Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-01-2015, 06:10 PM   #31
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Annual road worthy in NSW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Are you bringing your vehicle interstate? If so, you might still need a Pink slip part of the first time registration in NSW. Pretty sure I needed one on the Falcon I bought in Victoria that was brand new but I could be wrong. Worth checking.
THIS

Interstate to NSW may require a full inspection.

Consult RMS
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2015, 06:31 PM   #32
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
I didn't say the system was fool proof, or wasn't open to a few opportunistic operators but as a whole its not a bad system

Bill, Bob & Ben's Tyre's brakes and suspension you went to should have written you out a white slip (failure) I suspect he new he was shonky and giving you a failure for something that clearly isn't leaves the inspection station open to a "Please explain your over zellious inspections) I've had one of these when I had my shop but it was easily explained, I've had plenty more get rejected only to then shop it around and the inspector pay them a visit only to have their car defected and the other shop have their own please explain, in some cases they got a warning in others they got a little holiday from writing regos (word travels fast when your on a strip that has a number of mechanics)
It just highlights the fact that there are dodgy operators out there. All my cars are always roadworthy, and I know that for a fact. When some clown starts to tell me that I need to spend 4 digits for a pink slip I don't entertain them any longer and drive out.

Much the same as many here advise to do when you car is in for a service and you get that expected phone call saying that 'this, that and the other' needs replacing pronto.

All I'm saying is, be aware when you go in for your inspection. Living where I used to live in Sydney the list below is what defined if the car was passed or not by certain inspectors:

* What village you came from 'back home'.
* What second language you spoke.
* Who you were / are mates with.
* What favours you can offer in return (male and female).
* Whether you sported a beard or not.
* If you were 'happy' to pay over the 'correct' fee.
* How busy the workshop was.
* Their mood at that point in time.

Notice none of these have any bearing on the actual vehicle itself?

My personal opinion is that the whole inspection system needs to be better managed. A lot can happen in 12 months.

God - I lost track of the people I used to know who would all swap wheels around to pass the roadworthy only to swap em back the next day to their original near bald tyres to save a buck!

Would love to see more RVT's (Random Vehicle Testing - yes I just made that up!) happening but I guess that doesn't make as much money as speeding 4 km over etc.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-01-2015, 07:21 PM   #33
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Would love to see more RVT's (Random Vehicle Testing - yes I just made that up!) happening but I guess that doesn't make as much money as speeding 4 km over etc.
Almost.......... This happens with Trucks, ask any Truckie what an RTA Shaker is

But my local bloke that does my roadworthy's told me that I can expect a visit from the RMS (RTA) anytime, as they go around the inspection stations and pick cars/owners addresses at random to check out your car at home.

Might be just a country town thing or the RMS could be telling Porkies to keep the testers in line.
Old 13-01-2015, 08:36 PM   #34
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Almost.......... This happens with Trucks, ask any Truckie what an RTA Shaker is

But my local bloke that does my roadworthy's told me that I can expect a visit from the RMS (RTA) anytime, as they go around the inspection stations and pick cars/owners addresses at random to check out your car at home.

Might be just a country town thing or the RMS could be telling Porkies to keep the testers in line.
No happens in Sydney too

Back in the old actual paper pink slip days I've had a guy come in and pull a hand full off cars randomly out of my book

I never heard any more about it from the then RTA but one of my regulars was pulled and he was contacted and inspected

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2015, 08:45 PM   #35
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post

Does this mean the RTA has the authority to enter your private property without your permission to inspect your car?

I know the Police in some cases can come onto your property if they can show cause of a suspected crime, does this extend to the RTA for random inspections as well?
LoudPipes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2015, 09:03 PM   #36
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Vic if we had a vehicle that had a serious safety issue we had the legal right to refuse to let the vehicle be driven from the shop ie it had to be either fixed or towed.I wasn,t interested in getting a RWC testers licence because I wasn,t prepared to put up with the crap from owners who came the old story Oh take it easy mate its only for a rego transfer.Sorry but a Roadworthy is more than a few $$.I can,t just write out a certificate to make the transfer cheaper for you
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2015, 09:29 PM   #37
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPipes View Post
Does this mean the RTA has the authority to enter your private property without your permission to inspect your car?

I know the Police in some cases can come onto your property if they can show cause of a suspected crime, does this extend to the RTA for random inspections as well?
Yeti could probably answer this better than me, but I'd say from his previous post that the owner was contacted and arrangements made for the inspection.
Old 14-01-2015, 12:16 AM   #38
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't know, I doubt it

In my case they contacted my customer to arrange an inspection at a time that was convenient

It wasn't just a walk up and demand

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2015, 12:46 AM   #39
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

An arrangement with a willing customer, fair enough.

And not that I support shonky roadworthy inspectors but the other scenario I mentioned I would believe to be a serious invasion of the customer’s civil liberties.
LoudPipes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2015, 09:26 AM   #40
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
So if brake condition doesn,t matter I don,t suppose ball joints and tierod ends about to fall apart are classed as important either
I took in our work hack Excel to be inspected late last year, and all these things were picked out for replacement, which was fair enough on a 1994 model car.

It had a park light out when I went in, and rather than write that up the mechanic changed it on the spot for me, so he's pretty fair.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2015, 02:43 PM   #41
Brute 33
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Been doing Rego / E Safety inspections for over 25 years and have had plenty of arguments over what people consider their vehicles to be "ROADWORTHY", not so long ago a gentleman presented his vehicle for a "Pinka Slip", and I got in his car and drove it onto the hoist and well didn't he go off , "What are you doing", no no no , etc , alarm bells went off in my head and I said "Is there a problem ?".....You can't do that with my car , well I am and I said , "Isn't your safety important?".....Cut a long story short , vehicle had a big list of defects , and not to be driven ....got my money for my time to inspect his vehicle , handed him the rejection slip , only to see it on the road passed by someone else about a week later...I enquired to the RMS that this vehicle was un-roadworthy , sent in the "CANCELLED" inspection form and asked why haven't one of your inspectors looked at this.....there response was we don't have the financial resources ....and I said well if he kills someone it's your problem , I did my job.

I don't make the rules ...I need to enforce them and make sure your vehicle is "ROADWORTHY" and with a first rego inspection now only required after the first 5 years since the vehicle being built ....it's stupid , as I have seen plenty of vehicles driving around with bald tyres , headlights out and windscreens cracked in drivers view ..."NOT HAPPY JAN"....

Anyway , I sleep well at night knowing that I do thorough inspections of vehicles when presented to me for the annual rego inspections
Brute 33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2015, 05:30 PM   #42
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In my younger years I had my car re-inspected by the RTA 3 times in a 5 year period. They worked around me - twice at home & once at work.
Nothing wrong on each occasion, as I keep my cars in good order. I decided not to bother with the "$21 if we see the car, $100 if we don't" workshops in the local area..... Haven't been re-checked since.

The NSW 5 year rule is crap IMO. I've seen 5 year old company hack utes in worse mechanical shape than 30 year old cars. Some of these have over 600,000km on them before the first inspection at 5 years. Especially those used for pilot work with heavy vehicles.

But then most other states don't have any compulsory inspections unless you go to sell the car.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2015, 06:24 PM   #43
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my old local inspector was a great bloke, started his company just doing inspections, he was firm but fair and always suggested easiest and cheapest ways to get a car passed.

anyway he sold/retired and new guy kept the name, i call him "the rego nazi".

he knocked back everything, had no knowledge of cars, could not tell you how to fix or where to go to get it fixed, I ended up taking my cars to a new place and once, while i was waiting i saw the old rego guy, he now gets his rego's through this place as he said the guy that took over his place is a complete w@nk*r

so its not just mechanics who try to bend you over

also who the f___ inspects taxi's? they are meant to be checked every 6 months but i have been in taxis that skip sideways when they hit a bump.
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2015, 09:10 PM   #44
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am a Fleet inspector for a local gov workshop. the old 16 year old fleet passed easy compared to the recent fleet additions. I have just done the new heavy fleet inspection course and its more to do with not allowing monopoly of inspections and being available to all the public-however our workshop is closed to the public.

our vehicles get the 3 month list of what random vehicles go to RMS so that's a joke. The fleet of hundreds is regoed on one days. safety annual inspections[safety checks] go all year round.

Taxi owned by a fleet might be internal inspection only, with random, by notice or vehicle checked after a crash.

Road side inspections can be stupid-old timers givin me advise have all claimed that in most areas the defects come in in patterns sudgesting that it may have been given to fill statistic targets. I did not say QUOTA. and not proven incorrect.

I once aproached a pacific hyway road block inspection--and was waved through by a inspector telling me they don't inspect older cars.
Davehoos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post