Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 21-12-2005, 11:15 PM   #31
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

i would be suprised if they continue with the monaro - but it would be cool
Old 21-12-2005, 11:20 PM   #32
BOSS 540
70 Mercury Eliminator

'Ripper New VE Monaro again?, Povman, ute' etc..., well spread the news somewhere they care, like a holden forum.

Last edited by BOSS 540; 21-12-2005 at 11:26 PM.
Old 21-12-2005, 11:46 PM   #33
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhdriver
Good news....The VE article pretty much confirms that VE Wagon, Ute, Crewman and maybe even Monaro will go ahead.
Just goes to show what a load of sh1t some of those rumors were which were circulating a few months ago.

I'm very excited about the VE, it sounds like it's going to be a ripper.
Where did you hear this? The data I have seen shows that the VZ wagon will be built to at least the end of 2008.

Quote:
Yeah it was funny at first but you've done it to death to the point where it's starting to sound really lame. Get over it already. _
The truth is never lame.

FF
Old 21-12-2005, 11:58 PM   #34
Psycho Chicken
Banned

lol Monaro back?

Peter Brock/John Farnham/Holden Monaro last time (honest) tour 2006.
Old 22-12-2005, 12:02 AM   #35
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That line about korea is getting mega old.
Ford - No boundaries, for South Africa or Thailand

VE Monaro and the VE is something Ford fans should care about as the competition improves the breed.

Dont want Ford to be stuck in the 80's again.
Old 22-12-2005, 12:17 AM   #36
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Football, meatpies, kangaroos and holden cars.
Baseball, hotdogs, apple pie and chevrolet...

It wasn't even holdens jingle.

As for the current dilemma, the replacement of the previous model Astra and Barina's (two good cars) with "newer", poorer designed, less refined, less capable and less reliable vehicles will takes it's toll.

Honestly, some people wont know the difference or what they are missing out on. Those who do, will buy a Fiesta. Also the sales of the new Holdens haven't been nearly as good as some suggested.
Old 22-12-2005, 12:28 AM   #37
Falcon Freak
Banned

More Daewoo / Holden comparisson pictures added

FF
Old 22-12-2005, 02:07 AM   #38
gmhdriver
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
As for the current dilemma, the replacement of the previous model Astra and Barina's (two good cars) with "newer", poorer designed, less refined, less capable and less reliable vehicles will takes it's toll.
Are we forgetting the whole AH Astra range? What Holden are doing is giving customers a choice. If you want European quality and refinement you've got the more expensive Astra, if you're after a bugdet economy vehicle then you've got the Viva/Barina. Makes sense to me. People who buy budget small cars don't give a sh1t about things like refinement or handling. Look at the Excel when it was selling at $13990 drive away - it sold in droves.

And why do you think that the Daewoo built Barina/Viva will be any less reliable than the European Barina / old Astra. After all, they all use exactly the same engines, built by Holden in Melbourne.

Last edited by gmhdriver; 22-12-2005 at 02:15 AM.
Old 22-12-2005, 08:24 AM   #39
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Yeah it was funny at first but you've done it to death to the point where it's starting to sound really lame. Get over it already. _

On another note, I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned that the engines and various components of the Barina/Viva are made right here in Melbourne. So theoretically they have the most local content of any small car sold in Australia.
No, I haven't done it since October so get over to LS1 and complain there.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 22-12-2005, 08:30 AM   #40
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Good news....The VE article pretty much confirms that VE Wagon, Ute, Crewman and maybe even Monaro will go ahead.
Just goes to show what a load of sh1t some of those rumors were which were circulating a few months ago.

Yes, because the Monaro has been such a runaway sales success in the USA, they decided to build it in the USA again.

Oh, and by the way; your idea of confirmation of the other vehicles is no certain thing, GM have yet to sign off on them. So the rumours are not yet disproven.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 22-12-2005, 08:33 AM   #41
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
And why do you think that the Daewoo built Barina/Viva will be any less reliable than the European Barina / old Astra. After all, they all use exactly the same engines, built by Holden in Melbourne.
That's the venerable Camira engine no?

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 22-12-2005, 11:21 AM   #42
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

camira hehehe...now that was a crappy car
Old 22-12-2005, 11:58 AM   #43
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
maybe even Monaro will go ahead.
From what I read the monaro will be rebadged a HSV coupe.

Also that there will be a monaro but it'll be a rebadged GM from the states.
Old 22-12-2005, 01:06 PM   #44
gmhdriver
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
That's the venerable Camira engine no?
No, Camira engines were called Family II and were SOHC, the engines that go into the Astra, barina, Viva etc are a different engine which are DOHC and are codenamed CX18E or something similar.
Old 22-12-2005, 01:14 PM   #45
gmhdriver
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Oh, and by the way; your idea of confirmation of the other vehicles is no certain thing, GM have yet to sign off on them. So the rumours are not yet disproven.
I never said that they were 100% confirmed, but the article implies that they are almost certain to be approved.

Quote:
"Only the sedan is officially approved," he said. "These days there’s a complex product approval process, but ultimately everything’s approved out of Detroit. Let’s say the wagon and ute are not ‘unapproved’.

"Logically, if you were a betting man ... they’re both still very viable segments and they’re both certain to happen.
We'll just have to wait and see....
Old 22-12-2005, 01:49 PM   #46
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
No, Camira engines were called Family II and were SOHC, the engines that go into the Astra, barina, Viva etc are a different engine which are DOHC and are codenamed CX18E or something similar.
They may have DOHC and a different code. But they are still called Family II by Holden as they are based on the same SOHC design which were used in the Camira in the early 1980s. If you were to visit Holden's plant 16 where these engines are assembled you'd see the Family II name listed in many places.

FF
Old 22-12-2005, 01:55 PM   #47
gmhdriver
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
They may have DOHC and a different code. But they are still called Family II by Holden as they are based on the same SOHC design which were used in the Camira in the early 1980s. If you were to visit Holden's plant 16 where these engines are assembled you'd see the Family II name listed in many places.

FF
So what? I could say that the DOHC I6 in the BA/BF is based on the XD 250 crossflow.... Does that mean they have anything in common?
Old 22-12-2005, 03:21 PM   #48
need psi
slow & low EA Ghia

Quote:

sorry to dissapoint you buddy there are no VE monaro's. as for a load of , i work at holdens, good mates of mine are the engineers there and they have said there are no plans for a monaro in the VE range, and are still unsure about the crappy crewmans too.

Quote:
Where did you hear this? The data I have seen shows that the VZ wagon will be built to at least the end of 2008.

the truth is never lame.

FF
the VE wagon will most probably start being built late 2006 or early 2007, it will be about 6 months after the release of the VE sedan in june/july.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Yes, because the Monaro has been such a runaway sales success in the USA, they decided to build it in the USA again.

the gto's are more then likely going to be built in mexico and we wont be getting in AUS. there will be no right hand drives made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
lol Monaro back?

Peter Brock/John Farnham/Holden Monaro last time (honest) tour 2006.
hahahahaa^^^^

Ehab

Old 22-12-2005, 04:18 PM   #49
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
So what? I could say that the DOHC I6 in the BA/BF is based on the XD 250 crossflow.... Does that mean they have anything in common?
What under which rock did you crawl from? It is a well known fact that that the Ford in-line six design dates back many decades. What has this to do with Holden's Family II engine?

FF
Old 22-12-2005, 04:29 PM   #50
gmhdriver
Banned

Quote:
What under which rock did you crawl from? It is a well known fact that that the Ford in-line six design dates back many decades. What has this to do with Holden's Family II engine?

FF
You don't get it do you? The Falcon I6 has nothing to to with the Family II engines, obviously. I used it as an example to make a point - Comparing the old Camira engines with the latest Family II engines is like comparing the XD I6 to the BA I6.
Old 22-12-2005, 05:13 PM   #51
Falcon Freak
Banned

Looks like you need some lessons in reading and comprehension junior. You made the comment that the engines in the new Daewoo Holden models are not related to the Familly II engine in Camira. I pointed out to you that this is not correct. Then you fly off on a tangent by discussing Ford's in-line six cylinder engine.

A blind man could almost see that changes Holden has made to the Family II engine in the last 20+ years. Examples are introduction of DOHC and fuel injection which were not present on the JB Camira. HOWEVER the basic engine design is still the same and Holden still calls it the Family II engine.

Now go away.

FF
Old 22-12-2005, 05:22 PM   #52
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Just reading DRIVE website.
Link to article http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/ar...f=7&bg=24&pp=6

The P76 Awards for outstanding mediocrity and a silver medalist was:

For seizing the Daewoo: Holden

Soon after taking over Daewoo in Australia, Holden closed it down. It seemed a wise decision, as Australians had comprehensively demonstrated they didn't want Daewoos at anything more than a giveaway price.

Then something odd happened: Holden decided the problem with the cars wasn't that they were boxy, flimsy, agricultural and without flair. No, the problem was that the little chrome badges didn't say Holden. The result? Two Daewoos cynically rebadged as the Holden Barina and Holden Viva, selling on nothing more than price and looking suspiciously, stop us if you've heard this before, boxy, flimsy, agricultural and without flair.
Old 22-12-2005, 05:31 PM   #53
gmhdriver
Banned

Well Holden had to make do with what they had - the current Daewoo sourced models still had some time to run when GM took over Daewoo, so they could only do so much as was financially viable.
The next generation Barina/Viva will be GM designed (by Mike Simcoe I believe) and GM engineered, with substantial input by Holden engineers, meaning they will be much better cars, with the advantage of being built in a country where labour doesn't cost top dollar.
Old 22-12-2005, 05:48 PM   #54
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Just reading DRIVE website.
Link to article http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/ar...f=7&bg=24&pp=6

The P76 Awards for outstanding mediocrity and a silver medalist was:

For seizing the Daewoo: Holden

Soon after taking over Daewoo in Australia, Holden closed it down. It seemed a wise decision, as Australians had comprehensively demonstrated they didn't want Daewoos at anything more than a giveaway price.

Then something odd happened: Holden decided the problem with the cars wasn't that they were boxy, flimsy, agricultural and without flair. No, the problem was that the little chrome badges didn't say Holden. The result? Two Daewoos cynically rebadged as the Holden Barina and Holden Viva, selling on nothing more than price and looking suspiciously, stop us if you've heard this before, boxy, flimsy, agricultural and without flair.

a few more interesting tid bits, good article that one:
For clutching at straws: Ford

Just after our 2004 P76 awards, motoring journalists started reporting clutch problems with Ford Performance Vehicles' high-performance F6 Typhoon. Ford and FPV countered that there was absolutely no problem with the car and any faults lay squarely with driver abuse.

It was mere coincidence that the company soon recalled the 128 cars on the road and didn't re-release the model until May this year - with a modified clutch.

To his credit, FPV managing director David Flint said the incident "did highlight there was something wrong with our testing procedure. It will give us a much stronger process in the future."

* The only car in Subaru's Australian range not to benefit from side airbags is the fastest, most sports-oriented model: the WRX STi.

* Most outrageous option price? Maybe satellite navigation for the Audi A4 at $8500. Or those optional prancing horse decals on the guards of the Ferrari F430 Spider. Take a deep breath, they're $3500. Or then there's the Ferrari 612's matching luggage set: $40,000. The car is $650,000.

* Hyundai pitched its Getz model to television audiences to the tune Zippety Doo-Dah, best known to Australians as the jingle for Victa lawn-mower ads. A two-stroke of genius from ad-land.

* Ross McKenzie, head marketing honcho at Holden quipped that Saab was the company "with more models than customers". Saab is a sister brand of Holden. McKenzie is retiring at the end of the year. We'll miss his candour

sorry a bit OT, but just some interesting reading :
Old 22-12-2005, 05:52 PM   #55
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUB
* Hyundai pitched its Getz model to television audiences to the tune Zippety Doo-Dah, best known to Australians as the jingle for Victa lawn-mower ads. A two-stroke of genius from ad-land.
I thought that Hyundai's engines were two-stroke?
Old 22-12-2005, 06:04 PM   #56
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaNob!
I dearly wish I could buy a Tshirt with that slogan on it. Just a plain Tshirt like the "Worlds best Streetfighter" ones Toyota have.

That would be reaaal nice.
I know a screen printer, and we could put it on Korean made shirts too; for authenticity!

Quote: