Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-01-2007, 07:27 PM   #31
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaRtZ
does the purple/red stand out in the tint alot? i just want it to look black as the photo appears
The purple / red I was talking about is the writing on the brochure - not the actual window tint colour. Only mentioned it in case they gave you the same brochure...
I'd describe the tint is as black with perhaps an ever so slight greenish tinge(licorice black). Mind you the slight greenish colour could also be due to the original factory glass having a slight greenish colour to it (or poss even the colour of the car itself)
Here's another shot taken late afternoon.
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2007, 05:09 PM   #32
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Please. Do NOT get your windows tinted!

When driving a Truck, perving in car windows is one of the few perks left in the job..
Old 04-01-2007, 10:50 PM   #33
CaRtZ
Aspiring mr efxr

wulos: all i did was go in and ask how much for a EF wagon and he said about 400 and pointed and said "about that dark" there was 3 cars parked in a row with 2 different shades. never saw a brouchre. atleast now i know wot to ask for (mum and dad's 18th present to me so $ aint a issue). thanks for that.

GasOLane: if u c me at night ul c in (y u want to i dont know) thanks to neon goodness lol

Standard = 99.6rwkw <!> 2.5" SuperCat cat back exhaust, Wade 1636 cam, K&N boxed pod (new dyno required
Sony headunit, splits, 6.5"s and 2 x 12" with response precision amp = 135.5 dB

Daily = Ae82 '85 corolla Fwd :togo: , 5 speed, 12" sub, 6x9's, green LED's

the course i am studying: http://www.wodonga.tafe.edu.au/01_courses/course.jsp?id=AUR30905NANA
CaRtZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2007, 11:20 PM   #34
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulos
The purple / red I was talking about is the writing on the brochure - not the actual window tint colour. Only mentioned it in case they gave you the same brochure...
if its like most of tant-a-car / sol-apes dark tints it will be a purple look soon. :

before you commit to anything you should shop around a bit.
get some samples from all the different shops and see how they look side by side. any decent sales person will give you a good sized sample to take home. there are always lots of off-cuts when doing jobs that will only go in the bin. if they dont give you samples and info on the film ........ go somewhere else.

have a good look at the 3M scotchtint CS Black 35.
it is a very black coloured film that is coloured with carbon instead of dyes so it will not change colour or fade.
i think you will find it looks darker then the tint-a-car film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulos
I'd describe the tint is as black with perhaps an ever so slight greenish tinge(licorice black). Mind you the slight greenish colour could also be due to the original factory glass having a slight greenish colour to it (or poss even the colour of the car itself)
you are right in that the colour of the glass, shape and size of the glass, colour of the cars paint, colour of the interior trim, the intensity of the light( cloudy,bright sun,etc) all have an effect on the apperance of the tint. its an ever varying thing and photos will never show the true look.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2007, 09:20 AM   #35
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I am running 5% on the rear window of my ute (commercial vehicle you are allowed as dark as you like on the rear window).

I have 20% on the side windows though ... I wanted it a bit darker than 35% .. mainly for security reasons ... and it keeps it cooler as well. Looking out though it ... it doesn't look dark. Plus I have a black interior on a white vehicle ... so it makes it look darker as well.

On the Territory ... I have 35% all round ... wish it was darker ... but it does the job. Being on a white car vehicle makes it look darker again.

Old pic of the ute just after tint

Pic of the Territory (now with GHIA wheels instead)
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 09:27 PM   #36
CaRtZ
Aspiring mr efxr

ok well i went to tint a car today and he gave me a small piece of midnight express and it seems very light to me for 'the darkest legal tint'. there other tinting place was shut (still on xmas holiday). anyone able to shed some light on this?

Standard = 99.6rwkw <!> 2.5" SuperCat cat back exhaust, Wade 1636 cam, K&N boxed pod (new dyno required

the course i am studying: http://www.wodonga.tafe.edu.au/01_courses/course.jsp?id=AUR30905NANA
Old 08-01-2007, 09:30 PM   #37
CaRtZ
Aspiring mr efxr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave351cid

have a good look at the 3M scotchtint CS Black 35.
it is a very black coloured film that is coloured with carbon instead of dyes so it will not change colour or fade.
i think you will find it looks darker then the tint-a-car film.
where is this avalible from?

Old 08-01-2007, 10:10 PM   #38
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

from personal experience I wouldn't want to go much darker then the midnight express (yeah yeah perhaps I am getting a bit old hehehe)
The tint gets a little fun to see through when reversing down my driveway of a rainy night - driveway has minimal clearance on either side, & under trees....
See if you can see a similarly sized car with the tint fitted in the flesh down there & go from there.
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2007, 06:06 PM   #39
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaRtZ
where is this avalible from?
if you ring 3M Australia -02, 9498 9289
they will be able to tell you who your nearest agent is.

something else that you might find interesting is the window tint assosiations webb site.

got some good info including the tint regs for each state.

Http://www.wfaanz.org.au
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post