Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-02-2008, 08:17 PM   #31
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC-351
Well thats true mate, just keep up the practice aye..
good luck

Over my holiday travels i happend to stop at nelson bay in N.S.W and i have to tell you i didnt want to leave.
Thanks

Also, check out the great barrier reef ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 12:54 AM   #32
Nathan&Amanda

IF your coming up fraser island way, pop a lil further north and visit Bundaberg,
Go for a tour of our local rum factory you will love it.

If coming over make sure you have a working visa, if planing on driving dozers, might be tricky, as you need all the equivalant papers, generic mines licence the lot stick with labouring for builders, building industrie is going of big time in alot of places. Or do the usual back packer thing and pick crops.

Nathan
Nathan&Amanda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 01:18 AM   #33
paul_r_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Dont worry about this, 50% of Melb drivers dont know the rules. The other 50% choose to ignore them
I have to say it.... 50% melb drivers dont know the rules, the other 50% are women :P :P LOL

The missus
2003 Rav4 4 door Cruiser
paul_r_d is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 09:10 AM   #34
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I'd recommend the top end (NT) for a visit...Kakadu, Litchfield, Arnhem Land.
Construction and mining industries have a pretty high turnover and usually always on the lookout for employees.

BA GT-P Blueprint
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 09:36 AM   #35
Selwonk

just watch out for our nasty wildlife,the drop bears can really make a mess of you!!
92 eb 2 i6 extractors 3''inch exhaust hi flo cat,xh tickford snorkel,t5 heavy duty clutch, 3.45 lsd ,dobinson s/lows, 16''roh milanos,DBA slotted rotors,in dash dvd flip out 7'',roof mount,front splits,12 carbon dvc sub,800w monoblock,h/d cabling and gold accessories,el ghia leather seats,au centre console,el door trims,custom number plates.
Selwonk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 09:59 AM   #36
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selwonk
just watch out for our nasty wildlife,the drop bears can really make a mess of you!!
:hihi:

In all seriousness, driving at dusk and dawn on the open country roads can be quite dangerous, especially if there are kangaroos around. They can cause some very nasty damage to a car when struck, and even come through the windscreen.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:02 AM   #37
Jesk
certified nutter

If you head to coonawarra for the wines and stuff, you gotta drop into the naracoorte caves (bout 20 min north) they are amazing and are south australia's only world heritage area. there are options of ones that you can walk through, through to full on adventure caving.

On a side note about the driving slagging off personally I reckon its the south aussies that you need to look out for, much worse the vic and Ive lived in both.
Jesk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 10:22 AM   #38
woodsy109

Quote:
Originally Posted by pud
great, lots of replies already.
I like to be secluded, and peacefull. That said, when it comes time to go partying the more people the better!
Swimming is a definate necessity as well.

what about work, I do construction (mostly framing). I also run equipment (bulldozer, excavator). What kind of industries are there for equipment operators, and where are the best places to go with the most work.
Australia has a serious shortage of skilled workers including construction and earthmoving. Just about anywhere in Queensland you will find work in building or earthmoving as the mining industry has attracted most of these workers inland with big salaries. This leaves the coastal towns and cities with plenty of jobs that still pay good, plus there is heaps more to see on the coast. My father works for an earthmoving company in Mackay (central coast of qld) and they are constantly looking out for excavator operators.

There is also lots of mines over in Perth, Western Australia. I would assume they would have the same problem as over here with all the workers moving out of town for bigger salaries and leaving plenty of jobs in the city.

With your skills mate, they will ask you to stay for good.
woodsy109 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 11:00 AM   #39
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

If your heading to the red centre to see Uluru (Ayres rock) than a must do is the Sounds-of-Silence dinner.

A candle lit dinner out in the open in the middle of the desert. Then before dessert an astronomer tells you about the southern night sky with storys and legends from around the world. There are so many stars visible out there that the local aboriginal people named the balck spaces between them rather than the star constellations themselves. It's one of the most amazing evenings I've ever had.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:35 AM   #40
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
If your heading to the red centre to see Uluru (Ayres rock) than a must do is the Sounds-of-Silence dinner.

A candle lit dinner out in the open in the middle of the desert. Then before dessert an astronomer tells you about the southern night sky with storys and legends from around the world. There are so many stars visible out there that the local aboriginal people named the balck spaces between them rather than the star constellations themselves. It's one of the most amazing evenings I've ever had.
Aww, dont do this. All your doing is taking the city lifestyle to the bush!

Having been there a few times, before they put tar on the airstrip, I'd have to say sit around an open fire and get a local to tell stories of the rock. Although you'll need a few hours to get through ALL the stories/legends.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:35 PM   #41
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesk
personally I reckon its the south aussies that you need to look out for, much worse the vic and Ive lived in both.
Even being a South Australian driver, I would agree with this. I have driven in other states, but haven't really noticed much of a difference. Driving overseas though, boy do you notice the difference then! They say the Italians are the worst drivers, but they are at least courteous and will allow other drivers to merge. It's pretty much the same all over Europe and even in the US.
In Australia, and in particular South Australia, people will go out of their ways to stop someone from entering "their lane!"
Old 04-02-2008, 01:09 PM   #42
cob115
COUPE WHORE

Default visit

Gday Pud good on ya mate ,iv been to a few places around austraila and a favorite would have to be Darwin ,Litchfeild ,crocks ,wild life and the people are great to ,lots to see do and eat,then scoot over to Queens land for more fun in the tropics,dont strees your never going to see it all so just enjoy the things you do see and come back again later,I was in the states a few weeks ago ,same place as canada? well close enuff lol. no were nere enouf time but great fun there will always be some youll miss seing ,just another excuse to come again cheers pat

1974 Malvern Star Dragstar pushbike mods; bald back tyre, big sissy bar, speckled paint job and buckled front wheel
cob115 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 05:53 PM   #43
TadKa
Wait? What?

Come To Tassie (Little island down the bottom) Awesome place. just don't bother unpacking the swimming togs. The water is always bloody freezing.
TadKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 06:03 PM   #44
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hit up the daintree river and forest, i loved that place when i went. definately take a fishing trip, also come to sydney- best city in the world!! annd just take it all in.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 07:07 PM   #45
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:

Damn that sounds good, might have to think bout that now im closer to the NT now
Old 04-02-2008, 07:08 PM   #46
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
also come to sydney- best city in the world!! annd just take it all in.
Brisbane has it all over Sydney IMHO
Old 04-02-2008, 08:21 PM   #47
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Watch out when driving in Country Vic, up my way the Kangaroos seem to enjoy sitting in the middle of the road just right around a corner.

^^ Reminds me of what a work mate was telling me, how he used to test the FPV cars in NT. At night time all these animals come crawling out of the woodwork, camels kangaroos everything lol. Makes me laugh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 09:08 PM   #48
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
In Australia, and in particular South Australia, people will go out of their ways to stop someone from entering "their lane!"
i have to say that people in NSW are the most agressive drivers on the Aussie roads (i got abused by one of em after they cut me off!!) but queenslanders take they cake for not knowing how to merge!!! instead of speeding up to the same speed as the drivers on the motorway, they think slowing down is a better idea!!! yes cos thats not gonna cause accidents, no not at all!!!

CURRENT
'01 AU2 XR8 UTE - 5 SPEED MANUAL.
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS
'07 BF MK11 XR6 - 6 SPEED AUTO
'95 EF XR6 - 5 SPEED MANUAL

See my car HERE
CADSKY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 10:10 PM   #49
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by swan_ford
instead of speeding up to the same speed as the drivers on the motorway, they think slowing down is a better idea!!! yes cos thats not gonna cause accidents, no not at all!!!
I'm sorry to say, it's not just a QLD thing. It happens all too often he in SA too.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:52 PM   #50
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Quote:

Heck YES!

I used to work at the resort there, was common to go and do this once every two months, one of the most FANTASTIC dinner you will have the experience is amazing!

www.ayersrockresort.com.au
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 09:55 AM   #51
GSfalcon500

Quote:
Originally Posted by pud
great, lots of replies already.
I like to be secluded, and peacefull. That said, when it comes time to go partying the more people the better!
Swimming is a definate necessity as well.

what about work, I do construction (mostly framing). I also run equipment (bulldozer, excavator). What kind of industries are there for equipment operators, and where are the best places to go with the most work.
Hey pud ,come to Queensland around brisbane / gold coast area.The climate is good for swimming pretty much for 10 months of the year altho some folks find it humid but its nothing like florida humidity.There are lots of nice spots aroud south east queensland to see like frasier island, stradbroke island,gold coast hinterland,sunshine coast hinterland
and it is closer to the parts of australia you will want to see like tropical north queensland great barrier reef the witsunday islands and northern territory.

Brisbane gold coast area has alot of work for framers and excavator operators,bulldozers not so much as australians dont tend to use them as much as you do in Canada .Like it is quite rare to see a dozer smaller than a D6 working on projects.dozers here are mainly used for bulk earthworks and pushing scrapers.

You could see sydeney in a day. the harbor is nice but other than that its just a big city ,the canadian equivelent would be Toronto,people that live there think it is so great and the rest off the country hate it.

Melbourne is nice, Canadian equivelent would be Montreal lots of cultural stuff and it looks nice,all the Canadians that i know prefer melbourne over sydney.

Queenslands equivelent would be british columbia. its got all the natural beauty and the stuff you want too see like crocidiles, rainforest, outback ,the reef for diving /swimming.

As for the rest of the country its worth a look but base yourself in queensland and fly to where you want to go.
GSfalcon500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 10:30 AM   #52
cob115
COUPE WHORE

Quote:
I'm sorry to say, it's not just a QLD thing. It happens all too often he in SA too.
i have to agree with a lot of what your sayin ,the drivers in Adelaide suck!and im a south aussi! i slowd down to let a fellow in the other day and the ning nong got cranky with me ?WTF? oh well some people hate there life,but a wave and a smile goes a long way,i did notice when i was driving in the states on hoilday a few weeks ago ,that they wernt very happy drivers either!i reckon i got one wave for letting in another car,out of heaps,cheers

1974 Malvern Star Dragstar pushbike mods; bald back tyre, big sissy bar, speckled paint job and buckled front wheel
Old 05-02-2008, 01:07 PM   #53
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cob115
i reckon i got one wave for letting in another car,out of heaps,cheers
Why? It's the norm over there so why wave for doing something they expect you to do?
Old 05-02-2008, 01:53 PM   #54
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

The middle of the simspon forrest is an amazing place ! Its a must do for tourists!

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Blue Oval Mopar Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 01:20 PM   #55
scoupedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Dont worry about this, 50% of Melb drivers dont know the rules. The other 50% choose to ignore them
spot on.... i like to say that the road rules in Victoria are a suggestion only

Places to go hmm.....All of NSW coast line, Barrier reef of coarse, the big rock, Tassie, three sisters, twelve apostles/great ocean road, SW WA, Broome, Canberra war museam, North stradbroke, Fraser, sydney harbour cruise and bridge climb, Rottnest Is WA, Devils marbles, Kakado, Cains, Wilsons prom, arh maybe best just to move here for a while

Last edited by scoupedy; 07-02-2008 at 01:26 PM.
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 01:31 PM   #56
scoupedy

I love teasing Canadians: ME "where in the states are you from?" ans "we're canadian" ME "thats the big one in the north isn't it?" I also call NZ East Tasmamia
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 01:50 PM   #57
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Karijini is the most under-rated tourist destination in Australia. About 2000km north of Perth.

The Buccaneer Archipelago, couple of hundred kilometres north of Broome is the most fantastic thing I have ever seen.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:00 PM   #58
cob115
COUPE WHORE

Quote:
Why? It's the norm over there so why wave for doing something they expect you to do?

may be it is ,but i reckon if some one lets you in ,why not say thanks with a wave or what ever ,god dam it im just to friggen nice!ya @E$#$%$@#