Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Is the media biased towards Holden and against Ford?
Yes, they're biased towards Holden 167 82.67%
No, they're fairly balanced both ways 30 14.85%
No, they're biased towards Ford 5 2.48%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2009, 02:00 AM   #31
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
wheels/motor/carpoint et al, are they fairfax?

Wheels AND motor is PBL

Carpoint is publically listed, so not sure.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:45 AM   #32
Mr X
mustang pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by faalcon
I find the bias towards Holden almost sickening, found this one
http://www.carsguide.com.au/site/new...iates_fastest/
Now the difference between the Falcon and Commodore is quite small but they still have to pick on the Falcon

............and yet-in the same article

2007 LARGE CARS (retained value):

THE BEST:
1. Ford FPV GT Cobra — 92.2%
2. Mercedes E-Class — 72.9%

Nothing like a "Stick the boots" in headline.
Mr X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 10:42 AM   #33
NudgE^SIKBRO
Never late with a V8

I think its all a load of rubbish, I dont know a great deal about this sort of stuff but i do have a dabble from time to time in the cars guide or whatever, If they say the COmmodore is a better car, its still no going to make me buy one, If they say the Ford is worse, not that im looking but as im 1 way to the Falcon, id still buy it. The problem as many have said is Holdens Marketing team do a farbetter job than ours, for all there cars, God knows im not going to buy a Mondeo just because i can get my dirty rottern slobbering dog in it and "Talk" to the ICC, however, the add for say the Cruze, sells the car, I believe watching the add makes you feel that owning a cruze will make ya feel like a happier person, Holden adds are Pretty and pretty sells, My wife thinks the same thing and shes the one that will be buying this type of car once her 09 Swift is due for replacment in a couple of years time.

(Daily)2004 Explorer V8 Limited
(Work) 2014 Kenworth K200 Aerodyne
(Classic) 1969 Mini K, 1340, twin SU's
The beginning is near!!!

Body by Ford. Soul by NudgE
NudgE^SIKBRO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 11:02 AM   #34
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there is a great artical today in the geelong addy about ford donating a car to an aged care facility

when i get back from taking the kids swimming ill copy it and post it up

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 11:36 AM   #35
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

The KFC homepage is a good example of this. Why can't the two cars just sit side by side?
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 11:40 AM   #36
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1DY
The KFC homepage is a good example of this. Why can't the two cars just sit side by side?
the whole world's agaist you, if it isn't the news paper it's KFC.
goes to check mcdonalds, burger king, hungry jacks.....
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 11:50 AM   #37
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
the whole world's agaist you, if it isn't the news paper it's KFC.
goes to check mcdonalds, burger king, hungry jacks.....
I was pointing out that the FPV sitting in the background, with the HSV dominating the foreground. How can this been seen as a even interpretation of the standard between the two cars, when one is being preferenced over the other?

I understand that Holden is synonymous with Australian culuture, but I don't think that should affect the way in which KFC depicict these two vehicles.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 12:03 PM   #38
HUNTER8

Quote:
Originally Posted by faalcon
I find the bias towards Holden almost sickening, found this one
http://www.carsguide.com.au/site/new...iates_fastest/
Now the difference between the Falcon and Commodore is quite small but they still have to pick on the Falcon
effectively if you paid the same price for the Commondoor then you would be $47 richer. Ho-hum I'd be excited if I had bought that instead of a Falcon.
HUNTER8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 01:20 PM   #39
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Slow news day eh?
Old 05-09-2009, 01:21 PM   #40
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Default Dream Beemer with a Holden touch

Here is a good one. No matter how weak the link is back to Holden they'll find it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive
Not often do you spot a link between German prestige giant BMW and iconic Aussie manufacturer Holden, so when the eye-catching concept sketches of 3D designer Idries Noah crossed our computer screen we were intrigued.

He quickly discovered that despite being labelled the BMW M Concept, this car isn't a BMW, nor is it endorsed by BMW in any way. It's a work of pure fiction from the mind of Noah, a South African who spent nearly two years working at Holden's design studio in Melbourne.
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...eID=64231&vf=2

There's a few other examples in the following thread:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11271671
Old 05-09-2009, 01:29 PM   #41
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr X
............and yet-in the same article

2007 LARGE CARS (retained value):

THE BEST:
1. Ford FPV GT Cobra — 92.2%
2. Mercedes E-Class — 72.9%

Nothing like a "Stick the boots" in headline.
He has a point there, why create that headline which has much more impact on the avearge joe than the impact of actual fact that Commodore holds 0.1% more value..
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 04:06 PM   #42
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Yep I think there is a Holden bias in the media. Thats why I dont read Motor, Wheels, Carsguide, Drive etc anymore. On some occasions it is just people being a bit too passionate and seeing things that arent there but overall there would be a bias.

For any facebookers out there, here is a groupo for you to join

Facebook group
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 06:23 PM   #43
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

They are definetly biased towards the red team, always seem to be trying to make Ford look bad and Holden good, but we all know the truth
Old 05-09-2009, 06:32 PM   #44
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the Falcon is as much an Australian car so to speak as the Commodore, yet for years Holden have been playing the Ausralian car theme almost to the point of brain washing and this sort of advertising had paid them divid ends perception wise, even though the Falcon is just as Australian if not more these days, it just comes down to persistant advertising and a fair degree of ignorance and grown bias in the population that inevitably filters down to some publications and road testers imo.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 07:05 PM   #45
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think its funny that holden play the aussie card every chance they get lately they do more development work on them everywhere else, and the falcon is really the only car made, developed and sold only in aus for aussies and its great to see that we have something for us not everywhere else, why don't the media look at this more?
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 07:08 PM   #46
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezxr8man
I think its funny that holden play the aussie card every chance they get lately they do more development work on them everywhere else, and the falcon is really the only car made, developed and sold only in aus for aussies and its great to see that we have something for us not everywhere else, why don't the media look at this more?

You try pushing that the Falcon is more aussie with that big American Ford badge on the grill.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:12 PM   #47
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Agree that Holden is perceived as the Australian car, which helps a lot in its marketing and general following.

I remember when the first FG test (XT I think it was) was published in the "Carsguide" in the Herald-Sun last year. Not a mention of it anywhere amongst all the other contents on the cover page in that publication, and was found buried in about 3/4 way to the back.

Had a look at the latest Wheels offering in the newsagent this morning (not that I was going to buy it), there was a large article on three Holdens (Monaros) that cannot be bought or could have been bought. Whats the point in publishing that stuff then? Probably just to wet the appetite of the majority of the younger generation car enthusiasts that have been brought up with brand H.

There is a publication I think that is very level biased between the two brands and that is Australian Muscle Car, goes straight to the facts and with constructive criticisms, and is a breath of fresh air compared to the fancy worded and generally misleading Wheels and Motor articles.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 07:14 PM   #48
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
You try pushing that the Falcon is more aussie with that big American Ford badge on the grill.
I think the problem lies in the fact that gm chose to buy a company in aust ie holden & then sell their product under that name, when ford came here they just sold cars, no umbrella name to go under by so the impression to the average aussie is that the holden is the only local produce. Its a shame toyota aren't involved in this problem it might have taken the heat off of ford.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 07:17 PM   #49
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes I believe the media are biased against Ford, just like the media are biased against Qantas. God help us if Qantas have a mid-air incident; it's portrayed like a near fatal disaster. Malaysia Airlines and Singapore Airlines suffer from the same incidents and it barely rates a mention. Let's not mention the near catastrophic disaster at Melbourne Airport involving an Emirates A340 which dragged it's 'ar'se' on the tarmac and took out a couple of light/radio beacons, hey, Emirates are perfectly safe!

Liwewise, every time there is a story about Ford or the Falcon the Falcon's 'survival' or 'future' comes up. GM on the other hand are bankrupt and the media cannot speak highly enough of GM-H.

I've been happy to spend my money purchasing Fords and flying Qantas. VB and Holden can get stuffed.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:22 PM   #50
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are a few journos who are holden biased but most are not. Those who look for them see them everywhere and believe they are the majority.

There are a few people who believe that all performance care owners are dangerous hoons but most are not. Those who look for them see them everywhere and believe they are the majority.

There are a few drivers who believe all police are unreasionable nazis but most are not. Those who look for them see them everywhere and believe they are the majority.

When you look you see what you want to see which may or may not be what others see or even what is actually there.....

In saying that, all media is revinue oriented, he who pays the most in the form of advertising and junkets gets the best treatment.

As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be....lies without end......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 09:21 PM   #51
xr8 utey
FORD DRIVERS WANTED!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be....lies without end......
AMEN.........FOOTBALL MEATPIES KANGAROOS AND ..........CARS

Last edited by xr8 utey; 05-09-2009 at 09:29 PM.
xr8 utey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 10:24 PM   #52
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

yeah thats right xr8 utey
i bet if you did a poll on whether ford was american or australian owned, and a poll on whether holden was american or australian owned, you'd get most people saying america for ford and australia for holden, when the facts are, they're both mainly american (obviously there's some local and govt investment)
Old 06-09-2009, 11:34 AM   #53
blu_oval06

Quote:
Ah controversy.

I dont know about biased, but they seem to turn a blind eye to Holdens short comings. It all depends on what media we are talking about.
Yes, the media seems to focus on the negatives of Ford products. I'll stick my hand up right now and say there's nothing wromg with my Shockwave paint, but according to some publications it's about to all fall off.

Quote:
Magazines like wheels and motor have a case to answer for, but to be fair to holden they have produced more models/concepts over the past 10 years; now it has been good and bad for them. But at the end of the day half the battle is keeping your brand in the mind of consumers, this they excel at.
Concepts such as the silly and ill conceived Adventra, which was Holden's answer to the Territory. The cheap Asian imported Captiva was the Terri's next rival; the only reason they sell any at all is because of the diesel option, but it's not much of a car. The Sportswagon was Holdens next concept, again it rivals the Terri in some ways (they were compared in Wheels so they must be rivals....right?) but all it is is a direct copy of a 300C wagon. About the only radical concept from Holden in recent years was the Crewman, and it definitely had its shortcomings.

Ford has has less models/concepts over the years because they have less need to change them. Holden is purely a reactive company, not a visionary one.

Quote:
You will always get some writers (if you can call them that, gover and dowling for example) that are just commercial sluts and will write anything to be popular.
No, in my opinion Gover actually believes what he writes.

Quote:
I think Ford have made some good moves over the past couple of years, they really need to start hitting home how much better their product actually is in comparison; christ give small discounts to people who test drive Fords before purchasing or something, just get people in them!
Agreed.
blu_oval06 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 05:26 PM   #54
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Default Cars we wish had never been launched

A lot has changed in two years, check out this blast from the past:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Butler - December 18 2006

Cars we wish had never been launched

Holden Barina

Could this be an insight into how dumb Holden thinks the Australian small car buyer is? The previous – European – Barina was actually a decent drive, well-built... and safe. The rebadged Daewoo Kalos from Korea takes a giant leap backwards in all three areas. Would you want your daughter driving this car?
http://blogs.drive.com.au/2006/12/ca...r_been_la.html
Old 06-09-2009, 05:35 PM   #55
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

An interesting test would be to post this poll on the LS1 Forum. If the needle even moves off zero (i.e. some of the less blatant Holden fans admit there is a bias) then there is a problem.
I lay the blame for this at the feet of Ford’s PR department. Obviously, they just don’t know how to kiss butt as well as Holden.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #56
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot
An interesting test would be to post this poll on the LS1 Forum. If the needle even moves off zero (i.e. some of the less blatant Holden fans admit there is a bias) then there is a problem.
I lay the blame for this at the feet of Ford’s PR department. Obviously, they just don’t know how to kiss butt as well as Holden.
I don't know about the "kiss butt" side of things - but Holden's PR department certainly does what its supposed to & has done a very good job for quite some years. Maybe Ford need to learn how to sell its product to the public....... and to motoring journalists.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 08:20 PM   #57
Trendseeker
Regular Guest

I agree. Ford does need to do a better job at stroking the motoring journalists as they carry a reasonable amount of influence. Access to test vehicles, availability of senior execs to take journalists' calls (not fobbing them off), and regular updates and briefings will all help the cause. It's all part of marketing.
Trendseeker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 08:30 PM   #58
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8
certainly does what its supposed to
That is called kissing butt ...

PR people spend an inordinate amount of time massaging egos ... and, if it is well done, you don’t even know that it is happening.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #59
burnz
VFII SS UTE

well 38% is public owned. holden

but i dont know how much is "ford" is australian owned. what %age and who the other part owner is.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 09:02 PM   #60
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Ford in this case:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/30255/fo...final-verdict/

The first true comparison i have seen in some time.
The mainstream media, Wheels et al would not dare print such an article.

Reading throughout this thread, I agree totally that the majority of publications are biased towards Holden and overlook thier shortcomings.

However, to be totally fair, reading the article in the above link I found myself cringing several times at the way the article was structured and worded towards Fords favour.

E.g. "Yes, yes, the Ford may be faster and the Holden may be a touch more economical"
- Fail to menton the Ford was only .12 faster. I would call that a "touch" aswell.

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
sd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post