Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-04-2006, 07:11 PM   #31
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

off topic sorry ^^ HAWK i love the avatar

be a shame to see them go as i own an NL and love LWB but business is business and if it isnt viable then they dont care about the die hard fans.....

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 09:07 AM   #32
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

a little on topic I guess...

Last night we got picked up in a Statesman taxi...damn thats some good leg room! Has ALOT more than the current Fairlane.

But that green dash nearly made me puke!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 09:26 AM   #33
niko
likes falcon's

new fairlanes are nice. u can easily distinguish them from the *** end, fronts look similar though
Old 15-04-2006, 09:31 AM   #34
NZ
~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
new fairlanes are nice. u can easily distinguish them from the *** end, fronts look similar though
Are you joking? The only giveaway looking from the back is the slightly larger ford badge in the centre of the boot lid vs the ford badge up a bit higher on non LWB cars.

To anyone who didn't already know they wouldn't beable to pick the difference.

"the man that crashs AFF"
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 09:34 AM   #35
LUXO_8
windsor user

fairlanes and LTD's definatley need the full width lights / boot garnish - its been a distinguishing feature of the fairlane since wayyyy back

if ford cant be arsed doing that, they at LEAST need the reverse lights by the numberplate.. and the space where the reverse light is in the tail light cluster should have another indicator......

also, it could do with better badging, like the big arsed Fairlane and LTD badge on the NC Fairlane / DC LTD

would at least look a little different to how it is now.....
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 09:42 AM   #36
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They should have larger wheels, sports suspension, and different front and rear exclusive to the fairlane range.
All this talk about boss 290's and turbo's in them.. come on.. like that would sell. They usually are bought by older men and fleet customers. I think the G8 model would sell a bit better with the boss 260 at least, instead of the barra 230.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 09:48 AM   #37
LUXO_8
windsor user

ford are really missing out on a bit of a niche market..... look at the grange... you see a fair few of them around so they obviously sell....

an FPV fairlane would be good sense. even if just a marketing excercise for 1 model only to test the waters.....
sports interior, bit of a kit, GT driveline...oooh yeah

also, the supercharged 6 used to sell pretty well in the stato's, a turbo Fairlane would fit right in..... in my opinion
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 10:03 AM   #38
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Longest continous running nameplate in history. (Fairlane)
What about VW's Beetle (1939 - 2006) at 67 years... that's longer then Fairlane's 51 years (1955 - 2006).

And yes, would be unfortunate to see the Fairlane/LTD disappear.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 10:21 AM   #39
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The graphical analysis of the LWB segment has been updated and can be found HERE.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 11:59 AM   #40
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Steffo the VW beatle wasnt in continuous production for all of those years though dunno if that has anything to do with the longest running nameplate
i dont think the idea of turbo fairlanes would be a hit neither would a boss 290 but mayb a boss 260 with abit of a kit and something to differenciate it from SWB models i agree with polyal my uncle just bought a WK statesman and the room in the back is in abundance and the styling is very nice caprice even better, also i think the current LWB fords are undertyred they need 17' minimum although i have seen G220/G8 models with 17's (optioned) i do like the look of even the AU fairlane and indeed the newest variety they just need to remove their (grandpa) image to align with its competitors
Old 15-04-2006, 12:09 PM   #41
Barry_v
rocknrolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennAUII
All this talk about boss 290's and turbo's in them.. come on.. like that would sell. They usually are bought by older men and fleet customers.

You dont think power sells? Take a trip back to 1969 to the ZC fairlane. first fairlane to be offered with a 351. It was selling double the combined totals of broughham and VIP. It was so good ford dropped the galaxie in australia.

reason why i think it sold:
-engine options, anything from a 3.3 taxi to a 5.8 4V
-it looked totally different to an XW
-the front. a fairlane should always have a big ИИИИ off grille (300C styles) to tell everyone what it is.

Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 12:15 PM   #42
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

I think a valid point has been made here, whilst the LWB segment is a good one and alot of people like it - it's sales are obviously worsening and personally I believe that if Ford are going to be spending money on R&D they should be spending it on bringing back another Cortina/TX5 (mid-sized) car because I'm betting that's where they can make far more money.
Old 15-04-2006, 12:31 PM   #43
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Some good suggestions, however on a cost basis Ford would be mad to make a massive gamble on differentiating these cars. Yes, the boot should have a different garnish on the rear to compliment the number plate being mounted on the bumper, and badging should be more prominent. Wheels size is fine except for the G8, and LTD wheels need chrome. The G8 should have the 260 Boss, complimented with the XR8 Bonnet, and the LTD and G8 should have an optional turbo 6.

Here's a list of low cost initiatives that Ford could use to pimp the hell out of the BF2.

Ghia
Get rid of the black onyx centre console and replace with faux wood.
Gather the leather on the door trim instead of leaving flat.
Fit more suede material to door trims like NC (to hide all the excess plastic)
Make Interior Display different colour (Not Black or Grey)
Change rear end treatment with a light continuation garnish
Put 6mm Dakron into seat covers before installing
Offer Xenon lights as option (around $400 for the kit)
Offer in Dash DVD as option with TV Tuner (like BMW and Merc)
Return self levelling suspension on the rear (Chauffers hate ford for removing this)
Return Bonnet emblem (not cheap *** badge)
Offer Exclusive colour (like Mercedes Silver/Blue)

G8
Fit Boss 260
Fit XR8 Bonnet
Fit XR8 Suspension (recalibrated of course for heavier weight)
Keep the black onyx centre console but extend it to the clock.
Put 6mm Dakron into seat covers before installing
Fit Xenon lights
Offer Exclusive colours (like XR)
Fit 18" Wheels standard
Fit FPV badge instead of Ford

LTD
Get rid of the black onyx centre console and replace with faux wood.
Fit Faux wood to headlight switch, fuel swithch, rear console etc.
Fit leather to Centre console (like DU2)
Put 15mm Dakron into seat covers, and adjust cover like DU2 before installing, rear LTD seats are dreadful
Put little padded armrests on door trims (like DF, DL and AU)
Fit Xenon lights
Fit LED tail lights
Fit In dash DVD player with TV Tuner(like merc and BMW)
Change rear end treatment with a light continuation garnish different colour to Ghia
Return self levelling suspension on the rear.
Return Bonnet emblem (not cheap *** badge)
Offer Exclusive to LTD colour (like Merc S Class Silver/Blue or BMW 740 green/purple)
Fit Sunroof Standard
Change 17" wheels to chrome ones
Offer Turbo 6 as NCO
Put more prominent badging on the car like the Ghia has it near side indicators, and like the NC DC models had on the rear

Those are just some ideas, I believe even a colour just for the LWB models would help differentiate them and give them the kind of boost they need.
BTW, one of the seven LTD guys was me for the BF, I'm trying to do my part.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 12:37 PM   #44
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

With cars like the 300C, and the SRT Version of the 300C with the 6.1L V8 coming, the days for our fairlane are numbered.

Who is going to buy a fairlane when Real Luxo/Sports packages cars have arrived?
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 01:33 PM   #45
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

personally i don't think an XR8 bonnet, 260kw engine, manual option are going to do a lot for the sales of the Fairlane... I don't think they should copy the Grange idea either... the Grange days are over i think (in appeal)... you get the sporty enough feel in the Caprice- it will never be a sports car, and trying to make it that, will take away from what it's supposed to be. All these add on parts are not what prestige luxury car buyers want - they want a car that looks and feels as though it's been a prestige car from the beginning, not a basic car with all these other bits added on to it. Look at the Chrysler 300C - that's what the Fairlane should be like, but with more of a Ford style, not another copy - and definately NOT a bits and pieces car... Seriously, i think they should design it very similar to the Lincoln Town Car
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 02:51 PM   #46
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00VenomXR
Steffo the VW beatle wasnt in continuous production for all of those years though dunno if that has anything to do with the longest running nameplate
Actually, the VW Beetle was in production until 2003 in the old shape, and is the third most sold car of all time after the VW Golf and Toyota Corolla, with a total sales number of 21,529,464. And then there's New Beetle production and sales on top of that....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Beetle
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 03:23 PM   #47
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The problem is that the numbers don't add up enough to justify the development costs. Even if Ford could match the numbers of the Statesman by spending a heap of money on them 200 sales a month isn't going to earn those dollars back in a hurry. At least Holden sell enough Statesman/Caprice in the Middle East to justify the development dollars, something Ford doesn't have the luxury of. VE Statesman will just put the nail in the coffin as they have spent big dollars on it to increase sales in the ME.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 04:28 PM   #48
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation

And Dodge is also coming !!!!
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 05:12 PM   #49
devilracer_01
Sleeping Beast

I'd like to see the return of a XR6/XR8 Wagon.

Fairlanes/LTD's lose alot of value in the first couple of years I guess alot of people wait and then by them for nearly half their new price.
devilracer_01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2006, 04:38 AM   #50
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

P5 sales - approx 7900
P6 sales - approx 5900

Current LTD sales - approx bugger all. Why? No government contracts. Back in the 70's and 80's Ford sold their LTD's to the state and Federal governments, hence the large sales numbers. Now, all pollies are driven around in Caprice's.

Effectively, businessmen buy good quality prestige limos, Fairlanes & LTD's are now not good quality. Governments are kind of forced to buy local and now they prefer the Holdens.

Simple!
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2006, 08:09 AM   #51
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paull
Effectively, businessmen buy good quality prestige limos, Fairlanes & LTD's are now not good quality. Governments are kind of forced to buy local and now they prefer the Holdens.

Simple!
I disagree with the not good quality comment. The current Fairlanes and LTDs are better cars than the equivalent Holdens. The main problem is the unappealing styling left over from the AU based LWB models. If these Fords looked good they'd be selling more of them.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2006, 01:23 PM   #52
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
I disagree with the not good quality comment. The current Fairlanes and LTDs are better cars than the equivalent Holdens. The main problem is the unappealing styling left over from the AU based LWB models. If these Fords looked good they'd be selling more of them.

FF
Sorry, gotta dis-agree on that one. I was recently going to lease a 2 to 3 year old G220/LTD. I found that the build quality of the cars that I was looking at, including XR8's and Fairmonts was pretty average. For example, broken hood latches, loose console lids, decals under bonnet either completely peeled off or just about there, engine covers scratched, small dents in soft panels and overall poor wearing of interiors. I know these comments may seem petty but when you are spending 35 to 40K on a car, you want to find a good one. Admittedly, they don't build cars like they used to but it is just that I was really turned off by the lack of quality in the 2 -3 year old cars. And yes, I was strictly looking at the Ford dealer second hand cars only.

With respect to the relative quality to GMH, pass. I don't know enough about them

Paul
Old 16-04-2006, 01:57 PM   #53
Hawk
I am The Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
off topic sorry ^^ HAWK i love the avatar
Haha, thanks. Mitsubishi's stand did have something attractive this year at the Melb Motor Show!

Woohoo 1.6L 1999 Toyota Corolla....feel the power!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2006, 04:29 PM   #54
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Offer in Dash DVD as option with TV Tuner (like BMW and Merc)
Pointless. Has to turn off once you start moving more then 3kmh, unless its a driver aid likea diag screen, information panel (eg, what it is now) or GPS.

Fact of the matter is, they don't need to do mass amounts of R&D for the cars, they just need to know how to differ them from the current line up without just being what the Futura is to the XT. I do agree with the FPV badgin as most people wouldn't even know it is meant for that market...

We'll see what happens in the next few months I guess....

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2006, 04:48 PM   #55
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you're all still trying to come up with gimmicky features to add on to the car to make it more appealing... it's not about that, as I said. It's about building a luxurious prestige car from the ground up that really stands out.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2006, 05:44 PM   #56
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Let's just face the reality that it would be easier (and potentially less fatal) to courier drugs in Asia than it would be to make a decent car out of the Fairlane and LTD duo.

The slide from favour has been rapid since the ZL/FE and FoA simply don't have the money to retool the thing enough to justify the pitiful volumes in the segment.

I've owned several and have loved every one of them for the sheer excess (in LTD) and the differentation they provided but haven't touched one since ZL/DL days and now take the view that the FC was probably the pick of the more recent ones.

Sad farewell to a model line up that has been around 36 years but they have been allowed to deteriorate to the point where they have little relevance in the current market. Vale.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 04:25 AM   #57
Paull
P6 LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
Let's just face the reality that it would be easier (and potentially less fatal) to courier drugs in Asia than it would be to make a decent car out of the Fairlane and LTD duo.

The slide from favour has been rapid since the ZL/FE and FoA simply don't have the money to retool the thing enough to justify the pitiful volumes in the segment.

I've owned several and have loved every one of them for the sheer excess (in LTD) and the differentation they provided but haven't touched one since ZL/DL days and now take the view that the FC was probably the pick of the more recent ones.

Sad farewell to a model line up that has been around 36 years but they have been allowed to deteriorate to the point where they have little relevance in the current market. Vale.

Russ
Sad but true

Paul
(except the FC bit though - P6 for me :voldar02: )
Old 09-05-2006, 09:53 PM   #58
Falcon Freak
Banned

Latest news

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 08:30 AM   #59
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hate to see the LWBs die. I learned to drive ina ZH(? I think 77 Model anyhow)

I believe the 77-79 Series LTD was the biggest car built in Australia in modern times.

The AU-BA Fairlanes and LTDs are problem cars, they are pretty ugly and the BA series looks like a Falcon. And the LTDs look like Fairlanes.
Using the same lights etc just looks cheap. An when you see a BA series from behind theres this gap between the boot lip and the bumper, looks lunfinished.

Also theres not enough goodies inside, under the bonnet or in the chassis.

THE LTD should be a mobile brothel, every bell whistle etc. Turbo and XR8 engines available.

Mind you in the 70s and 80s tarrifs made euro cars horrendously expensive, so Fairlanes and Stateman were comapritively cheap. These days they arent as mucha bargain, especially compared to luxo 4wds.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 12:30 PM   #60
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and if they used a higher grade of leather so your back didnt end up like you just got home from the beach it would be a bonus!!

and the "premo sound" was a bit more "premo" ie using a top quality brand (eclipse.. alpine..HIGH END pioneer) rather than the cruddy stuff you get now to start with

and definatly would be good to see a more hi po engine in them as they are bigger.. so need the bit more power on tap to compare even to the XT V8 etc