Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-12-2005, 12:56 AM   #31
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUCOON
A simple fix to your problem don't speed!
A simple enough proposition, does not take into account receiving a speeding fine when the dill has mis-set the applicable speed limit.

Daddy, what is 'speeding'?
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2005, 08:44 AM   #32
devil cv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpursuit83
Maybe we can argue that it alerts you of emergency vehicles ??
And thats what u use it for
It would be an interesting legal experiment, unfortunately I dont have the 9 points and over $1k spare in case it doesn't work.

Also it wouldn't work if the box and ads declare it to be a radar detector...
the main thing is there are defences...
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2005, 09:20 AM   #33
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my mate was travelling down the Bruce hiway stuck in a group of cars in his old stock XW sedan when cop went past and did a screaming uturn to round up a few cars and pick him to pull over,(he had a radar detector hidden behind his grill)as soon as he detected the cops radar he turned his unit off before police car had done the uturn.
when he spoke to cop he denied having one so they searched his car until they found it and handed him over $1200 in tickets plus ripped out the detector,
they showed him a box on the dash of police car made of slapped together alloy sheet with 5 or 6 switches and lights on front panel and written in texta above each light was brand names of several detectors.
amazing but true
he still cant work out how they knew it was his car as the other newer cars in front and behind were left out while they specifically ran him down in his old banger XW.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2005, 10:39 AM   #34
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Quote:
It would be an interesting legal experiment, unfortunately I dont have the 9 points and over $1k spare in case it doesn't work
This is the main thing that stops a lot of challenges, have to be rich to win

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2005, 10:51 AM   #35
F6 UTE
Banned

AFAIK, the cops are not allowed to search your car for a decvice. This is backed up by the 'surrender' points in abovementions traffic act.
F6 UTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2005, 10:55 AM   #36
AUCOON

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZapXR6T
Thanks for the comment AUCOON, I am sure you have never spead, there is always one tosser in the crowd

The LIDAR jammers will detect and countermeasure a LIDAR reading.
They will cost you around the $500-600 mark.
Don't know what spead is i think it's speed you mean, i suppose you are on your P plates and have to drive flat out everywhere. And as for a tosser it would be you!! i guess you have never witnessed a member of your family being hit head and killed by another speeding driver who lost control.
And yes i had been over the speed limit before, but after what i witnessed i don't speed any more.
AUCOON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2005, 11:08 AM   #37
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Thanks for the comment AUCOON, I am sure you have never spead, there is always one tosser in the crowd
That is a bit harsh! IMO is was a relevant question and not one that required a personal insult.

I have to agree with AUCOON, sure I go over the limit by a small amount (around 10k's) quite often depending on the conditions. I am like most people that are honest with themselves. I have even been known to go over the limit by a lot when the risk is low and I am enjoying the XR8. I don't however see the need to spend $3000+ on all this anti radar/laser technology unless you constantly speed and probably in some of the wrong conditions. I see them breeding the habit of "I don't have to slow down here because I know there are no speed traps".
I don't have any form of detector and I have not had a ticket in 4 years, my last being for less than 15 k's over so I now have the full 12 points left. I have had a couple of warnings but that is because I know how to pass the police attitude test. I just do not see the need for all this illegal technology unless you intend to get you money's worth in which case I seriously question the safety of that attitude. Lets not forget these things can not tell you when a kid is going to run out on the road or another car is going to pull out in front of you.
My point is we should be able to debate the subject in this forum but I think personal attacks are best left out, we are supposed to be all friends here with a common goal, to enjoy our cars.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:14 AM   #38
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 UTE
AFAIK, the cops are not allowed to search your car for a decvice. This is backed up by the 'surrender' points in abovementions traffic act.
If the cops have reasonable cause to believe you have an illegal device, they can search your car. They could also do a search on the grounds of a roadworthy inspection which they have the right to do at any time. They do not have to justify this and if they come across the detector, your gone. They can not inspect personal belongings (bags etc) as part of this inspection but they can certainly do a vehicle check. If they did do a roadworthy check of a car, found a detector as part of it, you would not have a hope in trying to convince the courts the detector was found improperly.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:32 AM   #39
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes i liked the bit about cops not having the power to search bit too,they can do what they want as its your word against their's in court and no judge will take the publics side against an Australian Police Officer.with our new anti terror laws they can even make you dissapear for 14 days,so good luck F6 Ute when you next decide to argue the finer points of law with a cop on some deserted back road late at night.lol'
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2005, 11:36 AM   #40
The Taipan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoxr8
If the cops have reasonable cause to believe you have an illegal device, they can search your car. They could also do a search on the grounds of a roadworthy inspection which they have the right to do at any time. They do not have to justify this and if they come across the detector, your gone. They can not inspect personal belongings (bags etc) as part of this inspection but they can certainly do a vehicle check. If they did do a roadworthy check of a car, found a detector as part of it, you would not have a hope in trying to convince the courts the detector was found improperly.
That's why the personal detectors are better, because the laws governing their searching of YOUR body are much more strict from what I understand, but that isn't a definite either, they still reserve that right, they just have to be a little more judicious about how they go about it.
The Taipan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2005, 11:46 AM   #41
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Taipan
That's why the personal detectors are better, because the laws governing their searching of YOUR body are much more strict from what I understand, but that isn't a definite either, they still reserve that right, they just have to be a little more judicious about how they go about it.

That is very true but not fool proof. If they have indication that one is present, they can detain you in place until clearance for a search is obtained. They do have the right to search a person if they have reasonable suspicion that there is an illegal item on that person, I guess a detector signal would be sufficient cause for a search. I am tipping they would mess you around for a long time and probably use the time to go through your car with a very fine tooth comb too, be pretty lucky to get away without some form of defect notice as well.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:09 PM   #42
devil cv8

Quote:
Not in NSW they can't. The NSW ombudsman has issued guidleines for the police to follow which includes no personal search, no luggage search, search confined to easily accessable areas, no dismantling, no defecting of vehicle or sending it somewhere to be searched.

There was a case a few years back where a truck driver had his truck searched and the detector seized. It was established in court that what the officer said about how he knew the truck had a detector was an impossability, and the truckie won his case and had the item returned to him. (I just hope he walked home with it as he'd be breaking the law to drive home with it)

It was after this incident that the ombudsman issued his guidlines.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:56 PM   #43
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil cv8
There was a case a few years back where a truck driver had his truck searched and the detector seized. It was established in court that what the officer said about how he knew the truck had a detector was an impossability, and the truckie won his case and had the item returned to him. (I just hope he walked home with it as he'd be breaking the law to drive home with it)

It was after this incident that the ombudsman issued his guidlines.
It would be interesting to know more details of the case as the information that the cop was working on must have been shakey. If they have a detector that picks up the speed detector and they get a hit, that would probably be able to be argued that they had reasonable suspicion of the presence of an illegal device, therefore able to get clearance for a search. Sounds to me that the cop had no such device or positive hit and was in fact fishing, therefore reasonable that he walked.

As for the vehicle search, this can be done easily under the guise of a road worthy, depends how hidden the device is. No they may not dismantle the vehicle but if they find reason to defect the vehicle (other than suspected presence of a detector), it may be found at the pits. They do not need much reason to defect a vehicle, lowered suspension that is doubtful, loud exhaust or even an empty washer bottle (know of this happening, failed attitude test)will do. Once it is over the pits it is very possible it will be found.

I still believe that anyone going to this level to have a radar detector is purposefully going out of the way to enable themselves to speed and showing complete disregard for both the law and public safety. Yes I agree that a lot of the speed limits are too low but using devices to attempt to make yourself above the law is not the way to make a point. I am sorry but I have no sympathy for anyone caught breaking traffic law (nor do I expect any on the odd occasion I get caught), or using illegal detection devices. I am a strong believer that if you get caught doing the wrong thing, take responsibility for your actions. I am no angel and have never professed to be, but I don't expect to be above the law in any way and accept my punishment in the manner I should if I do wrong. IMO anyone caught selling these things in a state that it is illegal, should be done for it as they are breaking the law too.

This is all my opinion, take it for what it is worth and disregard if you wish. I often do not agree with the road laws and certainly do not agree with the way they are enforced sometimes, but I disagree with expecting to be able to get away with purposefully breaking those laws. I accept that many will use these devices in the capacity of reminding them to slow down and prevent the odd accidental ticket. The problem is that there are many that will use them to get away with insane speeds on public roads and dangerous areas and thay are the people that these laws are written for.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:10 PM   #44
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Quote:
I accept that many will use these devices in the capacity of reminding them to slow down and prevent the odd accidental ticket. The problem is that there are many that will use them to get away with insane speeds on public roads and dangerous areas and thay are the people that these laws are written for.
To true, I have a detector and it has saved me heaps of money, couple of kays over and its 50 bucks. It works very well as a reminder to check speed. Its always beeping at something, so I am always checking my speed.
The detector was abused and now its illegal, but I dont think anyone who abused there use has now slowed down ?

I can only hope WA can put up a decent argument not to ban them here.

John :

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Old 08-12-2005, 05:21 PM   #45
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
To true, I have a detector and it has saved me heaps of money, couple of kays over and its 50 bucks. It works very well as a reminder to check speed. Its always beeping at something, so I am always checking my speed.
The detector was abused and now its illegal, but I dont think anyone who abused there use has now slowed down ?

I can only hope WA can put up a decent argument not to ban them here.

John :

I have no problem with them in that situation and actually believe that it is a shame that people like you will not be able to use them in the future. In regards to their use in WA, enjoy it while it lasts as the move to national road laws will see them disappear.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:07 PM   #46
GT-E

They beep like a normal radar detector, but will activly jam as well.
GT-E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2005, 06:09 PM   #47
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
??????Did I miss something??????
Old 08-12-2005, 07:58 PM   #48
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Quote:
??????Did I miss something??????
:ticking: let me know when u find out :ticking:

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Old 08-12-2005, 08:08 PM   #49
devil cv8

Quote:
It would be interesting to know more details of the case as the information that the cop was working on must have been shakey. If they have a detector that picks up the speed detector and they get a hit, that would probably be able to be argued that they had reasonable suspicion of the presence of an illegal device, therefore able to get clearance for a search. Sounds to me that the cop had no such device or positive hit and was in fact fishing, therefore reasonable that he walked.
IIRC it was proven that the RDD the cop had couldn't pick up the detector the truckie had, and the cop was going on the assumption all truckies have a detector. therefore the cop didn't have reasonable grounds to search the truck.

Quote:
As for the vehicle search, this can be done easily under the guise of a road worthy, depends how hidden the device is. No they may not dismantle the vehicle but if they find reason to defect the vehicle (other than suspected presence of a detector), it may be found at the pits. They do not need much reason to defect a vehicle, lowered suspension that is doubtful, loud exhaust or even an empty washer bottle (know of this happening, failed attitude test)will do. Once it is over the pits it is very possible it will be found.
As the vehicle can't be forced to go straight for an inspection, any stealthly mounted detector would be removed (or at least totally disconnected so identification is impossible) by the owner prior to rocking up for an inspection.

as for the rest of your comments, they are fair enough (I agree with some of them)and everyone is entitled to an opinion.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:10 PM   #50
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Quote:
Jam, what flavour? Jam and scones for tea. Tea. Did someone mention tea?

Old 09-12-2005, 02:46 PM   #51
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

What is it with the T pots. Someone please tell me, they are everywhere

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Old 09-12-2005, 02:53 PM   #52
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Quote:
What is it with the T pots. Someone please tell me, they are everywhere
Did someone mention Tea Pot?
Old 09-12-2005, 03:07 PM   #53
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

That is that funny tea isn't it?
Old 09-12-2005, 07:53 PM   #54
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

:yeees: never thought of trying my Tea Pot:yeees:

(And I said please)

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Old 09-12-2005, 10:27 PM   #55
Gauntster

RDD are for real in this country and abroad in the US. The best RDD on the market is the Stalcar Mk3 RDD, this unit is locally produced in Queensland by a company called Stealth Micro Systems Pty Ltd.
The unit is sold under the name of Spectra RDD in the US and has had great success, in alot of states in the US it leagal to purchase and use a Radar Detector so the local law enfocement are always chasing the latest and greatest in radar detection and this is why they use the Australian Made RDD, aswell as in mainly the east coast states of Australia.
I once had a great RD that saved me countless times and was invisible against the VG2 RDD (old US model RDD), it was a Bel and I can't remember the model number and it ran on 2x AA batteries, that was until I drove to Queensland for the Winternationals at Willowbank in 04'.
I drove past a HWP car just over the NSW border on the QLD side and I picked up his radar and slowed down. The HWP car didn't turn around and I kept driving.
About 10 minutes later I looked up to see the same HWP car flying up behind me, the RD did not go off, and he proceeded to pull me over and in the mean time I hid the detector under the passenger seat.
The copper told me that I had been alerted on the Stalcar RDD and that I had an RD and he wanted me to produce it, I denied the fact and he again insisted that I had an RD.
Not being sure of my rights in QLD I gave him the RD. I asked the copper how he knew that I had the RD and he showed me the RDD unit attached to the windscreen of the HWP car. First the RDD detects the RD when the suspect vehicle is driving past, the copper then turns around and proceeds to sneak up on the cars that past the HWP car at the time in which the RDD alerted. The radar is turned off when the copper does this so as to not alert the suspect vehicle. The copper then drives up behind the suspect vehicle with the alerting RDD getting loader and more consistant as the HWP car gets closer.
Once the copper is certain that this is the right car he pulls the suspect car over and go through the routine.
The RDD can be set so once it detects an RD it turns the radar on. It does this because the RDD has a much broader band width than the radar and also has a greater detection field, up to 1000m at 360 degrees, the idea of this trickery is to lure the RD user into a trap so they pinned for speeding aswell as for the use of the RD.
I was lucky that I got busted in QLD as it was double demerit points in NSW at the time, I was also informed that the NSW HWP at Glenn Innes use these units and they are slowly being accepted as the standard through out NSW and the rest of Australia.
I did not have to appear in court and received a $250.00 fine that was at the judges discretion, no points loss but loss of the RD that was once mine.
The only RD that are invisible to these units are the ones made here by local manufactures, these units are all upgradeable. The best ones that I know of are made by a company based in Botany in Sydney and I am not about to disclose the name because as you know well they are illeagal and cost half the price of the previously mentioned manufacturer in QLD.
The best RD that money could buy would be a non noise emitting unit that would be physically impossible to detect then and only then would the war be won against the RDD's.

Don't get caught,

Gauntster. :togo:
Gauntster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 01:58 AM   #56
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

just don't speed on main roads, saves you alot of money ether in fines or detectors
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
eb91xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 01:32 PM   #57
Gauntster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb91xr6
just don't speed on main roads, saves you alot of money ether in fines or detectors
Your talking like a seasoned do gooder but under your user name you have the phrase "Led foot" and have a host of modifications listed and next to the end one is listed as "for **** factor". Shouldn't all of the list be classed as **** factor, or are you another one that only puts his/her foot down when "on the track".
In Sydney, and I'm sure it is probably the same case in the other major cities, 90 - 95% of people "speed" on a weekly basis. Dead lines to meet, mum late to pick up the kids, drivers not knowing what the speed limit is because it changes back and forth all of the time. With the speed limits dropping in some areas to 40KPH you can't tell me that you have never found yourself just a little over the speed limit.
Oh and another thing should we just speed on back streets only? :
Gauntster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 01:38 PM   #58
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

i don't say i never speed its just taking your chances, if you can't afford to get court then don't speed, and the police are after revinue and they never put speed camra's on backstreets as they will catch more people on the freeway, any you can spot camra's before you go past them because there the only new commodor in a clearway
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
eb91xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 03:36 PM   #59
perthxr6t
PERTHXR6T

I have a Whistler Detector in mine picks up everything going around in WA cost around $450 on special and will pick up VS-G Doesn't mean i go over the Speed limit well not all the time but it's nice to know where they are as they do like to hide from us motorists and if i do give the car a boot it is when no-one is one the HWY in front of me.

Once the detector goes off you only have a couple of seconds anyway to reduce your speed or your nailed so pays to go 5-10 k's over the limit depending on which road you are driving on mine is mostly HWY use and 115-120 is a good speed for cruzing but in WA you will get away with 115 but over that and you get done.

Panther Black XR5T Mondeo
Sunroof
BlueTooth
Mods So Far

Air Box Mod
Lowered Eibach Springs 25mm
Alloy foot Pedals
Waiting for the Edit to come
Custom Cat Back Zorst
perthxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 04:41 PM   #60
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Got a mate who used to be a copper. We went out to Sydney airport and he tested the cop radar against a Fairchild Metro III that I was sitting in. He put his radar on and joined me in the pit. We fired up the right engine to simulate normal amperage in the planes electrics and turned the GPWS (Ground Proximity Warning System) and normal weather radar on. It fried the radar in the cop car as well as the ignition module in the SS. Now I know why they tell you to never stand in front of an aircraft with the radar on: eg, never walk in front of a 747 with its radar on or you will cook from the inside out.

So, to beat the cops all you need is a spare $7K and an area about 1 foot cubed in front of your engine bay to fit the dish.

Quote: