Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #31
XRDeeze
UTRIED

Default Re: arnt the young fellas today spoilt with what cars are available cheap?

Yup agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Its funny then I continually see P platers displaying their P plates on V8s and turbo'd cars.... It doesnt appear to bother them..
no it doesnt ...as alot of P-platers (green) drive V8's in the area (QLD) , and tuned cars way past the legal mark of 200kw.

Townsville Drag 1/10/11 PB: 15.34 @ 91.09 mph
XRDeeze is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 03:31 PM   #32
Parkway
I Like Turtles

Default Re: arnt the young fellas today spoilt with what cars are available cheap?

'Spoilt for choice' is largely defined by your budget. If I had say, 13-18k (which it seems some young people have), then yes, there is a HUGE range of vehicles but if you're a young cheapskate like me and your limit is 3-5k, your selection is cut quite short.

The cool bananas thing to do nowadays when you're a P-Plater and have a budget like me is buy an Excel and sticky tape a 20" cannon tip to the side skirt or buy a VR Dunnydoor and put in some Makita brand springs.

Luckily I have a lick of dignity and taste, so I opted for a Falcon (or two) and I reckon I'm pretty spoilt for choice just within the Ford name.
Parkway is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 03:34 PM   #33
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Spoilt and cheap? I don't think so. I bet insurance, rego, any fines and laws were not as strict or expensive many years ago.
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 04:43 PM   #34
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plarazza
Spoilt and cheap? I don't think so. I bet insurance, rego, any fines and laws were not as strict or expensive many years ago.
The fines were relative to the income of people at the time.

1990, take the cat converter off a car and it was a $1,000 fine and $100/day until you supplied an emission compliant vehicle
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 04:49 PM   #35
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

What you mean like when the fine for 15-30km/h over the limit was only $90?

Which was quite a lot when you only earned $42 per week.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 05:06 PM   #36
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
I wont post my speeding fine from 10 years ago then, its all relative.
Old 13-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #37
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree with all those comments. I should of probably added it but that was also sort of my point, that the prices are all relative to the money we earn now.

Before = Cars, insurance, fines, laws, petrol, wages, restrictions, licenses were all lower
Now = All the same but are higher.

So I was of the opinion that in terms of reality and in contrast with all these factors I wouldn't say cars are cheaper now and that we are spoilt.

Last edited by GreenR; 13-11-2011 at 05:29 PM.
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 05:25 PM   #38
HVAC PRO

I agree the selection is much better these days but the restrictions ruin any chance of a decent performance car i remember when i was a second year apprentice fridge mech in 2001 i had been working away and saved some decent coin bought myself a 95 model r33 skyline GTR yes scary car for a 19 year old and yes i should have bought a house with that money but dumb kids will be dumb kids and most people thought i was a drug dealer or something because i didn't work in the mines so how did i get the money.. but now days they won't let a p plater sniff a car like that...thinking back to they way i drove that car the stricter rules do make sense at that age too much power and not enough sense..
HVAC PRO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #39
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

One question....

Does anyone remember "Independent Motors" in Vic Park Perth from the early 80's late 70's, it was full of Mustangs, Comaro’s, A9X'S, Monaro's, Ford GT'S, E48's & E49's, hell i bought my E49 for $4k....

Everything these days would kick the **** of the stuff when i was chasing grunt, but nothing these days has the presence....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 10:12 PM   #40
RAPID_BA
Banned

A young kid from up my street stopped in today and with his brand new lancer was so cool.
I was changing the brake pads on my 96 ltd, black hands and wheel off car on a stand.

He just giggled and said stop wasting your weekend with that old horse, get a lancer and don't worry bout getting dirty hands.

But when he makes his repayments he might not be as smug.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 10:39 PM   #41
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
One question....

Does anyone remember "Independent Motors" in Vic Park Perth from the early 80's late 70's, it was full of Mustangs, Comaro’s, A9X'S, Monaro's, Ford GT'S, E48's & E49's, hell i bought my E49 for $4k....

Everything these days would kick the **** of the stuff when i was chasing grunt, but nothing these days has the presence....
I can remember that place from the late 80's. I can even remember the old man looking but not being able to afford what was in there.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 11:37 PM   #42
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Spoilt ....no I can't buy / afford a new x w y a b c d ..:( yes I love the new fg ( fast comfortable etc etc but what I wouldn't give for a new 60/70s gen car . Every car now is samesville.I can't tell you how much it pains me that I can't go buy my sundowner new :( rare for me to raise an eyelid at a new car driving past . If it wasn't for flash paint and wheels these days the car themselves are very boring to look at .I'm glad I was in the era when you could drag genuine ( insert car here ) up back roads !
Old 14-11-2011, 12:10 AM   #43
Zaxx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Flappist, and Brooksy both make good points about money..
But, if you take me for example..
I worked nightshift, every night of school.. for two years, to earn enough to buy my first XR..
I wanted a BA XR.. and I got one.
But didn't mean I didn't have to work for it?

I didn't party on a friday night, like a lot of the other drunk kents.
I didn't wake up too hungover on saturday to work, like the rest of the pathetic trash that got around.
No, I worked, Monday to Friday.. (Night times that is..)
And saturday all day..
Sunday, was then spent catching up on all the studying, schoolwork crap that I missed by working nights.

But hey..
When the ride rocked up on my driveway the day I bought it
Probably the best feeling ever.

It's cops that ruin it, for young people that worked their asses off to get their pride and joy.
It's their restrictions, and their hard/genital headedness that lands a lot of us blokes in hot water.

If we're talking about "Back in the Day!"
I read a lot of comments above talking about how they drove their crappy cars flat stick.. all day.. sliding.. and I even read tilting in there somewhere..

I'm sure a cop's done it..

But nowadays..
If I chirp shifting into second gear.. (Well under the speed limit..)
It's 320 dollars, and 2 points.. for driving a car in a way that makes un-nessecary noise and smoke..

Or!
What about defects?
They'll defect you for having a crack in your indicator..
And by crack? I mean no longer than the width of a ten cent piece..

I'm not meaning to turn this into a cop hatin' rant..
Because, I do enough of that in my own time.
Point being, I reckon they should do something constructive with MY, and YOUR hard earnt tax payer dollars, and put it into getting paedophiles, and thieves, and other scum off our streets.

It'd give us blokes, that work their fingers off, and go without things, a chance to enjoy the cars they've worked for.

/end rant.
Zaxx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 12:12 AM   #44
Zaxx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And also!

Kudos to any P Plater, that worked hard to get the car they wanted.

It's not being spoilt, if you worked hard for it.

/end end rant.
Zaxx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 01:54 AM   #45
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i was a broke apprentice at licence time, i borrowed $30.00 and came home with my pride and joy, a dilapidated 68 cortina, 2 door 1600 cc......(the faster one) , spent the next 2 years paying it off :(.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 02:25 AM   #46
Trek
Blue blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75
What I wouldn't give for a new 60/70s gen car . Every car now is samesville. Rare for me to raise an eyelid at a new car driving past . If it wasn't for flash paint and wheels these days the car themselves are very boring to look at.
You and I both!

Speed and handling have not got anything on the class, scent, looks and comfort of the classics...

It's sad to think that period in history is never to be repeated.
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 05:04 AM   #47
Incontro

Quote:
A GOOD quote from an insurer here in the UK for a P Plater equivalent would cost £3000, which is $4700. Now tell me that the young drivers in Aus are unlucky.
Incontro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 06:50 AM   #48
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

surprisingly enough, cops were around more 20 years ago than today. a p plater of today only has to know where the cameras are and they have a quarter of the problems of p platers 20 years ago

my mates were on first name terms with the cops. i spoke to them very rarely - it ain't the cops fault, it is the driver's
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 07:27 AM   #49
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
A young kid from up my street stopped in today and with his brand new lancer was so cool.
I was changing the brake pads on my 96 ltd, black hands and wheel off car on a stand.

He just giggled and said stop wasting your weekend with that old horse, get a lancer and don't worry bout getting dirty hands.

But when he makes his repayments he might not be as smug.
There are two issues here:
1) new car repayments versus the cost of maintaining an older car
2) having to work on your car to reduce the cost of maintenance.

I think you perceive the former when the young guy was looking at the latter.
A lot of the cars you and I like do not appeal to the younger generation,
they're seen as old man's cars, how the hell did that happen to us...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 08:01 AM   #50
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I drove a $100 dung box 1980 1.1litre corrolla. Saved up $22k as a first year apprentice and bought a 1965 mustang, with a V8, on my p's.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 08:04 AM   #51
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

I agree with the OP to a point. Yes, there is a great choice of cheap and fast cars out there but really, the Nanny State has succeeded in taking all the enjoyment out of driving by ensuring motorists are *** raped for the slightest infraction. I despair that my youngest son will never get off his P plates.

I would not want to be in my son's generation now.

The '80's were great. The roads were full of cool cars and at least you had a sporting chance with the coppers. In '86 I hocked myself to the hilt to buy an XA GT Sedan for $5K which was top dollar then and a lot of money to find. It would be like financing a $40K car now.

GT's were easy to find as here were still plenty of them. The car yards were full of the best from Ford, Holden and Chrysler. You gould go to Garry & Warren Smith in Oakleigh and buy XD and XE plus VK & VL Interceptors straight off the lot. Mustangs were considered extremely exotic then (common as muck now - but I still like them). Car yard crawling with your mates was a weekly event.

The music and fashions were crap but hey, not everything's perfect.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 08:08 AM   #52
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
A lot of the cars you and I like do not appeal to the younger generation,
they're seen as old man's cars, how the hell did that happen to us...
Its even worse when you look back and realise that once upon a time you were like that kid yourself once....
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 08:41 AM   #53
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I think the same can be said for new cars as well.

Look at what $15,000 gets you today...... and what it got you 10 years ago.

New cars (especially small ones) in the last 10-15 years have halved in price when you look at the specs and features.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 09:36 AM   #54
RAPID_BA
Banned

Fair enough defecting a car for being unsafe but they go overboard.

Fair enough to ping you if you speed or break the law as it endangers others but for god sake let the cool cars back on the road. Years back you would see toranas with roll cages, superchargers hanging out the hood, loud and rumbly as hell, as long as they don't break the law let them be I say.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 09:42 AM   #55
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They are not that cheap really.
But obviously newer cars are more powerful and better handling because that is just progression and improvement. Like in another 20 years the cars will be even better and make FG Falcon look like an old '*******'
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 10:04 AM   #56
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA

for god sake let the cool cars back on the road. Years back you would see toranas with roll cages, superchargers hanging out the hood, loud and rumbly as hell, as long as they don't break the law let them be I say.
Its a generation thing as youve mentioned above re the lancer
The cool cars now are the late end high tech 4s,6s
Lancers, mazda 6s,rexxies,old and new,XR6Ts ect
Most of the late model high tech 4s,6s will nail most ol school grumpy as cool cars
New stuff doesnt need angry cams, big 4 barrells
They idle nice, return great economy and best of all,if well maintain, go like stink, stop,steer and dont attract attention

Seeing my first blown car on the street when young, youll never forget that whine,i fell of the pushie spinning my head fast for a looksie
But those days and visions are now restricted to events
Youll find most who still have an angry lumpy as old V8 or tuff ol skool 6 , use only on weekend as fuel is so expensive
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 10:12 AM   #57
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its funny, I have been driving for 16 years! and look back and think good old times!
Young guys now have fast cars, but no real fun. But even with that in 15 years you will look back and think "good old times"

I hear stories of 30 years back, or 50 years back and think wow, they had it good back then compared to myself.

Seriously the car is a good bit, but the experience is the best bit.

An old freind tells me back in the 40s and 50s he would race one of the geelong cops regularly in his private car from Geelong to Queenscliff and back to Geelong!

My Dad tells me of him in his newish 66 GT cortina (with mods) and his brother with v6 Capri driving flat out to the snow every few weekends during snow season!

You cant tell me the above is not cool!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #58
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also other freinds back in the 60 '+ 70's bought ex intercepter falcons just for flat out runs to adelaide from melbourne!
Old 14-11-2011, 10:22 AM   #59
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My grandpa who is long gone, I have photos of him driving old model T fords doing river crossings on the dirt road Hume hwy up to sydney! He also had cool Indian motobikes and rode as fast as possible in he 20s and 30s up to see my grandma in the country up dirt roads.

That above too is cooler than having a 400kw falcon that you cant use.
Old 14-11-2011, 10:23 AM   #60
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

consistent old car bashing on this forum that old cars are slow.....

try an angry Clevo at 3am.... very quick.. very fast.. very dangerous.....
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post