Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #31
Mingy
Starter Motor

Default Re: In-Car Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshmcmillan View Post
I recently done a LOT of research. It pretty quickly narrowed down to the BlackVue mentioned above or Itronics ITB100HD.

When I bought mine on weeks ago, I bought the iTronics as it was $170 compared to the $260 of the blackvue. The iTronics also takes better videos at night, much better viewing angle and is generally considered a more reliable unit. The Blackvue has a better exterior look in my opinion.

The Blackvue's used to be a lot cheaper until they did a big cut down on people selling them on eBay, as this was mostly people selling them illegally. Not fakes, just unauthorized sellers. iTronics has recently done the same thing, which their unit now being $240 on eBay.

I'd still go the iTronics over the Blackvue from everything I read online. Other than the better viewing angle, the iTronics is also very quick to delete old files when card is full with minimal recording time lost. Plenty of video's on youtube comparing the quality in night and day. iTronics (not unlike the Blackvue) has Full 1080p, GPS sensing with speed in km/h, 6 directional G-Force sensor.

Lastly, for an extra $30-40 you can get either a 'Power Magic' or an 'Uninterrupted power supply' that will cut the power off when in parking mode, if battery goes bellow a set voltage or after a set timer. Any of these will work, some have more time options, and some have more voltage options, price varies, just pick to suit.

I've never tried a cheap one from eBay. But I didn't want to hardwire something cheap and unreliable into my car. I also didn't want something massive and ugly.

(Hint: on B-series falcons buy JayCar part # PP-2066 for $4 and you can make up a plug that will plug straight into the mobile phone kit plug behind fuse panel).

Awesome! quality looks heaps good. is it resistant to shakes & vibration?
Mingy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #32
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Crash Cam ?

A few of us on here have the 'Auto Cam', but they aren't cheap (from $200- $400) all the usual stuff like Full HD, time, date, speed, gps etc.
They come in handy at times if only for entertainment value as Full Noise shows us http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39grA...2_l1WQ&index=9

Whoa!! that looks like looking through one of the door spyholes in Hotels
The NSW Traffic and Highway Patrol Command just posted this vid on their Facebook page, I'm sure they scan youtube for all the footage these cameras are now providing
Old 03-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #33
Tokyo Geoff
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm very interested in these too but so far none of them seem to be clear enough to identify the number plate of a car in front at night.
Geoff
Tokyo Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #34
Joshmcmillan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingy View Post
Awesome! quality looks heaps good. is it resistant to shakes & vibration?
Welcome to FordForums.

I'll upload one of the video's I have and post it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Geoff View Post
I'm very interested in these too but so far none of them seem to be clear enough to identify the number plate of a car in front at night.
Geoff
Mine iTronics will show the number plate of a car at night in front of you if it is within a reasonable different. Unfortunately I haven't saved any night clips to show you (Quiet country roads, rarely follow a car at night).

FG XR6 Turbo, 6 Speed Manual, Silhouette .

12/78 XC Ford Fairmont Project Car. (351, 5spd)
Build Thread: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11444473

1968 Ford F350 LWB Dually. 300 Six, 4 speed. Beavertail project.

Joshmcmillan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #35
XrRabbit
Little Sammy xr6

I wouldn't be surprised if the cops do look through YouTube because so many people break the law and post it on YouTube.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #36
Joshmcmillan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Photobucket seems to have sucked away a fair bit of the quality (compare to the picture on the page before), but here it is anyway just for the above poster to see vibration. This is on a fairly rough road as well.
As for seeing number plates, very clear if the car is directly in front of the camera especially. No matter what the angle is if the car does something to effect your vehicle, you would see it I'd say.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:34 AM   #37
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshmcmillan View Post
Photobucket seems to have sucked away a fair bit of the quality (compare to the picture on the page before), but here it is anyway just for the above poster to see vibration. This is on a fairly rough road as well.
As for seeing number plates, very clear if the car is directly in front of the camera especially. No matter what the angle is if the car does something to effect your vehicle, you would see it I'd say.

Thats a pretty good vid. A bit hard to read the roadsigns unless you pause. Lots of potholes in those areas. Re the first pic, you should have known some little old lady was going to pull in front of you there. She was late getting the books back to the library.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:07 AM   #38
Joshmcmillan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun View Post
Thats a pretty good vid. A bit hard to read the roadsigns unless you pause. Lots of potholes in those areas. Re the first pic, you should have known some little old lady was going to pull in front of you there. She was late getting the books back to the library.
You can read the road signs a fair bit easier (without pausing) in the copy I have straight off the camera. I didn't think photobucket would compress the video that badly.

And haha yeah, it's not uncommon on that street.
Yep plenty of potholes especially in the last few years. My family owns most of the land you can see across from the T-intersection I went through. But at least I'm not forced to drive on gravel.