Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-11-2005, 06:37 PM   #31
brodfloyd
Hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
That’s not entirely correct.

"More than 95 percent of hydrogen produced today is by the Steam Methane Reformation (SMR) of fossil fuels such as oil, coal, and natural gas, a process that liberates massive amounts of carbon dioxide and other pollutants to the atmosphere. The SMR process provides a net energy loss of 30 to 35% when converting methane into hydrogen since a great deal of fossil energy or electrical power is required to operate the process. Hydrogen is also produced by electrolysis, a process that uses electricity to convert water into hydrogen and oxygen. Although electrolysis itself can be quite efficient in converting electricity into hydrogen, the electricity used for electrolysis is often primarily generated from fossil fuels. Therefore, traditional hydrogen production methods result in a net increase in air pollution and are highly inefficient from an energy conversion perspective.

Solar hydrogen production provides a net energy gain when converting methane into hydrogen since the energy used to drive the process is from the sun, says SHEC. Since SMR is not typically cost-effective at small to moderate production levels, SHEC's technology is particularly attractive for smaller and distributed hydrogen production. The environmental benefits of generating hydrogen using renewable energy include significant greenhouse gas reductions, and the reduction of smog precursors, acid gases, and mercury as a result of reduced local need for oil, coal, and natural gas.

To add even greater value, the process has the ability to use a renewable source of methane and carbon dioxide, such as biogas from municipal wastewater plants and landfill gas. Renewable methane generated from biomass results in no net increase of carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere when the methane is converted into hydrogen by SHEC's solar hydrogen generator.

The next generation of solar hydrogen involves direct water splitting with only water as the primary feed component. According to SHEC scientists, six of the ten steps needed for this process are already integrated into the current system."

Source: renewable energy access.

In addition to this there is a trial being conducted in the UK using wind power to make Hydrogen for London buses.

Hydrogen will be the next fuel source it’s just what form it will take.
It may not be entirely correct, but 95% is good enough for me
brodfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2005, 09:24 PM   #32
cogdoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hybrids rock. More, we need more.

I need their fuel....
Old 10-11-2005, 09:27 PM   #33
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogdoc
Hybrids rock. More, we need more.

I need their fuel....
I need it more :P
Old 11-11-2005, 03:45 AM   #34
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Stuff this Hybrid crap ... one of my work mates just bought a VW Golf Sportline TDI ... this thing goes pretty good for a 4 cyl (320Nm of torque) ... and his 55L tank of diesel lasts him 1000km ... and that's flogging the guts out of it.

Does 0-100 in 8 seconds (or close to it) ... nice car.
And the new Turbo Diesels emmissions are apparently better than Oz petrol powered vehicles.

I went for a drive in it ... you get shoved back in your seat hard ... and it has all the nice interior bits and pieces that Australian cars just don't have/think about.

I can see turbo diesels taking off more and more than hybrid vehicles ... yes the cost of of diesel is high at the moment ... but the economy is excellent ... and power is not too shabby either.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2005, 06:27 AM   #35
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodfloyd
It may not be entirely correct, but 95% is good enough for me

The fact is Hydrogen can be manufactured using 100% non polluting renewable resources that are continuing to evolve. You mentioned the future and there not being a clean or green way to produce it. Clearly that isn't correct. While current practices revolve around what is easy and economical, in the context of the future and what is or might be achievable I suspect you’re not close to being 95. Bubble or not.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2005, 09:23 PM   #36
brodfloyd
Hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
The fact is Hydrogen can be manufactured using 100% non polluting renewable resources that are continuing to evolve. You mentioned the future and there not being a clean or green way to produce it. Clearly that isn't correct. While current practices revolve around what is easy and economical, in the context of the future and what is or might be achievable I suspect you’re not close to being 95. Bubble or not.
it can be but it isnt!!! cos its not cost effective and wont be for a long while. Get off ur high horse. I was pointing out the facts as they are now. NOW, 95% of hydrogen is produced in an unclean way and leaves the same environmental impact as using fossil fuels. and the new techonologies cost to much NOW for them to be used by the mainstream and the amount of resources (money, time, materials) that go into producing these new (green) techologies are huge compared to the yeild they produce and that is why 95% is made the way it is today.

do u just sit around all day reading ppls posts then googling key words to refute peoples posts? Ur a clown, u do this all the time, get a new activity

Last edited by brodfloyd; 11-11-2005 at 09:26 PM. Reason: cos i wanted to
Old 11-11-2005, 09:36 PM   #37
brodfloyd
Hmmmm

Quote:
sorry to burst ur bubble guys who think that hydrogen is the clean way of the future, but hydrogen is very very expensive to produce. and very resource heavy to produce, as there is no simple, cheap and clean way to at home way to split water molicules in into H2 (hydrogen gass) and O (oxigen).
And how do they produce it??? by using electricity
how do they get electricity? by burning fossil fuels
The only "green way" to get around is to walk, because even a building a pushbike harms the environment, and u would have to walk naked because making and cleaning clothes hurts the environment too.

Basically there is no green way to do anything, so i'll stick with my 1966 Dodge plymoth 440 that gets one mile per gallon :P, and by dodge plymoth i mean honda prelude

where do i say that there is no way to make hydrogen cleanly in the future??? nowhere. i did said there is no simple, cheap and clean way presently to do it at home, if there were 95% of it wouldnt be made the way it is. would there??? I dont believe hydrogen to be the future, nor battery cells.

diesel, natural gass and LPG are far cheaper and easier to find, refine and use (cleanly) and we do have stocks that will last longer than our current petrol quality crude will last.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:31 PM   #38
HSE2

Quote:
it can be but it isnt!!! cos its not cost effective and wont be for a long while. Get off ur high horse. I was pointing out the facts as they are now. NOW, 95% of hydrogen is produced in an unclean way and leaves the same environmental impact as using fossil fuels. and the new techonologies cost to much NOW for them to be used by the mainstream and the amount of resources (money, time, materials) that go into producing these new (green) techologies are huge compared to the yeild they produce and that is why 95% is made the way it is today.

do u just sit around all day reading ppls posts then googling key words to refute peoples posts? Ur a clown, u do this all the time, get a new activity
You want to run around insulting people like a child do you? Well I assume I have the right of reply. Did you expect I would leave this alone?

So here it is and you will note it does so without insult.

You clearly said that you had a bubble to burst with regards to FUTURE alternatives in said topic. You can try and justify your change of position anyway you like but quoting yourself isn't doing you a service, that’s just humerus.

If you are talking about now obviously hydrogen isn't viable. One point that makes it so is demand and currently there isn’t is there? Perhaps when Arnie gets his Hydrogen filling stations. ;)

To return to your original point: the people you are actually talking about busting bubbles are about 90 plus percent of manufacturers out there today investing billions of dollars in FUTURE technologies because petroleum product will in fact become less viable then what you mention. The prediction is that by 2015 cell phones will have hydrogen-powered batteries. That's the bubble you are trying to burst. That’s the subject matter you have interjected into. Not my opinion, but it would seem you are questioning the view of multinational conglomerates. Someone has it terribly wrong by your account. Now according to you these people have ignored peak oil and are working on technologies that actually still require fossil fuel.

That’s pretty smart.

Now why anyone would be looking at alternatives that rely on current practices and technologies escapes me and obviously companies such as Ford GM BMW and Mercedes. If by diesel you are referring to BIO DIESEL you have a point but the rest of you spiel ignores what peak oil is about and the influence it will/could have on the commodities you view as the future or now. (Insert whichever point of view you want to protect this hour)

Now the day I take advice from you on activities or other will be a cold one. Jumping down someone throat because they provided a counter to yours isn’t normal behaviour and is void of class. If I have misunderstood you point of view then I am sorry. Should you still wish to insult me needlessly then PM me and I will take a very strong interest in your views, nothing like what you have seen in public.

However to answer your question no I don’t sit around googling key words to refute peoples posts. I do however google to make direct quotes to support a counter point of view to re enforce a particular point. You made the mistake of talking about the future while applying today’s work practice and technologies. To a normal person that’s an interesting perspective to take, one thankfully the people responsible for delivering this alternative doesn’t employ. There is a vast difference in posting an opinion or posting a statement that looks thin on facts or understanding. That’s how your comments came across. Burning fossil fuels isn’t the only way Hydrogen can be produced and your statement didn’t seem to allow for that. I provided a quote that supported what you were saying today while showing tomorrow will most likely be very different in the spirit of furthering discussion and understanding about what is going on today for the sake of tomorrow. The view you expressed seemed to be narrow; all I did was expand it. As per forum rules all insults can be sent straight to PM.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
Old 15-11-2005, 10:00 AM   #39
cogdoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sandpit anyone?
Old 15-11-2005, 10:09 AM   #40
HSE2

why are you selling them? Constructive comment
Old 15-11-2005, 11:45 PM   #41
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
8 years battery life, I'll believe that when I see it.
Exactly, I spoke to a colleague who is working on a LPG conversion that uses your existing computer, doesn't run lean, doesn't run hot or damage your valve seats and develops about 5-10% more power than petrol; anyway he was saying that the real problem with hybrids is the battery life. Apparently if you get 4-5 years out of em you should be really happy. At a cost ranging between 3000-5000 it starts to erode the cost benefits. Especially when you consider the car is cost prohibitive anyway. 40K+ for a corolla? Yeah Right!

Quote: