Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-02-2007, 11:38 AM   #31
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Not stopping at a STOP sign is an automatic fail item and the signs are deliberately placed at registries, indeed any action requiring intervention by the tester is also an automatic fail.

Another way to be caught is when you enter signposted 10km/h SHARED TRAFFIC ZONES. Here, doing 30km/h will see you fail, as exceeding the speed limit is an automatic fail item too!

I note your comments as to passengers as a P1 holder and offer this link;
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/newsevents...ml?hhid=pplate

Question: In your progress to date, did you even once read the NSW "Road Users' Handbook"?

It's downloadable in Pdf (2.92kb), but I always suggest the printed $10 version which fits neatly into a glovebox!
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...uh_english.pdf

An obvious observation here is that you are being told 'how to get a license', not necessarily 'how to drive', although the RUH above - does have a greater amount of defensive driver and practical advice than past efforts.

New national rules due 2007, these will be added to all state and territory manuals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defensive_driving
are you saying that i don't know the rules of the road? of course i know the rules or i would have gotten 90 plus. there is a difference in knowingly disobeying a sign then accidently not seeing the sign. at the time of the incident cars were pulling out of parking spaces and my attention was focused on the trafic and not the sign mounted 3 metres above my car. that sign becomes unseeable once close. when i passed the stop sign i didnt even know about it being above me. its not a sign sitting on a pole like other signs. it is a sign mounted on top of a fence.

i am 100percent certain that sign is not practical and it is designed to catch people out. it just means i have to redo my test and pay another 42 bucks. the sign is not necesary because there is no line after the sign if there is a line it would have been under the sign which means i would have stopped and my veiw would have been obstructed by the fences and my veiw of the road would have been only visible front on. you still have to pass and give way to all the traffic. i gave way and proceeded. when it comes to stop signs i stopped at all the lines on the street waited 5 seconds and continued along. i know how to read signs.

i failed end of story but i don't really appreciate being told that i don't know the road rules and of course i know its an imediate fail if you miss a stop sign, thats why its so carefully placed to catch out people. i know of 3 other people who have done the same thing. it's not the end of the world i'll do the test again, i will see the stop sign and then i will have no excuses. it just means i have 42 less dollars to spend on a car.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:48 PM   #32
majin_andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Boy
when i think back i cant even remember a white line after the sign.
I was in this situation when I did my test. There was a stop sign, but no visible white line. I stopped at the stop sign, but couldn't see anything from there, so I moved closer to the road and then stopped again, as there was a car coming.
It turned out that there technically was a white line there, but it was worn out and black with rubber / dirt etc, and not really visible.

Before you do your test again have a close look at the intersection to try and find a white line. Chances are there is one there but it is very hard to see.
majin_andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:58 PM   #33
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by majin_andrew
I was in this situation when I did my test. There was a stop sign, but no visible white line. I stopped at the stop sign, but couldn't see anything from there, so I moved closer to the road and then stopped again, as there was a car coming.
It turned out that there technically was a white line there, but it was worn out and black with rubber / dirt etc, and not really visible.

Before you do your test again have a close look at the intersection to try and find a white line. Chances are there is one there but it is very hard to see.
thanks mate i'll be doing that for sure. when i failed the test i didnt even feel like driving home lol. i had 3.5 hours sleep before the test because i was so anxious about it. when i did sleep i had dreams. i was so glad after the test because i thought i passed and now im going to have to go through all that stress again.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:51 PM   #34
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

I only ask because I know at least 10 people who have failed because of the same reason, stupidly placed signs that are hard to see and never used.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:20 PM   #35
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmon
I only ask because I know at least 10 people who have failed because of the same reason, stupidly placed signs that are hard to see and never used.
i know of 3 others
Old 11-02-2007, 11:23 PM   #36
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Boy
are you saying that i don't know the rules of the road? of course i know the rules or i would have gotten 90 plus.
obviously not because if you did, it would be 100 not 90+ plus you wouldnt have rolled through a stop sign, even if it was a give way, just come to a complete, if short, stop. that way you protect yourself against that...
good luck next time

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:28 PM   #37
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonkoXR8
obviously not because if you did, it would be 100 not 90+ plus you wouldnt have rolled through a stop sign, even if it was a give way, just come to a complete, if short, stop. that way you protect yourself against that...
good luck next time
theres boxes that are ticked and the higest is 90+ i didnt see a 100 box. i know to stop at stop signs i just didnt see the one in the rta because it is mounted up high and because i was close to the fence i couldnt see it because it wasn't in my line of sight. i stopped at 3 other stop signs in the test.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:16 AM   #38
Pursuit_chick
E-series mutantette

well done for trying, i failed mine the first time, which was like 3 years ago lol. I didnt know the area too well where the instructor took me and i did 60 in a 50 zone (school zone) (didnt realise there was a freakin school there behind all the trees and big fence)and that was automatic fail. That was in QLD.

when do you go for another test??
Future mods: Speed Holes!
Pursuit_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:33 AM   #39
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuit_chick
well done for trying, i failed mine the first time, which was like 3 years ago lol. I didnt know the area too well where the instructor took me and i did 60 in a 50 zone (school zone) (didnt realise there was a freakin school there behind all the trees and big fence)and that was automatic fail. That was in QLD.

when do you go for another test??
Thanks, i tryed but better luck next time i guess. The man asked me if i wanted to re-book but my dad wasn't happy and said "no, we will go somewhere else".
I told him that you can book it from anywhere to go where you would like but he said "don't worry, book it in our area" when i drove past the rta in my area I didn't feel like waiting in que, I just wasn't in a good mood and I was sick of thinking about driving. I'm just going to book it when I go past and there is hardly anyone in, like last time.
Hey, are you allowed to go 60km in a school zone if it is after school hours or on a saturday?
Old 12-02-2007, 12:26 PM   #40
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$150 bucks for a lesson? You're going to the wrong place my wife only pays $40 for an hour.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:45 PM   #41
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You failed because you stuffed up...

I do love how its the RTA's fault for putting a 'hidden sign' in there which caused you to fail. If you think its going to be different on the road, you are sorely mistaken. They put stuff there like that to see if you are watching and are aware of your surroundings... Not too big an ask in my opinion.

By the sounds of it you never got any professional lessons. If not, big big mistake.

In Victoria, almost every driving school will have a 'Guaranteed Pass or we ill pay for the retest' policy. This is because when you get in the car, the instructor will take you on every route - they are predetermined - and explain every trap and pitfall on the way. My instructor would have said to me, "there is a stop sign at the RTA driveway. Make sure you stop" or "This corner juts out a little more then everyone on their test routes, take it wide or you'll mount it and fail".
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 02:37 PM   #42
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

i got 100% on my test .. to keep my nervousness down .. i just said to my self i don't care if i pass or fail (well it worked ;))

i did about 3? drives with the instructor which i think everyone needs to do if they want to pass ... cause unless your parents are instructors and teaching you... i don't think anyone would stand a chance ;)
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 04:49 PM   #43
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
$150 bucks for a lesson? You're going to the wrong place my wife only pays $40 for an hour.
its 50 bucks for a lesson before the test and an extra 100 to take his car on the test. i went in my own car.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:59 PM   #44
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79
You failed because you stuffed up...

I do love how its the RTA's fault for putting a 'hidden sign' in there which caused you to fail. If you think its going to be different on the road, you are sorely mistaken. They put stuff there like that to see if you are watching and are aware of your surroundings... Not too big an ask in my opinion.

By the sounds of it you never got any professional lessons. If not, big big mistake.

In Victoria, almost every driving school will have a 'Guaranteed Pass or we ill pay for the retest' policy. This is because when you get in the car, the instructor will take you on every route - they are predetermined - and explain every trap and pitfall on the way. My instructor would have said to me, "there is a stop sign at the RTA driveway. Make sure you stop" or "This corner juts out a little more then everyone on their test routes, take it wide or you'll mount it and fail".
yeah, i stuffed up and I'm over it. I still think the sign is in a position which makes it nearly impossible to see once close up. i did the real world test and i didn't miss any stop signs. I missed the stop sign but i gave way to the passing vehicles. The reason I didnt see it is because when i was pulling out my attention was focussed on the car that pulled out infront of me. when i got around the car the sign was no longer in my line of site because it was well above the car and mounted on a fence not a pole which would be right infornt of someone. its placed too high for cars to see once they are within 5 metres. I'm tired of making excuses but i still feel robbed.

I've only had 1 lesson and i think thats enough. 50 bucks seems a waste of money to go more then once. if i went 3 times and hired the car it would have costed me 250 bucks. Not worth it. Even if i fail 2 more times it will still cost less then having 3 lessons and takin the instructors car.

I don't want to seem like a whinger so I'll let it rest. It's over, I failed. Atleast I know that its wasn't because i can't drive. I'll take the test again and i'll pass. No excuses. When i started this thread I was just very heated because i tryed so hard and i thought i did everything right. I was doing so much observation it was just a huge shock that i didn't see the sign. I'm not the first person to do it and i wont be the last.