Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-02-2007, 07:09 PM   #31
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstoj
No probs with them in the outback, they are meant to be there, afterall, isnt that what they were invented for?
I get sick of the ones used properly on the streets, the ones that slow down for speed humps, the 50+ puss boxes parked in a row outside schools blocking both lanes of traffic, the ones that dont see any cars on the road unless they are the same height as them, the ones that go around a bend starting at the right lane, and then finishing off the bend well into the left lane running me off the road and then giving me a dumbfounded look!! the ones where they cant see anything behind them even with reversing camera's.....I can keep going, there just a few of the run ins ive had with these outback vehicles..but in saying that, it isnt the cars fault, its the drivers that are the problem.
Mate, I hear ya. And I totally share your frustration with these arrogrant 4x4 drivers.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2007, 09:29 PM   #32
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
My name is DOC, and i drive a camry
Did I start something here?
DOC what can I say but the usual "some of the nicest people I know drive Camrys"! But isn't yours a sportivo so you must have critically thought about it which ordinary Camry owners don't seem to. cheers

Judging by the feedback on this thread there is a clear consensus. Would it be too amateur psychologist to suggest that people who don't think too much about what car they buy also don't think too much about other things in life (like attentive driving)?
Old 20-02-2007, 09:45 PM   #33
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertuan
Mate, I hear ya. And I totally share your frustration with these arrogrant 4x4 drivers.
I have driven my 4X4 (patrol) in city traffic lots of times. Now to be fair there are morons in all kinds of cars. When I drive around the city (usually MLB and BNE) I get royaly peeved off at all kinds of cars putting their lives, and mine, at risk passing in really dumb places. Jumping in front of me and then jumping on the brakes because the lights have gone red, I then have to stomp on the brakes because the room in front of me has dissapeared because it was taken up by the moron that just jumped in front of me. I drive at the spped limit in most cases, but these twits insist on getting past me and then driving at or below the limit. As a 4X4 driver, I think that it is the non 4X4 driver that is the problem. They are the arrogant ones...... Now I have been just as stupid as you by putting all drivers of a particular vehicle into a catagory. Oh and by the way, my wife does take our kids to school in our 4X4 quite often. She likes driving it!!
Old 20-02-2007, 09:50 PM   #34
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Actually when I said arrogant, I was refering to the drivers who do those things as described by philstoj. No doubt there are good drivers of all car types but its the ones who seem to think the world revolves around them that I have problems with.

It happens with sedans and such as well. But personally for me, it becomes more frustrating because it is impossible to see whats ahead of a 4WD. Especially when they jam on the brakes when they have non-functioning brake lights.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2007, 10:01 PM   #35
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Actually when I said arrogant, I was refering to the drivers who do those things as described by philstoj. No doubt there are good drivers of all car types but its the ones who seem to think the world revolves around them that I have problems with.

It happens with sedans and such as well. But personally for me, it becomes more frustrating because it is impossible to see whats ahead of a 4WD. Especially when they jam on the brakes when they have non-functioning brake lights.
I think that what most sedan drivers need to understand is that 4X4 drivers can see much further ahead in traffic. They usually leave more room in front of them, for braking reasons, and tend to be a little more conservatine in their speeds. As long as 4X4 are legal to own and operate everyone should just learn to accept that fact that they are out there. But I do believe that every 4X4 driver should have to pass a course on their handling before getting a 4X4 endorsement on their license.
Old 20-02-2007, 10:45 PM   #36
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
Did I start something here?
DOC what can I say but the usual "some of the nicest people I know drive Camrys"! But isn't yours a sportivo so you must have critically thought about it which ordinary Camry owners don't seem to. cheers
)?
No mate really didnt think about it much to be honest, something like this

employer: will you come and work for me
me: why would i want to do that ?
employer: heres 30k+ for a car, a new 4k laptop plus goodies, all accomodation at 5 star level and a 6 figure pay packet.

so it was a free one, i never really drive it much , i gave it to the wife and said here's a car do what you want with it and drove the xr8.

what i can say is it's still in showroom condition very low K's and has held value beter than the xr did.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2007, 10:51 PM   #37
Aeron
DJR Fan

Camry drivers get my goat. Dont get me started!! Its ALWAYS a Camry going too slow or turning left from the right hand lane. And just when I think, "no, dont be silly, it has nothing to do with the car", there it is again, a Camry, doing 45 in a 60zone!!!! Grrrrrrrr!!
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2007, 11:09 PM   #38
buickman
buickman

To critise all Camry drivers is like saying every driver under 25yo are hopeless at driving & staying alive on the roads because a small minority are foolish selfish drivers.
The car might not have a tough image but they are reliable. Its not the car but the driver.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2007, 11:36 PM   #39
Dezza
Parts bin special

I've also noticed that when I'm getting held up behind a slower car, more often than not, it's a Camry. I absolutely despise those cars. It might just be coincidence, but they seriously do clog up the roads

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2007, 11:43 PM   #40
fordAU

I have also noticed this about camry drivers, especially the late model ones, whatever they are called.
They tend to pass me like I am going backwards on the freeways, the buggers are always speeding !!! worse than 4 wheel drives if thats possible.
fordAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2007, 07:54 AM   #41
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do you remember the Camry chicken? I think that says a lot.
cheers
Bill.
Old 21-02-2007, 10:33 PM   #42
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman
To critise all Camry drivers is like saying every driver under 25yo are hopeless at driving & staying alive on the roads because a small minority are foolish selfish drivers.
The car might not have a tough image but they are reliable. Its not the car but the driver.
Yes this is all a bit tongue in cheek buickman and there would be Camry drivers who don't fit the stereotype. But its hard to deny that there is a symbiotic relationship between certain types of people and certain makes of car (e.g. hoons and Commodores). And its probably down on paper in the confidential drawer of the car-makers' market researchers. Volvo has even used the "bl...dy Volvo driver" in its campaigns. Toyota wouldn't be too stressed that many of its cars are bought by people who don't have high driving/car awareness because there are very many people like that and therefore lots of sales. Do you want Ford to produce an exquisitely assembled, cramped dog of a car with foul dynamics and go out and capture the bland end of the market?

A pity about the safety issue that affects the rest of us though.
Old 21-02-2007, 10:52 PM   #43
BA Turbo

Quote:
I had a Corolla driver beep me today.

Crawling along, I was in the left lane which was ending so I indicated right to merge into an empty space with enough room for a car and a half. As soon as I start to move, female Corolla driver accelerates to fill the space and gets on the blower... TWICE! Like I'm supposed to apologize and put my car up on the curb because I got into empty space in front of her. :

Bugger that I thought... I moved into the space and gave her a nice wave.
Yea doing that to idot drivers is a good thing i love doing it
BA Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 09:58 AM   #44
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA Turbo
Yea doing that to idot drivers is a good thing i love doing it
What's an idot driver?
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 10:41 AM   #45
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Toyota...

For when you like turning to stone.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 01:09 PM   #46
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
What's an idot driver?
Think its like an ipod but different ;)

In regards to saying all Camry drivers are bad drivers that is obviously untrue and you cant judge all Camry drivers because there are a few bad examples out there BUT you do have to ask why these bad drivers seem to buy Camrys and that unfortunately gives them a bad name. Just like Volvo drivers years ago, they were the considered the safest cars on the road. So some people bought them because they needed safer cars because there driving wasnt up to scratch or maybe they had a few incidents or scares and they felt compelled to buy a safer car.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 02:37 PM   #47
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Another vote for the "I hate camrys" camp.

But, what I hate more:

MINIVANS.

People who buy minivans **** me off. Downshifting? What's that? Underpowered? What's that? Why would I want to drive at the speed limit???

Minivans are followed by those ludicrously underpowered Japanese light trucks that people seem to think can tow 3 tonnes more than they're rated for. For shits sake if you want to cart that much crap over hilly terrain, either drop it down a gear or buy a truck designed for the task at hand. Grrrrr.

If I go past another minivan wandering along at 80 in 100 or another light truck sitting at 95 in 100 in the right lane doing 5000 rpm, I am going to scream. :
Old 22-02-2007, 02:59 PM   #48
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Okay we've established that our dislike for Camry drivers hasn't wained in the last month since the last I hate camry driver's thread.

So were is this thread going now?
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 03:18 PM   #49
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

hahah i had a camry driver do something trippy to me this morning (just happened to be a camry.)

as i was coming onto a highway along a short slip road he crossed the solid lines to get onto the hwy as early as possible doing about 40kph..? so i overtake him on the left in the slip road and he looks at me like im the one who is braindead. i pull onto the highway infront of him and check my mirrors to see him causing a nice jam with the ppl on the hwy going 100kph..

couldn't believe it..
Old 22-02-2007, 07:54 PM   #50
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Okay we've established that our dislike for Camry drivers hasn't wained in the last month since the last I hate camry driver's thread.

So were is this thread going now?
What can I think of to close the thread?

Um.... yesterday I saw a Camry with an "AFF" numberplate. So maybe Camry drivers are actually on our side!
Old 22-02-2007, 11:57 PM   #51
jack_crowley

haha camry drivers are pretty damn shocking. I've got a pet peeve for Mirage drivers, i hate those bloody things, most hatchbacks and vn-vs holden drivers too, they all seem to drive like friggin idiots
once I was merging into another lane, it's empty for 5 spaces when I check it and I'm going the speed limit, suddenly some damn moron in a mirage speeds up 20-30k's over the limit when I put my indicator on before merging, and when I'm halfway between lanes she is still going damn fast and nearly collides with me (this is on a 70k road, could have been deadly)
I don't know if drivers are this shocking in all of Australia or just Sydney, but nowadays I try to take less populated roads to avoid the idiots.
jack_crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2007, 12:38 AM   #52
Jayden
Graphic Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea_silver_ghia
I've also noticed that when I'm getting held up behind a slower car, more often than not, it's a Camry. I absolutely despise those cars. It might just be coincidence, but they seriously do clog up the roads
I think thats the big point of this topic, i despise many breeds of car but for some reason the camry is almost always the one directly in front of me going 80 in a 100 zone and stopping directly on the centerline of a dual carriageway to apparently change lanes. A coincidence? or is there just lots of sleep-drivers that use this car?
Old 23-02-2007, 07:37 AM   #53
james22
With da Warlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M
Do you remember the Camry chicken? I think that says a lot.
cheers
Bill.
lol :togo: Ohh... What a Feeling.... hehehe

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2007, 10:16 AM   #54
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

haha police should run a 'now targeting camry drivers' operation
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2007, 03:53 PM   #55
Jesk
certified nutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
I have also found they like to hog the right lane even though it says "Keep Left" yet I'm more likely to get pulled over for 10km/h over the limit- figure that one!
Too true but you haven't seen the most of shocking drivers until you drive in SA especially Mt Gambier and Adelaide, I'm a south aussie and I'm ashamed to say we are the rudest, most inconsiderate, and stupidest drivers in Australia
Jesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2007, 03:57 PM   #56
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesk
Too true but you haven't seen the most of shocking drivers until you drive in SA especially Mt Gambier and Adelaide, I'm a south aussie and I'm ashamed to say we are the rudest, most inconsiderate, and stupidest drivers in Australia
( grin ear to ear )

Hello my name is DOC, I am a camry driver - In Adelaide
Old 23-02-2007, 04:09 PM   #57
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Don't get me started...

I had a Camry driver sitting in a left lane this morning wanting to pull in front of me so I slowed up a bit to let them in (Note to self, don't ever let Camry drivers in), and she stayed in the left lane, indicator still on, and then decided that she didn't want to go in the right lane and kept going straight...
Old 23-02-2007, 04:17 PM   #58
Jesk
certified nutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
( grin ear to ear )

Hello my name is DOC, I am a camry driver - In Adelaide
well doc thanks for the warning but i wasn't bagging camery drivers, plus you obviously have some sense.

But one of the worst i have seen was by a vw tourag on the SE express way and a corolla (mini camery? : ) finally got his attention
Jesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2007, 04:26 PM   #59
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesk
well doc thanks for the warning but i wasn't bagging camery drivers, plus you obviously have some sense.

But one of the worst i have seen was by a vw tourag on the SE express way and a corolla (mini camery? : ) finally got his attention
Your cool mate, these threads pop up all the time, and you can read that in some parts of OZ they only sell fast camry's because they all speed, other parts of OZ get the slow stupid camry's that cut you off.

Truth is its not the car but the driver, the camry probably stands out due to it being a high volume selling car along with its ability to retain value / reliability meaning in that more also stay on the road.

Don't worry they are a boring car to drive and that may be the reason for these posts, the car will either put you to sleep, ie slow speeds and with nodding off cause all the stupid driving as discussed or the other option is belt the crap out of it and hope it keeps you awake.
Old 23-02-2007, 04:36 PM   #60
davonafairlane
Fairlane 4eva

Come to shepparton vic, bad driving is a speciality many participate in. Green=go over the speed limit, yellow=go boot it!, Red=its ok the car in front went throgh :. Sometimes I wonder if any1 looks at the lights. Any car Anytime!!!
davonafairlane is offline   Reply With Quote