driving a 4WD etc. etc.

The end result of this would be safer drivers but the cost both financially and politically would be horrendous.

We are stuck with the problem and it is not going to go away.....

OK. But governments are doing NOTHING about it, just putting up more speed cameras and telling us this will save lives.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 10:14 AM   #43
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thing is there will always be a road toll while humans are allowed to drive. That's the beauty of being human no-one perfect. Although some claim to be. It's only going to get worse as more and more people buy cars and hit the road.

Politicians love speed camera revenue because they don't drive a car or pay for the fuel. Tax payers pay for it.

Old 20-03-2006, 10:35 AM   #44
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd support it if all drivers had to pass an advanced driving test to be able to renew their licence. It would weed out people of ALL ages who don't cut the mustard. The younger driver's biggest problem is attitude, followed by inexperience, if they drove calmly and attentively accidents would plummet, whereas if some of the elderly were to drive the same way would struggle because they are physically limited and are flat out managing to drive 20km/h below the limit.
P-plater's vehicle limits would remain and you'd have to pass the advanced course to get your full licence which would then enable you to drive higher powered cars.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 11:48 AM   #45
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
I did one and got heaps out of it - i really recommend it. On the day everyone with ABS had to pop the hood and the instructer pulled the ABS fuses out! If nothing else it certainly changed my driving attitude at the time (I think I was 19).
On my course they told us they aren't allowed to do it because of the legal implications if something goes wrong with the car.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 11:52 AM   #46
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've seen quite a few ABS systems refuse to initialise after the fuse has been pulled for a driving course.

Old 20-03-2006, 12:10 PM   #47
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

I dont know if legislation, rules etc etc are the way that the perceived problem should be addressed

One needs to ask - is it really a problem? Im not saying it isnt a problem... but just because the news talks it up and asks well known drivers to write an article on the matter... doesnt make it a problem... something like 2 people commit suicide in australia every day, but those stories arent flavour of the month and you dont hear high profile australians throwing their hat in the ring on that issue... do you?

Of course further driver training is going to improve someone's ability... but should we be legislating that? Picture a teenager who learnt to drive in their folks "high powered" commodore and then drove that around after obtaining her P's. The thing never saw more than 30% throttle... would it be fair to make her fork out a few hundred $$$ to attend the courses being suggested - just because other people in her age group have a poor track record? I think not.

Or the other side of the fence - spend a thousand dollars teaching a young person defensive driving techniques... does this stop them mashing the throttle as soon as they get out on the road? I dont care how much training you give someone, if they exceed the limit of the car they're gonna come unstuck.

Like many things we would like to change in society it's all about changing attitudes. How is this done? Buggered if i know. It would seem that sensationalising motorsport and making the ppl that drive those cars out to be heros is probably not a great idea...
Old 20-03-2006, 04:28 PM   #48
Jeld-Wen Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats the stupidest idea. Send them to advanced driving courses, if they have no prior offences. If they pass it, then let them. If they offend, remove thier right to drive a powerful car.

I think alot of you older blokes wouldnt agree with it if were you.
Jeld-Wen Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 10:41 PM   #49
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

You cannot legislate common Sence (not that it seems that common any more)

The ability to change an attitude must come from within, we can educate about the consequences of actions, but at the end of the day it is the attitude of each and every driver that will determine their consequences.
Old 20-03-2006, 10:48 PM   #50
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very true.....but its amazing how a #10 up their bum helps to change their outlook.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 20-03-2006, 10:56 PM   #51
jmc-007

Cause and effect.

the govt doesnt want to do anything because if you train people properly then you dont have any need for speed cameras or extra equipment to buy.

On the other hand we need a big shake up of the whole system. to obtain ur driving license.

Driver training and classes in school as well . hell make it apart of the HSC!!!

Too many idiots in imports and other ИИИИ boxes.

Although dont just targe the young people but everyone.

Just because you maybe 35 or even 50 or 60 doesnt mean you can drive.

Ref: Cartigan camry drivers.

I know first hand after loosing a friend last week what a 450hp car can do in the hands of a 20 something young boy.

But even so you cant stop people being people. You can have Draconian laws and facist states but people will be people. and ИИИИ laws will be ИИИИ laws.

The govt stops nothing and helps no one. People dont think and end up hurting themselves or others.
jmc-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 10:58 PM   #52
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

wow if that came in i would only be legally allowed to drive a car next month (when i turn 25) that i have owned for almost 4 years