Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-01-2011, 11:32 PM   #31
Dave3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archilino
Yes the new story, as it was said on the channel 7 news report.
Nah, seen the video now. Its a different location. frankston-flinders rd and stony point rd..... nowhere near the mornington peninusla or frankston freeways.....
Dave3911 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2011, 11:52 PM   #32
g220ba
FGX XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by block58
The story didn't actually cover what he did in the end to stop the car. That's what I want to know.
To me the whole story seemed like a massive beat.

The car MAY prove to be faulty, If it is proved to be faulty questions will be asked and Ford will need to find answers.

As soon as Ch7 added Chase Weirs story into this particular report it lost all credibility and became a beat up. That guy was an idiot and shouldn't be allowed on the roads.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2011, 07:09 PM   #33
olds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Recall just issued on Rangers
olds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #34
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pretty sure the Ranger doesnt even have factory cruise control. It would be a dealer fit, so nothing to do with Ford.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2011, 08:10 PM   #35
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds
Really....?? do tell us or provide a link...

Quote:
Pretty sure the Ranger doesnt even have factory cruise control. It would be a dealer fit, so nothing to do with Ford.
It did sorta, There was dramas apparantly with the supplier last year and none were fitted factory, but yes I believe dealers were fitting them

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2011, 10:46 PM   #36
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds
Can back that up. In todays Toowoomba Chronicle (Saturday 29th January 2011). Sorry for the image, scanner has bitten the bullet so the trusty iPhone comes to the rescue. Definitely a recall, for both factory fitted and Ford accessory fitted systems.

Old 29-01-2011, 10:56 PM   #37
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

So it is a Ford Accessory/dealer fitted , not a Factory item.
Might explain why some vehicles might be affected, probably fitted by the apprentice ?.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2011, 01:00 AM   #38
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
So it is a Ford Accessory/dealer fitted , not a Factory item.
Might explain why some vehicles might be affected, probably fitted by the apprentice?
Did you read what was posted? Affects both the factory fitted unit and Ford aftermarket accessory unit. The Wildtrack and XLT models come standard with cruise control.
Old 30-01-2011, 01:07 AM   #39
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
Did you read what was posted? Affects both the factory fitted unit and Ford aftermarket accessory unit. The Wildtrack and XLT models come standard with cruise control.
My bad.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2011, 03:04 AM   #40
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjase
Lots will have to eat words for not believing that Ford could have a issue
The words were not that Ford or any other manufacturer has/had issues, it is the fact that a car does not take on a life of its own.

Yes some cars will not let you shift into neutral when driving, but there is nothing stopping you from turning the ignition to 'ACC' if your cruise control becomes stuck. Same goes for jammed accelerator cables (which happens from time to time).

It's a real worry with the amount of people out there who have *no* mechanical mind. Should not be on the roads. Pilots have to have knowledge of their particular aircraft - same should apply to drivers.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2011, 05:28 PM   #41
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
The words were not that Ford or any other manufacturer has/had issues, it is the fact that a car does not take on a life of its own.

Yes some cars will not let you shift into neutral when driving, but there is nothing stopping you from turning the ignition to 'ACC' if your cruise control becomes stuck. Same goes for jammed accelerator cables (which happens from time to time).

It's a real worry with the amount of people out there who have *no* mechanical mind. Should not be on the roads. Pilots have to have knowledge of their particular aircraft - same should apply to drivers.

Last time I looked you could shift any manual in neutral at any time! Most ford autos still have a mechanical linkage as well.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2011, 06:26 PM   #42
FgNewbie
Australia

Quote:

It's a real worry with the amount of people out there who have *no* mechanical mind.
Depending on car / circumstances there would be a lot of people that might not be able to control the car even if they had the mind to turn off the motor without locking the steering.

Last year in heavy traffic I had an accelerator cable jam at low speed in an ED. That was easy. Turned to 'ACC' and hit the brakes and parking brake. Pulled up safely. Cable had jumped out of its own skin.

Early 1980s my throttle jammed open (later found kickdown cable was responsible) in an auto XD with power steer while speeding downhill through bends.

Didn't know if revving out in neutral would literally pop the motor and cause a bigger problem so I turned the key to 'ACC'. That was the easy bit. I eventually stopped without hitting anything and my arms still pumping. I wouldn't wish that experience on anyone.
FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2011, 06:55 PM   #43
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FgNewbie

Didn't know if revving out in neutral would literally pop the motor and cause a bigger problem so I turned the key to 'ACC'. That was the easy bit. I eventually stopped without hitting anything and my arms still pumping. I wouldn't wish that experience on anyone.

Blowing an engine is a small price to pay compared to having an accident at WOT.
Old 30-01-2011, 07:47 PM   #44
FgNewbie
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
Blowing an engine is a small price to pay compared to having an accident at WOT.
Do you honestly believe I did it to save a few pennys?
Dollar value had no relevance to my actions.

If necessary I imagine the engine would of started again.

Having never damaged or blown a car engine under those circumstances, I didn't know what to expect.

Interesting to realise, in all the courses I've done, not one has addressed what happens with a blown engine.

Nearly 30 years ago but I still rememeber...

My first thought was of a blown outboard which sent a projectile in the air.

My second thought was the bonnet may pop up or something seizing up causing a bigger problem.

I went with the expected and turned the key.

Maybe I should of got a cuppa and debated it for a while before I did anything at all
Old 30-01-2011, 08:06 PM   #45
stev3n

I'd be inclined to think that someone who had this supposed problem with cruise and was not able to pull the car up, has no understanding of a car's
operating system. Therefore did the problem occur or was the problem caused by operator error, we,ll never know?
Even my dear old mother would have known to change to a lower gear, or put transmission in neutral, switch key to acc, apply the handbrake slowly or simply jump on the brake pedal.
Perhaps this wombat should stick to public transport in future.
stev3n is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2011, 09:10 PM   #46
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Yeah it was and the owner of that car was a first class muppet.
Ford have known about the cruise control issue in the Ford Explorer for years. I almost fell off my chair when Burela or whoever at Ford at the time said they have never heard of the issue before. Totally disgusting, but not suprising from the same car which gave up collapsing Territory suspensions...

Right-hand-drive runaway Ford Explorers... Ford UK already had 27 complaints by the time the doco was made!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eGTqKn_ihc&NR=1
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2011, 10:10 PM   #47
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Having never damaged or blown a car engine under those circumstances, I didn't know what to expect.

Interesting to realise, in all the courses I've done, not one has addressed what happens with a blown engine.

Nearly 30 years ago but I still rememeber...

My first thought was of a blown outboard which sent a projectile in the air.

My second thought was the bonnet may pop up or something seizing up causing a bigger problem.

I went with the expected and turned the key.

Never watched a motor race? They blow engines all the time and just coast to a stop. Your brakes and steering still work. Much quicker and easier to slide a transmission to neutral than to look for a key and accidentally twist the key too far causing steering lock.
Old 30-01-2011, 11:47 PM   #48
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
is "WOT"....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2011, 11:53 PM   #49
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
is "WOT"....

WOT = Wide Open Throttle
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2011, 11:57 PM   #50
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Ford have known about the cruise control issue in the Ford Explorer for years. I almost fell off my chair when Burela or whoever at Ford at the time said they have never heard of the issue before. Totally disgusting, but not suprising from the same car which gave up collapsing Territory suspensions...

Right-hand-drive runaway Ford Explorers... Ford UK already had 27 complaints by the time the doco was made!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eGTqKn_ihc&NR=1
That was a totally different model Explorer to the one that that imbecile in Vic was driving.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2011, 12:03 AM   #51
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
WOT = Wide Open Throttle
thanks bud, tell me though was it that hard to type....?

Don’t worry, I am a dinosaur and have a distinct dislike to abbreviations and acronyms....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2011, 01:16 AM   #52
FgNewbie
Australia

Quote:
Never watched a motor race? They blow engines all the time and just coast to a stop. Your brakes and steering still work. Much quicker and easier to slide a transmission to neutral than to look for a key and accidentally twist the key too far causing steering lock.
Have you got soapbox? I haven't seen it nor have I experienced a blown motor coasting to a stop. If you are incapable of competently turning a key to ACC you have bigger issues than me.

My brakes and steering still worked otherwise I wouldn't be here.

Perhaps Bobman will be more interested in accomodating you, I'm done and I'll move on.

Quote:

It's a real worry with the amount of people out there who have *no* mechanical mind.
Quote:
Depending on car / circumstances there would be a lot of people that might not be able to control the car even if they had the mind to turn off the motor without locking the steering. ...
Old 31-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #53
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Have you got soapbox? I haven't seen it nor have I experienced a blown motor coasting to a stop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iasrnm8lxQY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I7_9LH58Iw

This happens in every form of motorsport from time to time. Have you ever watched a motor race?
Old 31-01-2011, 09:40 PM   #54
sean ranger
Starter Motor

Default cruise problems

ive been reading all these posts now it is i was going down the road when the car in front of me put there brakes on, so in turn put mine on and noticed that the cruise didnt disengage so i hit the button on the stalk,{ factory fitted cruise** not after market and it still didnt turn off so i went around the bend over railway line and i already had the clutch in pulled over and turned the engine off said to myself **** i wasn't ready for that, sat for a few minutes then when i started the car it went straight up to max revs so i turned the car off this happened again and again 3 or 4 times then it started normally and drove fine i never turned it on again. The point is i had taken my car back to the dealer when they finally fixed it in early dec, new years eve it did the same,as what happened last week but this time it could have been a lot different if a train was coming, so i rang ford customer service again and the abc radio they put me onto ch7 the ford dealer has gone out of there way to sort this problem out since i bought the car in may 2010, 2 days after i bought it the cruise played up . I think the car besides this is great infact this is the 2nd ranger i have had the last one i had for 20 months 60,000 klms not one hiccup and when they fix the cruise i will probably buy another it suits my purpose to a T.
sean ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2011, 11:01 PM   #55
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean ranger
ive been reading all these posts now it is i was going down the road when the car in front of me put there brakes on, so in turn put mine on and noticed that the cruise didnt disengage so i hit the button on the stalk,{ factory fitted cruise** not after market and it still didnt turn off so i went around the bend over railway line and i already had the clutch in pulled over and turned the engine off said to myself **** i wasn't ready for that, sat for a few minutes then when i started the car it went straight up to max revs so i turned the car off this happened again and again 3 or 4 times then it started normally and drove fine i never turned it on again. The point is i had taken my car back to the dealer when they finally fixed it in early dec, new years eve it did the same,as what happened last week but this time it could have been a lot different if a train was coming, so i rang ford customer service again and the abc radio they put me onto ch7 the ford dealer has gone out of there way to sort this problem out since i bought the car in may 2010, 2 days after i bought it the cruise played up . I think the car besides this is great infact this is the 2nd ranger i have had the last one i had for 20 months 60,000 klms not one hiccup and when they fix the cruise i will probably buy another it suits my purpose to a T.
Welcome to the forums. All modern cars are designed such that the vehicle will out brake the engines power. Take the car onto an empty street and flatten the throttle and then apply the brake and you will come to a stop.
Old 31-01-2011, 11:07 PM   #56
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The ranger do not come out with factory cruise, they are fitted after market by Ford, when I bought my Ranger I was advised by a friend to not let Ford install theirs, but to insist on a different aftermarket one because the Ford aftermarket ones were having issues.

The salesman agreed, so I have one that doean't have too many issues. Ford are now fitting a different aftermarket version to the Rangers.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:00 PM   #57
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Official recall release:

http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/in.../itemId/999619
Old 02-02-2011, 02:47 PM   #58
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://www.caradvice.com.au/102085/2...ontrol-defect/

Quote:
2009-2011 Ford Ranger recalled for cruise control defect
By Tim Beissmann | February 2nd, 2011

Ford Australia is recalling 8082 PJ and PK Ford Ranger utes over issues with the cruise control.

Around 5700 PK Ranger XLT and Wildtrak vehicles sold between April 2009 and January 2011 with cruise control fitted standard are affected by the recall.

Another 2300 PJ and PK Ranger vehicles that had cruise control fitted as a Ford Genuine Accessory between the same time period are also subject to the recall.

The official recall notice published on the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission website says the cruise control system in affected vehicles may not operate correctly:

“The driver may experience the inability to ‘set’ or ‘activate’ cruise control, or to ‘cancel’ or ‘de-activate’ cruise control when it is engaged.”

Ford Australia’s Neil McDonald said as far as they knew the cruise control defect only affected Australian vehicles, and would not apply to Mazda BT-50 vehicles.

He said there have been no reports of accidents or injuries as a result of the defect.

Mr McDonald said dealers would disable the defective cruise control systems and repair them with a permanent replacement. He admitted some owners would have to return to the dealer twice to complete the two-stage process, as replacement parts are expected to arrive in Australia progressively over the next couple of months.

Ford Australia says it will write to all owners of PK Ranger XLT and Wildtrak vehicles at their last known address, and says owners of PJ and PK Ranger vehicles will be contacted by the Ford dealer who installed the system in their vehicle.

All recall actions will be conducted at no cost to the owners.

The cruise control recall follows two recalls that affected a larger sample of Ford Ranger utilities in September last year.

In total, 30,465 PJ and PK Rangers were recalled because of defects to the bonnet strikers and the automatic transmission.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #59
JaguarDave

Quote:
Never watched a motor race? They blow engines all the time and just coast to a stop.
ever watched motor racing? Those that have done it for more than five minutes will remember plenty of incidents where blown engines under trailing throttle have caused broken rod caps to hole the sump and throw oil on the road causing the rear wheels to lose traction and a possible crash to ensue, Wayne Gardner at bathurst was one that comes instantly to mind as does anothery in the eighties with The Captain.

Have that happen when a throttle jams in your road car down Mt Victoria or somewhere similar and it'll likely be more than a small price you'll pay........
JaguarDave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 06:30 PM   #60
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaguarDave
ever watched motor racing? Those that have done it for more than five minutes will remember plenty of incidents where blown engines under trailing throttle have caused broken rod caps to hole the sump and throw oil on the road causing the rear wheels to lose traction and a possible crash to ensue, Wayne Gardner at bathurst was one that comes instantly to mind as does anothery in the eighties with The Captain.

Have that happen when a throttle jams in your road car down Mt Victoria or somewhere similar and it'll likely be more than a small price you'll pay........
For a car to be roadworthy the brakes need to outpower the engine at wide open throttle. If your throttle jams on any tight and windy piece of road you are going to have issues no matter what you do. I also would not expect a smart person to engage cruise control down a steep hill or to use excessive throttle.

The best advice for someone who had a stuck throttle is still to throw the car into neutral whilst braking, and attempt to turn the engine to the acc position.