Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #31
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Ecoboost review in Wheels magazine. Big thumbs up!

Americans don't hate diesels, the cost of petrol and diesel is much less making higher levels of fuel economy less concerning
If all gos to plan, the new Transit over there will have the 3.7 V6 as well as a federalized I-5 diesel .

It's the cost of meeting US EPA emissions that stop diesel dead in its tracks, the present pricing estimates
for an I-4 TDCI with urea exhaust after treatment systems at around $4,000, Ecoboost is $500-$1,000
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2012, 11:18 PM   #32
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Can't me as a moron then!! I'd choice EB over LPG any day..

Face FACTS, private buyers dont want LPG!!! Even fleet buyers dont want them!!
The funny thing is EcoLPi is being built in numbers at more than 3-4 times greater than Ecoboost, I don't know if Ecoboost has any form of supply issue or what but single figure build numbers per day isn't a good sign.

But then again what do Ford expect, they don't advertise a product and then probably wonder why it fails.

Ford Sales and Marketing = FAIL.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2012, 12:56 AM   #33
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

give it time , word of mouth takes a while to generate sales .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #34
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The funny thing is EcoLPi is being built in numbers at more than 3-4 times greater than Ecoboost, I don't know if Ecoboost has any form of supply issue or what but single figure build numbers per day isn't a good sign.
The initial order from Ford Europe was for 2,000 units or thereabouts which Grziano indicated
would be built this year, so over an eight month period that would be around 8 to 10 a day..
Which sounds about right compared to your EcoLPI build rates.

It's certainly sounds like Ford doesn't expect Ecoboost sales to be on Fire....

Bottom Line:
I-6 sales are the heart and soul of Falcon production, without them the future is grim indeed.
Sad but FoA is building a great car that the market seems to no longer want...
Old 19-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #35
vbvbvb088
vbvbvb088

Bog standard Holden that was quickest thru witches hats.... VC Commodore 4-cylinder. JB Camira SL manual just pipped it but no one cares. Interesting to see if this one fastest Falcon as well....
vbvbvb088 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #36
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

No wonder a heap of people started another forum....

Can't have one positive topic about a Falcon without it being turned into a Ford bashing thread...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #37
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
The initial order from Ford Europe was for 2,000 units or thereabouts which Grziano indicated
would be built this year, so over an eight month period that would be around 8 to 10 a day..
Which sounds about right compared to your EcoLPI build rates.

It's certainly sounds like Ford doesn't expect Ecoboost sales to be on Fire....

But based on 8-9 per day on a 4 day week, that barely equals half of that. A bit over 1000 for the rest of the year.
Old 19-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #38
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
But based on 8-9 per day on a 4 day week, that barely equals half of that. A bit over 1000 for the rest of the year.
Perhaps Ford is not prepared to build any more than that until buyer demand is there..
Old 19-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #39
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Perhaps Ford is not prepared to build any more than that until buyer demand is there..
But thats the worry, if they aren't prepared to advertise how do they expect to get those customers, a tiny bit of word of mouth can only do so much.

Its like they will build them, but not bother really going out and selling them. Its a really bad sign when you spend 10's of millions of dollars bringing a product to market but aren't prepared to put the effort in to make the public aware that your new product exists. Its like they have set it up for failure before it even starts.

Its deeply concerning, like they are just going through the motions to keep the place turning over just enough until they can pull the plug.

From a company with such a proud and successful past its such a shame.
Old 19-05-2012, 09:52 PM   #40
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
But thats the worry, if they aren't prepared to advertise how do they expect to get those customers, a tiny bit of word of mouth can only do so much.

Its like they will build them, but not bother really going out and selling them. Its a really bad sign when you spend 10's of millions of dollars bringing a product to market but aren't prepared to put the effort in to make the public aware that your new product exists. Its like they have set it up for failure before it even starts.

Its deeply concerning, like they are just going through the motions to keep the place turning over just enough until they can pull the plug.

From a company with such a proud and successful past its such a shame.
I'll say it a different way,
Ford is building a brilliant large car product but has allowed a huge disconnect to develop with buyers

Look closely and you'll see how Ford is actually abandoning the fleet Falcon business case and falling back to retail sales.
Ford may well continue building Falcons until 2014 and beyond but getting buyers to commit is becoming harder..
All they can do is hang on and get whatever sales they can and pray that the market eventually turns positive..
Old 19-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #41
prydey
Rob

what i find sad is that someone who works at ford in some capacity is turning into one of the biggest knockers on a 'fan' forum.

perhaps a job at fishermens bend might suit better, or toyota. actually toyota only shift 600 or so aurions so that would end in the same responses.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #42
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
what i find sad is that someone who works at ford in some capacity is turning into one of the biggest knockers on a 'fan' forum.

perhaps a job at fishermens bend might suit better, or toyota. actually toyota only shift 600 or so aurions so that would end in the same responses.
Like all of us the frustration is maddening, you try being there and watching it die a death by a thousand cuts...it would not be easy.

Sometime the truth hurts. Ford have IMO the best product in most segments but cant seem to really get numbers like the others. So do you sit there and accept it or try and do something about it.

Sitting there = yes yes men..that kills companies.

Sure talking on a forum mightnt change much but its a start, and better than sitting on your hands.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #43
prydey
Rob

i guess it depends on the individuals expectations. if you took note of the federal budget, it is clear the government expect ford to still be manufacturing here until at least 2016. ford have also stated as much.

the large car segment is smaller. ford have stated they still want to be a part of it. people love to compare to commodore but often, as a percentage, they are on the same slide, sometimes worse.

sometimes i think ford are the realistic ones and the fans are unrealistic.

people go on about marketing, but name one other manufacturer that markets details regarding the engines etc. falcon advertising is out there. they are a lot more target specific now. i think they are well aware of who will buy their products.

how many times do i read on here, 'if ford made x car, i would buy it yesterday'!! and yet they are content to drive around in 10yr old cars even though ford have produced much better cars every year since.

some will never be happy and ranting and raving on a forum only adds to the problem.
Old 19-05-2012, 11:19 PM   #44
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
people go on about marketing, but name one other manufacturer that markets details regarding the engines etc. falcon advertising is out there. they are a lot more target specific now. i think they are well aware of who will buy their products.
I don’t think I've heard anyone say "we need more DETAILED marketing", we are saying "we need marketing"!! At this stage I'd be happy with a billboard, radio add or paper add that says something about Ecoboost. People don’t need details, but they need to know the product is there at the very very least. Apart from a youtube clip ford has done NOTHING to market this product. Just not good enough for a product at the start of it product life cycle!! Like seriously, how can you (or anyone) defend Ford in this case?
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2012, 11:27 PM   #45
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Like seriously, how can you (or anyone) defend Ford in this case?
very easily. unlike many, i'm a true ford fan. i don't turn my back when the chips are down. i don't start critisizing when things aren't going well. i stick by them. the products are very good. i believe they aren't some 2 bit company that has no clue. i think some (many) think that because they don't do things how they think they should.
Old 20-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #46
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
very easily. unlike many, i'm a true ford fan. i don't turn my back when the chips are down. i don't start critisizing when things aren't going well. i stick by them. the products are very good. i believe they aren't some 2 bit company that has no clue. i think some (many) think that because they don't do things how they think they should.
I true Ford fan does not mean you can't have an opionin. After all is your wife/ girl always right?
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #47
prydey
Rob

Quote:
After all is your wife/ girl always right?
i'm not walking in to that one
Old 20-05-2012, 09:25 AM   #48
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Even at current sales levels, local Ford production is around $1.5 billion/year revenue stream,
with no replacement products in the wings, it's pretty obvious that Ford must keep building them.
It's still valuable revenue to them and the pizzly $50 million tip in at 2014 is really a trifling amount
in the great sense of things. Yes, we might be seeing a production wind down but the locals aren't gone yet...
Old 20-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #49
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Let's be a little bit understanding here, Boss has lived for years with the specter of his job at Ford being extinguished.

If I were in his shoes, I probably feel the same anger and frustration in perceived missed opportunities,
remembering that unlike the rest of us he has to live and breathe the Ford mantra every day and swallow low sales.
That to him and his colleagues must be a real kick in the guts knowing they are producing quality products.
Old 20-05-2012, 09:50 AM   #50
prydey
Rob

on the other hand, word of mouth should never be underestimated. comments on public forums are there for all to see, including those doing a little online research about their next car.

the constant negativity and insinuations that ford is doomed in australia wouldn't go unnoticed.

the product is a great product and too many people assume that because they don't see ads in their world that nothing is being done. they assume that because the people they contact don't know much about it that no one does. assumptions are the mother of all stuff ups.
Old 20-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #51
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
on the other hand, word of mouth should never be underestimated. comments on public forums are there for all to see, including those doing a little online research about their next car.

the constant negativity and insinuations that ford is doomed in australia wouldn't go unnoticed.

the product is a great product and too many people assume that because they don't see ads in their world that nothing is being done. they assume that because the people they contact don't know much about it that no one does. assumptions are the mother of all stuff ups.
Yes, newer products are doing better business through social media advertising.
The large car market is changing, much more rapidly than Ford and Holden anticipated,
Nothing much Ford and Holden can do about that, just sell what they can

As for negative postings affecting sales, most people are literate enough to discern utter frustration
from outright bagging of a product. Those that do any research on potential car purchases usually limit
their surfing to Drive, GoAuto , Motor and Wheels. Those commentaries are of more significance than the
ramblings of a few disgruntled employees on this site. Sometimes we take ourselves and our posts too seriously.......Me included.

Every time I see a nice new SZ Territory or FG II, I smile and think there goes another one...
Old 20-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #52
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

jpd80 ..I see a lot more Euro Fords and Tezza's than FG2's...FG2's are as rare as rocking horse poop!!!!
Old 20-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #53
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
jpd80 ..I see a lot more Euro Fords and Tezza's than FG2's...FG2's are as rare as rocking horse poop!!!!
everyone's world is different. you don't see many, others see more. its all relative.
Old 20-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #54
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

I'm fairly connected at ford and can tell you that those that I know and deal with have a very different outlook on their future and don't have the same concerns as those expressed on the forum. Obviously there are two distinct division at FoA, R&D and manufacturing. It's not hard to see who feel more at risk, rightly or wrongly, but it's a natural expression of emotion, especially when media, the public are all pretty much calling for the end of our manufacturing industry.

Unfortunately Ford just can't come out and give all the answers yet.

In terms if seeing fg2's, I see quite a lot out there.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #55
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
I'm fairly connected at ford and can tell you that those that I know and deal with have a very different outlook on their future and don't have the same concerns as those expressed on the forum. Obviously there are two distinct division at FoA, R&D and manufacturing. It's not hard to see who feel more at risk, rightly or wrongly, but it's a natural expression of emotion, especially when media, the public are all pretty much calling for the end of our manufacturing industry.

While Holden has come out and committed to remaining a local manufacturer for the next decade and
also the commitment to building VF Commodore until 2017 or thereabouts, the latter is a gutsy move
in the face of current flagging sales for large cars. I can understand why Ford is taking an eternity to
reveal its future plan, the market has changed so much and it's important to really understand what it
is that customers really want, we know the large car segment is reducing but it's also fair to ask if that
is truly linked to other vehicle segments being better or just our large cars drifting away from size or
features expected by buyers..

I think Ford knows what it wants but need to get its ducks in a row before revealing too much...
Until any decision is announced all attention should be on locally built Falcon, Territory, and utility.

Last edited by jpd80; 20-05-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 20-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #56
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

FG2 is just brilliant. Bang for buck nothing comes close at the moment.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #57
prydey
Rob

Quote:
I'm fairly connected at ford and can tell you that those that I know and deal with have a very different outlook on their future and don't have the same concerns as those expressed on the forum.
^this is why you should never believe everything you read in the media or make assumptions based on vfacts data.
Old 20-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #58
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

EcoBoost #1 again!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #59
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
EcoBoost #1 again!
many will say advertising on v8's is irrelevant but i bet they get splashed across the screen on the 6 oclock news for all to see. sure, many might turn off when the sport news comes on but many might not also. its all part of exposure.
Old 20-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #60
4stanger