Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-01-2008, 09:59 AM   #31
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force6
What a sad world we live in, where we must resort to physically abusing our children in order to discipline them.

But, whatever works.
yes our kids who went to school with the ones who never got punished for anything at home had to cop the spoilt kids evil nasty no respect attitudes and all because the parent never did there job, thats why 20 years later we live in times that we wonder if our teenagers will come home from pubs clubs in one piece,
go the do gooders
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2008, 10:18 AM   #32
dave289
Banned

Thats whats happens when you let to much crap in the front door.things change.just great....
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2008, 11:43 AM   #33
XM-221
Show me your boobs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
bring back the cane to fix all those problems. you dont feel like acting like a scallywag when your knuckles or backside have been beaten red raw
Be careful ||| .. some of them might like that : :

Sleekism I'm with you ... 70's and 80's for me :disco:
XM-221 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2008, 08:18 PM   #34
cupic
Nikon

The 60's kids have all grow up relative sane and normal per se

the kids of today are well you know

While corporate punishment is wrong, discipline isn't

The cane strap all where put to good use you do the crime you get what you desevre

and life moves on
cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2008, 10:14 PM   #35
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupic
The 60's kids have all grow up relative sane and normal per se

the kids of today are well you know

While corporate punishment is wrong, discipline isn't

The cane strap all where put to good use you do the crime you get what you desevre

and life moves on
I say bring back corporal punishment, the death penalty needs to be brought back (This is coming from a kid born in the 90s). The scum of my generation need a lesson hehe.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2008, 10:57 PM   #36
Ford_V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sFTW
I say bring back corporal punishment, the death penalty needs to be brought back (This is coming from a kid born in the 90s). The scum of my generation need a lesson hehe.
So true. Although there are just as many teachers around who would abuse their position of power and hit kids purely because they do not agree with them. I think police need to have the ability to have a more physical presence in the community, I cannot believe that it has become front page news and there are hundreds of whiny little girls complaining that they used capsicum spray. What is the point in even carrying a firearm or baton if you are hounded for a week for using the least intrusive method of dealing with a situation, more to the point what's the point in even having a police force if they are not allowed to do anything remotely physical without being labeled as corrupt and unneccessarily violent. I'm definitely in favour of a "flog now, ask questions later" attitude to policing as I'd say close to 80-90% of kids my age (16-18) need a kick up the .
Ford_V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2008, 11:11 PM   #37
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_V8
So true. Although there are just as many teachers around who would abuse their position of power and hit kids purely because they do not agree with them. I think police need to have the ability to have a more physical presence in the community, I cannot believe that it has become front page news and there are hundreds of whiny little girls complaining that they used capsicum spray. What is the point in even carrying a firearm or baton if you are hounded for a week for using the least intrusive method of dealing with a situation, more to the point what's the point in even having a police force if they are not allowed to do anything remotely physical without being labeled as corrupt and unneccessarily violent. I'm definitely in favour of a "flog now, ask questions later" attitude to policing as I'd say close to 80-90% of kids my age (16-18) need a kick up the .
Down at a yearly festival where my school is from has, country town with about 20-30,000 people (approx) and all the smartA feral kids from my school went down to cause trouble as usual, they complained when the cops used the spray on them, got physical then took em to the cop shop haha, it made me laugh. They got what they deserved. I agree with your first line though, i know a few teachers at my school who would love to beat up on anyone they could.

Last edited by 90sFTW; 19-01-2008 at 11:22 PM.
Old 19-01-2008, 11:14 PM   #38
Booka
OzECruisers FTW

Dose anyone have a time machine im gonna go back to the 60's it sound like we can have a bit of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbcool
imagine how it will be in 2037 (hope I'm still here to see it)

I hope im not, its bad enough now, by then i will not be able to drive a v8, becuause there wont be any fuel!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

EB II GLi, AU 4lt and auto conversion :evil3: , 17" mags, Tub's on the way, Sound system, Tinted windows, Lowered.
Booka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2008, 11:23 PM   #39
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm sure we'd be using Hydrogen by then hehe ;)
Old 19-01-2008, 11:37 PM   #40
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

yeah times now are pretty screwed up, everybody is sugar coated and bubble rapped.

world is full of pussies, i go out with mates and i'm the only one who will stand up and defend myself if i need to....

i would love to go back to the 80s buy an XA GT, cruise round, relax, cheap houses, but spastic intrest rates... and it was hard to get a job.... hrmmm there are positives and negetives to all situations you see!!!!

i for one am for diciplining children, not abusing, just if they are naughty you send them to their room and give them a smack on the bum or the back of the hand if they need it, hell i turned out alright... sure the rest of you mob would!
XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2008, 11:47 PM   #41
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Down at a yearly festival where my school is from has, country town with about 20-30,000 people (approx) and all the smartA feral kids from my school went down to cause trouble as usual, they complained when the cops used the spray on them, got physical then took em to the cop shop haha, it made me laugh. They got what they deserved. I agree with your first line though, i know a few teachers at my school who would love to beat up on anyone they could.
Also quoting my self here, i know the majority would hit back if the teacher hit us. So it wouldn't work out too well haha.
Old 19-01-2008, 11:49 PM   #42
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The cane, metre rule or tech drawing T-square across the a rse (boy it hurt during winter time) never did me any harm when I went to school. Public humiliation and paying the price and copping the punishment for your mistakes may have hurt back then, but it spelt out a very important message. Spare the rod, spoil the child.

Kids of today (not all mind you) lack numerous forms of self discipline. They do what they want, when they want and how they want and to hell with anyone else. Not to mention it is all "someone elses fault". Getting them to do a hard days work is beyond a joke (be easier to donate a kidney I reckon). They are given everything and give little in return.

Worst part about it all is WE are responsible to some degree for this "attitude" that they have.

I may not the the worlds best dad, but my children know that there are consequences in everything that you do. Taking responsibility for your actions is part of what makes you the person you "want" to be and you are also influenced by the people you associate with.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2008, 11:51 PM   #43
Kryton

Quote:
Also quoting my self here, i know the majority would hit back if the teacher hit us. So it wouldn't work out too well haha.
that is very true.
teachers shouldnt have the need to hit children though, the parents should already have instilled discipline and RESPECT into the child already.
seems that is too much to ask from 90% of the population these days.
seems the parents in most cases should be clipped a few times as well these days, its not the child's fault its been allowed to run amok without consequence.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 12:14 AM   #44
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
So that just shows your lack of respect for your elders and betters.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 01:00 AM   #45
discus177

A sad, sad Australia this has become unfortunately, i copped a hiding when i was younger from my parents when i misbehaved, copped coat hangers, belts you name it lol, and i turned out fine. My lil bro hasn't copped the same, and he's so far off the rail's it's a joke.

Bring back Australianism, not Cottonism :P - My new word!
-4.1L
-Extractors, 2.5' Exhaust - Black Interior
-Resprayed original Pine & Lime, GT Blackouts!

1994 Mazda 323 Astina Hardtop-2.0L V6 24 Valve DOHC
-Lowered
-Sports Exhaust :
discus177 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 02:23 AM   #46
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
mmm sometimes its more standing up for yourself.... i never let anyone get away with hitting me, unless it's a woman, but i spose... i could take a flogging from the teachers if i thought i deserved it...

also with the respect, i always would treat someone with respect until i thought they didnt deserve it, then they have to earn it back. fair is fair i say

my uncle used to cop the cain daily then one day he grabbed the cain out of the principles hand and belted him with it and broke it.... he got expelled but still reckons it was the best thing he ever did at school...
XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 09:39 AM   #47
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And it is important for us 'older' posters to remember, we have created "these times".
Old 20-01-2008, 11:53 AM   #48
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

become a psychologist then :P
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 03:08 PM   #49
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev
And it is important for us 'older' posters to remember, we have created "these times".
Exactly.

Am I the only one here who finds it amusing that the people here having a whinge and a sook were the ones who created these times???

It was the baby boomer generation who were all "you can't discipline kids maaaaaaan", "everyone should be free to express themselves and smoke weed on the yellow submarine".

It was the baby boomers parents who created the "good times" in the 60's and it was the baby boomers who created the times we have now all soft and bubble wrapped.

I think Dr Chopper has a soundbite..............

http://youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 04:39 PM   #50
J_Tank
Bring on the Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbcool
I can't believe this quote without evidence : : :
That post is useless without pics! LOL

More seriously my parents went to the effort to move my youngest sister out of the primary school we all attended as there was a little tool in the class that took up half the teachers time. Even threw a chair across the classroom and simply nothing was done. the other 30 kids in the class were all disadvantaged because of one individual and the school's failure to address the issue.
J_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 07:17 PM   #51
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I respect everyone, my parents have brought me up very well. In fact I've never really stepped out of line. The only time i got a detention at school was for stupid (Once for having 2 pairs of shoes inside class, one on my feet and the other under the table ready to change for after class) or being blamed for something i didn't do.

I've been brought up to respect everyone, like Women and elder people for example.

If a teacher hit me for something i didn't do then the would hit the fan.
Old 20-01-2008, 11:00 PM   #52
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

Hahahaaaa,
that is so accurate its starting to scare me.
daniel_rossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2008, 08:28 AM   #53
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
Exactly.

Am I the only one here who finds it amusing that the people here having a whinge and a sook were the ones who created these times???

It was the baby boomer generation who were all "you can't discipline kids maaaaaaan", "everyone should be free to express themselves and smoke weed on the yellow submarine".

It was the baby boomers parents who created the "good times" in the 60's and it was the baby boomers who created the times we have now all soft and bubble wrapped.
Steady on, I am a baby boomer as well - the bay boomer syndrome started with baby births after the war and went up to 1960, I fall into the late '50's vintage, so this whole 60's thing does not apply.

I was a good disciplinarian, but the difference between us and 'our' parents is that we invited our children on 'our' lives, which is something our parents never did, so our kids get to see us at our rarest, and because we are a lot closer to our kids than our parents were, we get to see their rare side as well.

And I guess for that, there is a price to pay.

The biggest problem facing our young people (and yes, this is concerning some of you) is the breaking down of the family unit, rarely is extended family involved in the raising of children anymore, far too many single parent families.

And because we are so affluent (wealthy), the fact you are involved in a forum tells me we are, we want everything NOW!!!

You young people are the NOW generation, IMHO!
Old 21-01-2008, 09:15 AM   #54
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
the problem with people/kids today is they never got the slap on the ars when they deserved it. plain and simple.
Really? I turned out just fine, and my parents made a decision when I (and then my brother was born) that they would never ever smack or use physical enforcement. My wife's family was actually the same, and her (and her 4 siblings) turned out fine as well.

We're are all respectful young adults. Those of us with kids (not myself yet), don't smack either, and also haven't had any problems yet (although the eldest are only up to 5yrs so far).

I don't believe smacking is always the answer. I to fear the fact that there are so many kids / young adults out there who do appear to have problems. But good parenting is good parenting, it's got nothing to do with smacking.

I feel one of the biggest problems is that parent's expect schools to raise their children for them. In fact, I have had a conversation with someone before who said exactly that.. "I pay the school good money, they are responsible for teaching my daughter right from wrong!". I have seen their child, and feel very sorry for that girl because her dad is a twat. He takes no responsibility and really doesn't even act like a parent. He believes that her "issues" aren't his problem. Very upsetting ...

Maybe it's something to do with lifestyle these days, with both parents forced to work due to the cost of living etc. At the end of the day, I feel, if you can't be a good parent without smacking, then you're not a good parent with smacking.

Last edited by Deadman; 21-01-2008 at 09:24 AM.
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2008, 12:52 PM   #55
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman
. . . . Maybe it's something to do with lifestyle these days, with both parents forced to work due to the cost of living etc.
In not all cases are parents "forced" to work, both parents work to satisfy their "need for greed".

Most houses these days are well over 20sq and brand new, and there are more than 2 large TV's, a number of DVD players, an SUV and a very good second car in the drive, holidays in appartments on the Gold Coast or even overseas.

People need to focus on the kids, not themselves.

So many times have I heard people saying that "the child (normally a new born) has to fit into my lifestyle" - what a crock, the kid comes first - therein lies the problem.

This is "NOW" generation I was refering to earlier.

My wife now works in child care, so sees this stuff on a daily basis.

BTW, we raised 4 kids under 4 in a 12sq 15yo house. I worked as a truck driver and my wife was a stay-at-home mum, we went on camping holidays down the river in our very 2nd car. 30 years of marriage still sees us together, the kids are nice and stable.

PS - I am sorry if I offend anyone by this post, and if it does offend you - take a closer look in the mirror. :voldar02:

Last edited by Trevor 57; 21-01-2008 at 12:57 PM.
Trevor 57 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2008, 01:01 PM   #56
Bobman
Regulator

I agree Trev.

It is a very materialistic world we live on nowadays.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2008, 01:56 PM   #57
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Big Trev - I agree with everything you have said here. I've been watching where this thread has been going, and even though Im not a baby boomer nor a "NOW" person as mentioned, the mentality of todays society is exactly that, materialistic and selfish.

We may laugh at the jokes in this particular thread, only because its so close to the truth. I think we all need to take a long look at ourselves and assess whose welfare we REALLY are looking out for.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2008, 02:01 PM   #58
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 
Talking

Man you guys are way too serious :-) I posted it because I thought it was funny. Chill pill dudes.
Old 21-01-2008, 02:23 PM   #59
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev
Steady on, I am a baby boomer as well - the bay boomer syndrome started with baby births after the war and went up to 1960, I fall into the late '50's vintage, so this whole 60's thing does not apply.

I was a good disciplinarian, but the difference between us and 'our' parents is that we invited our children on 'our' lives, which is something our parents never did, so our kids get to see us at our rarest, and because we are a lot closer to our kids than our parents were, we get to see their rare side as well.

And I guess for that, there is a price to pay.

The biggest problem facing our young people (and yes, this is concerning some of you) is the breaking down of the family unit, rarely is extended family involved in the raising of children anymore, far too many single parent families.

And because we are so affluent (wealthy), the fact you are involved in a forum tells me we are, we want everything NOW!!!

You young people are the NOW generation, IMHO!
I think you are very guilty of generalisation.

I can make a generalisation as well about how the baby boomer generation is the most selfish, greedy and destructive generation that has ever existed who are perfectly willing to destroy the future for their children and grandchildren so they can make a few more cents on their shares, have a healthy super payout and a few investment properties.

I have been personally apologised to on behalf of the baby boomer generation by an older guy at work who is disgusted by the greed of his generation and how many who cruised through university either for free or heavily subsidised are willing to impose hefty university fees on younger generations.

I apologise for insulting anyone with my generalisation but this is what it appears to be that the middle aged corporate sharks of the 80's are now setting themselves up for retirement. That they are selling off the family farm that was passed down over generations and telling their kids to "go get your own farm you lazy bum".

No baby boomers in my family. Parents born in the late 60's and grandparents were born in the 40's.

End rant
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2008, 04:14 PM   #60
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
I think you are very guilty of generalisation.

I can make a generalisation as well about how the baby boomer generation is the most selfish, greedy and destructive generation that has ever existed who are perfectly willing to destroy the future for their children and grandchildren so they can make a few more cents on their shares, have a healthy super payout and a few investment properties.

I have been personally apologised to on behalf of the baby boomer generation by an older guy at work who is disgusted by the greed of his generation and how many who cruised through university either for free or heavily subsidised are willing to impose hefty university fees on younger generations.

I apologise for insulting anyone with my generalisation but this is what it appears to be that the middle aged corporate sharks of the 80's are now setting themselves up for retirement. That they are selling off the family farm that was passed down over generations and telling their kids to "go get your own farm you lazy bum".

No baby boomers in my family. Parents born in the late 60's and grandparents were born in the 40's.

End rant
All very nice, BUT, the baby boomers did it on their/my own, with no help from anyone, there is no way known their/my parents (WWI & WWII Vetrans, 1930's Depression survivors) could afford to give any finacial help.

Maybe you should go back and read my post, in particular the bit about one income, 4 kids, small old house. Everything we have, we have worked bloody hard for, and our kids will get our house/possessions when we die.

Last edited by Trevor 57; 21-01-2008 at 04:22 PM.
Trevor 57 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post