Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-04-2007, 09:12 AM   #31
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive found the best thing to do with tyres is do your homework thoroughly first and make your mind up on what you want BEFORE hand... then just shop on price, 99% of tyre joints recommend to sell on what they make the best margin on...
Ive never had a good experience when i've bought "blindly".
There's a joint opposite Brentford sq that is just as bad, i'll never shop there again.

Old 20-04-2007, 09:49 AM   #32
BIGBIRD
GO ON GIVE IT SOME!!

Hi guys, the link to this thread has been passed onto me by a mate. I work for the TTF Group and im really not impressed by their review.
The majority of stores are franchised and to be perfectly honest there are a few stores that we do not like to be associated with, they put a bad name on all of us.
Some stores have been taken over as company stores again (have had the franchisees kicked out) and I hope their service has improved.
All that said, if there is still any issues you guys need looked at, please PM me the store it happened at, the salesperson involved, the date and the invoice number if you have it.
BIGBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2007, 10:25 AM   #33
Perun
SSith Lord

There's a good article in the current issue of Motor in p140. Shows you how tyre dealers really work, and it's a good insight in the industry for someone who doesn't get to see the behind-the-scenes workings of it.

Stuff like this is hardly surprising because the industry is full of unscrupulous salesmen who are in it for the $$$ right there and then. Once the customer drives out, it's no longer their concern and they'll probably move on to another store/job in 6 months' time anyway.

The problem is that the industry culture breeds the culture. It's less work to be shonky and unscrupulous than to do your job properly, and the kids entering the industry at the bottom level are learning from these people. The gov't really needs to regulate the tyre industry but it's too much work for them too. I mean, a mechanic needs a licence, why doesn't the tyre man? An engine in need of a service generally can't kill people, but bad/worn out tyres can.

/tyre rant
Perun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2007, 10:45 AM   #34
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprjenkins
I had this friend of a friend who works at TTF in Mitcham. So I go down there, expecting mates rates,

SO hes not actually your mate, but you EXPECT mates rates, then get ****ed off when you dont get the royal treatment.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2007, 10:56 AM   #35
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
I'm not going to mention the VL that was stripped of it performance parts aver night whilst sitting in Dandenong TTF.

Damn i heard about that and thought the person telling me was yanking my chain!
Old 20-04-2007, 11:09 AM   #36
FPVWEPN
Team Urinal Cake Racing

Well over the 4 years that i have owned cars I've only ever been to TTF stores for a range of things like brakes, tyres, alignment, suspension etc.. and have only good experiences from them. Especially at the South Melbourne store where i rocked up at 5pm (closing time) to get rims put on my old ef and the boys stayed back till 6pm and finished it!!! They could have easily said come back tomorrow but they did it and i was rapt!! In terms of customer sevice and friendliness i have no complaints at all
FPVWEPN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2007, 11:14 AM   #37
MKIITurbo

I don't recall anyone having a good experince with TTF. I too had an issue with the monkeys in the Thomastown store. Never again!
MKIITurbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2007, 11:23 AM   #38
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
There's a joint opposite Brentford sq that is just as bad, I'll never shop there again.
I live just around the corner from that one 4V and i wouldn't use them in a fit. I now got to tough tyres in Ferntree gully and i cant talk highly enough of them. Good price good service and best of all the guys there all own classic cars, and know how to treat people.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2007, 11:26 AM   #39
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
I live just around the corner from that one 4V and i wouldn't use them in a fit. I now got to tough tyres in Ferntree gully and i cant talk highly enough of them. Good price good service and best of all the guys there all own classic cars, and know how to treat people.
Funny you should say that! ive gone there too and found them excellent for help, and especially stuff for classics too!

Old 20-04-2007, 11:34 AM   #40
BJ
Banned

Well there you go.

post #3662
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2007, 11:41 AM   #41
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77
SO hes not actually your mate, but you EXPECT mates rates, then get ****ed off when you dont get the royal treatment.
Well he did tell he me was going to give me mates rates and look after me, so I think its fair enough if I go in there expecting that.

-Mathematicians have found that due to the excessive amount of women Chuck Norris has slept with, it is guaranteed that he appears in your family tree a minimum of three times

-Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He waits.

-Chuck Norris once worked as a weatherman for the San Diego evening news. Every night he would make the same forecast: Partly Cloudy with a 75% chance of Pain.
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2007, 01:57 PM   #42
pHaT`eL
Banned

Dandenong TTF screwed me around. Only reason I went there is because they were the only place that had something I liked for pre-AU.
I ordered a set of ANZ Mayhems in 18's and they said probably about a 2 or 3 week wait, so I waited, and waited, and waited.
Dropped in about 2 months later and Ohh, we got them in ages ago, we'll go grab them for you and put them on.
I wait around 5 hours and my car comes out with 17's, no tyre shine and what looked like cut springs. My car looked too high, so they lowered it for me for free! Haha!!
Theres a new one in Seaford too. I went there looking for GTP's only to be told they werent available for my car, but they would look into finding some.
Left there, went to Quickfit up the road, they got some in the next day with tyres and wheel alignment.
I popped in to TTF on the way home and showed them my new rims, they didnt look too pleased
pHaT`eL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2007, 03:15 PM   #43
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ

post #3662
Hmm.. Damn. LOL

Old 20-04-2007, 08:24 PM   #44
buickman
buickman

[
Quote:
QUOTE=sprjenkins]Yeah no offence to anyone working at any of The Tyre Factories, but I also had real crap service at the one in Bayswater now I think about it, didn't want to sell my girlfriend what she wanted, only what they wanted to give her. So general rule, go somewhere else.
[/QUOTE]

I experienced bad service there as well & the whole place looked shifty with the sales guys trying to flog me some crap tyre instead of what I wanted
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2007, 08:29 PM   #45
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Even before getting behind the wheel of a car, I knew somebody in High School who worked at and was great mates with somebody from TTF in Dandy. As soon as I heard that, I knew that the business would not be a great one.

The person I went to SC with did drugs (which he openly talked about), stole, vandalised etc. so frankly I made up my mind back then.

AVOID at all costs.

So if I want tyres, I'll go elsewhere.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2007, 08:35 PM   #46
xe_302
Starter Motor

Hey philstog,
Ive got some news for you but TTF in Thomastown are as bad as the others. I went the with a flat that and handed it to them to repair. I left my number with them incase their was a problem. I went their 2hrs later to pick up my fixed puntucre and they had me the rim tyre and tube and said it was illegal. When is it illegal to put a tube in a tyre. They wanted to sell me another tyre that was not even close to the one i had. I told them where to put their replacement tyre and walked out, im glad other customers their heard me raising me voice and looked at the staff behind the counter.
Then theirs the story of them bust the wheel studs on a mates Corolla. Ill save that one for another day.
addison.
xe_302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2007, 08:55 PM   #47
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Pffffft

Can't believe this is still happening......... :

Another bad vote for the MITCHAM mob. Tried to sell me illegal import YOKOHAMA tyres many years ago. I rang Yoky head office to get more info on this whiz bang tyre only to find myself answering 100 quick questions about where these tyres were located and who was trying to sell em............

Try WIDETREAD tyres in FerntreeGully..........they know their stuff and won't push you in the wrong direction. As others have said though, DO YOUR RESEARCH and HOMEWORK first and then shop around for the best deal on the tyre YOU HAVE CHOSEN.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2007, 08:58 PM   #48
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tyre fitters are the bottom in the food chain of auto repairers.
How do you know if you have illegal import tyres?
I have these on my car and I have been told they are "exclusive" to Tempe Tyres in Australia:
http://www.goodyear.ca/catalog/products/EAGF1GS.html
I bought them with my polished B45 Simmons for $3K all up. Had to get a damaged one replaced which cost me $160 which I reckon is good value for a 244/45/16 tyre with a Z rating.

Last edited by GXL078; 20-04-2007 at 09:07 PM.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2007, 09:03 PM   #49
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I've never been to these guys and I've had crap service too. So put me down as well
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2007, 11:16 PM   #50
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

I have never read a thread before bagging a company where so many were in agreement. I will steer wide of TTF. Thanks for advice.
Old 20-04-2007, 11:35 PM   #51
XR6TickfordBoy
Now XR8TickfordBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBIRD
The majority of stores are franchised and to be perfectly honest there are a few stores that we do not like to be associated with, they put a bad name on all of us.
I bought my latest set of wheels from Dandy TTf and I couldn't find their number in any TTF ads or online! I was happy with the wheels but I had to wait for 4 hours out the front and they didn't have any lock nuts and didn't have "time" to do a wheel alignment. So they put a set of lock nuts that were too short and said they would replace them when the correct one's come in. Came back the next week when they said they would have the lock nuts but no, few days, still no lock nuts. Then when they finally had the lock nuts all they had to do was put them on, but the key for the lock nuts wasn't in my car as I didn't even think about it when I first picked it up, so of course they obviously never put it in my car! All that was left was a wheel alignment but once again i had to wait 3 hours for that! There is alot more to this story and im going quite easy on them!
Another vote for Bob-Jane at Fountain Gate and also the ABS brake place behind it, both top businesses that focus on customer service and value.

I warn anyone do not use TTF (Dandenong atleast) unless you've got a spare month to be stuffed around in!
EF XR8- Respray in Monza Red with Clear Coat, Custom Rear Bar, AU V8, EL GT MAF, Rebuilt and Strengthened Auto with Stage 2 Shift Kit, 2,500RPM Stallie and tranny cooler, Rebuilt Diff with 4.11 Gears, Custom Radiator, King Ultra Lows, Pedders Shocks, NL Concorde Rims.
XR6TickfordBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2007, 11:40 PM   #52
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

Sounds like the age ol story, pay peanuts and you'll end up hiring monkeys,
I would bet thats exactly the case with this tff mob, there are plenty of other francies and company owned tyre shops that would be more than happy to have you business, let your feet do the talking.

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 12:25 AM   #53
BomberXR

Dumb mate of mine got convinced by TTF Sunshine to fit new tyres with 18 inch rims to his VW Bora (rubbed on inside wheel arches) even though the biggest suitable were 17's. Now after his last service at VW dealership, new brake rotors went on and rims can't fit over them so he had to put on steel VW rims so he could drive! Apparently they are looking for a solution but I don't know how....told him to go to Nth Sunshine Tyrepower for a good deal but he got screwed over by TTF instead :
BomberXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 01:08 AM   #54
ED turbo (mickmalta)
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

TTF Seaford is somewhere I wont shop.

The manager is an impatient slob who is more interested in selling what he's trying to **** off rather than what you need.

In the past i have dealth with bob jayne and steve's wheels & tyres (brunswick & sunshine) no hassles there.

1984 Pontiac trans am

Gone but not forgotten: 1993 Falcon futura turbo.
ED turbo (mickmalta) is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 01:10 AM   #55
ThoR_
Holdens Fall Apart!

Ive used the Tyre Factory in perth and i was discusted my wheels where not even straight. There a pac of dogs
Old 21-04-2007, 01:15 AM   #56
Daniel
F6 - with sugar on top

the bad: i cannot explain how bad the service was i got from TTF in dandenong..

the good: I cannot explain how good the service and quality is from bob jane fountain gate!

i read a few people say the same thing above, obviously a trend there.
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 10:15 AM   #57
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED turbo (mickmalta)
steve's wheels & tyres (brunswick & sunshine) no hassles there.
Agree, Never had a problem here either.
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 10:49 AM   #58
J.O

I had a run in with the W@#*ERS at Dandenong TTF with my sisters 86 Laser hatchback. The place was practically empty, workers sort of bumming around and it took them just over two hours to change the tyres and when i asked them to put one of the better ones as the spare they didn't even bother, leaving the badly worn in the boot and keeping the four better ones. They completely trashed the hub caps. I got a bit of payback though, when one of them was checking the tyre in the boot. The struts weren't in the best working order and as he lent in the whole lot came down on him... he wasn't very happy, as you can imagine if you've ever had an entire hatchback lid fall on you, especially with that locking mechanism *OUCH*. The car has never let anyone down and looks like it was watching out for us then too. ahhh karma :
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2007, 04:54 PM   #59
ThoR_
Holdens Fall Apart!

Joondalup Tyre Factory are dogs stay away. Pricks
Old 22-04-2007, 05:22 PM   #60
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I've dealt with TTF in Mitcham on about 5 separate occasions. Once for a set of rims and other times for new tyres. Never had a problem with them. I also had my previous car fitted with 18s and lowered at the Dandenong store and found the service to be superb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post