Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 11:56 AM   #31
BAFalconXT
Sold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowog
Best thing about this thread...

All the young ones will be old one day...
Old people could realise they were young once....

WHEN THE FATALITY RATE WAS FAR HIGHER!
Old 10-01-2007, 11:59 AM   #32
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAFalconXT

And in cars designed and built by them too! Ahhhhh!
Old 10-01-2007, 12:01 PM   #33
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:

Trust me us OLD people know were young once.

Problem is the young think they are imortal and indistructable. But time is a great teacher.
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:11 PM   #34
LUXO_8
windsor user

arent you under 50 mowog? you're young too!
Old 10-01-2007, 12:14 PM   #35
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Trust me us OLD people know were young once.

Problem is the young think they are imortal and indistructable. But time is a great teacher.
You have to wonder for some people though :
Old 10-01-2007, 12:17 PM   #36
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lol I havnt seen this particular ad, but the APIA ads in general I find greatly annoying with that old bird rattling on - I find the ads fairly ironic as old people (as in over 75) I have found to be pretty pi$$ poor drivers due to the reduced state of their mind/body, not that under 25's are any better - but I can say whatever I want as I am a white male aged between 25 and 40 (thank you Mat Groening).
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:23 PM   #37
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
arent you under 50 mowog? you're young too!
Mate for some people anything over 30 is old...

I am way to close to 50 and the last 25 years have flown by. Middle age is a funny place to be its not that long ago that you were young and your kids were small and helpless. Now your older your kids are the P platers and you worry every time they drive someplace.

The upside you have more money than when you were young.
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:46 PM   #38
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Best thing about this thread...

All the young ones will be old one day...
Not all of them, but those that do make it will smirk at the whining young who think they are a different race of people.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:04 PM   #39
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Over 70s have a far greater crash + fatality rate than even P platers...
But, thats because they are blind, death, and forget which pedal is the brake...
Too true, last week I witnessed an old woman so geriatric she was driving the wrong way down a 4 lane divided highway. Instead of turning right from a slip lane to join the road she turned left, right into the direction of traffic. Luckily the people coming the other way were going slow and could avoid her.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:35 PM   #40
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Promina owns APIA.

Promina also owns AAMI, Just Cars, Shannons and RAC Insurance (WA).

Look beyond the brands and you can quickly realise that Promina is the ultimate underwriter, so I guess the irony is that the actual cost to Promina of underwriting for each policy would probably be quite similiar.

IE - It's just marketing and departmentalisations.

I remember when I worked for APIA it was part of Australian Alliance Insurance who were underwriten by Royal Insurance ...... but that was a long time ago too ........

Back then I treated all claims on merit & most were paid ... Yes I was the Claims Manager :P

As Dave has said it is all just a marketing ploy to make it sound like they are different companies ........
Old 10-01-2007, 01:41 PM   #41
bencat

My mum who is 69 got a quote from them for car insurance, then got quotes from AAMI GIO NRMA etc, the 'pensoiners friend' was actually 20% dearer than all the others, it's the usual bleed the pensioners by making bullcrap ads, it's a total con job.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:22 PM   #42
LTDHO
The one and only

That's all we need.

More people complaining....

My advice, build a bridge and get over it!
If insurance companies offer different cover for different people. If you want to be offended over the smallest thing, then that's your problem. I would say the comments were said in jest only.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 10-01-2007, 06:31 PM   #43
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Dont you people have better things to do than sook about an ad you saw on TV.
We all know there is a rift on the road between the oldies and young people. I hear it all the time, just because it was on your TV you decide to complain,
as chopper says "HARDEN THE *** UP!"

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

Old 10-01-2007, 06:55 PM   #44
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

APIA are not that Flash apparently, my Grandfather got a quote from them to insure a 88 Merc with them that he took as a trade in+ Cash when the guy brought my grandfathers 2001 Fairlane , the Merc basically lived in a Garage it’s hole life, he was originally just going to sell it on but decided since it was in such good condition and he Liked the “Old World Charm” of the thing he fixed a few little thing up on it, polished the ****** out of it and it now looks Mint.

He got a Quote of APIA to insure it for market Value for only one driver and out of 4 Insurance companies APIA was the most expensive.

Oh and as for the add, if it was in relation to any other minority group you can bet your left nut there would be a uproar over it, whether what they were saying is true or not.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:11 PM   #45
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Are yo offended by the "Women only Gyms"? Or only police cars/ambulances/fire engines being allowed to have flashing lights and sirens?
Don't stop at the oldies, toddle off and change the whole world
Old 10-01-2007, 07:20 PM   #46
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Don't worry about them guy's

My parents had their house insured with them on the Central Coast . Twice they were hit by hail storms , first one shredded the fly screens (front & side) , second one damaged the roof . BOTH claims were rejected , first one the excuse was "the flyscreens were too old" , can't remember what the excuse for the second one was .

They changed back to NRMA , copped another storm , flyscreens were shredded back & other side and a bit of damage to the garage , NRMA paid up "straight away".

Complain if you like , but after that experience , I think I'll stick with my broker .

Quote:
mowog
I am way to close to 50 and the last 25 years have flown by. Middle age is a funny place to be its not that long ago that you were young and your kids were small and helpless. Now your older your kids are the P platers and you worry every time they drive someplace
Know how you feel mate , I'm in the same position .

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
Old 10-01-2007, 10:14 PM   #47
ls f6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05MkIIFutura
Promina is also owned by SUNCORP.
Still a few hoops for both parties to jump through before that is true...
Old 10-01-2007, 10:34 PM   #48
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

STOP your bloody whinging you ...F...W.ts.

And get on with life lest it kill you in revenge for your whinging.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 10-01-2007, 10:48 PM   #49
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You know I couldn't give a rats **** about a TV ad, I don't think there is one in the world that could offend me personally. But thats just it because I'm male, white, atheist, under 50 over 20. If I complain I'm a whinger, if my black, muslim 75 year old female neighbour sees something she doesn't like its on media watch!!
Old 10-01-2007, 10:48 PM   #50
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

MO, you wouldnt be whinging about people that are whinging, would you? :P

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
Old 10-01-2007, 10:52 PM   #51
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not whinging I'm making a passionate statement about modern social inequalities.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:59 PM   #52
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

God damn i hate that woman.. she infuriates me..
My mum hates her too, dad always gives her sh1+ about looking similar to her.. lmao
Old 10-01-2007, 11:02 PM   #53
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Too true, last week I witnessed an old woman so geriatric she was driving the wrong way down a 4 lane divided highway. Instead of turning right from a slip lane to join the road she turned left, right into the direction of traffic. Luckily the people coming the other way were going slow and could avoid her.
....and I saw about 20 bloody P platers and 100 other non P's doing stupid things all day!!! If there was more old people here there would be less silly comments and less whining! More old people die on the road than P's? I dont know the actual statistics and neither do you so I wont say its wrong, can you prove its true?

As said....build a bridge and grow old gracfully :

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-01-2007, 11:03 PM   #54
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

RIPGMH, I said "MO, you.....".

I agree with you, the world's a ******, things are unfair all around us, I say let people whinge if they feel like it.

I dont see how condemning people for 'whinging' about everyday things is productive in any way. It is easier to ignore whinging in the 'online world' rather than the real world, so I think people should stop taking the extra time to post how stupid they think people are for thinking the way they do and instead click the back button and ignore the thread. In the real world, it is a whole different story...

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
Old 10-01-2007, 11:25 PM   #55
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

The best way to get back at APIA is to live long enough to be eligible for their services and still not use them. If everyone did that they'd be out of business in 30 years.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:08 AM   #56
RSgerry
Well hello Mr Fancypants

The company's full name is (or was) Australian Pensioners Insurance Agency. They claim they dont give insurance to anyone under fifty five and working full time. They havent singled out a small group for exclusion. It is a marketing gimmick to attract a class of customer that they feel are a safe bet. Look at the stats and males under 21 are a high risk. By advertising that they exclude high risk groups, it appears that 1. They have an 'exclusive' club and understand a particular market segment better than someone who covers all people and 2. Premiums are theoretically cheaper as safer customers are not asked to shoulder some of the burden of risky customers. Complain all you like, they arent doing anything illegal.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:50 AM   #57
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Exclusive club, eh? Last I heard they were called retirement homes
Old 11-01-2007, 01:08 AM   #58
BAFalconXT
Sold...

Lets not forget how quickly an ad would be taken off the air if Just Car Insurance started saying they are not interested in insureing old people with pacemakers and hearing aids who where on the verge of having their licence taken away because of insanity...
Old 11-01-2007, 07:42 AM   #59
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05MkIIFutura
Like I said earlier, I really think you need to find something to do with your time
Exactly, like grabbing a thesaurus in order to learn the difference between deaf and death.
Honestly, how can anyone be so stupid as to lodge a complaint about something so relatively harmless? Guaranteed the morons who complain would be the first to raise ire about having to pay extra for something if they were subsidising the elderly; evidenced by insidious and offensive comments like "they're going to be dead soon anyway".
I'm not saying this as an elderly person, I'm 33, but to base an argument on a generalisation of people's life expectancy smacks of the kind of complete ignorance and stupidity that is becoming increasingly endemic in today’s society. I'd suggest the perpetrators watch the big brother New Years Eve special and beat off to it again before lodging complaints about a harmless ad.

Quote: