Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Do you flash your lights to warn other drivers of cops ahead?
Yes! 340 84.37%
Fruk Them 63 15.63%
Voters: 403. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26-05-2007, 02:06 AM   #31
matt-chops

Its not so much the "its your own fault for speeding" thing that ****es me off (as much as there really is noone esle to blame), its the simple fact that at least 9 times in 10 that you see police they are issuing speeding tickets (or sitting in the back of a 4WD that does it for them) or booking someone for some kind of motoring infraction.

What happened to good old fashioned police work?

2 years ago when my car was stolen, what happened?... NOTHING. Sweet FA. Maybe its just easier to go issue some more speeding tickets. Just a little too much effort to go and solve some real crime.

There should be a week long TAFE course to become a Traffic Cop and then the real course to become a Real Cop. Set some ******* standards.
matt-chops is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 04:45 AM   #32
peedee

dont care who or what you drive, if you speed deserve to get caught
Spent too many cold nights cutting idiots out of wrecks (as a Volunteer) to warn them drive to the limits and conditions
peedee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 06:02 AM   #33
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

The only times i flash my lights to oncoming traffic is to warn them that they are coming up to a large accident or a major traffic hazrd.

Not only should they already be doing the limit, but its too easy to flash a actual copper then be done for misuse of high-beams (Know a few blokes been done fo it!)
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 06:11 AM   #34
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'll flash my lights, but not if it's a late model falcon/bombadore
Unco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 06:46 AM   #35
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

i'll give 'em a flash whenever i remember to
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 07:26 AM   #36
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'II warn others on speed cameras but I wont flash for RBT stations or police. I do believe mobile police do more for safer roads than cameras... in theory!
cheers
Bill.
Old 26-05-2007, 07:56 AM   #37
XD/F Falc man
Starter Motor

I no the location of alot of fixed speed cameras and like alot of other motorists i slow down when i am going past these sites only to speed up again when im past the cam
and as we all no there are warning signs letting uno a speed cam is ahead so flashing your lights is no diffrent to reading a sign. Tho with light flashing we dont no how far ahead the cops are and some people just flash you for the sake of a flash so it slows you down for maybe 10km then perhaps our speed starts to creep up again.If you get nabbed so be it. I to believe if you cant do the time dont do the crime thing but really our roads are improving our cars are much safer so for me nothing wrong with 10-15k's over the limit on the open road. School zones no excuse dont speed! in town to,built up areas dont speed this is wrong. I some times flash people after seeing a cop but not always,depends what mood im in. Now the people that say they dont speed, ever and are leaving commets on this thread i noticed that your avatars are high performance car pics maybe they should be pics of pedal cars things that go slow eh? and what car in real life are you driving sumfing with grunt perhaps?
Dont get me started with this speeding thing it just opens a can of worms for alot of things we should and shouldnt do on the road.
Have a great day!
XD/F Falc man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 08:15 AM   #38
samsy351
351XB - Underbelly II Car

Yeah I do ,
but if they are driving a HSV I dont flash em !
samsy351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 08:27 AM   #39
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
Your a confused puppy

A real primadona as well.
Old 26-05-2007, 09:21 AM   #40
Rock ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt-chops
Its not so much the "its your own fault for speeding" thing that ****es me off (as much as there really is noone esle to blame), its the simple fact that at least 9 times in 10 that you see police they are issuing speeding tickets (or sitting in the back of a 4WD that does it for them) or booking someone for some kind of motoring infraction.

What happened to good old fashioned police work?

2 years ago when my car was stolen, what happened?... NOTHING. Sweet FA. Maybe its just easier to go issue some more speeding tickets. Just a little too much effort to go and solve some real crime.

There should be a week long TAFE course to become a Traffic Cop and then the real course to become a Real Cop. Set some ******* standards.

So true I have had a $40 000 Dingo stolen and the cops didn't even bother to come and have a look. No money in real crime. I have no respect for cops anymore. They just work for the tax department.

New FG XR6T ZF
Rock ape is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 09:24 AM   #41
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

I flash to warn others, but only since the Vic Govt brought in the draconian 3km/h "tolerance". This was just a cynical revenue raising excercise. I take great exception to such low level infringements copping an instant fine with no recourse.

Before this came in my attitude was anyone speeding by more than 10% deserved to be booked so I never flashed.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 09:42 AM   #42
Ozfords
Girls! Drink! ****! ****!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAGT001
So true I have had a $40 000 Dingo stolen and the cops didn't even bother to come and have a look. No money in real crime. I have no respect for cops anymore. They just work for the tax department.
What magical crime solving device do you think the Police can use to find your Dingo?

1993 ED Fairmont Sedan - I6 - Colbalt Blue
- XH Snorkel
- Superlow Kings Springs and KYB Shocks
- Cross Drilled and Slotted DBA front Discs
- 18" pre-AU GT-P Alloy Wheels
- Ford Original Bootlid Spoiler
Ozfords is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 09:43 AM   #43
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I used to ... but find when i come across a hidden camera .... I never get notified ... and there's so many people driving arouns like idiots that NEED to be caught ... I don't bother warning them ... they need to be caught .... I let them go let them find out the hard way.

So now ... It's a case of if you speed ... you get done. And if I lapse and speed ... and I get caught ... that's my own fault.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 09:46 AM   #44
FPV 5TH

3 km/h tolerance? Yet the car manufacturers have a 10% tolerance for their speedo's :
FPV 5TH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 10:26 AM   #45
alstar5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAGT001
Your joking aren't you? What, did you want them to come out and have a look at the empty yard and say, yeah, they're must have been a dingo there... take fingerprints? DNA? Install a CCTV camera?

Stop watching CSI and other crap shows. I'm sorry about your dingo mate

No money in real crime? Pffft.
2014 - 2014: AUII Futura SR
2015 - 2015: Kawasaki Ninja 650RL
2016 - 2016: Kawasaki Ninja 300
2018 - 2018: VZ Holden Commodore
2019: FG G6 Falcon
alstar5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 10:28 AM   #46
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

He's not talking about a dog ... I am presuming he's talking about a Dingo digger. The buggers aren't cheap.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 10:33 AM   #47
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD/F Falc man
Now the people that say they dont speed, ever and are leaving commets on this thread i noticed that your avatars are high performance car pics maybe they should be pics of pedal cars things that go slow eh? and what car in real life are you driving sumfing with grunt perhaps?
See my signature. That's what I drive. All have the potential to speed and do close to 200km/h, the Peugeot probably could go more than 200km/h. Doesn't mean I'm going to do it though.
I pretty much have the same view on drugs and cigarettes as to what I believe in speeding. They are all a waste of money that you could of spent of something else which is better. In my case, an overseas trip again this year. Alcohol is the only vice that I'll participate in, and I do pay the consequences when I indulge in that a little too much.
My avatar is of a high performance car as I enjoy going to the Clipsal 500 race every year. Have so for every year it has been run apart from the first. Just because I enjoy watching the high performance cars race around a track in a controlled environment doesn't mean I'm going to pretend that I can do the same thing in my highly unmodified road car.
Old 26-05-2007, 10:34 AM   #48
alstar5

I figured he may not be talking about a dog, but I still don't understand why the Police should loose respect because it was stolen.
2014 - 2014: AUII Futura SR
2015 - 2015: Kawasaki Ninja 650RL
2016 - 2016: Kawasaki Ninja 300
2018 - 2018: VZ Holden Commodore
2019: FG G6 Falcon
alstar5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 10:58 AM   #49
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning BF_GT
3 km/h tolerance? Yet the car manufacturers have a 10% tolerance for their speedo's :
i think you'll find it is illegal for car manufacturers to have your speedo reading slower than you are actually going. that is why they can bring in '3km/h' rule. if you get done 3 km over then more than likely your speedo was reading closer to 5-8 km over depending on year of car. newer cars tend to get it pretty close on slower speeds. as your tyres wear it only gets slower not quicker. if you modify your car from how it left the factory then its your responsibility to make sure its o.k.

driving along at 10% above the limit because you think it is o.k. is still speeding. not excessive but enough to line their pockets.

back on topic, i don't flash either. sometimes the best way to learn is experience. just remember next time you flash someone, 2 seconds after they've passed the camera they immediately speed up again. that same person could cause injury or death because you 'saved' them from learning a valuable lesson with financial consequences. this is an extreme scenario but if you get caught speeding enough times then eventually you will learn to slow down EVERY time you drive, not just when a camera is present.

i also think the government should push for heads up displays in all new cars. then we can concentrate more on looking out the big clear thing in front rather than down at the cluster.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 11:13 AM   #50
munchkin323
AU XR6

I wont flash cars that look like the can afford fines such as new BMW's etc, but I'll flash everyone else.
munchkin323 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 11:32 AM   #51
groops

No. The only time I flash my lights is if someone does something stupid in front of me, or if someone is driving with their fog lights on. That bugs me the most. My nice 160W High beams give them a good shock. Prydey, that's not entirely true about it being illeagal with the speedo's. 1. Car manufacturers do it as a safety thing. That way if you are doing 120 you are more likely doing 110 or so... and 2. when I questioned my speedo at ford, they tested it and told me it 6-7% out. I was picking up more metres than what the car was actually travelling. They told me this was normal and informed me that theyre is a 10% tolerance for speedos.

Mike
groops is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 11:33 AM   #52
webby_191189
low wagooon

I did.... Untill i flashed an unmarked cop and got pulled over and warned never to do it again.

webby_191189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 11:40 AM   #53
Ridin-High

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozfords
What magical crime solving device do you think the Police can use to find your Dingo?

Their brain? That's what their paid for

Ps. Yes i have used the search button mum....
Ridin-High is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 11:40 AM   #54
Aeron
DJR Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
I'm one of the people who don't. I don't speed, so I don't get fined. I think that other people should think this way as well.
If you want to disobey the posted speed limit, then be prepared to pay the consequences. If you don't want to pay the consequences, then don't speed. Simple as that.
Im with you. I dont speed. I watch my speedo very closely. If I am speeding its usually just a little squirt for 4 or 5 sec, then back to the speed limit. Im usually the guy in the SS or XR6T in the left lane on the highway with the cruise control set to 110, with everyone else flying by.

When I want to go fast, as fast as I can, I go the race track.
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**

Last edited by Aeron; 26-05-2007 at 11:46 AM.
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 12:02 PM   #55
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

ALWAYS.
Seems the favour never gets returned anymore,just selfishness if you ask me,Im alright Jack F/you.
For the record i dont go more than 10% over the limit..
Speed traps are there to catch as many as they can in a short a space of time as possible,getting the best return for the least outlay,serious road policing would be more mobile radar cars,almost impossible to warn about them,so till they give up the traps I flash...
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 12:21 PM   #56
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I do, but only to cars that either look like they might be speeding or any model Falcon.

NEVER do I let a Commodore driver know of the over-enthusiastic government tax collector hiding in the bushes down the road.
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 01:10 PM   #57
ler

I would especially in areas where the speed limit is unacceptably slow and creates dangers from people slowing down and speeding up. And places where they change speed limits regularly for no reason.
ler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 01:12 PM   #58
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

always and even sometimes when i see an idiot in the hope he takes it easy for several more km's.
common curtosy for sure,i think anyone with the attitude of im ok so bugger you is a real *****.and Un -Australian.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 02:47 PM   #59
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think I'm less likely to speed for the rest of the journey if I get flashed as opposed to getting ticket. I guess its a not push my luck thing compared to driving ****ed off. It is un-Australian not to flash be it on the road or the SCG.
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 03:10 PM   #60
Lumpen Proletariat

I'll flash a car if there is a speed camera, fixed or hidden.

I will not flash for a cop car, on the road or parked next to it. If I get pulled over by a HWP, Fair Cop Guv but I don't the anonimity and outright revenue raising of camera's one little bit.

Drive the Pacific Highway and you realise how little a camera fixed or otherwise does to stem the tide of dangerous, idiotic driving, especially in comparison to even one HWP car.

Lumpy

Dad: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint: Polynesian Green. Auto. Full Exhaust. Chiptorque Chip. 155.4rwkw.

Happy Dealings with: FordFan86 and Matt_971
Lumpen Proletariat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post