Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 30-06-2006, 08:07 PM   #31
used

going over 45km and get impounded......

what about grandma doing 30km lower ??
she is causing more problems den hoons....
Slow drivers cause more problem than hoons........
Old 30-06-2006, 08:07 PM   #32
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we all need to be able to outrun the police. Thats what its coming down to.. and thats what will happen. Thing is, many cars cannot outrun police (at least the drivers cant), but will try to anyway and will crash and burn. Just wait and see....

Motocyclists do it many times every day. But they can get away with it because the cops know they have no chance and give up straight away or very quickly. I just dont get it why they are forcing people to do runners.....stupid.

Have spoken to a HWP cop before, he said he doesnt even bother chasing big motorbikes that are doing 140 or more, cos they just take off (9 out of 10 times). He goes for cars and motorbikes doing less than that because they are likely to stop for him....

The motobikers know that they can get away, and thats what they do.
Car drivers will try and do that next, but will probably get chased into a tree.
Old 30-06-2006, 08:30 PM   #33
djjase
IT JUST GET'S BETTER

Some of these rules have being in effect for awhile in NSW. I had my Company Car VT SS commodore impounded for supposedly doing a burn out in the rain while in Uladalla back in 2000. Lost 6 points straight away, it was double dermit. Had to bus it and train it back to Sydney. Company rang up and got it back a few days later.
I have a XR6T 6 speed manual and it's very easy for the wheels to loose traction, especially turning into a corner with gravel on it. I hope these laws dont come to the ACT. I feel sorry for you guys/girls from VIC. And I wanted to move to Melb. Maybe might be better staying here.
Old 30-06-2006, 10:04 PM   #34
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

bs. Glad I don't live in Victoria...

If 41 crashes in 23 months is worthy enough of Hoon laws... that equates to just shy of 2 crashes per month.. which may have involved other factors... weather, B.A.L., poor vision, car in bad condition, inexperiance, etc...

Now at 2 crashes per month for hoon-related crashes... now how many crashes per month for drink driving related? 50? Maybe these same laws should be in place for drink drivers....

Excessive Noise.... Revving your car in neutral means your a hoon?!?!?! bwahahaha....

Stupid polititians....

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 01-07-2006, 12:05 AM   #35
EFFalcon
Last warning

yay, its officially the start of the new laws.
time to go lose my car!
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
Old 01-07-2006, 09:40 AM   #36
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
we all need to be able to outrun the police. Thats what its coming down to.. and thats what will happen. Thing is, many cars cannot outrun police (at least the drivers cant), but will try to anyway and will crash and burn. Just wait and see....

Motocyclists do it many times every day. But they can get away with it because the cops know they have no chance and give up straight away or very quickly. I just dont get it why they are forcing people to do runners.....stupid.

Have spoken to a HWP cop before, he said he doesnt even bother chasing big motorbikes that are doing 140 or more, cos they just take off (9 out of 10 times). He goes for cars and motorbikes doing less than that because they are likely to stop for him....

The motobikers know that they can get away, and thats what they do.
Car drivers will try and do that next, but will probably get chased into a tree.

So.. to paraphrase.. lets do something that is REALLY dangerous and risk yourself ( no loss ) and the police ( well.. they are trained but its still dangerous ) but more importantly INNOCENT bystanders or road users ...to save the loss of a POSSESSION because you got caught doing something stupid.

Yay for you and anyone else that thinks this is good :lookedat:
Old 01-07-2006, 09:41 AM   #37
HOON69
Banned

welcome to NSW QLD and most states whom have adapted these laws,i for one only see a few issues with the VIC hoon laws but luckily for me i live 2000k's and probably wont ever go to VICTORIA any time soon anyways :P

i'd love for the goverment to show more realistic stats
like 5am-7pm minor or major accident to and from working hours
then show drink driving accident figures

then show hoon related figures,then see whom are the real menices on the road ;)

see the thing is these days HOONS are so many things that even a 8yr old going through a red light camera in a shopping trolley is a damn hoon.

the word hoon is over used and is just a word to excuse or blame someone for something,these days your a friggin hoon for playing loud music FFS how pathetic is that crap,when will it stop.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:53 AM   #38
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A few more thoughts.

Will the hoon laws automatically apply if you are caught doing any of the listed offences, or is it up to the discretion of the police?

If you were charged with 3 or 4 offences for the one incident as shane3 was, would it be grounds for the goverment to sell your car?

What is the consequences in regards to financed cars? It would essentially make a car loan an unsecured loan.

Will it be possible to insure car car against being confiscated by the government?

How is it fair to punish the owner of the car rather than the driver?

How long until hoon laws apply for breaking the speed limit by 25km/h or 15km/h?

How can it be argued that the fine fits the crime. Go and assault someone and you won't find yourself facing a $40,000 fine. Commit the 'crime' of lending your $40,000 car to the wrong person and you could find yourself effectively fined $40,000.

How do the police determine that a loss of tyre traction was intentional?
Old 01-07-2006, 10:41 AM   #39
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Well, these laws probably seem a little over the top but I for one, don't have any problems with them.
Lets look at breaking traction for example; as was mentioned earlier, there are times when it is easy to do so, in the wet, turning out onto a higher road that leaves your rear wheels with unequal downforce, gritty surfaces etc....

Now, if a copper sees this happening in an almost acceptable circumstance, do you really think that he will always throw the book at you just because the law exists? No. I don't think so but if you happen to look like a typical wideboy then yes, you stand a better chance of getting done and from the responses on this thread, many of those with the issues are those who are blatently admitting to breaking these laws anyway....... :

I do drive a little aggressively sometimes and if I lose my car I lose my job instantly. My bad. I can't blame anyone else for this.
IMHO most people that I know who have been "targeted" by the police generally were asking for it and there are enough cocky little bastards here in Sydney to keep the cops occupied!
I am 30 and look young still but the XC will be absolute cop bait and frankly was prior to the resto but I still have 12 points on my licence and I intend to keep it that way.
Vic may have a sterner policy than NSW but its hardly a free for all here either!

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
Old 01-07-2006, 10:55 AM   #40
TZENU
XY Driv3r

I can say half-heartedly that i somewhat agree with SOME aspects of the new hoon law...

However seeing that the boys in blue seem to get a power surge particularly when it comes to modified cars, i can see that its going to cause chaos to all owners of such vehicles.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:00 AM   #41
PH47
Ford Power, in a Merc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
So if you make "excessive noise" (thats a pretty loose definition) or spinning a wheel (pretty easy to do in the wet), you can have your car impounded or sold on the spot, but get caught driving drunk (an offense much more dangerous) then you get a slap on the wrist. The laws in this country just get better and better...
Agreed.. :(

It's getting rediculous..
Old 01-07-2006, 12:22 PM   #42
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ill put it simple

dont drive like an idiot and you have nothing to worry about

and im sure that if you spin the wheels as you take of the police will have discretion as to wether or not it was deliberate

jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-07-2006, 12:50 PM   #43
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by heljas
ill put it simple

dont drive like an idiot and you have nothing to worry about

and im sure that if you spin the wheels as you take of the police will have discretion as to wether or not it was deliberate

jason
Sounds a bit like:

1939 - "if you're not Jewish, Slav, Gypsy, or any other minority we don't like, then you have nothing to worry about"

and

2006 - "if you're not a terrorist, you don't have anythng to worry about."

Give it a few months and the government will realise that they have made a grave mistake, when they see the "other" fatal statistics growing as drivers retaliate against these laws (hoping beyond hope there is a rebellious bone left in this society).
Old 01-07-2006, 12:58 PM   #44
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

when will the tolerance drop from 45 over to 30, 20, 10 etc.
when will having an unroadworthy car be enough to have it confiscated?

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

Old 01-07-2006, 01:14 PM   #45
EFFalcon
Last warning

just seen on a news update that a number of cars were done last night.

they showed an ED getting loaded onto a tray truck and a VT.
hasnt taken them long to take advantage of the new law.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
Old 01-07-2006, 01:21 PM   #46
ReVd_uP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whats wrong Mr Bracks? all those speed cameras you put up arent paying you enough??? this whole thing's a SHAM
Old 01-07-2006, 02:05 PM   #47
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think this is pretty rediculous. Now, i'm not a hoon driver, but (especially seens I drive an empty panelvan) it's very easy for my back wheels to spin at times, even with the stock engine and borgie 3 spd!!

What gets me cheesed off about it, is so much of it is subjective, and a lot of what happens when/after you get caught will be too (and depend on who fines you).. What is 'excessive' noise for instance? Heck, what's a hoon? I know they listed things such as dangerous driving.. But if they're going to ping someone for revving their engine, or losing contact of the road (and i'm sure some cops won't care if it was an accident), then they're a hoon?

And i'm also a bit worried about the 145 in a 110 zone.. especially if it's overtaking a truck doing 100~. I don't know if i've gone that fast when overtaking, but I sure as hell don't like been in the opposite lane.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:10 PM   #48
PH47
Ford Power, in a Merc?

I'm over 25, drive a '67 car that rarely goes over 80 and couldn't do a burnout if it was sitting on ice.. and even I think the laws are rediculous.

I have no doubts as others have said that there will be retaliation.. people get into fights over someone -scratching- their car, imagine if the same person has their car taken off them forever?
Old 01-07-2006, 03:35 PM   #49
klawsterfobik
Bad Music and Litre Bikes

A lot of what the Police deal with in relation to cars is subjective anyway, and for the most part that i have been in contact with them they have been reasonable.

I was pulled up after my car kicked out going around a corner when it was raining early one morning, the police pulled me up (they were sitting a couple of cars behind me). The officer let me go, and told me that if i was going to purposely do that kind of stuff to go out the back of the You Yangs (out of town, where there isnt much traffic) and fool around there.

That is a more sensible way of dealing with the "problem" of hoons, rather than taking their cars away for offences that dont warrant it.
Anyway. Enough reality, back to the topic.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:19 PM   #50
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Some one can get booked for "Dangeorus Driving" or "Careless Driving" for having an accident by running into the rear of the vehicle in front.

Yes Police need more powers but you always get the Good Police and the Bad Police.

I have learnt over the years that if you take the Police to court even if you have "independent" witness's on your side you are never going to win in a court of law.

So this will all eventually work against some poor innocent driver

Just saw on the news some cars on the back of tilt trays due to the new hoon laws.

Chapel Street tonight will see a lot of work for tow truck drivers as I am sure "excessive noise" means stereo's....

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:50 PM   #51
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
just seen on a news update that a number of cars were done last night.

they showed an ED getting loaded onto a tray truck and a VT.
hasnt taken them long to take advantage of the new law.

this is complete horse crap, im now officialy affraid to take my car out at fear of it going to get takin off me, especialy since i like cruising up n down chapel and round town just for the cruise.
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Old 01-07-2006, 06:12 PM   #52
rodderz

Phil (GRNKPR) was just on Ch.7 news being interviewed for a few seconds, sticking up for us guys who love our cars but dont hoon!
Old 01-07-2006, 06:28 PM   #53
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
Phil (GRNKPR) was just on Ch.7 news being interviewed for a few seconds, sticking up for us guys who love our cars but dont hoon!
Awesome Any got a link to the news story? I'll check the chan 7 website.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
Old 01-07-2006, 06:32 PM   #54
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz

: : : : :
Yeah but the interview was edited heaps and made me look like a hoon
The real answer if played in full was "i like getting out at the end of a week and giving it a bit /// this is where ch 7 stopped it /// at the track and a controlled enviroment

Oh well The price of fame

They wanted my race car there but not enough time to get it there with 1; 5 hr notice .Luckily it would have made my sponsors look like they were also supporting hoons

It was funny but out of a half hour interview they took about 10 seconds :

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
Old 01-07-2006, 06:36 PM   #55
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

Yes Phil thats the price of fame alright, on the other hand you should have known they would edit the good bits out and make you look like a hoon, they dont want to show the small minded public people like you doing the right thing now.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:54 PM   #56
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYVYSS
If you drive like a hoon, you'll burn more than rubber

Snip (or travelling at over 145 kmph in a 110 kmph zone).
In NSW we removed an automatic 1 month disqualification that applied to 110km/h zones, it operated so at 130km/h+ you were liable to lose your license.

Crazy considering the quality of road that generally carries that limit.

The old legislation was overturned and this state again relies on 'traditional' incremental punitive measures by way of fines and demerit.

We will not take your car away for doing 145 - 155km/h on a freeway if sober and otherwise 'safe', but you will pay the dollar and wear the demerit penalty for being so evil. This is appropriate.

One day, *someone* will use inhereted rights to overturn certain modern-trendy, extreme left law.

But people really do like VIC labour, and they will get back in.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:52 PM   #57
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
In NSW we removed an automatic 1 month disqualification that applied to 110km/h zones, it operated so at 130km/h+ you were liable to lose your license.

Crazy considering the quality of road that generally carries that limit.

The old legislation was overturned and this state again relies on 'traditional' incremental punitive measures by way of fines and demerit.

We will not take your car away for doing 145 - 155km/h on a freeway if sober and otherwise 'safe', but you will pay the dollar and wear the demerit penalty for being so evil. This is appropriate.

One day, *someone* will use inhereted rights to overturn certain modern-trendy, extreme left law.

But people really do like VIC labour, and they will get back in.

its all up in the air and the police are just flexing a bit of muscle

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
Old 02-07-2006, 09:36 AM   #58
WINDSR
Genuine V8

How many deaths will occur, when a 'HOON' is trying to out run a cop to stop his car getting impounded or even sold.

Can someone tell me this?

The powers that be have no idea. They think that this is a solution? I dont think so.

WINDSR plates for sale. (VIC) PM if interested.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:41 AM   #59
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Another knee jerk reaction that will, more than likely, cause more problems than it will fix. I wonder how long before an innocent motorist gets killed by someone that has already had two offences under these "anti hoon" laws and doesn't want to lose their car. How will the govenment explain that one?
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 02-07-2006, 11:55 AM   #60
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEL
Another knee jerk reaction that will, more than likely, cause more problems than it will fix. I wonder how long before an innocent motorist gets killed by someone that has already had two offences under these "anti hoon" laws and doesn't want to lose their car. How will the govenment explain that one?
I think that there is a serious risk that this will happen.

Think of it from the 'hoons' point of view. They have just been spotted doing their third hoon offence. If they stop they will lose their car, their licence and cop a hefty fine. If they try to get away, they may succeed and get away scott free. Even if they do get caught the penalties will not be all that different.
Closed Thread