Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #31
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Falcon Ecoboost sales breakdown

Ford only has them to blame!!! Sake the CEO & Marketing manager as they are completely useless. You can't launch a game changing vehicle like EB4 & then spend jack all to market it. If I go on marketing alone, I know about the Holden Volt (that is not on sale), than I do about Ecoboost (been on sale 3 months). A Diesel Falcon would have failed just as much, with the lack of advertising Ford has put into EB4!!

To be frank, they deserve to fail as they are treating the Brand "Falcon" & us Ford/ Falcon fans like total crap!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #32
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Joe5619 also Holden have a Facebook page for the Malibu..and its not released yet!!!!
Old 17-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #33
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASER
No point, Falcon has always been a 6, why try switching them with confussion and stuffing the sale, the difference in fuel use in the real world would be very small anyway

Should have been powerplants:

IL6
V8
LPi
TDi
Actually the 4 cylinder is quite an engine.
It has been fitted to many other models and makes world wide and seems to be doing ok.
According to this review it achieved 8.3l/100km, haven't seen a tested I6 getting anywhere near that.
There is no reason the ecoBoost cannot compliment the range. I just believe Ford haven't priced it well enough...
The diesel would sell yes but not to the extent required.
The issue with the Falcon sales is the Falcon itself. Large sedans are not selling especially with far more versatile vehicles out there.
Old 17-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #34
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
FORD must drop G6 and G6E , no one knows what they are. Mention Fairmont and the lights go on !! people know what the XR6 is, but G6??? G6E ??. "I drive a G6E ?? no one knows what you are talking about. People know what the numbers on cars mean with BMW, Benz etc..but Falcon ????? Then advertise !!!! Look at what other car companies spend on advertising, related to sales,eg Hyundai and Kia, sales are thru the roof...
I'm going to challenge that. I tell everyone I drove an XR6 & 95% of people go "what is that".. Then I say "Falcon" & they get it.

Who cares what the individual sub model names are, as long as people know it is a Falcon. Do you the sub model brake up of Corolla, Focus, Madza3, Ranger, I30, I20, Cruse, Commodore, etc, ect, ect.. I don’t, but I do know what each of them is!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #35
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
I'm going to challenge that. I tell everyone I drove an XR6 & 95% of people go "what is that".. Then I say "Falcon" & they get it.

Who cares what the individual sub model names are, as long as people know it is a Falcon. Do you the sub model brake up of Corolla, Focus, Madza3, Ranger, I30, I20, Cruse, Commodore, etc, ect, ect.. I don’t, but I do know what each of them is!!
i own a xr6 also. if people ask or if someone needs to put something in my car or whatever, i just tell them its a red falcon. everyone understands.

ford really are silly. they could save a bucket load in wages and sack almost everyone and then just log on to AFF every morning to get all the expert advice they'll ever need.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #36
entheos

G6 Ltd Edition @ $36,490 d/a is cheaper than a Falcon XR6 and offers more... Reverse Camera, Leather, Rear boot lip Spoiler, etc... and available in an Ecoboost at no extra cost...
Old 17-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #37
crymoarpls
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
ford really are silly. they could save a bucket load in wages and sack almost everyone and then just log on to AFF every morning to get all the expert advice they'll ever need.
no they shouldnt sack anymore people for a start. and if they start using our ideas they should pay us too.
crymoarpls is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #38
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

53 private sales in 3 months? Perhaps there's some connection between this thread and the 440 Ford job losses thread.....
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #39
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
53 private sales in 3 months? Perhaps there's some connection between this thread and the 440 Ford job losses thread.....
Unfortunately probably not too far from the mark there.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #40
BaraFGXR6

Harldy no marketing

No listening to what the consumer wants

And creating an engine that is in its own good but why bother?

If the majority of people own an xr6 on lease now with a fuel card or such, why would they consider "upgrading" to a smaller engine with the same power? People may not be smart but they sure as hell arnt ignorant.

If they wanted it to sell well they should have upped the tune for it rather than simply release it at a base tune so the model can have a staged life. Maybe it will attract other buyers than havent owned a falcon but most current ford owners wouldnt see a use for it above what they already have.

Ford Australia really need to get there ***** together.
2012 Navara STX manual - sold.
2013 Focus ST - sold.
2015 XLS ranger auto - sold.
2017 VW Golf work car.. current..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
I'm going to convert my turbo to NA, just to see your head explode.
BaraFGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #41
I6DOHC

What I can't understand is the basis of the Federal Governments "Green Vehicle Guide" and how it establishes overall vehicle ratings. They seem like a crock to me.

The Ecoboost rates worse than both the 6cylinder Holden & Toyota despite the Ford having better fuel economy and pushing out less CO2.

Do a car comparison on this site below to see the figures (sorry about just giving this link, but I need to look up about linking images in)

http://www.greenvehicleguide.gov.au

Does anyone know why this would be?

It seems a bit ridiculous and surely it is worth Ford following up because this seems to be the latest excuse for government fleets not to buy the falcon (with the NSW rating having to be a minimum of 13.5 out of 20) ...and lets face it the whole idea of the Ecoboost was to be a fleet warrior.
I6DOHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #42
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Joe5619 also Holden have a Facebook page for the Malibu..and its not released yet!!!!
AND they have ads on the telly for the Volt (which isnt out yet either).

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #43
BHDOGS
Banned

i was gonna read this thread but i thought id just skip to the end and summerise im sure whats been said its fords fault something about marketing a diesel variant will be mentioned maybe a throw back to the wagon some ball joint issues from the territory perhaps add a few throw backs to some old dead model names mention a car made by some poor country that has more useless accesorys like nose trimming butt cleaners for 20 cents cheaper then a falcon shake with some aff sauce and you have a **** thread sandwich
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #44
I6DOHC

Just a follow-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
A NSW government fleet manager told Drive state government departments couldn’t order the four-cylinder Falcon because it didn’t meet the state’s required environmental performance score for passenger cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I6DOHC
What I can't understand is the basis of the Federal Governments "Green Vehicle Guide" and how it establishes overall vehicle ratings.

http://www.greenvehicleguide.gov.au
Just followed this up to satisfy my own curiosity and got this back from the GVG website:

Quote:

The Air Pollution rating of 6.5 means that the Falcon is certified to the minimum standard in Australia (Euro 4) and does not have type approval test results low enough to satisfy the GVG’s low emission benchmark (called “Beyond Euro 6”) which is set at 35% of the Euro 4 emission limits for HC, NOx and PM (PM only relevant for diesels and DI petrol engines). A rating of 8.5 on Air Pollution means that a vehicle has satisfied that benchmark, as the Commodore does. This benchmark is not an official certification requirement, but a way for the GVG to give recognition to vehicles with a level of emissions performance which is much better than the minimum standard.

The Commodore (as well as the LPG Falcon, Aurion & Hybrid Camry) are also formally certified to the minimum Euro 4 standard, but have submitted type approval numbers as part of the certification process which satisfy the 35% of Euro 4 benchmark necessary to be awarded the 8.5 Air Pollution rating.
Seems like a missed opportunity to me. I would have thought this box would have been ticked prior to bringing the EcoBoost to market...seems a sure fire way to lock yourself out of the potential market you are aiming for (ie Govco fleets).
Old 17-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #45
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Diesel would have been a game-changer for Falcon and Falcon ute.

absolutely ! it would of sent them broke within a week of its release ! diesels are for ships .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #46
V8UTE

Is the reason it doesnt meet the air pollution rating because it hasn't been tested amd doesnt have results for approval or has it been tested and it doesn't meet the requirements.
V8UTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #47
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yikes, a shame because its a decent engine and still a nice car.

Its just not popular with the current buyers market as its too large and well its not a SUV or 'cool'

If i had the money i would buy them all in a heartbeat.
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #48
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

It might be timely to remember that until recently, 75% of Falcon manufactured were to fleets.
so all the finger pointing about lack of advertising is lost on fleet managers but now that Fords fleet buyers
have now moved onto other products, maybe it's time that Ford started looking at and listening to private buyers.

Yeah, start listening to what those people want instead of repackaging failed fleet sales attempts..

Last edited by jpd80; 17-07-2012 at 05:06 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #49
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
It might be timely to remember that until recently, 75% of Falcon manufactured were to fleets.
so all the finger pointing about lack of advertising is lost on fleet managers but now that Fords fleet buyers
have now moved onto other products, maybe it's time that Ford has started looking at private buyers.

Maybe it's high time to start listening to what those people want instead of repackaging failed fleet sales attempts..

Are you crazy? Actually listen to buyers???

With a massive shift of private buyers away from large cars, into high-content small cars and CUVs, Ford cancelled local C1 platform production (includes Focus & Kuga).

When the Holden Sportwagon outsold every SUV on release, Ford decides to cancel the Falcon wagon.

When Commodore reached record proportion of V8 sales over 6, Ford decides to cancel the XR8.

Ford continually having chronic shortages of Mondeo diesel and couldnt give the 4 cylinder petrol ones away - they decide on making a 4 cylinder petrol Falcon instead of diesel.

I doubt Ford have the capacity to listen.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #50
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That is true, maybe if they bought the Wagon and V8s back.
Old 17-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #51
I6DOHC

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8UTE
Is the reason it doesnt meet the air pollution rating because it hasn't been tested amd doesnt have results for approval or has it been tested and it doesn't meet the requirements.
It's a bit hard to work out based on the reply I got back from the Green Vehicle Guide web site, however I take it that they have tested it and it didn't make the grade.

Probably needs someone from Ford to comment on that though.

I would have thought this motor (which is basically being plugged into other platforms globally) is at least capable of Euro V and beyond...probably just a matter of it hasn't been done yet. I'm only guessing.
Old 17-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #52
JG34JA

Is it too early to tell? Any one with odds that Ecoboost will eventually meet the other midsize 4cyl cars in price, as has been suggested as blasphemy before in these threads?
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #53
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They need a bigger twin turbo version.
Old 17-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #54
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:

With a massive shift of private buyers away from large cars, into high-content small cars and CUVs, Ford cancelled local C1 platform production (includes Focus & Kuga)..
Listen to your self,
before the collapse of Falcon sales 75% were to fleets,
the remaining 25% is what's left...mostly private buyers.
It's that core of buyers that Ford has to now work with .....

Quote:
I doubt Ford have the capacity to listen
They listen all right, especially when the sales don't come...
Old 17-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #55
JG34JA

Quote:

With a massive shift of private buyers away from large cars, into high-content small cars and CUVs, Ford cancelled local C1 platform production (includes Focus & Kuga).

When the Holden Sportwagon outsold every SUV on release, Ford decides to cancel the Falcon wagon.

When Commodore reached record proportion of V8 sales over 6, Ford decides to cancel the XR8.

Ford continually having chronic shortages of Mondeo diesel and couldnt give the 4 cylinder petrol ones away - they decide on making a 4 cylinder petrol Falcon instead of diesel.

I doubt Ford have the capacity to listen.
Devastating critique. This buyer wants a wagon, thank goodness the Territory exists.

As an aside, if you were to tally the 3 box vehicles (sedans) vs the 2 box vehicles, (wagon, hatchback, SUV's) for private vehicles, which sells more today? I reckon it would be the 2 boxes - to add to this, Toyota is about to re-introduce it's Corolla wagon...
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #56
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
+1

Call them all Falcon, a sub-designation to indicate variants.

Cant for the life of me understand why the G6 isnt a Titanium, everything else in the Ford range that's up-spec is. People might know what it is then...
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #57
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would be happy for now if Ford concentrated on increasing Territory sales,
that appears to be what the market really wants......
Old 17-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #58
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG34JA
Devastating critique. This buyer wants a wagon, thank goodness the Territory exists.
But if you dont want an SUV? If I'm going to buy a 4wd, it may as well be a decent offroader.. the Terri isnt that, not that it ever tried to be.

You could tell Ford didnt care about the wagon market when they continued to sell something that basically looked like an EA more than a decade after that model disappeared. Little wonder noone else took it seriously.

The laughable thing is... the wagon at one point probably sold as much as all Falcons do now, and even then it wasnt considered worthy of further investment.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #59
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Whether Ford is 'listening to' the market seems irrelevant to me. The market
has been saying for quite some time that is doesn't really want the Ford
Falcon anymore, for whatever reason. The market has swung to smaller cars
like the Mazda 3 and the trendy SUV's.

Some points or theories that seem apparent to me are:

- Ford would have great difficulty selling a 4 cylinder version of the
somewhat 'out of favour' Falcon at a 6 cylinder price.... How well did
the 4 cylinder Commodore sell all those years ago?
- My guess is that a diesel Falcon would have been worse, as it would have
been more expensive again
- It is a monumental %^#*up by Ford that these gov. green emissions
standards/fleet criteria are not met by the 4 banger

Sorry to the hopefuls, but I truly believe that the Falcon is soon to be
gone altogether as their sales turnaround does not look likely at all.
Geez.... the only car in the whole line up now that actually wears a Falcon
badge is the FGII XT. That presents like a name phase-out tactic to me.

All may not be lost, as the Ecoboost 4 seems like a great motor, well
developed for Australia, so it may make its way into other products eh !
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #60
Falcman0o7
Banned

A non forum member....

"Whats an Ecoboost....."

or

"na they don't make 4 cylinder falcons!"
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post