Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-12-2006, 06:29 PM   #31
Venomous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8fella
Yes, i gather because its for people getting there licence, not applying to those who have their licence already.

When that law came in to NSW a while back my wife was on her P's, and she has an AU XR8, she was not liking the thought of having to sell it and get a 4 or 6 cyl , but she already had her licence, so it was fine
Lol yeah, the crappy thing is though i dont get my P's until september.
I have my car and all but yeah.
So now sure what will happen
Venomous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2006, 10:03 PM   #32
xr8-200

Maybe they powers that be should look at it differently..... most accidents involving P platers are in realivly cheap cars. You dont see many expensive cars driven by P platers in crashes. How about they put a ban on P platers driving cars that are under $30,000 in value....
xr8-200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2006, 10:07 PM   #33
67RCE
Banned

I got my licence in a new Mini Cooper S, yes it was a driving school car, yes i got it in Qld. i started off driving a Mazda 323, and then after about 15months with that i then got my ED XR6, big upgrade, but my parents have Falcons aswell, so i knew what they drove like, Turbo cars are far too easily available and modifyable, which is what drives kids to get them, luckily i was bought up around older cars, and i actually respect my car, know my limits and dont drive near them
67RCE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2006, 12:11 AM   #34
StookEB

I agree that they shouldn't drive hi-powered cars, but it's the crappy old cars that are killing people. The p-plater death rate has doubled because of these laws. They are doing the same in an older car but have to try harder to do it. Hoons will always do stupid stuff they just need more training. TRAINING is the key. Why not have a driving day like with the bikes, they will pay attention when it's $200 bucks each time to do it.
They will still do it but they may know how to control it this time.
Old 31-12-2006, 01:27 AM   #35
fmc351
let it burn

i know education can teach. Its not simply education though. You dont think some of these kids who do these driver training courses will now feel more convinced of their abilities?

If the car can do 100, its capable of killing them. If they t-bone someone at 60, its likely someones going to die. I can do 60 on a push bike (maybe). Power limits are a start, education another step, attitude adjustment is key though. Too much focus on cars abilities, drivers abilities, and a complete disregard for the fact its a public road, where the unexpected happens continuously.

The problem is attitudes. I have no idea how to fix that in the population, Im damn sure governments cant no matter how much serious effort they put into it. I know how to try with my own though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30487256
Don't forget that many of these new hi-powered cars come with features such as DSC, traction control, numerous airbags, ABS. They are acutally much safer that many of the older 'less powerful' cars.
What about the kiddy on the school crossing they hit? Or the family they plough into? youre airbags wont help them.

Like I said, attitudes, there are other people in this issue.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2006, 01:33 AM   #36
smiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
The point people don't seem to grasp about powerful cars is not the speed but the acceleration, a stock 6 cylinder falcon will not do a U turn in the dry if given a boot full, whereas a Hypo V8 or turbo can create all sorts of situations in the dry, i don't even try do drive my coupe in the wet, it's scary.
im not sure what you mean by not do a u-turn my BA and especially my old EA I6 would be into the pole if I gave it full boot around a u-turn.
2.5" Redback, high flow cat, Pacemaker headers

178.3rwkw
15.18 @ 95.72 MPH
smiley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2006, 04:29 AM   #37
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

the part that makes me laugh is that one of the restrictions is that engine modifications that require approval from Queensland Transport arent allowed for P platers...... now, i dont know about you, but IMO it's pretty damned easy to get decent power without going anywhere near things that will require approval......
Old 31-12-2006, 08:26 AM   #38
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Ive had my say in that other thread so ill try and keep it short, but for those who are crying about get over yourself.

There are plenty of chumps that should not have their license full stop. And these are the people that get the V8 or turbo or whatever.

While they will still be idiots, at least the harm/risk is minimized.

Its only for a few years while you are on your P's, big deal.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2006, 08:56 AM   #39
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Doesn't worry me one bit...The rule won't apply to me :-)

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2006, 09:10 AM   #40
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I'm over hearing the same pathetic ways the governments and police are trying to reduce the road toll. The only way to do it is proper driver training before you get your P's. They know it too but don't want to spend a cent on it as it would be rather expensive. They will only do things that will cost them next to nothing and will make the government money through fines like greed cameras.
I'm with you Bossxr8, we all know this is a big part of the solution, motoring writers and most people with half a brain keep saying this. The governments must surely know this but seems it's not a vote catcher to the dumbed down masses who believe the government's advertising that speed cameras save lives. I don't know how the various government ministers responsible, sleep at night with all that blood on their hands.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2006, 11:30 AM   #41
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Driver training or driver education is totally pointless if the driver's ATTITUDE to safe driving is the issue.
No single initiative will solve the problem, however the introduction of Power restrictions say to me that the authorities have possibly resigned themselves to the fact that all the training and education in the world is totally useless if the drivers behave like idiots behind the wheel.. In otherwords they're legislating to protect the innocent from the fools.

Remember this stat:

"Young drivers behind the wheel of eight-cylinder cars involved in crashes in Queensland from 2001-2005 were twice as likely to be driving with excessive speed – 11.5 per cent – when compared with young drivers in cars with less than eight cylinders – 5.6 per cent," Mr Lucas said.

Speaks volumes doesnt it, if power isnt an issue with speed and accidents then why is this stat such a glaring standout???

Old 31-12-2006, 11:36 AM   #42
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

i wonder how much those figures would change if they removed the statistics for all those airhead P-plater girls in festivas, excels, etc like that who cant drive to save thier *********g lives around town?

sexist i know, but those girls scare the hell outta me
Old 31-12-2006, 11:38 AM   #43
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor
i wonder how much those figures would change if they removed the statistics for all those airhead P-plater girls in festivas, excels, etc like that who cant drive to save thier *********g lives around town?

sexist i know, but those girls scare the hell outta me
According to the stat above they're clearly not the issue, hypothetically if you removed the "4cyl girl driver" % from the stats it would make the V8 drivers look even worse....

Old 31-12-2006, 11:47 AM   #44
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8fella

When that law came in to NSW a while back my wife was on her P's, and she has an AU XR8, she was not liking the thought of having to sell it and get a 4 or 6 cyl , but she already had her licence, so it was fine
I don't think the exemption applies to the license but instead to whether the P-plater owned the car or not at teh cut-off date. She owned the car when the rule came in so was ok.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2006, 12:01 PM   #45
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i would rather be in a falcon doing 100 and hitting a pole then a pulsar hitting a pole. yes, in both cars you are likely to die but the falcon driver has a bigger chance of survival when you compare its size. being hit from side on in a pulsar will have little chance compared to a falcon.
there are older v8s that are slower then some newer 6s.
people who say that driver training wont help are generally the people who have not had driver training. my dad did his fpv driving course and said he learnt so much from it and feels confindent enough to avoid certain accidents. we need training like this.

i'll admit this topic is done to death and people will continue to say get over it but those people are the people who had the option on driving whatever car they can afford.

if someone is going to speed then they will. i would like to see the statistics to how many accidents have occured since this law has come out. is it alot more greater then when the law was not out? if not and the crashes have been close in comparrison then that will show that accidents are becoming more then accidents but they are becoming fatalities now.

if we let these laws pass then it only allows for more restrictions in the future. soon the government will restrict us to cars with 4 cylindas because 6s are too powerful or large. its getting beyond a joke. i think cars should be restricted to stock form. and hav no more then 200 kilowatts.
Old 31-12-2006, 12:05 PM   #46
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Boy
i would rather be in a falcon doing 100 and hitting a pole then a pulsar hitting a pole. yes, in both cars you are likely to die but the falcon driver has a bigger chance of survival when you compare its size. being hit from side on in a pulsar will have little chance compared to a falcon.
there are older v8s that are slower then some newer 6s.
people who say that driver training wont help are generally the people who have not had driver training. my dad did his fpv driving course and said he learnt so much from it and feels confindent enough to avoid certain accidents. we need training like this.

i'll admit this topic is done to death and people will continue to say get over it but those people are the people who had the option on driving whatever car they can afford.

if someone is going to speed then they will. i would like to see the statistics to how many accidents have occured since this law has come out. is it alot more greater then when the law was not out? if not and the crashes have been close in comparrison then that will show that accidents are becoming more then accidents but they are becoming fatalities now.

if we let these laws pass then it only allows for more restrictions in the future. soon the government will restrict us to cars with 4 cylindas because 6s are too powerful or large. its getting beyond a joke. i think cars should be restricted to stock form. and hav no more then 200 kilowatts.
I think you must have missed the stat:

"Young drivers behind the wheel of eight-cylinder cars involved in crashes in Queensland from 2001-2005 were twice as likely to be driving with excessive speed – 11.5 per cent – when compared with young drivers in cars with less than eight cylinders – 5.6 per cent," .

They're not talking about inexperience here, they're talking about reckless or dangerous driving behaviour as a contributing factor to causing these CRASHES.

Old 31-12-2006, 12:23 PM   #47
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I think you must have missed the stat:

"Young drivers behind the wheel of eight-cylinder cars involved in crashes in Queensland from 2001-2005 were twice as likely to be driving with excessive speed – 11.5 per cent – when compared with young drivers in cars with less than eight cylinders – 5.6 per cent," .

They're not talking about inexperience here, they're talking about reckless or dangerous driving behaviour as a contributing factor to causing these CRASHES.

so why is there suddenly twice as many p platers dieing in nsw since the law was introduced here? maybe people are more likley to speed in an 8 but that does not mean they are more likley to die speeding. when compared to the people in the 4 cylindas speeding.

statistics can be made to say lots of things. if there was 2 accidents by v8s and one of the accidents had the v8 driver over the speed limit then they could they that 50 percent of the accidents were caused by speeding.

i want ot see numbers of accidents and deaths. was there more accidents in 4 cylindas and did it result in more deaths?
Old 31-12-2006, 12:31 PM   #48
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
so why is there suddenly twice as many p platers dieing in nsw since the law was introduced here?
Do you know this as a FACT?
Do NSW P platers even comply with the new laws?

Quote:
maybe people are more likley to speed in an 8 but that does not mean they are more likley to die speeding. when compared to the people in the 4 cylindas speeding.
You're drawing a VERY long bow there..... the stat said twice as likely to be speeding when involved in a crash. STATISTICALLY excessive speed is either the number one or number two contributing factor involved in ALL road deaths.

Quote:
statistics can be made to say lots of things. if there was 2 accidents by v8s and one of the accidents had the v8 driver over the speed limit then they could they that 50 percent of the accidents were caused by speeding.
If someone is speeding when they crash they're braking the law, i don't know how anyone could say that speeding was NOT possibly a factor if they crashed, regardless of who's to "blame"..

Quote:
i want ot see numbers of accidents and deaths. was there more accidents in 4 cylindas and did it result in more deaths?
U25 and high powered cars has been a standout stat for years, the stats have been posted and highlighted in other threads, some are obviously still in denial and still can't accept them.

Old 31-12-2006, 12:41 PM   #49
benoxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is the latest stats for South Aust. Which the Govt. and motoring organisations agree is “living Proof” that the system here works in reducing the P-Plater fatalities and the P-Platers involved in serious and fatal crashes. (which means the P-plater was involved in the fatal crash but wasn’t the person killed)

P-Plater in serious crashes
year 2004 – 155
2005 – 128
2006 - 119
P-plater fatal
2005 - 11
2006 - 4
P-plater involved
2005 – 19
2006 - 9
P-plater licence cancelled
2005 - 1623
2006 – 3667 (126% increase)

“The record number of P licence cancellations was linked to a dramatic fall in the number of P-Plate driver involved in crashes resulting in fatalities or serious injuries.
They say the younger drivers are usually over-represented in fatalities due to inexperience, peer pressure and reckless behaviour. The Graduated Licencing Scheme requires new drivers to gain more experience & skills under controlled conditions before they progress to a full licence. If a P-Plater is disqualified they can appeal and get the licence back to use for work purposes. If they get a 2nd disqualification, they cant appeal for 5yrs.” So basically, they are getting dangerous p-platers off the road, but no indication here that its only those in high powered cars.
R.I.P. Jarrad 22/05/83 - 08/12/02
benoxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2006, 12:57 PM   #50
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

U25 and high powered cars has been a standout stat for years, the stats have been posted and highlighted in other threads, some are obviously still in denial and still can't accept them.[/QUOTE]

most people are on thier full license by 22 so why only ban p platers? why not just everyone under 25?
Old 31-12-2006, 01:47 PM   #51
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
According to the stat above they're clearly not the issue, hypothetically if you removed the "4cyl girl driver" % from the stats it would make the V8 drivers look even worse....
not necessesarily, i'd say the majority of crashes from the "airhead 4cyl girl" population would be around town in situations where sheer stupidity and not speed would be to blame
Old 31-12-2006, 02:00 PM   #52
DanXR6T
Eat more peanuts....

The original news article is crap - this has been public information on the Qld Transport website now for several months.

This is why I don't read newspapers or watch the news...

Formerly owned:
'99 AU Falcon Ute
'88 EA Falcon GL
DanXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post