Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-07-2006, 12:46 PM   #31
crusher
Dirty ute club member

Something like this is supposed to be happening in WA sometime. I didnt really pay attention as Ill be off my P's for like 5/6 months or something before they come in to play.

There were also curfews for P platers too. Which is fairly stupid as there are millions of reasons why you need to be driving after 10/12pm during the week and weekend. Some nights I dont finish until 10pm. I dont get home till 11. So does that mean I or others like me should get in trouble for driving home from a job that benefits hundreds of thousands in a capitol city (I work for Transperth :P).

It also means people are just gonna take there P plates down. If they get pulled over, "Sorry my mum/dad/uncle/brother/sister/whatever was driving before and I forgot to put them back up. Ill do that now." And if the cop decided to have a go, it is probably a lesser fine anyway so they wont care.

As many have said, the states/federal govts need some people with brains and balls that arent just going to put in band aid solution.

My 2c for the morning.
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2006, 12:57 PM   #32
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

The blanket banning of cars by their engine type is a ridiculous. Think about the get up and go of a 253 V8 Kingswood versus a Honda S2000 or a Lotus Elise. Or the 45kW turbo 3 pot in the smart fortwo. Car makers, particularly European brands are looking to forced induction the get better power from smaller capacities. What needs to be looked at is power to weight ratio instead.

As for the alcohol interlocks, I think it's a brilliant idea so long as you don't have a sober passenger with you.
Old 20-07-2006, 01:01 PM   #33
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
I can drive a lot better than some fully licenced drivers out there!
That's exactly the attitude that gets a lot of young drivers killed. Skill you might have, lots of experience you don't.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2006, 02:14 PM   #34
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

the zero alcohol rule is a load of ****.

I am 100% anti DRUNK driving. But if you are sober you are sober.. wether you BAC is 0 or 0.05.

I can see the point behind no turbos / SCs or V8s :( but I was devastated when I discovered I wouldnt be allowed to drive my grandpas ZD Fairlane.

As for the young bloke with the XY Clevo... if the Vic laws are anything like the NSW ones... if you can prove you owned the car before the new laws were introduced then you get an exemption. so don't stress too much. You may be able to drive your car after all.

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2006, 04:04 PM   #35
Falcon_Power_06

so if you have you licence and a V8 before these laws come in you wont be affected?.
Falcon_Power_06 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2006, 05:41 PM   #36
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_Power_06
so if you have you licence and a V8 before these laws come in you wont be affected?.
And this is the problem.

It doesn't affect me right now so I don't care.
Maybe it won't affect you fight now but every bad law we have ever had has come is dribs and drabs splitting up the user groups.

If you want to be driving a V8 in five years, start stomping now or you WILL not be happy in the future.

Look what happened in the gun arena.

First it was machine guns were banned and handguns registered.
Then military looking rifles were banned.
Then all guns were registered.
Then pump action and semi auto rifles were banned.
Then magazines with a capacity of more then 10 rounds were banned.
Then handguns over .357 were banned.

Now before some left wing bambi lover comes out and says "This is good because I hates guns and guns kill people and why does anyone want a gun anyway. They are dangerous and do not serve any sensible purpose in a normal society".

There are a VERY large quantity of people in this country who could easily be convinced by propaganda (in the same way as the gun thing) that:

I hate V8s/turbos/performance cars because people get killed by speeding V8s and why would anyone want a fast car anyway, the speed limit is 100km/h. They are dangerous and use too much petrol and do not serve any sensible purpose in a normal society.

We are already seeing the beginnings of this and if WE THE PEOPLE do not stop this now, the WE THE PEOPLE will be looking at the 2015 FEV (Ford Economical Vehicle) FEC GTHO that thrashed rival Holden products to be the first to get below 3l of "ethanol-cow poo gas"/100km while retaining a massive 50kw of power.

Just look at this forum, motosport banned in rural victoria, more speed cameras, villification of hoons (anyone who actually accellerates), pick on P platers (soft target)..........

Over to you guys...., by 2015 I will be 56 and will have many good memories of my performance cars and the fun I got up to, while you young buggers have just got to the stage where you can afford a new GT-P/F6/Clubby and there won't be any......

As with the guns, there was an agenda to ban them, they knew that one big hit would not work so they chipped away.
Now it is cars.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2006, 06:48 PM   #37
Kryton

wait for the day (and yes, it WILL come) when you need to swipe your license and do a breath test BEFORE you can start your car. these items will be built in from the FACTORY to all cars.
laugh all you want but it will get to a point where it will happen.

i dont see any problem with any of these new laws either. if people acted responsibly and didnt drive around like they were on the race track, none of this would have happened.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2006, 07:03 PM   #38
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

in nsw if you owned the car before the law came in your still allowed to drive it. thats why you see p platers with turbos and 8s i know a bloke who bought a vt r8 just before the laws came in here

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2006, 08:21 PM   #39
BlueXr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger
in nsw if you owned the car before the law came in your still allowed to drive it. thats why you see p platers with turbos and 8s i know a bloke who bought a vt r8 just before the laws came in here
yeah thats means i can keep my baby
BlueXr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 11:35 PM   #40
16wantsI6
iRegular crossmember

haha thats pretty good some kid can go buy a ba 182 kw I6 for $15000 that can do 15.5 quarters but cant drive a old 3.5 rover v8 which is like 18 second quarter lol also the falcon can do 220km/h and these old v8 will do about 180km/h

i love the government

5 spd manual
2 1/2" manta S/S exhaust
After market alpine/soundstream stereo

18" tyhpoons
superlows waiting to go in....
spoilerless
16wantsI6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2006, 12:32 AM   #41
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
These laws have been in NSW for ages - though everyday I still see skylines and other turbos with red P's driving around so they dont seem to be enforced.

Zzzzz - sorry, awake now - if they are caught for an offence - then wait and see if they continue to drive 'them'.

Whilst the original post highlights some of the national harmonisation efforts, much criteria within that - remains up to individual states, therefore, again, what applies in The Peoples Republic of Victoria will not necessarily apply outside. The post therefore is relevant to the Mexicans.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2006, 07:17 AM   #42
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its a tough one. More education and training would be a good start. Passenger limits are a great idea I reckon. Let the young fellas drive around by themselves till they've got the experience on the roads without distraction. If you need to carry passengers, then put an experienced , licenced adult next to them. Its only for a couple of years and if you can survive these rules, then you'll be better equiped to cope on the roads these days.
cuz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2006, 12:28 PM   #43
BlueXr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by horangi
Its a tough one. More education and training would be a good start. Passenger limits are a great idea I reckon. Let the young fellas drive around by themselves till they've got the experience on the roads without distraction. If you need to carry passengers, then put an experienced , licenced adult next to them. Its only for a couple of years and if you can survive these rules, then you'll be better equiped to cope on the roads these days.
3 things
1. yes more education is needed defencive driving course etc i know my parents are making me do one because of the car i drive and they teach you some of the skills it takes years to learn

2. i think that passenger restrictions are bullsh it im a chef dont finish work till 1.30am-2.00 am what if i need to drop people off on my way home from work government/greenies are always pushing to car pool

3.its not easy to get a adult to acommpany you at 2.00 in the morning to drop your mates home
BlueXr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2006, 01:51 PM   #44
Brute33
Boss 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRHEMI
Well I like the bit no turbo's - no little rich kids in insanely expensive turbo's with 1000's mods

BUT still not driver training and education in schools - why not you ask - because that will cost the Government Money and they cant obtain fines for people failing......
PEOPLE only fail because they either failed to listen properly or failed to follow a certain set of guidelines or rules. Hence, you are now getting from the government a clear set of rules and guidelines and known consequences if they are broken.
I agree with your notion about the revenue aspect of it, as this government has proved itself on that, and not just on road rules. I don't agree with alot of the current speed camera guidelines, but they are here to stay. We all know what happens if we speed.
Unfortunately, life isn't fair, no matter how old you are. Young people who have no experience in any car of any sort don't deserve to drive a high powered car...END OF STORY.
Thats good for both old and young, wether the youngies realize it or not.

Last edited by Brute33; 22-07-2006 at 01:58 PM. Reason: reworded
Brute33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2006, 02:29 PM   #45
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueXr8
3 things
1. yes more education is needed defencive driving course etc i know my parents are making me do one because of the car i drive and they teach you some of the skills it takes years to learn

2. i think that passenger restrictions are bullsh it im a chef dont finish work till 1.30am-2.00 am what if i need to drop people off on my way home from work government/greenies are always pushing to car pool

3.its not easy to get a adult to acommpany you at 2.00 in the morning to drop your mates home
Passenger restrictions are designed to limit not only the amount of distractions in a car but also to limit the damage in case of an accident.
I've lost count of the number of times that I've heard about a P-plater losing control and crashing, killing themselves and most of the passengers in the early hours of the morning. Wether this is due to alcohol, tiredness or just because they were showing off is irrevelant.
I'm a kiwi and I had to deal with these laws. I also thought that the passenger restrictions were unfair, as I worked late and faced the same problems that you outlined. I also lost a few mates who were either unlucky or drunk. While this was tragic, I wonder how much worse it could have been if they had loaded the car up full of mates at the time.
People die on the roads every day. Young drivers are more likely too because of inexperience. Trying to limit the chance of this happening should be encouraged so that we can all enjoy driving our fords for a longer time.
cuz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2006, 05:22 PM   #46
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is so stupid.

There shouldn't be restrictions on the amount of cyls a car has or how the air is put in it. There should be restrictions on the power to weight ratio.

So according to these new laws you can drive a 192kw N/A xr6 but you can't drive a 142kw 302 cleveland?

How does that work?

I'm still putting a cleveland in my car and I'll still drive it on my P's. I'd rather pay a fine than drive a holden barina around.
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2006, 05:28 PM   #47
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm moving to QLD soon, so I hope it doesn't follow me up. ARGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2006, 06:34 PM   #48
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These laws are rediculous.

I could go and take my old folks BA N/A I6 out for a spin, no worries.. Which has a fair bit a pull for a standard car.

Yet, I wouldn't be allowed to do any mods to an old X-flow to give it a little life? What about exhausts etc? They increase performance (though slightly).

Thank god i'm allready on P's! =P
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2006, 06:39 PM   #49
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by horangi
Passenger restrictions are designed to limit not only the amount of distractions in a car but also to limit the damage in case of an accident.
I've lost count of the number of times that I've heard about a P-plater losing control and crashing, killing themselves and most of the passengers in the early hours of the morning. Wether this is due to alcohol, tiredness or just because they were showing off is irrevelant.
I'm a kiwi and I had to deal with these laws. I also thought that the passenger restrictions were unfair, as I worked late and faced the same problems that you outlined. I also lost a few mates who were either unlucky or drunk. While this was tragic, I wonder how much worse it could have been if they had loaded the car up full of mates at the time.
People die on the roads every day. Young drivers are more likely too because of inexperience. Trying to limit the chance of this happening should be encouraged so that we can all enjoy driving our fords for a longer time.
Whilst I do agree with some of that.. The thing is, the MAJORITY of young people have a desso to take everyone home.. That way at least one is sober and others arrive home safely..

However, I can see a lot more people drink driving now as they'll want to go out with their mates but seens they can't nominate a desso, they'll want to drink anyway.
:baby bott :eclipsee_

EDIT: I just read through that page and it says they have no intention of a passenger limit in Vic?

Last edited by Van D; 24-07-2006 at 07:05 PM.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 09:55 PM   #50
Daniel351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Angry

went todo the Learners test on the Vic Roads website and found this
Important information: Changes to Victoria’s Graduated Licensing System will start to be introduced from 1 July 2007 to help improve the safety of young drivers. The changes will affect anyone wishing to obtain a licence, as well as fully-licensed drivers aged under 26 years - http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne/...256FD300241C12

I was told that P Plate Drivers will not be able to drive V8s after the 1 July 2007, So dose that mean all drivers under 26 years of age have to Drive 6 Cylinder! not thats its a bad thing but theres alot of people under 26 driving V8s!

THE Daily
1994 Ford Falcon ED XR6 Manual
Daniel351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 09:59 PM   #51
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

as far as i know it will only affect people who get their p's after july 1st 2007 (non who got theirs before that date). i got my p's a week ago heh !!
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 10:04 PM   #52
Daniel351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"as well as fully-licensed drivers aged under 26 years" did you read that part?

THE Daily
Old 27-07-2006, 10:07 PM   #53
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

i couldn't care less.. if i owned a v8 i would still drive it... just like there are hoon laws but people still do wheelies... take off fast.... drag !!
Old 27-07-2006, 10:10 PM   #54
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

and besides... nothing stopping someone from making more power than a 351 out of a 6 cyl aspirated
Old 27-07-2006, 10:11 PM   #55
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

This is outrageous.

More examples of the government going after "soft targets" for percieved political points.

Why the hell do only young drivers suffer such harsh penalties and standards?

When I was 19 i got into a fight a friends place who i was planning to sleep over at. I had to leave and took my car home even though i was drunk. Stupid decision but i had no choice at the time.
Someone dobbed me in and the cops were waiting at my house.
I went for 1 year with no licence and learnt a harsh lesson. If i had to spend thousands installing an alcohol interlock i would have had no transport and no job, and wouldnt be a useful member of the community, instead i would be involved with crime because thats the environment i was in at the time.

Young drivers need to start organising and presenting a combined voice against the government. We all vote and shouldnt be screwed over just because of our age.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 10:12 PM   #56
Daniel351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah like XDAaron said before "So according to these new laws you can drive a 192kw N/A xr6 but you can't drive a 142kw 302 cleveland"
it going to be VERY! hard to drive my XY around with P Plates on it and not get caught tho :(

THE Daily
Old 27-07-2006, 10:16 PM   #57
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

though now-adays to run a v8 is a lot of $ out of your pocket for petrol unless of course you have a half decent job where it doesn't hurt..

my bro got like 200k to a tank with 302 ... though with 4 barrel
Old 27-07-2006, 10:20 PM   #58
Daniel351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mines got a gas hat on it and its only $25 MAX to fill the tank yes its weak ATM but it looks tuff :P
Old 27-07-2006, 10:23 PM   #59
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

yeah but you don't really get much k's out of a gas tank as gas burns quicker :P

is it straight gas or both gas and petrol?
Old 27-07-2006, 10:29 PM   #60
Daniel351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dual Fuel, and its gets 14 mile to a gallon

THE Daily