Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-11-2006, 08:47 PM   #31
mustang

alrite i got something for yas all my parents own a land rover discovery which is turboed and i know i would be able 2 drive it even after these laws told by a cop

now if my parents were to upgrade the turbo would i still be able to drive it? or even upgrade the whole engine since its decided on the car type?

WWW.QLDSTREETSCENE.COM/
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2006, 09:08 PM   #32
Venomous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Questions for me....
Does anybody know how the power restrictions will be working?
I get my P's 29th of September so i cop it. Pretty sucky huh.
Anyway I've got a EL XR6 with just a high-flow cat and an exhaust
system. Hopefully extractors soon. Will i not be able to drive it?

And just another question.
When your on your l's, the supervising driver, do they just need to have their opens?
Like could they have just gotten them? Or is there an amount of time they have to had them for.
Cheers
Shane
Venomous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2006, 09:11 PM   #33
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous
Questions for me....
Does anybody know how the power restrictions will be working?
I get my P's 29th of September so i cop it. Pretty sucky huh.
Anyway I've got a EL XR6 with just a high-flow cat and an exhaust
system. Hopefully extractors soon. Will i not be able to drive it?

And just another question.
When your on your l's, the supervising driver, do they just need to have their opens?
Like could they have just gotten them? Or is there an amount of time they have to had them for.
Cheers
Shane
I don't know about the car itself, but an exhaust sytem with a high flo cat is a mod already, extractors would be a second mod, so my guess would be probably not an allowable car.
Old 19-11-2006, 09:33 PM   #34
jimmy_c
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
No offence to you, but it may actually stop you mexicans moving up here.....hmmmm an unexpected bonus guys.

(not aimed at you, just southerners in general:P)

I was in qld before nsw. Its all good the job didnt pay enough so i didnt go. ahahahah
jimmy_c is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2006, 09:37 PM   #35
Venomous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
I don't know about the car itself, but an exhaust sytem with a high flo cat is a mod already, extractors would be a second mod, so my guess would be probably not an allowable car.
I'm hoping/thinking it will just be highly modified.
If not, what's the chance of them finding out.
Are you able to help me with the other question?
Old 19-11-2006, 09:56 PM   #36
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

As a learner driver Venomous you should get yourself that "keys to QLD" book from the newsagent with all the road rules.

We will learn more about the full restrictions shortly, as yet they havent got the list of restricted vehicles, but modified, basically i would assume, if it takes you to a certain amount of power then it would be restricted.

As for your other question, this is from the Qld Transport Website (from that book)

Quote:
only be taught by a person who holds, and has held an Open class C licence for at least one year. Note: If the vehicle
has passenger seating, the person must accompany you by sitting next to you

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2006, 09:57 PM   #37
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

Just realised that the "Your keys to driving in QLD" learner driver guide is available on line in PDF format, so no need to buy it if you dont want...

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/L...drive_yourkeys

fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
Old 19-11-2006, 09:58 PM   #38
Venomous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCFordChic
As a learner driver Venomous you should get yourself that "keys to QLD" book from the newsagent with all the road rules.

We will learn more about the full restrictions shortly, as yet they havent got the list of restricted vehicles, but modified, basically i would assume, if it takes you to a certain amount of power then it would be restricted.

As for your other question, this is from the Qld Transport Website (from that book)
Yeah, a few months before i go for my L's i will pick it up.
I doubt my XR would be over the power limit then?
Well i sure hope not.
Or i'll be bummed
Old 19-11-2006, 10:07 PM   #39
Venomous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another question.
When are people in NSW eligible to go for their opens?
Sorry about taking this abit off topic
Old 19-11-2006, 10:11 PM   #40
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Now, I'm not out to start an smoking/anti smoking flame war...this is just to point out how far the restrictions for any driver are going...Tas is about to make it law you cannot smoke in your car if there are children/passengers in it.

Some of you may remember I posted way back 'D.Johnson said...no smoking no eating and no drinking in car whilst driving.......this is his opinion/advice offered to a road safety committee.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2006, 10:18 PM   #41
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

We share the road with millions of others. All travelling in heavy and potentially deadly chunks of metal and plastic.

FULL concentration should be paid to the road. Distractions like lighting cigarettes, potentially dropping a flaming cigarette butt on the floor or seat, trying to hold a sandwhich while turning and changing gears, putting on make-up, having a conversation on a phone (even hands free) etc are all things that are not needed and can wait till you finish driving.

Personally, i couldnt care less if the government legislate to stop smoking/eating/application of make-up etc in our private vehicles. It would make me feel more safe that more people will be soley concentrating on DRIVING. Having said that however, i still see ALOT of people talking on mobile phones.

However, all that is kind of off topic.

fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
Old 19-11-2006, 10:28 PM   #42
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK now I quite often drive 1100/1300 ks in one hit if I could'nt smoke in my car and had to stop every 15/20mins to get out and have a smoke..do you think me stopping on freeway in peak traffic would cause a problem.

Just to add history I've been smoking since I was 11 and am now 58 and have been driving since I was 13.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 19-11-2006, 10:30 PM   #43
Venomous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess it depends on where abouts your driving.
Busy highway or neighborhoods or what not, i say
no.
Old 19-11-2006, 10:35 PM   #44
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not being funny etc but don't forget some freeways don't have a pull over lane ...so in order for me to have my smoke I pull up in the left lane of a two lane each way freeway...whats going to happen?

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 19-11-2006, 10:37 PM   #45
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

When you are taught to fly (an aeroplane that is, I dont do drugs) You are taught to fly!!! Not just to pass the test..... You must pass practicle tests that emulate real life emergencies. You must do a minimum of solo hours, instrument time, engine failure after take off, engine failure in flight, energency landings, the list goes on. Why cant the government implement a structured course like this for ALL drivers???? Cost, if you cant afford it, dont drive. Time, there are no short cuts. Age, if you are grown up enough in the head, you can learn.

I will never forget a flight that I took with a young lady. We took off from Archerfeild in Brisbane, out to the east and over Stradbroke and Moreton Island.... A wonderful experience given that the pilot in command was 16. She had just passed her UPPL. Her dad had to drive her to the airport... :hihi:

Education must be the key..... it should be REAL drivers education. Drivers must be put into stressful situations and be shown how to recover. It will not save every driver, but it just might teach the majority their limits.
Old 19-11-2006, 10:46 PM   #46
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

I seriously dont care how someone decides to live their own life, but if you are sharing the road with me i would like your full attention on the road, and full concentration on the multiple aspects of driving. It is the split lapses in concentration that cause so many accidents.

If you have to pull over at every rest stop to fulfill your addiction, you can do so. It is your decision to smoke, not anyone else on the road. Im not picking on you MO but if you are lighting a cigarette or drop your butt accidently and swerve into me, i will not care that it is an addiction, i would ask why you werent concentrating on the road. Provided I was in a position to ask...

I have the same thoughts about eating, talking on the phone, playing with music constantly, applying make-up, i dont discriminate against smokers.

fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
Old 19-11-2006, 10:46 PM   #47
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Education is the theory.......training is the practical.!

I think I said something about this earlier in general sense?

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 19-11-2006, 10:55 PM   #48
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I seriously dont care how someone decides to live their own life, but if you are sharing the road with me i would like your full attention on the road, and full concentration on the multiple aspects of driving. It is the split lapses in concentration that cause so many accidents.

If you have to pull over at every rest stop to fulfill your addiction, you can do so. It is your decision to smoke, not anyone else on the road. Im not picking on you MO but if you are lighting a cigarette or drop your butt accidently and swerve into me, i will not care that it is an addiction, i would ask why you werent concentrating on the road. Provided I was in a position to ask...

I have the same thoughts about eating, talking on the phone, playing with music constantly, applying make-up, i dont discriminate against smokers.

I think you missed the point ...every 15/20mins I smoke now on some freeways/highways you don't get a rest stop or a pull over lane for about an hour.

Now I have never had an incident let alone accident because I smoke whilst driving in all the time I've been driving both illegaly(read start driving age used to drive drunk mates home from parties in the FJ) and legally.

And to further my arguement against such stupid and draconian laws Smoking makes me more alert the same as the former unrestricted N.T. laws did when I would sit on 180/220 hour after hour etc.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 19-11-2006, 11:05 PM   #49
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

A driver in charge of a vehicle travelling on public roads should give UNDIVIDED attention to driving.

:evilsasmo

fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
Old 19-11-2006, 11:08 PM   #50
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

There is a guy out here in the Alice that owns a 4X4 driver training school. He is wheel chair bound. He became disabled when his girl friend droped a cigeratte butt into her lap whilst driving on a gravel road.... Car rolled, the rest is history. I believe that when you are driving, that is ALL you are doing. You are not a referee for the kids, you are not a DJ, you are not a world class entertainer rehearsing your new concert lines. You are driving and that is ALL you are doing. But we are human, we ALL have human weakness's. That will never change.
Old 19-11-2006, 11:11 PM   #51
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A driver in charge of a vehicle travelling on public roads should give UNDIVIDED attention to driving.

:evilsasmo

Always have and always will...you see I'm an unusual male I can think and drive and talk and smoke all at the same time and not once lose concentration on the task at hand...capiche!

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 19-11-2006, 11:20 PM   #52
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
There is a guy out here in the Alice that owns a 4X4 driver training school. He is wheel chair bound. He became disabled when his girl friend droped a cigeratte butt into her lap whilst driving on a gravel road.... Car rolled, the rest is history. I believe that when you are driving, that is ALL you are doing. You are not a referee for the kids, you are not a DJ, you are not a world class entertainer rehearsing your new concert lines. You are driving and that is ALL you are doing. But we are human, we ALL have human weakness's. That will never change.

When I get back not only shall we burn some cow but I will take you for a drive..if your game.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 19-11-2006, 11:21 PM   #53
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

Undivided means JUST driving...not the self proclaimed ability to multi-task. Im sure if i tried i could do many other things whilst driving. But the point is, no matter how small you believe the task to be, it DOES distract you, even if it is merely momentarily. All it takes is a few fractions of a second for accidents to occur, just because it hasnt happened to you yet, doesnt mean it wont. But i suppose there really is no way i can change your mind about not smoking cancer sticks whilst driving, so I think we should let this get back to the new QLD laws...

Outbackjack, that is the exact sort of split second accident i was referring to. Your example of the different types of "learning" exemplifies my thoughts precisely about what needs to change at the most fundamental level in motor vehicle driving.

fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
Old 19-11-2006, 11:26 PM   #54
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
When I get back not only shall we burn some cow but I will take you for a drive..if your game.
Not too burnt, gotta leave some blood in it..... yeah, we could go for a drive. But that would leave the beer un drunk......
Old 19-11-2006, 11:30 PM   #55
lukey039
Just a spectator

I think these laws are a good idea apart from the "baning of high powered cars". My first car was a 1980 Toyota Corona with a starfire to boot.I did more dangerous and stupid things in that car in one year then I have in my EA I have owned these past 8.No matter what car you have there is a will there is a way.Also if a P or open license holder losses his/her license under the age of 25,having had there license for a while and high powered car to boot then all of the sudden can't drive it "WHAT A JOKE.
Old 19-11-2006, 11:33 PM   #56
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
Not too burnt, gotta leave some blood in it..... yeah, we could go for a drive. But that would leave the beer un drunk......

You misunderstand the drive is before the cow...hahahahahaha

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 19-11-2006, 11:54 PM   #57
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder if WA is going to be next? Right now it seems to be a P Platers paradise compared to the eastern states :sm_headba
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2006, 11:54 PM   #58
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Undivided means JUST driving...not the self proclaimed ability to multi-task. Im sure if i tried i could do many other things whilst driving. But the point is, no matter how small you believe the task to be, it DOES distract you, even if it is merely momentarily. All it takes is a few fractions of a second for accidents to occur, just because it hasnt happened to you yet, doesnt mean it wont. But i suppose there really is no way i can change your mind about not smoking cancer sticks whilst driving, so I think we should let this get back to the new QLD laws..

Hhmm, so that means that all the V8 Supercar drivers that are talking to the commentary team whilst racing at 200+kph should be dead?

Jen I agree with a some of what you have to say but on this subject you are barely old enough....nor have the experience.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 20-11-2006, 05:02 PM   #59
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
Hhmm, so that means that all the V8 Supercar drivers that are talking to the commentary team whilst racing at 200+kph should be dead?

Jen I agree with a some of what you have to say but on this subject you are barely old enough....nor have the experience.

Clearly V8 supercar drivers are highly trained and should not be compared to the average driver trying to have a conversation on a mobile, while eating Hungry Jacks and attempting to drive.

Im glad you can see some of what i am saying is making sense, but i really fail to see why my age and experience are of no value, hence making my opinion less important than yours just because you are an old fart ( :P JOKING) and you have driven for much longer than me.

I suppose you are saying you have had so much practice being distracted by lighting your cigarettes and ensuring you dont drop one accidently, that you are now at the point where you can do it 'safely' whilst driving. But so be it, (no offence meant MO, nor is this a personal attack) i have learnt through this and other experiences there is no reasoning with smokers when it comes to their cigarettes. The question then is, MO do you think it is safe to let people eat, apply make-up and do other incidental activities whilst they are driving?

(Maybe this should be a new thread....)

fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
Old 20-11-2006, 05:16 PM   #60
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Undivided means JUST driving...not the self proclaimed ability to multi-task. Im sure if i tried i could do many other things whilst driving. But the point is, no matter how small you believe the task to be, it DOES distract you, even if it is merely momentarily. All it takes is a few fractions of a second for accidents to occur, just because it hasnt happened to you yet, doesnt mean it wont.

I'm old enough, I smoke and I'll mostly agree with you. I don't think one should smoke while driving. Actually, I think it should be outlawed. Having something lit in your hand while you are driving is not a good thing. If you need to react quickly then you need to do something with it and that restricts the time you can react to what has happened. We can't give 100% attention all the time. We all nibble on nibblies, change the radio station, sneeze, have a good perve or whatever. If we were to give 100% you'd find us only driving for a fraction of the time we do before exhaustion set in. I know I'd find myslef going way too fast as I do when I "tune in". We try and do our best and focus while being prepared for the unexpected. A lit cigarette in your hand doesn't help that at all.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post