Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What would you rather?
BF Fairmont Ghia 57 50.44%
BF XR8 56 49.56%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-06-2007, 12:01 PM   #31
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Another point is the lack of a FPV LWB vehicle.

The AU had the TL50, I saw one the other day I thought the exterior styling could have been better but overall not a bad effort.

The AU interior is a matter of personal taste a lot of my mates and my girlfriend in particular love the interior of my Fairmont but absolutely hate the "squarish" dash of the BA and the "cheap" looking trip computer.

The point is that the LWB market is vital as Ford will be exporting to the middle east where the Falcon could prove to be too small. Even in the US the Fairlane was considered too small a replacement for the Crown Victoria.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2007, 12:18 PM   #32
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
Another point is the lack of a FPV LWB vehicle.

The AU had the TL50, I saw one the other day I thought the exterior styling could have been better but overall not a bad effort.
They hardly sold any long wheelbase T-series so why bother spending money on designing a BA version.

I would go the XR8 with full leather interior. Do they come with the colour screen as an option with premium sound? But if I could have anything it would be Typhoon or ultimately a Force 6. I've done the V8 thing for the last 4 years with my previous ef and now my BA, which I intend on keeping for another few years at least. Geez these car things are expensive!

I agree there is less derivation between the BA/BF XT and Fairmont Ghia dashes compared to the AU but I have never been in a BA/BF Ghia so I cant comment on how good/bad it is. The standard BA XT dash is good enough for me.

As far as exterior goes the ef/el had the best Fairmonts vs Falcons. The later models have been much harder to tell the difference.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2007, 01:21 PM   #33
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Im hoping there may be a German Inspired Fairmont, maybe from FPV. The Force modles were nice, but needed more identity, i.e. different bodykit all round.

Just imagine, LTD style Leather interior, Subtle, classy Body kit, nice crome 20" wheels, "elegant" colours...turbo...

So basicly a LTD in a short wheel base with the turbo...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2007, 02:47 PM   #34
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

I think it is clear that it is difficult balancing cost and keeping the fan base happy.

I would love the different models to be more unique but I guess it is just an added cost.

History has shown that the most poular cars for enthusiasts have been sales disasters.

Example: Skyline, while the rice croud love them sales of the skyline and others such as the Supra were so poor that these models eventually died along with their brilliant inline six engines.

The XF while being bagged for lacking a V8 version was the most succesful falcon model EVER while at the same time Holden was nearly broke even though they had a turbo and a V8.

I still think it would be wise if Ford put more effort into upmarket models.
There is no money in base models and the key to the Falcons survival is performance and luxury cars where all the profit is.

Ford is making good ground with the performance arm but the luxury cars leave a lot to be desired hmmmm maybe a luxury brand for the falcon possibly CTM (Cheap Than Mercedes)?
Old 03-06-2007, 02:52 PM   #35
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

The BF2 is alot better car than the BF1 was, looks way better, and just feels that much more classy!
Old 03-06-2007, 02:55 PM   #36
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Get the leather pack on a XR8 and you got a BETTER V8 Fairmont Ghia! BTW, BF MkII looks waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaay better than AU I, II or III!!!
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2007, 03:31 PM   #37
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like how the current ghia is differentiated from the rest of the line up. Hopefully this continues with orion?
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2007, 03:55 PM   #38
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
Thats my dash !!! only problem is too grey. Wood trim should be around centre stack ,shifter and wood spears on the doors.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2007, 04:14 PM   #39
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Example: Skyline, while the rice croud love them sales of the skyline and others such as the Supra were so poor that these models eventually died along with their brilliant inline six engines.
Skyline is not dead at all...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2007, 04:30 PM   #40
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Technically no but in essence yes.

The name "skyline" may have survived but it is no longer the same car.

It used to be in the WRX, EVO, HSV market and price bracket now it is in the Porsche, BMW and Merc market and price bracket.

Plus it is now a lot heavier and powered by a V6.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:31 PM   #41
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
I think it is clear that it is difficult balancing cost and keeping the fan base happy.

I would love the different models to be more unique but I guess it is just an added cost.

History has shown that the most poular cars for enthusiasts have been sales disasters.

The XF while being bagged for lacking a V8 version was the most succesful falcon model EVER while at the same time Holden was nearly broke even though they had a turbo and a V8.

I still think it would be wise if Ford put more effort into upmarket models.
There is no money in base models and the key to the Falcons survival is performance and luxury cars where all the profit is.

Ford is making good ground with the performance arm but the luxury cars leave a lot to be desired hmmmm maybe a luxury brand for the falcon possibly CTM (Cheap Than Mercedes)?
The problem is in the past the plain cars that do the job like the XF and other base models have sold in large numbers to fleets. The fleet market has now changed with user chooser options and the large cars are no longer the choice of many people.
Both Ford and Holden have to now rely much more on the private customer whom normally demands something more than just what will do the job. They want performance and luxury and care about what their car looks and drives like and what features it has etc.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2007, 05:55 PM   #42
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We took my mates old man’s AU3 Fairlane “Sportsman” as the party transport last night over my XR6T which was fine buy me cause after 3 weeks of nightshift I was drinking heavily, LOL

But what a car, the Look from the front could do with a bit of work but otherwise I loved the thing, the 5 litre could do with some work like stroking it :evil3: Fit a good 2win system with extractors, 3.73 LSD Ect and it would be a magic ride and not a bad sleeper, and being a Fairlane the cop’s wouldn’t even look twice at it.:

Thou I must admit staggering out of a club at 2am and climbing into a Fairlane made me feel like I was 22 going on 50 LOL
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2007, 07:24 PM   #43
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

All a Fairlane needs is a nice big block under the bonnet...........
Old 03-06-2007, 08:23 PM   #44
Deviateboy
Banned

I thought the thread was called has ford abandoned luxo cars....?
answer..yes, the fairlane dies this year.
But holden continues to build (hsv?) the luxo barge grange and sell by the bucket load, hello Ford! do a sport/muscle hero fairlane give them some cred again!
Deviateboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2007, 08:34 PM   #45
Nashy86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviateboy
I thought the thread was called has ford abandoned luxo cars....?
answer..yes, the fairlane dies this year.
Fairlane wasn't the only luxury car in the lineup. It died because it couldn't compete against its rivals both inside and outside ford
Written off whilst parked!

FG Mk II XR6T
Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto,, Dark Tint
Awesome toy for Grown Ups!
Nashy86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2007, 08:37 PM   #46
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Luxury isnt worth the money. Ford did the right thing to discontinue the long wheelbase cars.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2007, 10:01 PM   #47
Nashy86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives
Ford did the right thing to discontinue the long wheelbase cars.
Agreed
Because they were building so few the parts were sometimes being stamped in Geelong then going rusty before being put into the cars in broady, thats not sustainable manufacturing
Written off whilst parked!

FG Mk II XR6T
Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto,, Dark Tint
Awesome toy for Grown Ups!
Nashy86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2007, 10:18 PM   #48
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Apparently you can count the number of LTD sold with 2 hands.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 01:09 AM   #49
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Wow, they sold 13 then!

Ford should just rebadge the Statesman and sell it as a Ford. Of course, just change the front bar and grille and headlights to something more Ford. Holden did it with the GTO - sold as a Pontiac!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 11:09 AM   #50
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Yes but on the announcement that the lwb would be discontinued, didn't ford sell over 270 fairlanes last month? LTD's are down to zero as the fairlane ghia now represents some really great value for money.

As for the comments on the EL's being better than the AU interiors; I don't think so. I have had an NL, and two DL's and I can tell you that the DU2 interior kills them all. The rouched leather (gathered leather) seats are that much more cushioned in the DU compared to the DL and are a whole lot more supportive, the dashboard is much easier to use, the drivers seat has a memory and there is a much more liberal use of leather throughout the entire cabin. The gaudy orange displays are gone and the central GPS screen is surrounded by woodgrain. There is much less of a plastic feel in the DU; this can't be said of the DL or even the BA for that matter.

I'll get some photo's if you like.

Quote: