Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-01-2009, 10:09 AM   #31
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Got back last night and had a good time... Some awesome cars...

And agree with most, that some guys take it waaaaaay too far.....

Big dished billets are the in-thing now, just like a set of centrelines/welds/jellybeans were in the early/mid 90s
Old 05-01-2009, 11:11 AM   #32
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

how many boozed up idiots were on the main arena during the day when the show'n'shine was on, causing trouble amongst the several hundred awesome cars that were parked there?
there's more to the event than lunatic lane sat arvo and the strip show..
But hey, if that puts you off, by all means stay home.

maybe numbers were down this year because they read on forums negative comments from people that haven't been in years, and don't like big rims on classics?
Old 05-01-2009, 11:20 AM   #33
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyv8
how many boozed up idiots were on the main arena during the day when the show'n'shine was on, causing trouble amongst the several hundred awesome cars that were parked there?

maybe numbers were down this year because they read on forums negative comments from people that haven't been in years, and don't like big rims on classics?
Hmmm.. or the other way you could look at it is if maybe if there were more cars there that appealed to more people and less riced up contraptions and more people had a more positive experience with less morons and posted about it more would attend??
Personaly i think the moron factor is the biggest issue..
As much as i don't like riced up classics i can still appreciate good workmanship.
The problem is though instead of me enjoying looking at 3 out of every 4 cars its now its only 1 out of every 4... im not alone in my tastes either....

Last edited by 4Vman; 05-01-2009 at 11:32 AM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 11:31 AM   #34
jcxr
Tribal Elder

$65 dollar entry x 40;000 spectators = $2;600,000, a fairly nice return on the $200,000+ rent.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 11:31 AM   #35
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Norm, go look at the pics: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11244807

theres plenty of classics to see as well as the pro touring types. If I refused to go anywhere there were morons and drunks, i wouldnt even post here.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 11:33 AM   #36
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxr
$65 dollar entry x 40;000 spectators = $2;600,000, a fairly nice return on the $200,000+ rent.
Im sure the overheads for insurance alone would put a sizeable dent in that return.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 11:34 AM   #37
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
Norm, go look at the pics: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11244807

theres plenty of classics to see as well as the pro touring types. If I refused to go anywhere there were morons and drunks, i wouldnt even post here.
Hey i agree, some awesome cars!! i guess im just trying to understand why everyone is loosing interest in it... about 6 of my mates were talking about it NYE.. all were previous entrants, all felt the DH factor and change in styling was turning them away.... maybe its age!!!

Old 05-01-2009, 11:35 AM   #38
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If I refused to go anywhere there were morons and drunks, i wouldn't even post here.
So subtle, yet so effective..............
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 11:39 AM   #39
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've never been, but it sounds exactly like the Melbourne Cup Carnival, the only people who go there for the racing are the good ol' oldies. Everyone else just goes there to get hammered and get a good look at the women on the meat market.... I mean race course.
Quote:
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 11:39 AM   #40
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Hey i agree, some awesome cars!! i guess im just trying to understand why everyone is loosing interest in it... about 6 of my mates were talking about it NYE.. all were previous entrants, all felt the DH factor and change in styling was turning them away.... maybe its age!!!
everyone? what were the crowd figures again?
Old 05-01-2009, 11:41 AM   #41
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Have been told that Summernats 2010 dates are Jan 7 to 10....
Old 05-01-2009, 11:41 AM   #42
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
I've never been.
would you base your decision to not go on what you've read on forums like this?
Old 05-01-2009, 11:42 AM   #43
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
everyone? what were the crowd figures again?
"Everyone" as in all the people who i used to hang out with and enjoy cars, these people are still into cars, but all avoid that joint now... Hey, like i said, maybe its an "age" thing.. but i know id still attend and so would allot of people i know if it was more family orientated and less of a ricer bogan booze fest.

Last edited by 4Vman; 05-01-2009 at 11:49 AM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 11:45 AM   #44
XA_GT351
Supreme Machine!

i was thinking of going again this year. up until i seen the youtube video of ****ed bogans "drag racing" fold-up chairs along the side of cars. :S. i go there for the cars.

1960 FB Holden Wagon, Yellow, 192, 4spd,

My XA Build-Up
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...&page=10&pp=25
XA_GT351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 02:01 PM   #45
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Quote:

That's pretty much it Phil. I worked there for a few years and would have a look see Friday night/Saturday. Other than lunatic lane it is about the cars. I wouldn't mind heading up next year if the trucks in a decent state by then.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 02:29 PM   #46
knobby

Hey guys, i travelled up on the Friday and stayed till yesterday. I have not been for 5 years but can honestly say i was extremely disappointed with the attitude of all the secruity rent cops running around trying to stop cars from doing burnouts and generally killing moral. Saturday night they locked the gates on the cruise road early by about an hour and half. The crowd became rowdy and fights broke out. It seems as though the organisers have forgotten that its a car festival. The entrants pay alot of money to enter. It's their cars that make the festival, if there continually repremanded for doing burnouts and having good time then i think alot of entrants will not return. Also interesting to note that Gary Myers, Howard Astill, Fitzy and the fella that has that blue VK Brock Commodore that always does well in the judging were not that present. Anybody know why?
Also i thought that the cruise was a zero alcohol BAC...i saw heaps of guys with beers in there hands whilst driving..anybody care to comment??
knobby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #47
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Yeah I do ....... here and from other people it's enough to make me avoid anything with 'Nats' in the title.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 04:22 PM   #48
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Summernats may be cancelled

http://www.theage.com.au/travel/poor...0105-7a9l.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by the age
Poor crowds could mean end for the Summernats

Negative media coverage is being held partly responsible for poor crowds at this year's Summernats.

January 5, 2009

Negative media coverage will be partly to blame if Australia's largest car festival doesn't live on next year, its founder says.

Summernats wound up on the weekend in Canberra with overall crowd numbers down 20 per cent.

Just 80,000 people checked out the hotted-up cars and scantily-clad girls during the four days of the festival this year.

Founder Chick Henry - who was embarrassingly caught speeding on day one - says the drop in revenue means the event's future is in doubt.

"The reality is with the significant reduction in crowd numbers I can't, at this point, 100 per cent confirm that Summernats 23 will go ahead," Mr Henry said in a statement.

"The drop in revenue will have a very serious impact on our bottom line."

Mr Henry blamed the poor attendance on a number of factors, including negative media coverage.

"It's probably a multitude of reasons," he said.

"The dates (closer to New Year's Eve than usual), the economic climate and all the negative media reporting that seems to consistently surround Summernats."

Summernats received national coverage for all the wrong reasons in 2008.

After a number of visitors were kicked out for misbehaving, a 300-strong mob marched around the venue - Canberra's Exhibition Park - yelling "Angry mob" and Summernats' infamous catch-cry "Show us your tits".

On Saturday, Mr Henry said the smaller crowds were due to the global economic crisis.

"There's no doubt about it, right across the board there's an effect because of the downturn," Mr Henry told reporters.

While the crowds were down, they were relatively well-behaved this year.

Police say there were no major incidents despite one alleged assault on a patron who was taken to hospital on Saturday afternoon.

"ACT Policing are happy with the crowd behaviour and our security managers have applauded the general attitude of our patrons," Mr Henry said.

"It was simply the best Summernats crowd we've ever had, by way of behaviour."

The event organiser says he'll make sure he can pay all his bills before determining if there's enough money left in the kitty to stage the event next year.

Mr Henry dropped a claim for government assistance last year when a treasury document left on a lectern by ACT Chief Minister Jon Stanhope revealed his wage for running the event was more than $200,000.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:32 PM   #49
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Every year there's been talk about the Nats moving, but I think it may have a good chance of actually happening. I don't want it to though. Even though if it was moved to Eastern Creek I wouldn't have as far to travel it wouldn't be the same. Infact it would just feel like Powercruise. Not a bad thing, but one thing I like about the Nats is sitting in an arm chair for 6 hours as a big block V8 drives right past me, literally just a couple of metres away. We always sit on the corner near the main gate heading into Tuff Street.

That's one thing that would suck if it was held at Eastern Creek.

Anyway it's the grog that kills it. I don't think they should ban it outright, but heavily restrict it. I don't remember if this happened last year, but this year on Thursday alcohol wasn't served until about 6pm.

I know Thursday is generally the most quiet out all the days, but it seems like a step in the right direction. I don't know why they couldn't do that on Friday, and Saturday. Like for instance Saturday would be tons better if grog wasn't served until later that night, say after the fireworks, and just as the late night entertainment begins.

I like having a drink, but I usually only have about 2 for the entire 4 days. I'll always go for the cars though.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 04:53 PM   #50
JohnnyMo
"BOOST BANDITS"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
I've never really understood why it was in Canberra to begin with. Wouldn't it be better if there were a drag strip at least near where it was held?

I think Eastern Creek would be the best place to hold the SummerNats, great drag strip to see what peoples cars can do down the 1/4 & good grand stands as well as a Burnout pad, they could hold the car show on the bituman area instead of on the grass & dirt!
Old 05-01-2009, 05:00 PM   #51
TZENU
XY Driv3r

On Friday they didn't sell alcohol until 12, so they are obviously trying to do something about it....

I had a few drinks over the weekend (love the JD Slushies), but then again, who would pay $175(4 day pass) and another $xxxx in fuel to go and get drunk and and perv on women.??.. There are strip joints that charge much less and you usually get a free drink with entry!

Again it wouldn't bother me if they stopped the supply of alcohol until the evening nor if they stopped women with barely any clothes on, comming in... its about the cars
Old 05-01-2009, 05:04 PM   #52
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If its like the Melbourne Cup Carnival and people confirm that, then yes I would base my descision on that. Though, wet t-shirt competition sounds alright haha.
Quote:

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:36 PM   #53
SVR73
Mr Polish

Quote:
got home tonight after a 13hr drive back to adelaide. Me and the boys had an awesome time (and we didn't buy a single alcoholic drink at the event! yes, it is possible )
True, there are ferals, bogans and ..but on the most part they stick to 'lunatic lane'. I imagine that can be a nuisance for entrants that cruise thru there, but as a spectator, i don't have to go there.

I can't remember anything negative (to me) about the event. I'd still prefer it was alcohol free - or more restricted at least..

oh, wait - i can think of something.. the two less grandstands at the burnout track this year, and the 'security' guys stopping some people from going into the stands and not others (nothing to do with alcohol consumption, more a 'yep, you have breasts, up you go' type thing..)

I'm already planning my trip over next year, and intend on taking a car to enter.

oh and lol @ the 'i heard this' and 'i heard that' comments... happens every time..
Good stuff monty. I went last year, taking some of Danny Smith's (the 2005 Burnout master champ) burnout cars in our ex V8 Supercar transporter.

Caught up with freak 6 (sean) and others and had a ball, being my first year
Definately the idiots were around but I ignored them and concentrated on the cars

Didn't go this year due to my insane car detailing workload but hope to go in the future
I can have a baby summernats each year in my shop. I get to work on some sexy cars from old school all the way up to modern ricers
Old 05-01-2009, 06:02 PM   #54
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

I've only been once and that was 19, and my mates and I had a ball of a time. We want to go again but just haven't had the time or money. But hopefully it dosen't get call off because we were plannig on going for the 2010 one. But I agree the year we went there was a heap of drunken idoits and I reckon if they served alcohol later it might help a bit. To me it's a better spectator event then the powercruise. That's why I only take my car to the powercruise and not to the nats. Because the crowd gets to drunk and start abuseing the entrants for not doing burnouts or the women in the car for not getting there tits out. And if they do a burnout then there's about 20 drunk idoits trying to push your car sideways. Don't know about you guys but if I was in my car and that happened, I'd be straight out trying to bash cvnts. So when I go again it'll be as a spectator but my mate wants to take his XY ute so I guess I could handle riding around in that. :
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 06:08 PM   #55
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
Probably because the organisers felt sorry for Canberrans as there's not much up there - probably why they can buy porn and fireworks.
Umm, maybe because Chic Henry (who owns the event) is a Canberra resident. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
I've never really understood why it was in Canberra to begin with. Wouldn't it be better if there were a drag strip at least near where it was held?

Nats used to finish on the Monday. When we had the drag strip here, a lot of the entrants would head out to the Airport Drag Strip for Monday.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 07:38 PM   #56
yakcam
I drank what?

Sorry to our Northern brothers and sisters, but I think that Calder would be the best spot for Summernats. The Thunder dome infield could be used for relatively secure camping and the national track would make an awesome cruise track. Apparently they've separated the drag strip from the main straight, so you could have drags and cruising on separate surfaces. Oh and although I like my grog, make it dry, I want to show my 13yo daughter my passion without having to worry about verbal abuse from some idiots... It's just a Dad's wish... I know... :lookedat:

Cheers,

Kraig
Old 05-01-2009, 07:41 PM   #57
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakcam
Sorry to our Northern brothers and sisters, but I think that Calder would be the best spot for Summernats. The Thunder dome infield could be used for relatively secure camping and the national track would make an awesome cruise track. Apparently they've separated the drag strip from the main straight, so you could have drags and cruising on separate surfaces. Oh and although I like my grog, make it dry, I want to show my 13yo daughter my passion without having to worry about verbal abuse from some idiots... It's just a Dad's wish... I know... :lookedat:

Cheers,

Kraig
Do they still use the Thunder Dome for anything? Can you enter on the track?
Quote:

Old 05-01-2009, 07:46 PM   #58
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
Do they still use the Thunder Dome for anything? Can you enter on the track?
You'd just about need a 4wd lawnmower to lap the Thunderdome now!!!

Old 05-01-2009, 07:53 PM   #59
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

:S what a waste of a good complex, even if it was only a big oval, that would be still pretty fun to race on.

Haha, high speed 4WD lawn mower races, top speed 10km/h, 0-10 30 seconds, full lap: 30 minutes.
Quote:

Old 05-01-2009, 08:26 PM   #60
JOSH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

i think this bloke will be glad to see it gone, check out his summernats 09 movies
http://au.youtube.com/user/kwatflacker

Blue Power Racing Developments
(03) 93053000
Ray Prescott Auto
(02) 49902488
JOSH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post