Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-05-2009, 04:50 PM   #31
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I too think the truckie did nothing wrong I certainly don't stop at the lights on the inside lane of a truck as you WILL get hit.

It is common sense and part of city driving with large trucks and buses about. Me or my wife know NEVER stop next to a truck in a turning lane, either in front or behind, but never next to the truck.

It bothers me that you also blame the truckie which means you or your wife do not understand this basic unwritten rule.

This goes for half the posters on this thread, I'm glad I don't drive a truck for a living, as there are obviously alot of people unable to think ahead when driving.

Last edited by Stefan; 27-05-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 04:56 PM   #32
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

A bloke in Perth yesterday fell off his motorcycle at a roundabout and lay dying on the road while thieves made off with his machine.
Old 27-05-2009, 05:06 PM   #33
Brendo_GSUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Leave it with the insurance company

In the end your insurance co doesnt want to pay (example) $1500 in repairs for your $500 excess, so they will do all they can to charge the other guys insurance company.

I believe ins co's even have forensic investigators these days so if i were you i wouldnt get into the he said she said battle and just get your insurance co to do they work.

But yes others are right you do have to give way to trucks. its just one of those laws like hitting a curb is a fine along with having your fog lights on with your headlights... unfortunatly you only find out about these laws the hard way.

But you have the right to contest the way the law was interpreted as to the intentro spirit of the law but this is rarely worth it...

but like i said hand ball it to your insurance co and be prepared to wear the BS decision sadly.

But i hope for you that common sence preveils!
Brendo_GSUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 05:10 PM   #34
manwell
Starter Motor

What are some of you guys going on about?!

"If it has this sticker you dont have a leg to stand on"

" I too think the truckie did nothing wrong I certainly don't stop at the lights on the inside lane of a truck as you WILL get hit."

The guy said his wife they were stationary at lights.
NOT OVERTAKING
If im stopped next to a truck they CANT legally decide, hey, i'll turn left/right now and swipe the side of your car. Sticker or no sticker. Sheeesh!!

I think you'll find in most cases if a truck is turning left they will usually position themselves in the middle over the 2 kerbside lanes so nobody can pass them anyway.
But to assume they can just turn in front of somebody willy-nilly and get away with it because they have a sticker is outlandish.

To all those who said the truck driver was legally allowed to do this, whats the boundary between overtaking and just driving along beside a truck, can they still just hook a left at any time beacuse they have a sticker? :

Last edited by manwell; 27-05-2009 at 05:17 PM.
manwell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 06:07 PM   #35
XABEBAGT
GT Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
If it had either of these, you really wont have a leg to stand on.
I think I'll get a sticker made that says "Don't book me for speeding".
Seems too good to be true that a sticker can take away your liability.
Cheers
Keith
3/93 EB2GT No 204 - Cardinal Red 1 of 88
8/03 BAGT No 395 - Blood Orange
6/08 FGGT No 295 - Octane
3/64 XM 4 Door - Red
XABEBAGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 06:09 PM   #36
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpbabe
GTFPV said his wife was stationary and had given way when the truck hit her, so i'm not sure how a truck having 'do not overtake' makes a difference when she wasn't moving, therefore not overtaking? but if this is the case i plan on never driving next to a truck again.
anyways, i always have my camera on me just in case something happens.
Those signs also mean that the truck can use more than one lane to turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260
Yes, but if there are 2 lanes turning, and you are well within your lane is that considered overtaking?
See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwell
What are some of you guys going on about?!

"If it has this sticker you dont have a leg to stand on"

" I too think the truckie did nothing wrong I certainly don't stop at the lights on the inside lane of a truck as you WILL get hit."

The guy said his wife they were stationary at lights.
NOT OVERTAKING
If im stopped next to a truck they CANT legally decide, hey, i'll turn left/right now and swipe the side of your car. Sticker or no sticker. Sheeesh!!

I think you'll find in most cases if a truck is turning left they will usually position themselves in the middle over the 2 kerbside lanes so nobody can pass them anyway.
But to assume they can just turn in front of somebody willy-nilly and get away with it because they have a sticker is outlandish.

To all those who said the truck driver was legally allowed to do this, whats the boundary between overtaking and just driving along beside a truck, can they still just hook a left at any time beacuse they have a sticker? :
See above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 06:35 PM   #37
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I 100% am with Daymoe on this, Trucks need more room to turn and the high vis signs on the back allow them to use both lanes legally, also its kinda common sense not to try and squeeze up the inside of a truck or bus, they swing in tight and will hit you, best to stay back or let them take off in front of you to avoid this kinda incident
Old 27-05-2009, 06:37 PM   #38
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

It's amazing the number of people who don't know what those signs mean on the back of heavy vehicles.
Not having a go at your wife gtfpv, but realistically most people just don't comprehend these things because they have no experience in driving heavy vehicles.

I get it all the time in the bus. They'll try and sneak up beside you, and then honk because you cut into their lane. It can't always be helped. Some lanes/intersections just weren't designed with enough thought about larger vehicles.

Even before I started driving buses, I always worked on the basis that those vehicles are way bigger than my car, and I will always come off second best if I were to get too close, combined with the fact that wherever I'm going will still be there when I get there - even if I'm a few minutes late.
If I can back off and give a truckie or bus more clear space I will. It's one less thing they have to worry about when trying to turn.
It's not just 'point and flick' like in a car. You need to pick your lines, and look for obstructions, aim the vehicle, look ahead, and still be watching the 12+m behind you once you're around the corner.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 06:41 PM   #39
Des Flurane

'Comon if I'm turning right and am stationary and a truck pulls up next to me , what am I supposed to do?
Having a sign does not give the truckie the right to hit you.
That's not the law.
Old 27-05-2009, 06:48 PM   #40
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Same thing happened to me a few weeks back, bloke hit me, then got out of the car and said he didn't hit me, even though I was standing there watching him. Refused to give any details, and after the police came to get his details I was told that its not a civil matter and I have to chase him for the money or pay my excess and fix it myself.

If he doesnt pay then I have to chase it through the courts. Good luck with it, I'd be calling the truck company and complaining. Hopefully they'll be more understanding and will settle the matter.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 06:49 PM   #41
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not to mention I think a truckie can make a mistake every now and again, how many drivers do you see that cut them off and do all sorts of dangerous maneuvers around them. People need to realise that a truck isn't going to stop as well as your little Hyundai Getz or turn in as easily as it can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 06:55 PM   #42
mickvxbs
bogan

Who said she pulled up at the lights AFTER the truck the truck had pulled up?
mickvxbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 06:55 PM   #43
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I was the victim of a hit and run. He hit, I pulled over, he pulled over 50m up the rd. Both got out, he looked at me, I looked at him. Start to walk towards him, he hops back into ute and drives off.

That's the way he wanted to play it.. fine, game on.

Took off after him, started with 10 cars between us, then 7 then 5. He tried to lose me at the lights and lucky the phases were in my favour.

After about 3km I was right behind him. Hand firmly on horn and lights flashing till he pulled over. He finally did and got out with that dumb "What's your problem?" look on his face. After a few words each way I got his details and stupidly didn't get any insurance details as he said he was up creek with the boss already and wanted to pay for the repairs himself (was a company ute).

After a month of chasing I finally got a call from his boss to settle things (she paid me out).. he tried to dodge me but my last phone msg with his 'friend' scared the tripe out of him and he came clean to the boss.

The police didn't want to know about it. Why? Because even though he ran, I did get his details in the end. So the 'hit and run' no longer existed.

While he was dodging me, the police were no help, the RTA were no help and at the time my excess was $1000 for damage of $700.... so I didn't want to get insurance involved.

You have already lodged a claim so if I were in your situation I would have called the company directly and tried to settle it without insurance.

Sorry to hear of your situation... hopefully it gets sorted with minimal fuss.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 07:05 PM   #44
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jeez, if people don't understand not to pass or stop next to the inside lane of a turning truck you seriously need to hand in your license at the next traffic authority or police station.

Reading treads like this reinforces the need for ongoing driver training and licensing testing. It astounds me that the vast majority of the posters on this tread obviously have no idea how to drive in traffic.

Scary stuff indeed..
Old 27-05-2009, 07:06 PM   #45
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
Just as an aside - if he said he was an "ex-cop" i would follow that line of inquiry. Impersonating a police officer is a very serious offense, and to portray yourself as an "ex cop" would carry similar penalties.
Stating "I am a police officer" IS NOT impersonating a police officer.

Stating "I am Snr Const Frederick James Nerk 42351 and producing ID or a warrant card" IS impersonating a police officer.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 07:17 PM   #46
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Prevention is better than cure.....

... Let your wife drive your GT........man that was bad choice in the first place :P *hides from all the ladies*
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

After a patient 2 years...
Now Driving...

2010 FG XR6 - Sunburst!
XRSIKS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 07:32 PM   #47
cjf
GT Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
Jeez, if people don't understand not to pass or stop next to the inside lane of a turning truck you seriously need to hand in your license at the next traffic authority or police station.

Reading treads like this reinforces the need for ongoing driver training and licensing testing. It astounds me that the vast majority of the posters on this tread obviously have no idea how to drive in traffic.

Scary stuff indeed..
I think you need to hand your licence in mate, as a truck driver myself I don,t beleive I have the right to hit a stationery car at a intersection.
Wake up people the truck is in the wrong.
BPR CAI , PACEMAKERS 4-1, BALLISTIC 100cell RACING CATS, CROW CAMS GTP,
K LINE , XFORCE ,PSI VALVE SPRINGS, MANLEY H BEAMS, SRP PISTONS & RINGS, ACL RACE BEARINGS MELLINGS BILLET OIL PUMP, POWERBOND UNDERDRIVES, TT1-160 THERMOSTAT.
cjf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 07:56 PM   #48
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the truck can't safely make the turn because there is already a car there behind the stop line also at the lights, then it should let the car through before making the turn. But when someone tries to come from behind the rear of the truck and then overtake while it is turning, then that is both illegal and insane.

A typical heavy rigid truck won't need to cross into the next lane until they are more than halfway through a turn onto a 4 lane road (2 each way), so it was bad driving if he already cut across that early.

If he really needed to use the second lane in the early part of the turn, he should have straddled both lanes approaching the lights - this would prevent anyone pulling up alongside. I've seen this approach by semi drivers turning into narrower roads.

Another thing to think about - perhaps the truck pulled up after the GT at the lights, so there was no choice in being beside the truck.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 08:08 PM   #49
Poorboy_racer

On the other hand. I pulled out in my ute in front of another car once (a while back). Car skidded and hit the back of the ute. Thought at the time "blast, I never saw her coming" admitted guilt and agreed to pay for the damage. Later I went back to the scene of the accident. The skid marks on the road were quiet long well over what you could do if you were travelling at the speed limit. Thought that would explain how she came from nowhere. Too late by now so wore the costs. The thing that really upset me was I got a call from the police later to say they were taking 3 points off my licence and giving me a nice fine for reckless driving. I admitted liability and she reported it. Lesson learnt. Don’t ever admit liability.

Had someone back into our car recently in a car park got witnesses and statements etc. left on the windscreen. He left his number and details but not his address. Guy said when we phoned him he would pay for the damage. We did the right thing got a load of quotes etc. Went with the cheapest (not the one we would have chosen). After the car was fixed (we even agreed to him paying less than the cost of the repairs as we wanted it sorted out quickly and he said he was short of money) he never returned any of our calls. We were told it’s a civil case you must take him to court. Got to issue him a summons. Cant issue a summons without his address as we only had his phone number and rego there was nothing we could do. Cant get his address from his rego, or phone number (mobile) no one will give it to you. His name was not on the electoral roll, so cost us well over a grand to fix. And not fixed by the people we wanted to do the work in the first place. So when getting someones details insist on the address as well. The police wouldn’t help as the damage was not going to cost enough to fix.
Poorboy_racer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 08:22 PM   #50
bingoTE50
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjf
I think you need to hand your licence in mate, as a truck driver myself I don,t beleive I have the right to hit a stationery car at a intersection.
Yep totally agree with this.........you have duty of care to drive safely at all times . The situation as described - he is in the wrong.
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 08:35 PM   #51
ams77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This was a while ago but my sister's charger was side swiped in the train carpark. Under the wiper at the end of the day a note that said " saw this car hit yours this morning rego is xxxxxxx. Nothing else so we couldn't contact them. I went to the local cops told them the story, they gave me his address and said all you can do is confront them to see if they admit it. Knocked on their door said your car hit my sisters car at the station, he denied it, even though I pointed to her paint on his bumper. I said there's a witness and the cops have been notified. Still wouldn't admit to it so I went to our local panel beater and he said leave it with us. Within 2 days we were contacted saying our car can be fixed as they paid up. They just gave him an ultimatem from their solicitor saying pay by 4pm or you'll be hit with more than the cost of repairs. No insurance co. involved though as the panel beaters were so quick to settle it for us. The cops really shouldn't have given us his address I suppose.
*** For Sale *** Red Flame Auto Allan Moffat Special #280
ams77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 08:42 PM   #52
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjf
Who said you have the right to hit a stationary vehicle? The lady is at the front of an intersection on the inside lane next to a big truck turning right and she "gives way" to the truck by staying stationary? WTF if going through her head? Who or what exactly is she giving way to?

Firstly i doubt the story is true and exact as no-one would stay stationary to "give way" if she did she screwed up, or she tried to overtake a turning vehicle which seems very much the more likely scenario , either way she is in the wrong.
Old 27-05-2009, 09:15 PM   #53
LTDHO
The one and only

So many posts and so much wrong.

Time this thread was closed and some of you re-read your rule books.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 10:03 PM   #54
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Obviously it was not safe to do so....

Quote:
143 Passing or overtaking a vehicle displaying a do not overtake turning vehicle sign
(1) A driver must not drive past, or overtake, to the left of a vehicle displaying a do not overtake turning vehicle sign if the
vehicle is turning left and is giving a left change of direction signal, unless it is safe to do so.
Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.
(2) A driver must not drive past, or overtake, to the right of a vehicle displaying a do not overtake turning vehicle sign if
the vehicle is turning right, or making a U–turn from the centre of the road, and is giving a right change of direction
signal, unless it is safe to do so.
Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.
Example—
A driver driving on a multi-lane road who is turning right at an intersection to which a right turn only sign applies may drive past
a vehicle displaying a do not overtake turning vehicle sign that is turning right from another marked lane, and giving a right
change of direction signal, if it is safe to do so.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 10:03 PM   #55
MAV50L
Banned

There is one rule in NSW traffic law reguarding Heavy Vehicles that noone has mentioned.
Yes if you are over 7.5 metres long you have to have the Do not overtake turning vehicle signs on the truck and you can use two lanes to turn legally IF AND ONLY IF there are no turning arrows on the road. If there is turning arrows painted on the road the truck driver can only use the corrosponding lane to which they are in at the intersection. They cannot cross lanes.
This was slammed into me when I was doing my driver training a couple of years ago.
MAV50L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 10:30 PM   #56
FPV GT40
Banned

Like Stefan said scary stuff to read the comments here. I am a great supporter of ongoing driver testing

So she recons she was just sitting at the lights not going anywhere after they went green??? Ask yourself one quastion: Why??? Does she normally do this?? I just sit at the lights and not go anywhere??

There is obviously more to it than what is being said.

When people come up to a truck (and yes I have driven trucks for about 10 years), they must look and see what is going on, ie see which way the driver is indiacting, and you must give way to the truck as he might need two lanes for turning and has every right to do so.
FPV GT40 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 08:54 AM   #57
dave289
Banned

next time teach your wife to put her foot down in the gt and this would not have happened.she would have been clear of him before he even moved. but no, lets give him the chance to wipe me out when she should have been gone. sorry to hear mate ,hope all goes well.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 10:26 PM   #58
gtfpv
GT

next time i wont bother posting the thread .
thanks to the well wishers . cheers .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2009, 08:56 AM   #59
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
If the truck can't safely make the turn because there is already a car there behind the stop line also at the lights, then it should let the car through before making the turn. But when someone tries to come from behind the rear of the truck and then overtake while it is turning, then that is both illegal and insane.

A typical heavy rigid truck won't need to cross into the next lane until they are more than halfway through a turn onto a 4 lane road (2 each way), so it was bad driving if he already cut across that early.

If he really needed to use the second lane in the early part of the turn, he should have straddled both lanes approaching the lights - this would prevent anyone pulling up alongside. I've seen this approach by semi drivers turning into narrower roads.

Another thing to think about - perhaps the truck pulled up after the GT at the lights, so there was no choice in being beside the truck.
Finally some common sense regarding this turning thing. At the end of the day it is the truck driver who is the "professional driver"and therefore has an obligation to do things cleaner. If he was at the lights first then he should have straddled the lines. If he pulled up after the GT then he should have waitied until after there was room to safely execute the turn.

The only way it could be considered the fault of the GT is if she pulled up after the truck, while he had indicators on. Even then it would probably be shared liability as the truch did have time to check his mirrors and take action to avoid the incident. Something that a competent professional driver is obliged to do.

By the way, sorry to hear the GT was hurt, glad no one else was though.
Old 30-05-2009, 09:34 PM   #60
CFOUR
The Destroyer

simple fix
remove trucks
and buses
and caravans
and motorcycles
and hyundais
and women drivers.

maby not so simple. one can dream though