Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-06-2007, 09:21 PM   #31
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

HIGHLIGHTS

Starting MSRP: $30,520

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starting Invoice: $28,058

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ready to buy? Get a FREE
» Internet Price Quote

BUY FOR ONLY
$405/mo.
Based on $30,520 (MSRP) starting price, 6% interest, 72 month term, down payment of $6,104 (20%), Tax, Tags, Title and other fees not included in monthly payment estimate.

Gas Mileage: 17 mpg city / 25 mpg highway
Engine: 8 Cylinder, SOHC, 4.6 Liter
Horsepower: 300 @5750 Torque: 320 @4500 ft-lbs
Trans: Manual
Drive: RWD
Fuel Capacity: 16.00 gallons Fuel Type: Unleaded
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 09:37 PM   #32
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
It's called tax. Australia is overtaxed for cars. That's the reason a BMW M5 costs $225,000 here and $80,000 in the USA. Or a 911 Turbo is $327,000 here and $122,900 in the USA. We get burned badly by our Government.
Does America offer you a Medicare plan where you don't have to pay for most medical treatment? Do they offer a Doll when you are unemployed? etc etc you get what you pay for. life isn't just about cars
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 09:43 PM   #33
Scott

Our Government gives out Doll's?
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 10:06 PM   #34
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Cool. When you go on the Dole you get a doll
Old 07-06-2007, 10:43 PM   #35
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
My brother bought one in 06 for $22,500 .. He says Pontiac don't advertise them. Thinks the locals would kick up merry hell about import models....
Every one he's taken for a ride in it wants one and asked where he got it from...

The US boards I frequent suggest you are right. There is the occassional thread about the "GTO" and members asking where they can get one. Believe it or not they really like the looks of the BA Falcon and the VX Commodore too.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2007, 08:05 AM   #36
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
Our Government gives out Doll's?

That's a far better solution isn't it?

"Lost your job? Looking for work? Here, have a doll. Good bye"
Old 08-06-2007, 09:24 AM   #37
Homer1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx3dude
m5=$80000 now how many people would buy an aussie car if that were to happen??
M5s are $US82000 which is around $98000 AUD. Still less than 1/2 our price!!
Homer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2007, 10:49 AM   #38
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
Also I read that they tried to flog them in the wrong market in classic GTO territory in the mid west instead of California.

If I lived in America I would buy the Dodge Charger or a Shelby Mustang.

Apparently a Mustang V8 is the same price as a base model falcon!!!!!
The basic RWD V6 Charger like the blacke one is seen more on the roads than the Fusion or Taurus (500) or the GM products that compete in that market. I like the SRT Hemi Daytona in the Charger range the silver one in the pic is a Hemi V8 powered one with AWD? they sell them as AWD as well as RWD. The car next to it is the car Chrysler is bring to Australia to compete against Camary, Honda & Mazda 6.

A couple of pic also of 2 early Camaros rotting away under snow in wrecker yard Cidarcity UTAH & a 60's Barracuda in the Wal-Mart car park in the same town. Pics were taken in March this year

buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2007, 11:22 AM   #39
da_ilks

The Pontiac GTO isn't as well specified as the Monaro, which helps. Things like leather seats/climate etc aren't standard, unlike the Monaro here.
da_ilks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2007, 11:54 AM   #40
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Still the Dode Charger looks tougher than the Pontiac GTO and has a better and more powerful V8-cast iron block 317kw OHV with the famous HEMI name.

Imagine whats going to happen when they release the new Dodge Challenger.

Hmmm maybe Ford should sell Volvo and buy Dodge or at least the factory where they build the new Hemi V8.

Can you imagine a GT with a 317kw Hemi in it.................
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2007, 12:03 PM   #41
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some of you people live in a sheltered little world.

Yes we are taxed more heavily than yanks both directly and indirectly.

We have a country the same size as USA but with 5% of the population. We still need roads to travel all that distance.
We have medicare, they have nothing.....you get sick without medical insurance, you die.
We have unemployement benifits, they have shortterm social security then you starve or commit crimes and get shot (not necessarily by police or sherrifs).
We have mobile phone coverage over most of the country, they have 100 different phone companies who rip you severly if you are on another network because of coverage.

Who do you think pays for all this stuff?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2007, 12:14 PM   #42
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Also I read that they tried to flog them in the wrong market in classic GTO territory in the mid west instead of California.

If I lived in America I would buy the Dodge Charger or a Shelby Mustang.

Apparently a Mustang V8 is the same price as a base model falcon!!!!!
RRP on a shelby is $41,ooo usd. Most have sold for over $5o,ooo as the dealers screw you over there.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2007, 12:35 PM   #43
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Some of you people live in a sheltered little world.

Yes we are taxed more heavily than yanks both directly and indirectly.

We have a country the same size as USA but with 5% of the population. We still need roads to travel all that distance.
We have medicare, they have nothing.....you get sick without medical insurance, you die.
We have unemployement benifits, they have shortterm social security then you starve or commit crimes and get shot (not necessarily by police or sherrifs).
We have mobile phone coverage over most of the country, they have 100 different phone companies who rip you severly if you are on another network because of coverage.

Who do you think pays for all this stuff?
Hmmmm well the State Government pays for the roads, the cops, the schools, the hospitals and pretty much everything and they get their money from payroll tax, levees and the GST.

So where the FRUK is a third of my pay check going???????????

I don't get medicare or centrelink cos apparently I make too much money and I pay for my HECS out of my own pocket so what the fruk are they doing with my money.

Am I the only one who wonders why I pay so much income tax when the State and Local Governments do all the work???

Howard goes on about a huge budget surplus well geez I would have leftover money if I didn't spend anything either!!!!

Also the U.S. may pay no taxes but they also have the advatanges of housing at a fraction of the price of Australia, Petrol at 25 cents a litre, 1% interest rates and a Government patriotic about local industry (wonder why the Falcon has never been exported to the U.S?) and a world class education system (There is not a single Australian uni in the top 100, some US unis have budgets bigger then some countries and Australia is the only nation in the developed world to actually cut back on uni funding).

Americans get good value for their money which Australians don't if they need more they just run a deficit the U.S. has been in deficit since the early 80's and are still going strong they just keep printing money!
Old 08-06-2007, 01:33 PM   #44
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hmmmm well the State Government pays for the roads, the cops, the schools, the hospitals and pretty much everything and they get their money from payroll tax, levees and the GST.

So where the FRUK is a third of my pay check going???????????

I don't get medicare or centrelink cos apparently I make too much money and I pay for my HECS out of my own pocket so what the fruk are they doing with my money.

Am I the only one who wonders why I pay so much income tax when the State and Local Governments do all the work???

Howard goes on about a huge budget surplus well geez I would have leftover money if I didn't spend anything either!!!!

Also the U.S. may pay no taxes but they also have the advatanges of housing at a fraction of the price of Australia, Petrol at 25 cents a litre, 1% interest rates and a Government patriotic about local industry (wonder why the Falcon has never been exported to the U.S?) and a world class education system (There is not a single Australian uni in the top 100, some US unis have budgets bigger then some countries and Australia is the only nation in the developed world to actually cut back on uni funding).

Americans get good value for their money which Australians don't if they need more they just run a deficit the U.S. has been in deficit since the early 80's and are still going strong they just keep printing money!
And some live on planet Zorg......

You know that little meeting the Premiers have with the Prime Minister. The one on the news where they talk about federal funding for the states. Well what happens is the federal government gives money to the states. And have you heard the term "federally funded road" used with such goat tracks as the Hume/Pacific/Bruce hwy?

Housing is a fraction of the price of here? Petrol at 25c/l? 1% interest rates? Uni funding?
Must be a different USA from the one I have been to many times. You see I, like many here have ACTUALLY been to USA and do not get my information from reruns of Beverly Hills 90210.

Student loans ring a bell? You have to PAY UP FRONT for tertiary education in USA, no HECS.
Petrol prices, well you must be very clever to find that because last time I was there it was a bit over $2.60/gal (that is US gal which equals about 4 litres). Of couse that was 2005 so I checked at http://www.losangelesgasprices.com/ and it seems like you are just a little bit out.

And then I checked interest rates for the same area.
http://www.bankrate.com/gookeyword/r...mortgage_rates

If you are going to make stupid outlandish statements remember that you are not talking with your buddies at school and you might get checked up on.
Things like being 18 years old and stating in your profile you are an engineer do little to assist your credibility too.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:03 PM   #45
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Its called vertical fiscal imbalance - I learnt something this week and had to share. sorry.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2007, 02:20 PM   #46
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
And some live on planet Zorg......

You know that little meeting the Premiers have with the Prime Minister. The one on the news where they talk about federal funding for the states. Well what happens is the federal government gives money to the states. And have you heard the term "federally funded road" used with such goat tracks as the Hume/Pacific/Bruce hwy?

Housing is a fraction of the price of here? Petrol at 25c/l? 1% interest rates? Uni funding?
Must be a different USA from the one I have been to many times. You see I, like many here have ACTUALLY been to USA and do not get my information from reruns of Beverly Hills 90210.

Student loans ring a bell? You have to PAY UP FRONT for tertiary education in USA, no HECS.
Petrol prices, well you must be very clever to find that because last time I was there it was a bit over $2.60/gal (that is US gal which equals about 4 litres). Of couse that was 2005 so I checked at http://www.losangelesgasprices.com/ and it seems like you are just a little bit out.

And then I checked interest rates for the same area.
http://www.bankrate.com/gookeyword/r...mortgage_rates

If you are going to make stupid outlandish statements remember that you are not talking with your buddies at school and you might get checked up on.
Things like being 18 years old and stating in your profile you are an engineer do little to assist your credibility too.
I think all that Federally funded road means is that the sign was paid for by the Government lol.

I apologise if my facts are incorrect I haven't been to the U.S.and get my facts from documentaries I've watched and my uncle who visited the U.S. in the late 90's as well as some books.

What I was simply stating is that Australia is in a terrible situation where taxes are going up, inflation is going crazy yet the Government is slashing the budget.

Keysian economics anyone that is what we should be doing to avoid recession.

And for the comments about me not being an engineer is just rude.

I am a Junior Engineer at a Civil Engineering firm and am studying Civil Engineering by correspondence for all basic purposes I do the job of an engineer so that is what I like to call myself.

Back on topic Ford NA has in fact scaled back production on the Mustang to increase demand and drive up profits I heard that if they put a stang on the showroom floor it's sold in 45 minutes pretty good for a 200kw V8 with a live axle.

Basic formula cheap affordable muscle.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:26 PM   #47
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Federal Government fund's a lot more than the State's let on too! While the states are responsible for certain things it doesn't mean that they are the ones funding it...
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2007, 02:40 PM   #48
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perana XR8
The Federal Government fund's a lot more than the State's let on too! While the states are responsible for certain things it doesn't mean that they are the ones funding it...
As an indicator - in financial year 04/05 the Commonwealth government supplied 41% of the NSW government's income. A lot of it is in the form of tied grants though - i.e. the states haev to spend it how the feds tell them to.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:49 PM   #49
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Can we please not get into politics I wish we hadn't wandered that way as people on this forum are from a wide range of political backgrounds.

Conclusion to forum:

Faster and better handling Pontiac GTO even when heavily discounted was buried by crude bargain price Mustang.

If your in the US buy a Pontiac GTO they are a bargain or hire a Shelby GT-H as they are cool.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:10 PM   #50
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking

Quote:
Conclusion to forum:

Faster and better handling Pontiac GTO even when heavily discounted was buried by crude bargain price Mustang.

If your in the US buy a Pontiac GTO they are a bargain or hire a Shelby GT-H as they are cool.
But the GTO is so ugly!!! It looks like a sucked lollipop with stupid scoops and vents stuck all over it. Charger looks cool or the new Camaro, and the Caddie CTS-V....mmmm

Old 08-06-2007, 03:11 PM   #51
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Sleekism quote.. "What I was simply stating is that Australia is in a terrible situation where taxes are going up, inflation is going crazy yet the Government is slashing the budget."

Mate.. The only "crazy" bit is outlandish, uninformed quotes like the above!

"Terrible situation"?? Compared to where??
Try living in ZIMBABWE! annual inflation is now only 1020% odd, down from a record 1,204% last year!... What's Oz's running at? 2.4% or so?
Have a check also of new car registrations over the last 2 or 3 yrs?..
REALLY... Just HOW terrible is our situation???
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2007, 03:21 PM   #52
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

heheh somehow a thread on a $31000 Monaro on US Ebay led to a discussion on inflation rates in Zimbabwe - only on FF...

Old 08-06-2007, 03:59 PM   #53
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool
Sleekism quote.. "What I was simply stating is that Australia is in a terrible situation where taxes are going up, inflation is going crazy yet the Government is slashing the budget."

Mate.. The only "crazy" bit is outlandish, uninformed quotes like the above!

"Terrible situation"?? Compared to where??
Try living in ZIMBABWE! annual inflation is now only 1020% odd, down from a record 1,204% last year!... What's Oz's running at? 2.4% or so?
Have a check also of new car registrations over the last 2 or 3 yrs?..
REALLY... Just HOW terrible is our situation???
Hmmm well inflation is outstripping wage growth.

House prices in my area have grown 500%, food prices have gone up, petrol has gone up, HECS have gone up, the GST increased inflation by 10% in one go, taxes have gone up.

Wages have been steady if not declining my mum made more money when she was 16 working in a chicken factory than she does as a nurse.

The only reasons things have improved is a booming Chinese economy and low interest rates (which are high comparatively seeing as they are close to 0% in Japan).

As usual Australia is wasting oppurtunity, imagine what would be happening now if Whitlam did nationalise the mining industry............

Now lets move away from politics or at least move the spiel to the bar
Old 08-06-2007, 05:01 PM   #54
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GST increased inflation 10%?... Inflation isn't near 10% as it is!

IF what you mean is that the GST put up prices 10% in one go then that is wrong as well as most items had Sales tax on them that ranged from being nothing to being 17% or even 22%.

Wages being constant for the last 20 odd years?!?!! a big WTF with that one
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2007, 05:56 PM   #55
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I am a Junior Engineer at a Civil Engineering firm and am studying Civil Engineering by correspondence for all basic purposes I do the job of an engineer so that is what I like to call myself.
An engineer is a person who holds a degree in engineering or has been admitted to IEEE.

You calling yourself an engineer because you are studying engineering is no different from a medical student calling themself a doctor, a law student calling themself a solicitor, an education student calling themself a teacher or a business student calling themself an accountant.

You are NOT an engineer and even though you like to call yourself one YOU are just being rude to all the ACTUAL engineers.

But then almost everything else you post on here has at best tenuous links with reality at best so in your fantasy you probably are an engineer.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:54 PM   #56
Fordmuscle1965

[QUOTE=sleekism]

QUOTE]

Ahh.. Your a student mate.. I do my maintenance on my cars but I can not walk into fords a get a job as a mechanic!
Fordmuscle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2007, 07:19 PM   #57
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:

I am a Junior Engineer at a Civil Engineering firm and am studying Civil Engineering by correspondence for all basic purposes I do the job of an engineer so that is what I like to call myself..
Bugger me, 5yrs at uni and working in the industry as an IEAust recognised Engineer are totally unimportant. I could have just told everyone i was an Engineer and everything would have been sweet.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2007, 09:34 PM   #58
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

God damn Pontiac screwed up the monaros grill :togo:
Old 09-06-2007, 03:13 AM   #59
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quote:
Hmmm well inflation is outstripping wage growth.

House prices in my area have grown 500%, food prices have gone up, petrol has gone up, HECS have gone up, the GST increased inflation by 10% in one go, taxes have gone up.
Prices only go up for one reason. People are prepared to pay more for the same thing. If the general public decides it isn't going to pay 500% more for a house than the price won't increase 500%.
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2007, 08:42 AM   #60
Fordmuscle1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serial_Fool
God damn Pontiac screwed up the monaros grill :togo:
They may have screwed up the Monaro's grille, but I reckon the new G8's grille looks a whole lot better than the Aussie Dunnydore effort!

http://editorial.carsales.com.au/car...w/2349307.aspx

Im sure GM are BMW Wannabe's
Fordmuscle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post