Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-10-2009, 10:44 PM   #31
XR6Noir

There we go, a semi-serious attempt to show what it would look like - I'm sure you already know it'll be a somewhat biased view here

If it were me I'd save the cash and put it towards something else down the track.
XR6Noir is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2009, 11:07 PM   #32
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

take it from your post its a 02-05 camry V6 sportivo? the TRD supercharger is about 12K too much, is very conservitive with its output but it has to be because they torquesteer like a , i mean the aurion TRD was designed with FWD and a S/C in mind and they still made it feel like an angry man was living in your steering rack....

drop it on coilovers *order from tein in the states* our dollar at the moment is aursome so wont cost much, and it also makes them handle 1,00000000x better than stock, being sportivo should already have front strut brace as well.

18/19"rims and dark tint.

lexus ecu from a ES300 will yeald 12kw and better overall tune, and the headers should be easy off Ebay... america is your friend there.. they mod the out of them.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2009, 11:46 PM   #33
Spudz27
Call me Spud

^^ Yeah I have an 03 Sportivo V6.

Apart from Headers, Custom 2 1/2" Exhaust (wanted dual system but won't fit), K&N Filter, a subtle body change, dark tint, rims and lowering I am not looking to do anything else. Turbo and Supercharged is not my thing. I am also not looking at turning it into a beast just do enough to make it unique. Also opened a new savings account for.... An XR8. I am hoping to have the cash to get a BF in 2 years.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2009, 01:48 AM   #34
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pretty cool, i like the kit except i reckon the front lip of the front bar is a bit ricey
just dont dump it too low or get massive rims, that will keep it tasteful! honestly i would have just looked for a sportivo bodykit, theyre not too bad honestly
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2009, 02:15 AM   #35
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Whiteline may make a few bits for them.

I'd for a bit of toe out on the front, neutral toe on the rear, more negative camber front & rear, more front caster if you can get it and a stiffer front sway bar.

Make sure that the offset on your new wheels is no more than 10% greater than the stockies.
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2009, 05:30 AM   #36
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

Ok, choosing a car is horses for courses. But if you want to go fast and you like a japanese saloon that looks like a Camry but much sleeker, why don't you get a Toyota Chaser or Tourer. Rear wheel drive straight 6 twin turbo and find one in a manual. Thats a genuine drivers car right there. Out of the box they will give clubsports a hard run for their money.
Old 19-10-2009, 06:50 AM   #37
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

That body kit atcually doesn't look too bad.....not ver ricer. Not a fan of the camry styling anyway so yeah anything half decent would have been an improvement and that looks quite good. Be careful how much you lower it though because it has pretty low front lip.

As for headers maybe look into some other cars in the toyota stable that use that engine...maybe the headers will fit?? A version was used in the kluger (but i think that was stroked) so it might fit too??? Just an idea.

Also agree with what has been said earlier RE power. Not to attack you too much (im sure you get that already on this place driving a camry) but frankly if you want to go fast i wouldn't start with a camry anyway. The V6 was not much faster than the I4 back in early days (maybe your model is different) but certainly even with engine mods you will probably struggle to put any reall gains to the ground. Better tyres/shocks will help but torque steer will become an issue and the suspension (front and esp. rear) is pretty basic on that camry dating back to the mid to late 90s...

I'd go after getting the ar to look a bit nicer. A non-ricer modded camry would be quite rare so go for it!

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2009, 08:10 AM   #38
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its a camry.
Might as well lower and put spoilers on your washing machine.
White suits it. Unless the rest of your appliances are silver steel silver too.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2009, 08:23 AM   #39
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

Go for it mate, The Camry is not a bad car and can be made to look quite good, you didn't expect people to give you good comments on a FORD forum?
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2009, 08:39 AM   #40
iCat
doof doof doof doof

you are mad - totally bonkers.
but each to their own.
iCat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2009, 09:50 AM   #41
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR_Strider_GuY
Ok, choosing a car is horses for courses. But if you want to go fast and you like a japanese saloon that looks like a Camry but much sleeker, why don't you get a Toyota Chaser or Tourer. Rear wheel drive straight 6 twin turbo and find one in a manual. Thats a genuine drivers car right there. Out of the box they will give clubsports a hard run for their money.

Agreed!... .. Finding one with a manual would be quite a task though as i am pretty sure that they came auto only from the factory. However with a manual conversion they bloody move.
Old 19-10-2009, 10:07 AM   #42
CFOUR
The Destroyer

Yes you’re mad. Jeremy Clarkson has said repeatedly that the Camry is the cure for insomnia, I tend to agree. More importantly I wish you’d bought an Australian built car!

Any way like all adults you’re entitled to your own choices in life, so as much as I and others want to disparage you, we can at least reside in the fact you purchased something that has four wheels and runs on petrol.
Old 19-10-2009, 10:11 AM   #43
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDterri
Go for it mate, The Camry is not a bad car and can be made to look quite good, you didn't expect people to give you good comments on a FORD forum?
Not really but I thought there would be a few who appreciated the styling I am going for (which there is) rather than the fact it is a camry.
Old 19-10-2009, 10:12 AM   #44
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stattic
pretty cool, i like the kit except i reckon the front lip of the front bar is a bit ricey
just dont dump it too low or get massive rims, that will keep it tasteful! honestly i would have just looked for a sportivo bodykit, theyre not too bad honestly
My car is a V6 Sportivo.
Old 19-10-2009, 10:16 AM   #45
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

I like it alot!

But personally if your hoping to keep it for 2 years only then I don't know if there's to much point, but I guess 2 years is along time :P
JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2009, 11:43 AM   #46
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOUR
Yes you’re mad. Jeremy Clarkson has said repeatedly that the Camry is the cure for insomnia, I tend to agree. More importantly I wish you’d bought an Australian built car!

Any way like all adults you’re entitled to your own choices in life, so as much as I and others want to disparage you, we can at least reside in the fact you purchased something that has four wheels and runs on petrol.

That Camry was built in Australia :
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2009, 12:02 PM   #47
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
and last but not least

Magic happens window sticker.
Was overtaken by a nice Ferrari 575M a few years ago

With a magic happens sticker on the rear bar

Till this day I dont know if he had put it there or some prankster had done it

I suspect the latter but I will never know......

To the OP - i dont like the front section of that kit - makes it look way too overweight in my opinion
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2009, 12:07 PM   #48
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I'd go for the traditional Camry mods.

Front sun visor
Wind deflectors
Mud spats
Bowls hat on the rear parcel shelf
Bob Jane 14 inch mags
Pin stripes
Cardigan for whoevers driving it

and last but not least

Magic happens window sticker.
You also forgot the tartan blanket on the rear parcel shelf, and a tin of Barley Sugars.
Old 19-10-2009, 12:19 PM   #49
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
Was overtaken by a nice Ferrari 575M a few years ago

With a magic happens sticker on the rear bar

Till this day I dont know if he had put it there or some prankster had done it

I suspect the latter but I will never know......

To the OP - i dont like the front section of that kit - makes it look way too overweight in my opinion

Bowling hat in the back, I presume - could be the fastest hat rack in town

Likewise, all to their own - the kit looks ok, but I have never had a soft spot for any Camry's.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2009, 04:14 PM   #50
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

An old saying: 'If you're gonna have the show, you gotta have the go'

Or something like that...all show and no go is not my personal taste.

I dont think the kit suits the car very much.
Old 19-10-2009, 06:03 PM   #51
sedgie

front wheel drive family car, no performance, lowered with body kit and loud exhaust... sorry but that spells 'ricer', and looks like one to boot. Drive it for what it is and use the money to save for the XR8!
sedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2009, 06:08 PM   #52
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Sounds like George Barris built ricers...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2009, 08:16 PM   #53
bingoTE50
Steve

Geez you have copped some here...
I nearly bought a Sportiva when they first come out . They did have an option of a sportier sounding exhaust from Toyota at the time . The only real criticism I had was the wheels look a bit small . If you can fit some decent width rubber on it , lowered with some nice wheels , it will look alright .I wouldn't bother with body kits myself ,but up to you. I actually prefer the TJ Magna-Verada or Ralliart Magna ( I would change the wing though) ,for that vintage front driver . I had a company car 96 TE Magna v6 3.0 , and it was a good car at speed ( think legal times 2)...compared to the EB2 I had previously , it was well planted.
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2009, 10:26 PM   #54
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Yeah I am thinking of just leaving the sportivo kit on, lowering it , dark tint, some decent rims (the stock ones are hideous). Will do the filter and maybe headers. Not the exhaust as I am hoping to have 24,000 in 2 years for an XR8 and the mrs will get the camry. She won't like it being loud lol.
Old 19-10-2009, 10:35 PM   #55
jonk

You do realise that when you have to re-align the front suspension, the rear must be re-aligned to !

Camry's are also very hard on tyre's. Don't expect more than 40,000 out of them.
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2009, 10:36 PM   #56
jonk

You do realise that when you have to re-align the front suspension, the rear must be re-aligned to !

Camry's are also very hard on tyre's. Don't expect more than 40,000 out of them.
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2009, 09:17 AM   #57
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi mate, I'm pretty open minded but I think you'll be wasting your money if you go down this road. At the end of the day it will still be a Camry and people will still silently snicker as it goes past. Harsh but true.

I can openly admit to spending stupid amounts of money on a 1994 Corolla when I was 17 - how you live and learn...Better off offloading it and starting with something with potential in the first place.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2009, 06:16 PM   #58
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin

I can openly admit to spending stupid amounts of money on a 1994 Corolla when I was 17 - how you live and learn...Better off offloading it and starting with something with potential in the first place.
He is saving for a XR8 and offloading the camry to his missus...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2009, 09:00 PM   #59
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
He is saving for a XR8 and offloading the camry to his missus...
Offload the missus and get two XR8s.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2009, 09:40 PM   #60
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
Hi mate, I'm pretty open minded but I think you'll be wasting your money if you go down this road. At the end of the day it will still be a Camry and people will still silently snicker as it goes past. Harsh but true.

Agreed, Ill admit to wanting to make my 1st car, a TP Magna Fooly sick back when I was younger : . Thank bloody christ Ford snapped me outta that quick smart. :

But yes, save your coin for the XR8.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post