Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 16-06-2006, 12:56 PM   #31
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOCUSonTHIS
You have to understand that its a sports car.
I think its funnier that you think its a sports car. A 911 is a sports car, a F430 is a sports car, a focus is not. The XR5T is basically a Zetec with a turbo; honestly.

A cosworth is a different story. People who buy XR5T's would hardly, if ever, take it to the track. Its is an exceptionaly good day-to-day car, and to not have cruise as an option is a joke, and will potentailly lose sales, although luckily for Ford Oz numbers are limited anyway.

Just another one of those "why didn't they' things I guess.

:monkes:
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 02:42 PM   #32
Seano
classicford.mine.nu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
I think its funnier that you think its a sports car. A 911 is a sports car, a F430 is a sports car, a focus is not. The XR5T is basically a Zetec with a turbo; honestly.

A cosworth is a different story. People who buy XR5T's would hardly, if ever, take it to the track. Its is an exceptionaly good day-to-day car, and to not have cruise as an option is a joke, and will potentailly lose sales, although luckily for Ford Oz numbers are limited anyway.

Just another one of those "why didn't they' things I guess.

:monkes:
Whilst I agree that the XR5 is not a sports car... to say its "basically a Zetec with a turbo" is far from accurate. Whilst it shares the same body and chassis as Focus Zetec it has different engine, gearbox, suspension, wheels, brakes, seats, stereo... I could go on, but I think you get the point ;)
Seano is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 03:11 PM   #33
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seano
Whilst I agree that the XR5 is not a sports car... to say its "basically a Zetec with a turbo" is far from accurate. Whilst it shares the same body and chassis as Focus Zetec it has different engine, gearbox, suspension, wheels, brakes, seats, stereo... I could go on, but I think you get the point ;)
Yeah I agree, but the body and chassis are the bits that count :eclipsee_

You could get a Zetec, turbo it, change the suspension etc etc and it will be just as good as a XR5T, if not better, as manufacturers have certain limitations.

Anyway, a bit OT; no cruise = dipsh|t Ford (UK).

Actually, id be very suprised if most porches and ferrari's dont have cruise..lol :
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 16-06-2006, 03:24 PM   #34
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Actually, id be very suprised if most porches and ferrari's dont have cruise..lol :

Its optional on a 911 Turbo. And it works from 30kph to 240kph!

Porsche 911 Turbo Features - Under additional Features
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 06:12 PM   #35
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You could get a Zetec, turbo it, change the suspension etc etc and it will be just as good as a XR5T, if not better, as manufacturers have certain limitations.
Hm.. so if i turbo or supercharge my zetec i'll technically have a better car than the xr5 because i've already got cruise... :P
Zetec20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 06:48 PM   #36
Seano
classicford.mine.nu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetec20
Hm.. so if i turbo or supercharge my zetec i'll technically have a better car than the xr5 because i've already got cruise... :P
Seano is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 07:33 PM   #37
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetec20
Ah not quite, but for something like that to be left out in todays society is poor form.

It would be pretty easy, given a large sum of cash, to make a Zetec go as good as a XR5T; but it would still be just a Zetec.

PS - I am not having a go at your precious foci'; Id have a XR5T anyday, it just not the godly gift some make it out to be.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 16-06-2006 at 07:43 PM.
Old 16-06-2006, 07:40 PM   #38
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Polyal - is there a need for personal comments?

Talk about going off topic guys. The Focus XR5T has no cruise control. This is an issue for some, and not for others.

Sure, I have cruise control and love it... but that said, I wouldn't exactly miss it if it was gone. Remember - the Hot Hatch market is a price war at the moment. The Focus is only $1,500rrp more then my current car, yet has more power, is bigger, 1 extra gear, is better built and has more exterior enhancements (bodykit, 18" wheels etc).. but misses out on Cruise Control and Climate Control. Would I be complaining? Not really
Get over it - time to move on!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 07:43 PM   #39
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Polyal - is there a need for personal comments?
Ah pretty sure he had a crack at me, unless of course I read it incorrectly...edited
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 16-06-2006, 11:40 PM   #40
Uni

its a volvo donk.. perhaps volvo cruise control would have worked? sure, it would need adjusting, but Ford would not have had the R&D costs...

Uni/.
Uni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 12:50 AM   #41
Miyagi
fordxr5turbo.com

You have to be confident that with the sales figures for the ST / XR5 in ANY of the introduced markets that they would strongly consider cruise in future models.

For some people it is a HUGE issue... won't hold me back.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:02 PM   #42
vik351
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyagi
You have to be confident that with the sales figures for the ST / XR5 in ANY of the introduced markets that they would strongly consider cruise in future models.

For some people it is a HUGE issue... won't hold me back.
So have ya even got one yet???

vik... :eclipsee_ :eclipsee_ :eclipsee_
vik351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 12:48 AM   #43
Uni

driving down to the snow a few weeks ago, i found the cruise control to be an absolute god-send. made me so much more aware of everything going on around me as i wasnt constantly looking at the speedo while simultaneously scanning for police cars incase i crept over the limit.

depends what sort of driving it is used for i suppose

Uni/.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:44 AM   #44
photn
AFF Post NAZI

i dont understand what all you people are concerned about, i just drove to and from canberra in my little fez. 130 all the way and NO CRUZE control. i understand that people that constantly do it would probably require it, but simply face it, if the car doesnt have cruze control and u buy it knowing that then dont have a winge that it doesnt, wheras u buy it with full intentions of adding one thats a diff story, and im sure the actual topic here was a question in regards to information about INSTALLING and aftermarket CC.

Harpoon as susjested b4 u will need to go to an auto electrician and get a quote, as also stated b4 it depends if the car has an electronic throttle or a physical cable throttle,

Can we Please keep on TOPIC here. im sure HARPOON doesnt want to know about all this crap about other cars otherwise he would have asked it in the question (NOT AN ATTACK ON PEOPLE, JUST STATING THE FACTS!!)

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 07:07 PM   #45
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cruise control is over rated IMHO. Next you'll all be wanting an auto XR5 because you're too lazy to change gears!

Try Google to see if anyone makes something suitable, but there would be far more to it than simply getting the electronic throttle to open. Stuff like ESP and traction control will also be wanting to open/close the throttle so you can't just have the CC module over riding their input!!!
Old 11-08-2006, 07:51 PM   #46
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

Cruise control in little/mid size cars is just WRONG.

By one with it and you'll be bored by the end of the first week.
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2006, 11:08 PM   #47
Fingers
Ex EF Futura Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaNob!
Cruise control in little/mid size cars is just WRONG.

By one with it and you'll be bored by the end of the first week.
????????????
Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2006, 11:11 PM   #48
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Yeah, I dont quite understand the meaning of that statement.

Cruise is a tool. It doesnt matter if its in a big or small car. Its there to make driving long distances easier. The size of the vehicle it is fitted to doesnt make a difference. The funtionality of it is the same.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2006, 12:43 PM   #49
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

What I mean is there's no distractions in a small car. If all you're doing is pointing the car in a direction and letting the computer do the rest it gets dull really quickly on a freeway.

At least if your feet have some thing to do its a little less monotonous.

In a big car I reckon cruise is better suited, those things are meant to be relaxed.

I dunno, it’s more of a personal opinion, that’s all.
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2006, 12:57 PM   #50
Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaNob!
What I mean is there's no distractions in a small car...

At least if your feet have some thing to do its a little less monotonous.
i dunno about that.. i'd say the speedo is a pretty big distraction, as is being paranoid about getting pinged for some tightarse speeding infringement.

makes driving much less tiring

but like u said, its an opinion, and opinions are like *********.

Uni/.
Old 15-08-2006, 07:41 PM   #51
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It all depends on what state you live in too. In SA I reckon you'd have to be doing nearly 10km/h over @ 110km/h before you'd get pulled over or done by a camera. At 60 they seem to give at least a similar percentage of "grace".

I don't like cruise control- it's just another thing to help make you fall asleep on long trips IMHO!
Old 15-08-2006, 11:05 PM   #52
Fingers
Ex EF Futura Driver

I find cruise control a GREAT points (and $$$$$) saver.
Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2006, 12:22 AM   #53
Mick K.

Cool

I don't like the rear fog light - the XR5 has a rear fog light - it is up to the driver to choose whether they use it or not.

I don't like AM stations on the radio - the XR5 has an AM radio - it is up to the driver (or passenger?) to choose whether they use it or not.

I like using cruise control - the XR5 doesn't have it - all of the main competitors do have it - and Ford won't even offer it as an option.

For those that say cruise control is not meant for small "hot" hatches, then that is your opinion and fair enough - but Ford should at least offer it as an option.

I paid extra to have cruise fitted to my Zetec and when I drive a few hours on the highway for work, it is great. On those dead flat 60-70 zones where you know there is a speed camera every other day, it's also great.

When I want to have full control over my speed variations, use the gears, drive twisty roads, then there is a little button on the steering wheel that turns cruise control off. Just because a car has cruise control, doesn't mean it is on all the time.

:

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2006, 06:21 PM   #54
Uni

three cheers for common sense!!!

i cant believe something like cruise control caused so much controversy!

Uni/.
Old 16-08-2006, 09:39 PM   #55
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni
three cheers for common sense!!!

i cant believe something like cruise control caused so much controversy!

Uni/.
There's a simple solution too- don't buy an XR5 if you want cruise control!

:Reverend: