Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-08-2008, 10:46 PM   #31
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Modern torque convertors have electronic lockup for light cruise and then you mash the throttle and the rpm slips up the rev range to flash speed lockup. The only issue i have heard is for stall speeds above 3000 that for some reason the lockup at normal driving speeds is compromised. I suppose there is only one way to really find out...try it. Also many seem to have problems with limp home mode once stall speeds reach those rpms.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2008, 07:36 AM   #32
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
Modern torque convertors have electronic lockup for light cruise and then you mash the throttle and the rpm slips up the rev range to flash speed lockup. The only issue i have heard is for stall speeds above 3000 that for some reason the lockup at normal driving speeds is compromised. I suppose there is only one way to really find out...try it. Also many seem to have problems with limp home mode once stall speeds reach those rpms.
Ya I know they lock up at light throttle, though I didn't know the high stall units did on the AU's.
I still think that 3k stall would be boarder line on being a pain in the bum, but I'm just guessing as I haven't driven one.
Old 23-08-2008, 08:50 AM   #33
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

logic says though, that if the stall speed is higher, than the lockup won't last as long, more rpm difference = more friction when locking up, also worth mentioning is that if you increasing your stall you should be increasing the transmissions cooling to cope with the extra heat produced from the hi stall when unlocked and on flash point.
Old 23-08-2008, 10:19 AM   #34
The Monty
Just slidin'

I just put on a MASSIVE tranny cooler, the stall retains 3rd and 4th lock up as per a normal AU.
Old 23-08-2008, 11:20 AM   #35
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Theres lockup for easy driving .It is electrically controlled from memory by one of the gearboxes solenoids.

The other lockup is the hydraulic lockup when we hit the throttle the stall spins ,the tranny fluid gets flicked outwards/inwards causing the internals to lockup. Truth is that because of its nature it never truly locks up solid and hence why manuals put out up to 10rwkws more.

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 23-08-2008, 05:48 PM   #36
The Monty
Just slidin'

Ill tell you all how it goes when its in.

In the mean time, anyone up here in Brisbane know how to put one in, for some cash of course, Im good at handing the wrong spanners too.
Old 23-08-2008, 06:46 PM   #37
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
Theres lockup for easy driving .It is electrically controlled from memory by one of the gearboxes solenoids.
Yep, that's how understand the Ford setup to work (and others), though see below.....
Quote:
The other lockup is the hydraulic lockup when we hit the throttle the stall spins ,the tranny fluid gets flicked outwards/inwards causing the internals to lockup. Truth is that because of its nature it never truly locks up solid and hence why manuals put out up to 10rwkws more.
And this is how normal convertors work.

So how does the electronic side of things 'lock-up' the convertor if the box is essentially 'after' the convertor in the chain, if you know what I mean.
Old 23-08-2008, 09:31 PM   #38
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my brother is currently attempting to fit 3.45 gears to his 3.08 forte live axle
and they are binding up and it just doesnt move at all
is there ANYTHING else that could be causing this issue??

tried a set from an IRS diff and the gears out of a live axle diff
(swapped the crown AND pinion)
i was under the assumption that you could just bolt the gears straight in and use the same shims(the ones that go between the outter bearings and the housing and its all good??

or is there other shims we dont know about between the pinion and crown mounts??
Old 24-08-2008, 07:39 AM   #39
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
my brother is currently attempting to fit 3.45 gears to his 3.08 forte live axle
and they are binding up and it just doesnt move at all
is there ANYTHING else that could be causing this issue??

tried a set from an IRS diff and the gears out of a live axle diff
(swapped the crown AND pinion)
i was under the assumption that you could just bolt the gears straight in and use the same shims(the ones that go between the outter bearings and the housing and its all good??

or is there other shims we dont know about between the pinion and crown mounts??
As far as I know they go in without a hitch.
Have you got the shims on the correct sides? That is, you didn't mix up the left and right shims?
And how tight do you have the pinion?
Old 24-08-2008, 10:02 AM   #40
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
Yep, that's how understand the Ford setup to work (and others), though see below.....

And this is how normal convertors work.

So how does the electronic side of things 'lock-up' the convertor if the box is essentially 'after' the convertor in the chain, if you know what I mean.
Yep.I know what you mean.The modern convertor has a clutch which eliminates the free wheeling of convertors in the past. s7 solenoid in the box being on and off determines when this happens. This is for light throttle driving only though.At 80 kays letting off the throttle makes it unlock then reapplying throttle locks it back on. At full throttle though things revert back to the old way of convertors.

I think that it must use hydraulics to activate the light throttle cruise lockup clutch