Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-01-2006, 11:30 AM   #31
xr8ute
Back on the road

Even with the BA, it took quite a while for the really talented tuners to show themselves. The EEC is a complex beast.

I can't believe the claim of 60rwkw from the edit on a 290, sounds like bullsh ! t.

IMO performance gains are not best measured on the dyno at WOT. Look at the Bluepower cars...they have far from record breaking dyno figures, but they are undoubtedly the quickest n/a BA V8's at the track.

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 11:37 AM   #32
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by genebaby
I don't really think you should bother with getting an edit as in terms of driveability and performance, they are pretty much doing the same thing
I kind of agree for close to stock cars, no real point changing from Unichip to edit (unless you've got an XR6T). Especially since you are not real keen on the 1/4 mile stuff Bluedriver.

If you where to change cam, and fit a blower, you'd need bigger injectors and bigger MAF. In that situation the edit would be your best friend....

5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Old 19-01-2006, 11:47 AM   #33
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ute
Even with the BA, it took quite a while for the really talented tuners to show themselves. The EEC is a complex beast.

I can't believe the claim of 60rwkw from the edit on a 290, sounds like bullsh ! t.

IMO performance gains are not best measured on the dyno at WOT. Look at the Bluepower cars...they have far from record breaking dyno figures, but they are undoubtedly the quickest n/a BA V8's at the track.
Some good points but first :

I recall 30rwkw increases with Boss's when Edit first arrived.
Bluepower cars, yer great 1/4 mile times, thats the driver imo not just the tune.
Thats like saying buy Nike golf clubs because Tiger use's them and hit like a winner.
Just being constructive guys py: :
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 01:08 PM   #34
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

An edit is only as good as the tuner using it.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 01:59 PM   #35
Stampy

so if you hatted your uni-chip
A: would you get edit
B: would you get a chip torque chip
I do have a mild cam ,cat back,ss air in ..
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 02:03 PM   #36
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampy
so if you hatted your uni-chip
A: would you get edit
B: would you get a chip torque chip
I do have a mild cam ,cat back,ss air in ..
Edit...however do your research and find a good tuner. Don't be suprised if you need to travel across the country to find them ;)

Old 19-01-2006, 04:07 PM   #37
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

All those mods and only those RWKW?
Big bucks spent for little in return i am sure!

hopefully you can get a good tuner to fix her up for ya mate!

cheers
Rob
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 04:39 PM   #38
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
All those mods and only those RWKW?
Big bucks spent for little in return i am sure!

hopefully you can get a good tuner to fix her up for ya mate!

cheers
Rob
How do you figure that out? Its actually a very good rwkw for the mods.
Mods are only headers, 2.5" exhaust, intake and edit. Plugs and leads, big deal, they are on all our cars. Stock cam, stock head, stock engine in total.
Want to point out all the I6 auto's on this forum making 131rwkw or more with a totally unopened engine? Hell, some arnt even doing that with aftermarket cams (as well as all the above mentioned mods)

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 04:48 PM   #39
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Truth about all tuning is that it does make the car quicker because it primarily fixes flatspots fuel,ignition and niggly bits along the way.As far as I see it is essential. But only when the car is optimised mechanically.Once you have the right cam,diff,stall,heads then get a tune.Now that Spiro is doing the tune down here well its just a few heartpills away to get a great tune.

Bluedriver ,lets face it ..if Spiro did edit tune when my car ran it would have done better.Ive said it once and ill say it again a tune is only as good as the tuner.But in the same breathe a tuner cant get huge power out of a car without the potential.Atune cant fix an badly dialled cam,blocked exhaust or faulty coilpack.
By the same token ,holden sv6's who brag to be fast give good power (similar to mine) get blown into the weeds by me..why, because their power curve sux.
Just because in this instance peak power hasnt gone that high it doesnt mean the car is not quicker.A 4rwkw gain is a good gain which simply indicates that this car may have been running at its peak potential.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 04:49 PM   #40
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
How do you figure that out? Its actually a very good rwkw for the mods.
Mods are only headers, 2.5" exhaust, intake and edit. Plugs and leads, big deal, they are on all our cars. Stock cam, stock head, stock engine in total.
Want to point out all the I6 auto's on this forum making 131rwkw or more with a totally unopened engine? Hell, some arnt even doing that with aftermarket cams (as well as all the above mentioned mods)
I have the same mods as ddarby, bar edit, and also have a LPG mixer restriction in the TB, and managed to get 122rwkw on a hot and muggy day.

If I was to spend $1000 on an edit, and got a 9rwkw increase, I'd be mighty pi**ed.

It's true that it all lies in the tuner and how he tunes the car, but like you said, there really hasn't been solid enough proof that the edit is better than a piggyback.
Old 19-01-2006, 04:56 PM   #41
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUII_SE_Ute
I have the same mods as ddarby, bar edit, and also have a LPG mixer restriction in the TB, and managed to get 122rwkw on a hot and muggy day.

If I was to spend $1000 on an edit, and got a 9rwkw increase, I'd be mighty pi**ed.

It's true that it all lies in the tuner and how he tunes the car, but like you said, there really hasn't been solid enough proof that the edit is better than a piggyback.
Although I dont see the edit as the "wonder mod" I do know that edits, chips, interceptors etc dont show their true worth on a dyno. I got approx 6rwkw peak increase out of my chiptorque. Hardly a groundshaking number but the way that power is delivered and how the car responds on the road is impossible to explain. Its a huge improvement. Only a little peak improvement but all the way to peak the car feels so much more powerful. If you look at rwkw per rpm the the difference is much more noticable.

Old 19-01-2006, 05:00 PM   #42
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUII_SE_Ute
If I was to spend $1000 on an edit, and got a 9rwkw increase, I'd be mighty pi**ed
What if you got an extra 9rwkw not only at the peak, but from idle all the way to redline?

Its a shame they didn't rescale the x-axis to show the curve a bit better, but it certainly looks to be making much more power down low. More than an extra 9rwkw in some points.

Overall power is not huge, but considering the mods and the 50 degree inlet temps (remember EEC pulls timing when the air is really hot), I think its quite a good result.

ddarby, any chance you are going to run this down the 1/4 mile?

Old 19-01-2006, 05:04 PM   #43
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

My edit started at 137 rwkws thern hit a peak of 147 rwkws several times then couldnt crack more than 144 for the rest of the day.So go figure.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 05:08 PM   #44
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

I just looked at that dyno printout again... anyone else notice it says 2nd gear???
If that was done in 2nd then all bets are off... it will skew the results. I know I get close to 150rwkw in second gear in mine.. most dynos run 3rd gear to compare them.

Old 19-01-2006, 05:16 PM   #45
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
I just looked at that dyno printout again... anyone else notice it says 2nd gear???
If that was done in 2nd then all bets are off... it will skew the results. I know I get close to 150rwkw in second gear in mine.. most dynos run 3rd gear to compare them.
Had to look, and it does say second gear.
Old 19-01-2006, 05:19 PM   #46
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It shouldnt matter what gear the car is run in (unless the dyno/operator isnt doing their job).
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 05:21 PM   #47
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockstandard
It shouldnt matter what gear the car is run in (unless the dyno/operator isnt doing their job).
It shouldnt but it does. I've seen my car run back to back runs, 2nd gear then 3rd gear. Nothing else was changed and 2nd gear made far more power then 3rd.

Old 19-01-2006, 05:27 PM   #48
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It shouldnt but it does. I've seen my car run back to back runs, 2nd gear then 3rd gear. Nothing else was changed and 2nd gear made far more power then 3rd.
No, it doesnt make any difference at all. If yours showed a difference the dyno operator screwed up.

If changing down gears gave more power, then changing diff ratio would result in more power wouldnt it?
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 05:36 PM   #49
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
No, it doesnt make any difference at all. If yours showed a difference the dyno operator screwed up.

If changing down gears gave more power, then changing diff ratio would result in more power wouldnt it?
I saw what I saw... nothing was changed, total time between runs was about 30 seconds and the operator never left the car.
I'll make sure to request that my car run in 2nd gear not 3rd at the next dyno day... if it doesnt make any difference whatsoever noone will object I'm sure.

Old 19-01-2006, 06:39 PM   #50
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddarby
Agreed, the stallie has made the biggest impact no question. As for fuel economy, the DTE is really no different, but from Burton to my home (about 65kms) the petrol gauge moved only the width of the needle itself. To me that's an improvement, as I was flogging it on the way home plus there is a major hill climb to where I live. It before was a petrol guzzler.
I too have an XR6 VCT. Am considering the Edit and the stall converter. I think Casper said the stallie affected his consumption by 10% so if you're getting no difference then the Edit has helped in this regard. Also the torque curve shows an awesome improvement. Ie around the 50 to 65kmh region. You have at least a third more torque. Fantastic!

I am looking to get Spiro at Autotech in Sydney to do a tune late next month (hopefully) and he can wring even more power out than your gain, then the stallie down the track.

Good luck. Have fun!
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 06:44 PM   #51
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:

Choosing 2nd as opposed to 3rd shouldn't make any difference. Power is a product of torque multiplied by the speed of application.
ie Nm x rpm / 9545 = Kw

Therefore if you choose a lower gear, then the torque is multiplied but the wheel speed is reduced by the same corresponding amount. Hope this helps.
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 06:53 PM   #52
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Choosing 2nd as opposed to 3rd shouldn't make any difference. Power is a product of torque multiplied by the speed of application.
ie Nm x rpm / 9545 = Kw

Therefore if you choose a lower gear, then the torque is multiplied but the wheel speed is reduced by the same corresponding amount. Hope this helps.
explained perfectly- thanks phillyc!
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 07:26 PM   #53
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I'm not havong a dig here, but even with your you hugely massive 4.1kw at the rear wheels in performance, the only safe place you could possibly hope to harness all that power is at the track. Street racing and breaking trackion at the lights is a no no.

You guys are kiding yourself. Edit. Show us real results, before we go spending all that money on a pipe dream

Tell me this. For everyone who is hanging out for the Flasher Unit and are so impressed by the simplicity of it all, where you the same guys lining up for one of Peter Brocks Polarizers for your commodores back in the last millenium. I swear i saw half of you guys queing up.
Bucknaked, your the boy that lives in the plastic bubble aren't you??

If the car was tunhed perfectly using a piggy back and then retuned by using a flasher, there's every chance the RWKW may not be any different at the top, but it should pick up more midrange, by controling all paremeters than a piggy back ever could, and as said earlier, the car would probably be more responsive, more pleasureable to drive and probably rev to peak RPM quicker, even though it may have the same final RWKW.

Go back to dreaming about the day you can finally buy yourself a polarizer!

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 08:54 PM   #54
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
ie Nm x rpm / 9545 = Kw

The reason why they use second gear is so it doesn't kick back a gear while on the dyno (automatic trans).

In regards to the edit, whether its edit, chip, ИИИИin whatever, it all boils down to the tuner......

You people expext way too much, you don't want to spend any money and want it to go super fast and drink no fuel.....

Visit a good tuner and see what he can actually do for your car and stop talking ИИИИ.
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 10:12 PM   #55
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well for comparison...

Stock AUII XR6 VCT tickford (IRS) 60,000km on the clock

V8 tickford snorkle, and 3inch drone pipe (in prep for a turbo later maybe/hopefully)

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/660...5falcon8wt.jpg
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/2757/...noplate5ym.jpg

Was dynoed on the same dyno as my brothers supra that made 151.4rwkw this dyno 151.5rwkw (both in melbourne) on another and 147rwkw on a dyno (in sydney - hot weather) so numbers should be basicly spot on.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 10:24 PM   #56
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Any tuning tool is only as good as the tuner...
It’s also worth remembering the tuning tool used doesn't make the power,
its your cars engine that makes the power the tuning device you use just allows you to fine tune and edit what is left to gain out of your engine, that’s why everyone results well be different...
Some cars are fatter than others in the fuel..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 10:49 PM   #57
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Hardly a groundshaking number but the way that power is delivered and how the car responds on the road is impossible to explain.
Exactly, after the dev 5 cam was put in and my Unichip reconnected, I only gained another peak 4rwkw's or so but god damn did the car pick up everywhere else. The overall responsiveness was heaps better.

If the edit has done this for you then it's worth the dosh.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 11:15 PM   #58
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a hot day certainly wouldnt have given you the best read out ,anyway a number on a sheet of paper probably wont do it justice, good post ddarby, see how it feels through the week
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2006, 12:07 AM   #59
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A lot of people on this thread have spoken about peak power gains that I achieved with this tune. I agree it is below my expectations. But when we checked the AFR's before the tune, it was one of the smoothest lines at a ratio of 12 that we have sen. Pretty much spot on, just a slight drop when the BBM does it's changeover. But the low down power, the low down torque is FAR better than I have experienced with the Chiptorque. The dyno reading says that also. By the way, the dyno readings we performed before the 3000 stallie was installed. As for dyno testing in 2nd and 3rd gear, we did perform that with results which were almost identical. Hardly a difference. Just about dyno's, there are only a few shootout dyno operators that are certified and have to guarantee to the dyno manufacturers ( regular testing for accuracy is done) are accurate and fortunatley, Bill Towler is one of two I believe in Adelaide. I simply can't believe some of the RWKW readings some people post on these forums IMO. I mean, 140RWKW plus form a NA I6 with just zort, CAI and chip? There is too many dynos that lie,especially in Melbourne/Sydney. Make sure that you are using a certified shootout company for accurate dyno results.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2006, 04:16 AM   #60
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Well it good to see your happy with the result you got with the edit. I notice that you got a lot of torque down low,with improvement in the the reset of the rev range. Well it's torque that get you moving of the mark, rwkw is what keeps you going at higher revs. At the end of the day your happy with it, than enjoy it.

The edit will get better with time as tuner use it more & learn which way to go to get better results faster. If you find a good tuner, let the rest know.