Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-01-2013, 11:44 PM   #31
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: A new start!

Did Byron to Sydney today. Very much STICK to any limits imposed. Saw a cop on average every 30 min either driving, hiding or booking.

You will have the odd clown riding your rear egging you on to go faster in the roadworks zones but don't even bother. I almost got done for the exact same thing!

Enjoy your trip mate, If only I had some grass to offer you! If you want a place to lay low for a few days perhaps the external Roselands carpark? (Roselands is a suburb as well as a shopping centre). Doubt anyone will bother you there!

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-01-2013, 02:11 AM   #32
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm, my initial post disappeared. Just wanted to say, find something to enjoy from every day. If you ever find yourself in the SW of WA, gives us a yell, might be able to give you a park for a few days and a heads up on whats the go.
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2013, 02:25 AM   #33
T2TICK4D

Another like here , good on ya mate enjoy your self !
Old 05-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #34
Cam
Stroking it...

Well, it's been a while since I posted here..

The last few months have not been the easiest! Between the cyclone, and non stop rain it's proved very hard to find things to do!

But we did spend an amazing few weeks at Illaroo camping grounds at Minnie water, anyone who has a setup capable of free camping check it out! You literally overlook the beach from the camp grounds, it's amazing! I've had soo many great times there's far too many to mention here, but for those of you on bookface you can see it all at Facebook.com/gonecaravaning

Now, to the bad news.. The gearbox in the AU let go in the middle of coopernook national park, on a 1 way dirt road with the van on the back, 5km from anywhere.. Long story short my RACQ membership paid off and they towed the car, the van, and took me and Jaiden to Sydney! I'm now shacked up at a mates place, borrowing a mates mums car to allow me to be mobile and get what I need so I can get the old girl back on the road again! All in all it's worked out very well, but has been a VERY stressful couple of weeks!

I'll be in Sydney for a couple of weeks, would love to put some faces to some names so shoot me a pm if you wanna catch up for a chin wag!
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #35
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

life's gonna throw you a few curls mate.....shrug them off, they are just there to test your metal.......give the boy a hug from Poppa and take all the luck of the irish with you when you get mobile again

try workabout australia or work your way around australia for a bit of entertainment, plenty of places will let you camp with power and free or cheap meals in exchange for a couple hours of work a day

alice springs transport museum was a blast for us for a few weeks one year, but I'm mad on big old trucks and trains so I was in my glory

not easy with a little feller but a lot of places will allow you to have him with you during the day

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2013, 03:05 AM   #36
Cam
Stroking it...

Mate, to be honest I've not really been stressed by the whole thing, with the exception of when I was stuck in the middle of nowhere. Thankfully a 2012 V8 TD cruiser came to my rescue. In fact, my missus in Brisbane and my mum (whos also traveling) were more worried about it then me. I decided a long time ago to not stress about problems that arise in life, but rather to analyze them until a solution is reached...

Financially, due to being capable of doing the Nomad thing my expenses are very very low. My sons gluten free diet is the biggest hit to the pocket actually.. I would like to do some work to get some extra cash to take the van to tassie but having a boy who has a mild form of autism (aspergers) it makes it very hard to do that kind of thing, my boy is very sensitive to new people and surroundings, and although this is improving out of sight he still does require a lot of attention and interaction compared to a Neurotypical child, this means that childcare is really the only option, which unless I picked up some contract IT work would not really be financially beneficial..

I will certainly pass on a hug from ol pappa.. You better stay put till we get to SA, I'm looking forward to a good chin wag!

Now, my lil rockstar is fast asleep, so I'll try give you all an insight into why it is I am probably one of the proudest parents on the planet... Below is just an insight into one very small area that Jaiden has made remarkable progress..

5 months ago, a trip to the beach would involve driving to the beach, parking in the carpark and winding down Jaidens window. He'd sit there with his hands on his ears to dull the noise (noise sensitivity is a HUGE thing with Autistic people). We'd generally last 3-7 mins before Jaiden was hysterical begging to to go home because its "too noisy, he scare me dad".. Fast forward a month into my travels and after probably 20 hours of perseverance and 15+ meltdowns Jaiden conquered his fear of sand (again, texture is a BIG thing with people who are autistic). Fast forward another few months, and well over a hundred hours of perseverance (and more tears and screaming then i care to remember!) this was my little dude just a couple of weeks ago...

(more pics here http://disabledsurfers.org/nsw/far-north-coast-branch/ - massive thanks to Disabled Surfers Association)
The very same child who only a week before would scream blue murder if I put MY toes in the water was not only in the water, but surfing!! And loving it!
I've spoken to adults with aspergers who still wont go near the ocean, and here was my little man owning it! To say I was overcome with emotion would be the understatement of the century!

For those who don't understand Autism and how the Autistic brain works, this would be comparable to a NT (Neurotypical) person jumping out of a plane without a chute. that's about the only way I can describe the fear that he used to feel. If I'd pick him up and walk towards the water he'd kick, bite, scratch and fight his way free, just as you would if being thrown out of a plane without a chute...

Although he still struggles with a LOT of things, the progress he's also made over a few short months in areas such as Social development, language, coping with environmental changes, new people etc has surprised everyone. From friends who have autistic children, to his Paediatrician, and everyone in between (including me!).

Despite the public (and the Media) seemly thinking I am some kind of super-dad, I'm really not.. I'm just grateful to be given such an amazing child who's taught me SO much about life, and if the time I have dedicated to him gives him the skills to integrate into society, then my job here is done..

Thanks for reading,
Cam
P.S, There's a few more articles in the paper and online on their way, I'll post them up as I stumble across them.EDIT: one of the articles from the DSA day... http://www.dailyexaminer.com.au/news...ir-li/1760355/

Last edited by Cam; 07-03-2013 at 03:27 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #37
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Cam, What is the planned route for this great journey!
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #38
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd second that Itinerary heads up as well, I reckon there are quite a few folks here that would have a place for you for a while

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 18-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #39
Cam
Stroking it...

For now, I don't really have much of a planned route, but always open to suggestions!

From Sydney I will be doing Canberra, then heading towards a camp near Mount Kosciuszko so we can try and catch a glimpse at some snow.. From there I have no planned route except for the fact I have to be in Melbourne in May... From there will head through SA to the WA border, and will then start the treck towards QLD Via Mildura > Dubbo > Wagga etc etc..
I had started to plan a proper route, but as I meet new people, find new places, weather changes etc etc I decided it's easier to take it as it comes! So if your somewhere between the above routes, and can spare some grass or a coffee and a chin-wag by all means let me know!

At the moment, I am still stuck in Sydney with a failed gearbox, and a hole in my sump.. So for now we are staying put!

P.S. In the hope to inspire others, Kate from http://www.theshake.com.au shared my story a few weeks ago, had some awesome feedback which makes it all worthwhile! http://www.theshake.com.au/sliceofli...thing-and-run/

Cheers!
Cam
Old 19-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #40
pundit
Gazza!

If you swing past Mount Gambier (SA) at all on ya travels let us know aye

If ya do - there is some free places to park up the van too.
11.79 @ 122mph

RIP 2006 - 2017
pundit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2013, 12:58 AM   #41
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cam, your posts are very heart warming. My kids are, daughter 27, son 22. I love them more today than ever. My daughter also popped out a Grandaughter, her name is Freya, and of course we nick named her Madaya (my signature), as we say...Freya Madaya, she takes up all of 'My Daya'.
I wish I could say all is a solid family unit, but not to be. I'm 2 years divorced, Freya hasn't seen her Dad for almost a year, though the inlaw Grandparents are still (happily) on the scene. Cripes.
But I devout myself to my kids and Freya. She looks forward to sleepovers at mine, and adventures.
Aww, I'm taking over with my story, but Cam, yours is great. Like I say, if you are ever over this way, give me a yell.
Cheers.
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2013, 09:30 AM   #42
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madaya View Post
Cam, your posts are very heart warming. My kids are, daughter 27, son 22. I love them more today than ever. My daughter also popped out a Grandaughter, her name is Freya, and of course we nick named her Madaya (my signature), as we say...Freya Madaya, she takes up all of 'My Daya'.
I wish I could say all is a solid family unit, but not to be. I'm 2 years divorced, Freya hasn't seen her Dad for almost a year, though the inlaw Grandparents are still (happily) on the scene. Cripes.
But I devout myself to my kids and Freya. She looks forward to sleepovers at mine, and adventures.
Aww, I'm taking over with my story, but Cam, yours is great. Like I say, if you are ever over this way, give me a yell.
Cheers.
Don't be sorry at ALL for sharing it! There are some great dads out there in the world that go un-noticed because unlike mothers they often don't feel the need to tell the world via forums / social media etc.

Top work mate
Old 21-03-2013, 12:47 PM   #43
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

g`day Cam, hows the limo going , mobile again??
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #44
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Fantastic thing to do, would love to be able to do that kind of thing, just pack up and go.

All the best with it, I've liked on FB and look forward to the updates!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #45
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
g`day Cam, hows the limo going , mobile again??
Sadly, no!

Had some pretty bad luck actually, whilst putting the box in we inadvertently cracked the sump. So have been waiting for a replacement to arrive which it did yesterday. I have been avoiding the car and instead have done the touristy thing with my little dude, and just had some down time. It's my birthday Sunday and have arranged a babysitter so I can have a few hours child-free (first time in nearly a year!). So once the head recovers on Monday, It'll be all guns blazing to get the car done.
Having a limited number of tools I am still trying to work out exactly how I am going to raise the engine in order to drop the sump, but that's another story all together.. Just awaiting a reply from Justin from Tuff Car parts on the parts I need and some other bits and pieces..

I have to thank a couple of people, not sure if they frequent this thread, but just putting it out there anyway.
DC TODD - Mate, your generosity is astounding. He lent me a car for just over 2 weeks so Jaiden and I had some wheels. It's greatly appreciated mate, must come over for some beers before I go.

The Interceptor and xrghiawagon - These 2 young lads came around and gave me a hand in the dodgiest of working conditions. Your assistance was greatly appreciated guys.

I will be having a few beers at the Lone Pine Tavern at Rooty hill Sunday arvo. Open invite for anyone who may live in the area and wanna stop in and say Hi..
2 users like this post:
Old 22-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #46
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

never underestimate the kindness of strangers......they will surprise you at every turn.....well done!

2 users like this post:
Old 22-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #47
Cam
Stroking it...

VERY true dave... I actually had a couple on a caravaning forum ask me for my bank account details so they can give me a little helping hand. Turns out there are still some amazing people in this world!
Old 22-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #48
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'm guessing your bike hasn't mysteriously turned up anywhere?
Old 22-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #49
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky View Post
i'm guessing your bike hasn't mysteriously turned up anywhere?
Sadly not. I put up some signs saying "If you stole my bile from XXX street, please come and explain to my 4 year old autistic son why we can no longer go for bike rides" and attached a pic of us riding with his little tag-a-long bike attached. I never expected it back (it's worth a fair amount of money), but if I make the clown that did it feel just the slightest bit of guilt, it'd be worth it..
The people who sell the tag-a-long bike want like $65 just for the replacement seat attachment, and that and the cost of a bike is money I can't really spare until my car is all done. If all goes well with the car, we'll look at it then..

Got a heap on at the moment to keep us busy though. As well as a venture of my own, the guy who I am staying with had appendicitis and his appendix burst mid op (he was in day 4 by the time he got to the hospital), so whilst he is high on Morphine and in hospital I am running his business / managing staff for him. Thankfully a mate of his is lending me his car to make the above tasks much easier.

All fun and games eh?!
Old 22-03-2013, 11:41 PM   #50
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Hey Cam, if you need a hand again , just gimme a shout and I'll bring down my tools as well...

FYI, a thick piece of wood running side to side of the engine bay, and a heavy duty ratchet strap (rated to something around 500kg) should be able to hold the engine (jack it up a bit using a floor jack once the engine mounts are unbolted), then just drop the K-Frame and replace the sump...

Send my wishes to your mate as well Cam...!
Old 23-03-2013, 01:06 AM   #51
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon View Post
Hey Cam, if you need a hand again , just gimme a shout and I'll bring down my tools as well...

FYI, a thick piece of wood running side to side of the engine bay, and a heavy duty ratchet strap (rated to something around 500kg) should be able to hold the engine (jack it up a bit using a floor jack once the engine mounts are unbolted), then just drop the K-Frame and replace the sump...

Send my wishes to your mate as well Cam...!
It's funny you say that, the exact thought went through my head! The other idea was to get the car off the ramps and raise it up with my jacks, and put chasis stands under the arms for the engine mounts and then lower the car to get the clearance required. All reports are the K frame can stay put as long as i get the engine up a few inches...

I now have another 2 full socket sets at my disposal so no need for tools. But I might take you up on the offer of come extra hands. Other than weekdays I've onl got Sunday (morning)this weekend and all Sunday next weekend free, got stuff to do for Strikers business on the next 2 Saturdays. I am off to see him in the morning, will pass on my well wishes.

Cheers
Cam
Old 28-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #52
Cam
Stroking it...

Well it's been a interesting couple of months, but I am out of Sydney! The car got a HEAP of work done and so far is running perfectly

Engine out - replace sump, intake manifold gasket, rear main seal
Engine back in with a wrecker box
Wrecker box dead, another 'box swap
Leaf springs reset 1" higher with an extra shock
New pads and rotors all round

Am currently in Katoomba and heading off to Bathurst tomorrow! Should be in Wagga by next weekend (via Blayney / Cowra)

Piccy of where I am atm, note how level the car is sitting.. awww yeah!
Old 28-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #53
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

is that a free camp there Cam or national park, whats the access like for a full size van (non pop top).....we're heading back to Katoomba around october looking for a place to pull up

rig looks good mate, well done!

Old 28-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #54
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cam if you head to the Geelong ( vic) area let us know we could do a trip around the local area ie lorne g.o.r etc and do a bit of camping

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #55
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
is that a free camp there Cam or national park, whats the access like for a full size van (non pop top).....we're heading back to Katoomba around october looking for a place to pull up

rig looks good mate, well done!
I am staying at some friends place here that backs onto the bush. There is a free camp not too far out of Katoomba (Megalong Valley Lat: -33.7021 Long:150.247)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL] View Post
cam if you head to the Geelong ( vic) area let us know we could do a trip around the local area ie lorne g.o.r etc and do a bit of camping

Jason
I will be in contact for sure! I am heading to Safety Beach for a couple of weeks then starting the trek towards SA, so I will be in the area ;)
2 users like this post:
Old 29-04-2013, 12:55 AM   #56
GMACK24
Blue Ghost

Liked your page on FB.
Good Luck Mate ! I wish you luck !!
Old 29-04-2013, 03:04 AM   #57
ZH For Me
Suckin Diesel

All I can say Cam, is wow. I'm guilty of sitting here from time to time, thinking "aww man, I don't have enough to buy that new new engine" (Problems of the First World kind, hey?). This thread certainly puts things into perspective, and really rams home what is important in life. Kudos to you for what you've undertaken, I personally think it's amazing and you should be proud as punch with yourself. It's amazing to hear about the progress your son has made as well.

If you happen to wind your way to Perth in your travels, hit me up, I'd gladly should ya a bevy. (Pending where I am at the time, I may even have a spot for you to park up).
ZH For Me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #58
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

One thing your Boy will NEVER forget is the LOVE you give him. Kids, regardless, need LOTS of love and it appears you have decided to give him that which you have a great abundance of. Kudos to you Matey.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #59
saam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just had a look now

I have nothing to say apart from good luck and well done !!
saam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #60
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Cam is currently in Bathurst with limited internet availability.

He had some more problems with his gearbox and had a suspected inhibitor switch issue. I gave him a new one I had laying around, so fingers crossed this works. I also hooked him up with new tyres for the wagon and van, as he blew a van one out on the trek down here from Sydney.

He'll be heading towards Melbourne in the next day or two.