Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-12-2008, 12:26 AM   #31
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What are your specs wulos?

With regards to Westwood Studios, they created Dune II. Best RTS game I've ever played. Love it to death.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 12:27 AM   #32
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it had the Red Alert 3 5 install limit, that would put the cherry on top of the cake alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
What are your specs wulos?

With regards to Westwood Studios, they created Dune II. Best RTS game I've ever played. Love it to death.
Yep, they made Command and Conquer series too, my favorite series RUINED AND KILLED BY EA GAMES.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 12:34 AM   #33
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

My issues with the game are back again god dammit!

Getting over this whole game and I've only done like one or two missions.

What do GTA 4 and n1ggers have in common? Neither work without stupid amounts of persuasion.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 02:42 AM   #34
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Agreed here. Awesome game, and significant as it pretty much created the genre. There were others before it, but it was the first to get it right.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 12:44 PM   #35
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

There were plenty of games before Dune 2 yes. but they were all TURN-BASED, not real time and that is what made dune 2 soooo great.

as for EA killing everything I totally agree. C&C went downhill after westwood was bought out and so too did NFS go downhill after EA took over from Road & Track. Almost every small-time developer who produced a successful game has been bought out by either ea, microsoft or activision.

Blizard seems to be the only ones holding on but i thing ea are trying there best to aquire the warcraft franchise.

I got GTA4 going after microsft fixed the link for the game live patch.

. i think what the problem slowing it down is the fact the game in running in an emulator so in fact you ARE playing the xbox version. and most of your resources are being used by the emulator.

i'm running core2 1.8 with nvidia 7900cs and 2gb ram. 1gb bus. and in the game i can't see any further than the bonnet of the car. SUCKS #$%@%@$$

I'll be purchaseing a new cpu for christmas so we'll see how it goes.
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 12:48 PM   #36
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

just so you know.... just before the original xbox realise. Nintendo and Sega were going downhill due to the success of the Playstation. Microsoft offered Ninteno $2 BILLION to drop the development of the gamecube and get behind the xbox.

Nintendo refused and look where they are now.
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 01:15 PM   #37
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I will say that even a new PC guarantees nothing.

I had a P4 2.8 with a Radeon 9800XT and 2 gig DDR, and Fallout would not run. Ancient Mobo chipset too.

Upgraded a month ago to a Q6600 2.4ghz, P5Q-PRO, Radeon 4870 512 and 4gig of DDR2 (only 3.25 useable with 32-bit Windows - need 64 to make full use), and it is relatively unstable. Mind you, Oblivion and Morrowind are also just as unstable.

One day, PC gaming will hit rock bottom, and will be controlled by only two companies. Through lack of competition, very, very average games will be churned out like ant larvae out of the Queen Ant.
Sort of why Ford and Holden need to both survive...to keep each other honest.

For those who like old games, DosBox is the way. To find an old game, type in the name of the game you're looking for, followed by 'Abandonware' and you'll almost certainly find it, unless it's protected by the ESA.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:41 PM   #38
Rob
Living the dream

DRM is rubbish.. I bought X3 Terran Conflict, installed, no DRM, thought great, heres a keeper. Decided to download the update, guess what? TAGES DRM installed.

I uninstalled and took it back to EB Games. I won't pay money for a 5 install limit POS.

No way known.

Luckily I found a TAGES removal tool, so now no malware on the PC.

EDIT - As far as new games not being as rewarding as older games, I've found an exception - STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl. Download the Obilivion Lost mod and you have one hell of a game!
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 02:18 PM   #39
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Wow, sounds like a right prat to install on PC.

Glad i got it on the 360.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:49 PM   #40
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor82
I think what the problem slowing it down is the fact the game in running in an emulator so in fact you ARE playing the xbox version. and most of your resources are being used by the emulator.
Ahhhhh !, I was wondering if this was the case, thanks. It explains the reason why these ported "Games for Windows" need an X-box controller (if you wish to use a gamepad).

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 03:19 PM   #41
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think it is an emulated version from the Xbox 360, probably just shitty coding on behalf of Rockstar thats caused the problems, look at Metal Gear Solid 2 for PC by Konami, similar problems.
Quote:

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:56 PM   #42
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I didn't have any issues with MGS2 on PC.

Installed and played just fine.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:32 PM   #43
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I didn't have any issues with MGS2 on PC.

Installed and played just fine.
Try change the detail levels away from all low on an NVIDIA graphics card, all the textures dissapear and it looks like ****. Had to use a hex editor to change a value in the EXE file to fix it.
Quote:

Old 05-12-2008, 05:12 PM   #44
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't touch Nvidia. For less, you get more on an ATi.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:23 PM   #45
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor82
i think what the problem slowing it down is the fact the game in running in an emulator so in fact you ARE playing the xbox version. and most of your resources are being used by the emulator.
Do you have a source on that little gem?

I'd suggest someone is telling you porkies. There's 0 chance in the world Microsoft wouldn't kick up an absolute storm if Rockstar pirated their ROMS and distributed them in a game - and there's no way they'd give them away for a price that would make GTA4 viable on PC.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 05:24 PM   #46
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I don't touch Nvidia. For less, you get more on an ATi.
AMD/ATi make some pretty good graphics cards, I used to have a 9800 Pro and I've got a 2400XT in my media centre which is pretty damn good at HD decoding.
Quote:

Old 05-12-2008, 08:07 PM   #47
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

ATI is ok , Nvidia has allways been the leaders in gfx cards imo, more games seem to run better on the nvidia cards no worries too.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:40 PM   #48
XA_GT351
Supreme Machine!

i've got a gtx280 = awesomeness

been using ati for years. i havent have any problems with both

1960 FB Holden Wagon, Yellow, 192, 4spd,

My XA Build-Up
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...&page=10&pp=25
XA_GT351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 11:59 PM   #49
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
ATI is ok , Nvidia has allways been the leaders in gfx cards imo, more games seem to run better on the nvidia cards no worries too.
I see Nvidia as the Holden of the video card market. Better marketed, so games companies gravitate towards them, but I prefer ATi way, way more.

Compare apples to apples, you can get an ATi card for less that performs better in most circumstances than an EQUIVALENT Nvidia card. I went the 4870 because it kicked the pants off anything that Nvidia offered in the same price bracket.

However, it also comes down to personal preference.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:18 AM   #50
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
I see Nvidia as the Holden of the video card market. Better marketed, so games companies gravitate towards them, but I prefer ATi way, way more.

Compare apples to apples, you can get an ATi card for less that performs better in most circumstances than an EQUIVALENT Nvidia card. I went the 4870 because it kicked the pants off anything that Nvidia offered in the same price bracket.

However, it also comes down to personal preference.
I gotta admit I have always found the gfx of the ATI card to be very nice/ for the games they work with !, but driver support is very limited and as you mentioned, alot of game manafacturers seem to favour the nvidia gfx card when making games. Either way I dont realy care I suppose, I have a Nvidia in my desktop PC and a ATI in my laptop. I realy don't care what it is I suppose so long as it works !/ just that I've had less dramas with nvidia in the past ;) . cheers

Old 06-12-2008, 10:36 AM   #51
AUIIForte

I think people are losing hope in Todays current PC gaming industry!

Anybody played Call of Duty 4? Now that game will bring you back to life!
AUIIForte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2008, 11:45 AM   #52
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That problem is that I don't care much for First Person Shooters.
I have Crysis, and I don't care that much for it. It may be great, and its graphics are fantastic, but when a game really interests me, I sit down and play it for hours, rather than just a tug here or there.

GTA has always kept me hooked, and I am sure that IV will do the same, once I get it.

Fallout III did it, Oblivion did it, EverQuest II did it.

Damn, I'm waiting for EverQuest III.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:19 PM   #53
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got Call of Duty 4 just after release date, and played against Australia's pro gamers in CoD4 at eGames Expo 2007 ;)

I only liked it for its multiplayer, then again, only hardcore mode. Normal mode is crap where everyone can absorb bullets.
Quote:

Old 06-12-2008, 03:59 PM   #54
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry for double post, but don't bother with the new NVIDIA drivers, they make the game worse (GTA IV). My mate just tested it out and no textures are loading at all, all you can see is the lights.
Quote:

Old 06-12-2008, 05:09 PM   #55
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

I've heard the PC version of this is utter poo. If anyone is looking for a good PC look up "Left 4 Dead". It's kind of a FPS horror zombie game but you play with other people to survive the "infection". Much fun to be had.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:57 PM   #56
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
I got Call of Duty 4 just after release date, and played against Australia's pro gamers in CoD4 at eGames Expo 2007 ;)

I only liked it for its multiplayer, then again, only hardcore mode. Normal mode is crap where everyone can absorb bullets.
Granted, but nick an enemy's toe with a G3 and he's pushing up daisies in HC mode.

Used to enjoy HC mode until GA's PAM4 ladder, now I can't stand it. HC doesn't promote teamwork or aim.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2008, 07:22 PM   #57
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
Sorry for double post, but don't bother with the new NVIDIA drivers, they make the game worse (GTA IV). My mate just tested it out and no textures are loading at all, all you can see is the lights.
Are you talking about the 180.84's? I installed them and had the texture issue again, then I uninstalled all the graphics drivers with that driver sweeper program, rebooted to safe mood, took the drivers off again, then booted up and re-installed them, seems to be working ok now, provided I keep textures on low.

My biggest gripe at the moment is that it REFUSES to save my graphics settings. Every time I load the game its defaulted everything back to the absolute lowest, giving me the right you-know-whats.

Oh well, I have had a bit of fun playing it so far, as soon as some patches and stuff come out to smooth up performance I'm sure I'll be happy. And lets just really, really hope that R* have learned from this experience.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2008, 12:38 PM   #58
Dezza
Parts bin special

NVIDIA have had problems with their drivers for ages. I have a 6600GT in my computer, and decided to update the drivers. As soon as I did, I'd go for about 5 minutes in a game then I'd have lots of random shapes suddenly start appearing. They'd get worse and worse, and in the end I rolled back to the previous drivers. My parent's computer with an NVIDIA card also has problems with these weird shapes. A quick search on the internet found it's incredibly common. When I get a new card (as the 6600GT is pretty out of date now), I'll probably avoid NVIDIA.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2008, 04:21 PM   #59
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

I was ATI and recently swapped back to Nvidia. I had 3 ATI cards go caput on me, probably more due to the card manufacturers than the ATI chipset, but well im back with Nvidia after about 7 years.

Still an AMD man though, havent had a Pentium in 10 years.

As for GTA, ive been playing it, textures appear fine here, but FPS is pretty bad, some section are very frustrating, i hope Rockstar or the Graphics companies fix it soon.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2008, 05:02 PM   #60
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As I said, companies churn games out just to make a buck.

In the past, games did NOT screw up because the people who made them actually gave a crap about the product they released and the people who would be enjoying it. It was a labour of love.

Yes, they are more complicated today, but there is better framework for making games nowadays too, since it's a billion dollar industry nowadays.

Don't snap my undies.