Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-11-2006, 07:52 AM   #31
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiklovich
The build quality will never be the same because the chinese steel manufacturing plants are cheap as well.... It all starts from the raw materials. If they are not as good, the product made by them will be rubbish too.
As far as I understood, most big-name Yanky aftermarket crankshaft "manufacters" get all their raw forgings from China, and just send then back to the good-ole US-of-A for machining? As long as they get their processes correct and stick to them, there isn't really a reason why Chinese assembled products would be worse than "Western" assembled ones. The problem however seems to be corruption at govt/organisational levels .. everything is made as cheap as possible, regardless of safely, legal-issues, etc ..

Who really wants to say that a Chinese worker is less-capable than as Australia one? I'd doubt the average "Joe" slapping together Falcons in Broadmeadows is any more skilled than the average "Lee" slapping together Statesmans in Beijing ..

However I do not condone this. It's the continuing slide of Australia manufacturing. Aeronautics is basically gone, electronics is basically gone, now automotive is under threat. Then it will be heavy industry .. we'll be back to farming and tourism. Maybe Paul Keating was right?
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 08:02 AM   #32
knighto42

Trouble with China is consistency. Like BeStRaFe said above - it'll take them 6 goes to get it right and that shipment will be great. Then 2 shipments later quality goes down the toilet again.
knighto42 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 08:52 AM   #33
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
One thing we might be overlooking here is that China is a communist country with a controlled economy and not subject to the same market forces - even though a form of controlled capitalism is practised where it suits them. I don't think they'll allow their competitive advantage to be lost. They'll be with us for a very long time.
that's a good pint. They seem to be allowign a lot in but the control might mean they set their own rules and can act independant of external market forces.

I think we have missed the boat with China and with our own developement. We should have been developing an ethanol and bio-diesel industry, implementing it and exporting the fuels, technology and possibly the vehicles.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 09:20 AM   #34
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
No its not, its a two generation old E-Class Merc
I was being sarscastic.!! This is what we could get as a Statesman if built in China. A Chairman !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have looked at one, I don't know who would buy one. Nearly the same price as a Statesman/Fairlane.
I Drive knob is an ashtray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 09:28 AM   #35
xr8man83
Grunt Files

as long as ford dont do it it will be ok but it is a growing concern to see so many jobs going overseas
xr8man83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 10:03 AM   #36
TZENU
XY Driv3r

I think what most people are worried about is 'quality control' more than anything
Old 14-11-2006, 11:12 AM   #37
Sapper
Back to the AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Is that meant to be a joke?
No its serious. China have awesome build quality nowadays. Not for everything they do but they do an awesome job for a lot of their manufacturing. Especially mechanical stuff.
When i was working as an engineering intern for an aussie manufacturing company, we spoke to people from europe who couldn't match the chinese machine's build quality. Yes there are some backyard companies that still produce crap but the organised industry can produce awesome quality work for a fraction fo the cost here. An example is that many American cars cannot be sold in China due to the emissions regulations being tougher in China.
For memory, the Chinese economy is no longer completely regulated by comunist practice. They have a hybrid system which is facilitating the massive economic boom they have there.
Old 14-11-2006, 11:32 AM   #38
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No way, NEVER, I don't even like buying BIANTE etc that are made in China. China is a polluted hole. actually I wouldnt mind if they made HOLDENS in China as long as they kept them there along with the rest of the crap.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 12:23 PM   #39
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Holden already gets most of their stuff from Asia anyway. They used to get their plastics from LINPAC group, now they get it from south korea. On top of that, the steel price in Oz went through the roof and holden started getting their steel from china. As mentioned before, not the same quality and a hell of a lot of recycled dubious quality metal in there. You'd be surprised to learn just how much of the ve is from se asia. Actually come to think of it, the successor to the ve should be called SE, after SE Asia.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 12:35 PM   #40
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot xr6
No its serious. China have awesome build quality nowadays. Not for everything they do but they do an awesome job for a lot of their manufacturing. Especially mechanical stuff.
You're right hot xr6. From a lot of comments on this thread a lot of people don't understand China. Ironically a lot of technology we take for granted in the west was invented in China hundreds of years ago. Has anybody seen their awesome civil engineering? They're smart people, and fortunately non-aggressive so won't be such bad people to live alongside with so much economic power - even if it costs our own economy. Better than some obnoxious nation having such power.

Lets put Chinese quality in perspective. Firstly a few decades of hard ideological communism and the cold war undermined quality/innovation in countries that were technologically clever such as China and Czechoslovakia. They were sheltered from the competitive forces of capitalism and their industries became complacent and starved of ideas and incentive. Now that these countries have reconnected to the global economy and ideas everything is turning around. The Czechs went straight to the front because they are a small country/ quick to restructure and now Skoda for example (once a communist joke) is regarded as the best quality car brand in the world after Lexus. Same thing will be happening in China (much bigger elephant to get moving) as they gain experience from joint manufacturing ventures with western countries (including some rampant plagiarism unfortunately).

I believe China has now just lapped Germany as the third biggest motor vehicle manufacturer in the world after US and Japan. (Also a case of China going up passing Germany going down in the opposite direction I think!) So don't resist the inevitable and it won't be so bad quality-wise in the long term. More a case of working out how best Australia can restructure to well-position itself in this global economy.
Old 14-11-2006, 05:14 PM   #41
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
You'd be surprised to learn just how much of the ve is from se asia. Actually come to think of it, the successor to the ve should be called SE, after SE Asia.
You'd be surprised to learn how many parts coming in from asia go into the Falcon. But sourced through a middleman in Austaralia so it's considered Australian content.

Also some of the stuff that comes out of China is good quality but it also comes at a price.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 06:44 PM   #42
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
As long as we all purely buy on ticket price there is no hope for the future of our kids and country.... Are we patriotic enough to turn our backs on this kind of business pratice??
Perhaps if we had a domestic offering that didnt consider 15L/100km a headline fuel consumption figure?

What's the bread and butter offering from GMH and Ford? A 35 thousand dollar gas gussler weighing in at about 1800kg.

Im over 4, 5 and 6 litre engines. So is our planet.

And what are the domestic manufacturers cramming down my throat when i walk into the dealership?

It's not the 2 litre.
Old 14-11-2006, 06:50 PM   #43
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
I think that the main point here is the fact that even more Ozzie manafacturing jobs look like going over seas. Perhaps someone could please explain to me how this is a good thing. How the hell will holden "the aussie icon" ever live down being biult in China??

I know that most here on this forum would not go out of their way to buy a holden, but how many more Australians will be thinking the same thing. As long as we all purely buy on ticket price there is no hope for the future of our kids and country.... Are we patriotic enough to turn our backs on this kind of business pratice??

Anyway. I dont reckon that it will happen. Perhaps holden have some AWA negotiations coming up and are putting fear into their workers.
Id say its simply economics, its relatively too expensive to manufacture in Australia compared to O/S, the Australian dollar is too high as well.

Old 14-11-2006, 06:52 PM   #44
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Perhaps if we had a domestic offering that didnt consider 15L/100km a headline fuel consumption figure?

What's the bread and butter offering from GMH and Ford? A 35 thousand dollar gas gussler weighing in at about 1800kg.

Im over 4, 5 and 6 litre engines. So is our planet.

And what are the domestic manufacturers cramming down my throat when i walk into the dealership?

It's not the 2 litre.
I will never be over 4, 5, or 6 litre engines. My 5.4 litre will happily return 11.5 at 140 kph, with the family on board, in comfort. That statement of mine can be applied to Chinese cars or American oranges. As a nation we are bargain hunting ourselves onto thin ice.
Old 14-11-2006, 07:01 PM   #45
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
How are they ******* over Australian workers? The way I see it is that they are creating Aussie workers with this deal. Holden exports are only going to rise with this, more cars, whether they be complete or not, means more jobs here.
Last time I looked Ford was the only one cutting jobs. :rolleyes:
Its not like they were exporting complete WMs and suddenly decided to change to just exporting the parts, this is a new deal, meaning more jobs, not less.
Yeah well havemore local jobs manufacturing overseas,and if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 07:29 PM   #46
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by repsol
the barina for example take a car that wasnt selling well here rebadge it to holden barina and up the price and it is selling,i would however like to see the sales figures of the previous model and compare.

Rep
It wouldnt matter if the car was the same 100% just rebaged, They trust 2 things about holden and not daewoo.
1: The name.
2: Deawoo was almost gone and started too get the poor 380 treatment you cant trust buying a car if the car company is going under what about my warranty's etc. Now with holden that same car is better backed up if anything goes wrong they are covered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
You'd be surprised to learn how many parts coming in from asia go into the Falcon. But sourced through a middleman in Austaralia so it's considered Australian content.

Also some of the stuff that comes out of China is good quality but it also comes at a price.
Too right, Bought in from overseas and then bought off the buyer that originally bought it form OS. Looks all good on the sticker oz made:P

Every single part of my pc is from OS. But i bought the parts from a Aussie Supplier and fitted them myself. It's Aussie owned and made;).
Old 14-11-2006, 10:35 PM   #47
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt

Actually mate, no. Falcon has the vast majority of all its plastics done in Australia. Linpac have a massive plant next door to ford in broadmeadows, and they also have a whole range of polypropylene components made in minto and other locations around oz. I spoke to the rep from viscount plastics (part of the linpac group) on Friday last week, and he told me that things had slowed down due to the commodore and china.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 10:43 PM   #48
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Actually mate, no. Falcon has the vast majority of all its plastics done in Australia. Linpac have a massive plant next door to ford in broadmeadows, and they also have a whole range of polypropylene components made in minto and other locations around oz. I spoke to the rep from viscount plastics (part of the linpac group) on Friday last week, and he told me that things had slowed down due to the commodore and china.
Minto?? isn't that in QLD. Or does Vic have a minto as well???
Old 14-11-2006, 10:44 PM   #49
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_Aussie
Too right, Bought in from overseas and then bought off the buyer that originally bought it form OS. Looks all good on the sticker oz made:P

Every single part of my pc is from OS. But i bought the parts from a Aussie Supplier and fitted them myself. It's Aussie owned and made;).
Thats overly simplistic.
Ford have a "just in time" policy in regards to stocks for a lot of their plastics, and moulding is usually a week for a production run of say 2500 bumpers, shipping them from china can take up to 3 months and as such is not an option with these extensive delays. Holden have a substantial export market and are able to pre-empt X amount of cars and order enmasse accordingly. Furthermore, look at the Australian Standardised date stamp, it will be look like 3 little clocks with an arrow pointing to a number. China does their date stamps differently with an actual digit or in some cases, no stamp at all. Even better yet, chinese moulds will often have an actual model number on them in chinese numerals and digits.

Quote: